Side Project from Songs List

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Side Project from Songs List

Post by Moonbeam »

I posted this in the list thread itself, but it may have gotten lost. If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to organize.

I've thought of a possible side project to this poll. Some of the most exciting games on the forum have been when posters nominate items for inclusion. We all want to cheerlead for our favorites, after all! Anyway, here's what I was thinking:

1. We match up (randomly) users who posted lists for the poll (or those who have a list but were too late to submit).
2. The paired users go through each other's lists to identify the songs that they don't know.
3. Based on these lists, both parties in each pair nominate a certain number (10? 20?) of songs from the list of these unknown songs to listen to and report back!

It might be a good way to "cross-fertilize" the lists if there's interest.

Any takers? We can rotate through all the participants, as well!

Confirmed participants:

1. Moonbeam (December 11 - December 24): Link
2. Henry (December 25 - January 7): Link
3. Zorg (January 8 - January 21): Link
4. Listyguy (January 22 - February 4): Link
5. Honorio (February 5 - February 18): Link
6. whuntva (February 19 - March 4): Link
7. Gillingham (March 5 - March 18)
8. Henrik (March 19 - April 1)
9. Dan (April 2 - April 15)
10. slick (April 16 - April 29): Link
11. Fred (April 30 - May 13): Link
12. TimmyWing (May 14 - May 27)
13. Jackson (May 28 - June 10)
14. nicolas (June 11 - June 24)
15. Nassim (June 25 - July 8)
16. sonofsamiam (July 9 - July 22)
17. JamieW (July 23 - August 5)
Last edited by Moonbeam on Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 am, edited 16 times in total.
Henry
Into the Groove

Re: Side Project from Songs List

Post by Henry »

Count me in.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

And me!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'll, do it, I'm not sure my list is "obscure" enough for a lot of AMers, though. :lol:
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

In
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Any more?
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'd be willing to participate, too. (And I promise not to ask whoever is paired with me to listen to any of my 15-20 minute picks.) Sounds like a fun idea that could produce some rather unpredictable results.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I guess I'm up for this.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

jamieW wrote:I'd be willing to participate, too. (And I promise not to ask whoever is paired with me to listen to any of my 15-20 minute picks.) Sounds like a fun idea that could produce some rather unpredictable results.
Just speaking for myself, but I'd be happy to listen to some of those!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Great idea! I'd like to join as well.

I'd prefer to do about 5 songs though, because 10 and especially 20 seem a bit many to me. I'd rather do a couple of songs good, than a lot of songs less good.
But that's just me. If most people prefer to do more songs, I'll go for that anyway.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Gillingham wrote:Great idea! I'd like to join as well.

I'd prefer to do about 5 songs though, because 10 and especially 20 seem a bit many to me. I'd rather do a couple of songs good, than a lot of songs less good.
But that's just me. If most people prefer to do more songs, I'll go for that anyway.
It's totally up to the participants what they want to do. There doesn't even have to be a fixed number.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Moonbeam wrote:
Gillingham wrote:Great idea! I'd like to join as well.

It's totally up to the participants what they want to do. There doesn't even have to be a fixed number.
Great, I'm definitely in.

Let's see who will be my partner. I'm sure any participant has some interesting songs I don't know yet.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Count me in too.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

This sounds interesting. Sign me up, please.
...will keep us together.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

We now have 10 confirmed participants. I'll keep this open for a few days before we start. I think I'll ask a few questions of those who have confirmed so we can have

Would you be happy to continue until you've been paired with everyone?

If so, should we run this weekly? Bi-weekly?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Moonbeam wrote:Would you be happy to continue until you've been paired with everyone?

I'd be fine checking out everyone's list. I think a week would be adequate time to listen 50 or so songs (depending how far into the list you go), about 7 songs a day.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Bi-weekly could be better for me. It may be difficult to do the songs justice in only one week.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Bi-weekly starting next week is good. I have many things to do. Bi-weekly works best for my schedule.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Count me in... Though I would like to limit it to about 10 songs...
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

I'm in!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Just throwing out a slightly different take - what if everyone focused on the same list each week, changing every week? For instance, everyone explores Moonbeam's list in week 1 using the methodology outlined above, then move to slick's (or whoever) in week 2, etc. I envision the message board dialogue being much more coherent this way. Also, new folks could jump in at any time without disrupting the general flow.

That said, I'm certainly fine with the 1:1 matchups too. Great idea!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Brad wrote:Just throwing out a slightly different take - what if everyone focused on the same list each week, changing every week? For instance, everyone explores Moonbeam's list in week 1 using the methodology outlined above, then move to slick's (or whoever) in week 2, etc. I envision the message board dialogue being much more coherent this way. Also, new folks could jump in at any time without disrupting the general flow.

I really like this idea...
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Brad wrote:Just throwing out a slightly different take - what if everyone focused on the same list each week, changing every week? For instance, everyone explores Moonbeam's list in week 1 using the methodology outlined above, then move to slick's (or whoever) in week 2, etc. I envision the message board dialogue being much more coherent this way. Also, new folks could jump in at any time without disrupting the general flow.

That would be cool as well, but it puts a lot of burden on the person whose list is being examined. For instance, if it was my list, I would have to:

1. Read everyone's list of songs that haven't heard from my list.
2. Read all of their lists to get a sense for what they like.
3. Recommend 10 (or however many) songs to each person based on their list.

I'm not opposed to this alternative, and I can see how it might be fun. Let's see how everyone else feels!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I'd be happy either way, but I slightly prefer the second option of focusing on 1 person's list. I only had a top 200, so hopefully there will be enough songs on my list that people haven't heard. :?
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I like that second option too
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

If we move forward with the one list per week option (which sounds good to me), I recommend that we establish a schedule of which person's list will be used in a particular week so that those of us expecting some time limitations can select a later week in order to have more time to prepare.

One other issue could be when songs have been selected for a listener from someone else's list in an earlier week, are those songs no longer available for selection in later weeks. If that's the case, a record matching listeners to songs selected for them would need to be maintained and made available, or there could be a process where a listener responds to an initial set of songs and informs the selector that some are redundant and the selector may revise those selections at the selector's option.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Moonbeam wrote:We now have 10 confirmed participants. I'll keep this open for a few days before we start. I think I'll ask a few questions of those who have confirmed so we can have

Would you be happy to continue until you've been paired with everyone?

Bi-weekly, for me. And I wouldn't mind doing this for a while, if it's not too time consuming.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to listen to 7 songs a day. Not even close. :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

One more thought - if we go with the option of focusing on a single list at a time, we could make it much more flexible by simply having the list posted and having participants go through the list and listen to however many unknown songs from it that they like.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Moonbeam wrote:One more thought - if we go with the option of focusing on a single list at a time, we could make it much more flexible by simply having the list posted and having participants go through the list and listen to however many unknown songs from it that they like.
I don't know how everyone else feels about it, but I especially like this idea. If we focus on one person's list bi-weekly, it will give each of us time to go through as many unheard songs as we have time to hear, and comment on our favorites. I like the fact that this will allow for more of a focus on the positive (since these are our All-time favorite songs, after all, which means that they are special to each of us in some way). It also allows extra flexibility, since we can listen to as many songs as time allows us with our busy schedules. Great idea, Moonbeam!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I'm in with that idea too !
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:One more thought - if we go with the option of focusing on a single list at a time, we could make it much more flexible by simply having the list posted and having participants go through the list and listen to however many unknown songs from it that they like.
I don't know how everyone else feels about it, but I especially like this idea. If we focus on one person's list bi-weekly, it will give each of us time to go through as many unheard songs as we have time to hear, and comment on our favorites. I like the fact that this will allow for more of a focus on the positive (since these are our All-time favorite songs, after all, which means that they are special to each of us in some way). It also allows extra flexibility, since we can listen to as many songs as time allows us with our busy schedules. Great idea, Moonbeam!
Excellent proposed solution Moonbeam. I think this approach would work very well.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I like your latest idea too, Moonbeam.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

OK, I think we'll go with the newest option bi-weekly! I'll post a proposed schedule in the original post here so that those who want to swap times can have an easy reference.
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

Mind if I join this thing? I was late to the main poll but this game sounds pretty good in itself! :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

TimmyWing wrote:Mind if I join this thing? I was late to the main poll but this game sounds pretty good in itself! :)
Of course! Welcome to the forum. :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

First link is up in the OP.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Late to the party on this, but I'd love to highlight a few from my all-time list that I feel like others haven't heard.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jackson wrote:Late to the party on this, but I'd love to highlight a few from my all-time list that I feel like others haven't heard.
Same for me, I thought it would be something for December/January when I won't have much internet access, but since I can do that later it's fine with me !
By the way Moonbeam, how about a drink in Sydney between the 20th and 23rd of December ? :D
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Moonbeam wrote:
1. Moonbeam (December 11 - December 24): Link
2. Henry (December 25 - January 7)
3. Zorg (January 8 - January 21)
4. Listyguy (January 22 - February 4)
5. Brad (February 5 - February 18)
6. jamieW (February 19 - March 4)
7. whuntva (March 5 - March 18)
8. Gillingham (March 19 - April 1)
9. Henrik (April 2 - April 15)
10. Dan (April 16 - April 29)
11. slick (April 30 - May 13)
12. Fred (May 14 - May 27)
13. TimmyWing (May 28 - June 10)
14. Jackson (June 11 - June 24)
This schedule feels like it leaves a lot of space for breathing. I like how unrushed it is, and I look forward to exploring everyone's lists.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Hey Moonbeam, I think you've forgotten me ! Or maybe I wasn't clear enough, but in fact I'd love to submit my list as well ! June will be great for me, since it will be after my exams
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

nicolas wrote:Hey Moonbeam, I think you've forgotten me ! Or maybe I wasn't clear enough, but in fact I'd love to submit my list as well ! June will be great for me, since it will be after my exams
Sorry I missed you the first time!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Nassim wrote:
Jackson wrote:Late to the party on this, but I'd love to highlight a few from my all-time list that I feel like others haven't heard.
Same for me, I thought it would be something for December/January when I won't have much internet access, but since I can do that later it's fine with me !
By the way Moonbeam, how about a drink in Sydney between the 20th and 23rd of December ? :D
I'm looking after some friends' dog so I probably won't be able to go out in the evening, but I'd be down for something during the day. Maybe go to a record store or grab lunch? We can ask moeboid (who doesn't seem to have signed up to the new forum :( ) if he'd like to come if you want.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Yeah, if there's still room at this party, please count me in. :music-listening:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Moonbeam wrote:
Nassim wrote:
I'm looking after some friends' dog so I probably won't be able to go out in the evening, but I'd be down for something during the day. Maybe go to a record store or grab lunch? We can ask moeboid (who doesn't seem to have signed up to the new forum :( ) if he'd like to come if you want.
Are you up for meeting today or tomorrow during the day sometime?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henry's list is up!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Moonbeam & Friends - I'm sorry to say I think I'll need to drop away from this project for a bit. My wife is due with our second child any day now and the result has been (and will continue to be, obviously) a huge constraint on time.

While I will try to keep up with playlists from everyone, I've come to realize that the commenting will be very difficult and it's probably best I reduce any expectations (not to imply there are a lot to begin with, but I had hoped to provide a bit more input) to a minimum. Anyway, thanks for putting this together Moonbeam, and congrats on your own impending childbirth!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Brad wrote:Moonbeam & Friends - I'm sorry to say I think I'll need to drop away from this project for a bit. My wife is due with our second child any day now and the result has been (and will continue to be, obviously) a huge constraint on time.

While I will try to keep up with playlists from everyone, I've come to realize that the commenting will be very difficult and it's probably best I reduce any expectations (not to imply there are a lot to begin with, but I had hoped to provide a bit more input) to a minimum. Anyway, thanks for putting this together Moonbeam, and congrats on your own impending childbirth!
Good luck to you and your wife, Brad! I hope everything goes smoothly! I'll remove your name for now, but you can always rejoin if you wish.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Moonbeam, if nobody objects, would it be possible to move me down the list a little bit? I noticed that, with Brad having to step aside, I'm up in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of an internship and completing my degree, which has been far more time-consuming than I would've anticipated. I'm still finding time to listen to the lists of others (I'm listening to some selections from Zorg's list right now), but I'm just not sure that I'll have enough time to provide links to 10-20 songs and make comments about the songs on my list, as I'd hoped to do. If it's a problem, please let me know. I will be completely done with school at the end of April. Thanks!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Hi jamieW, I'll see if I can find someone to step in! If not, we can always wait a few weeks - there really should be no pressure with these.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Moonbeam. I figured you probably hadn't seen my post, since I've read in other posts of yours that you've been even busier than me lately (which was why I didn't want to bother you with it again). If you can't find anyone, I can throw something together really quick by Wednesday or so.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”