KROQ question

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

KROQ question

Post by StevieFan13 »

This is a question in regards to a whole load of potential lists: were KROQ's year/decade lists determined by listeners or by the DJs? I ask this because I know some folks here are big fans of its maverick DJ, the one and only Rodney Bingenheimer.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: KROQ question

Post by Hymie »

StevieFan13 wrote:This is a question in regards to a whole load of potential lists: were KROQ's year/decade lists determined by listeners or by the DJs?
Usually it would be neither. The PD would put it together with maybe some assistants.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hymie wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:This is a question in regards to a whole load of potential lists: were KROQ's year/decade lists determined by listeners or by the DJs?
Usually it would be neither. The PD would put it together with maybe some assistants.
In which case, they're eligible! The only (major) requirement for a non-single artist list to be eligible for AM is that it not be determined by a viewer/listener/reader vote. Hot dog!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, the site I found the KROQ lists on also has a bunch of lists from Q101 and 91X, so if anyone knows anything about them, kindly let me know.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

I just checked out the lists. They're fucking awful, almost all white music.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hymie wrote:I just checked out the lists. They're fucking awful, almost all white music.
Definitely an issue, but I do enjoy the music.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

KROQ is public radio?
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:I just checked out the lists. They're fucking awful, almost all white music.
You could have said, "They ignored several genres", instead you went for the "White" angle. WTF does the skin color of the singer has to do with anything when rating music? If you make a list with "Black music" it should be because you love the music, not because you have some kind of weird quota.

Believe it or not, some people have preferences within genres that are predominantly white, for reasons that are strictly about the music, and you need to respect that instead of accusing people of racism every time they make a list that is mostly rock.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jirin wrote:
You could have said, "They ignored several genres", instead you went for the "White" angle. WTF does the skin color of the singer has to do with anything when rating music? If you make a list with "Black music" it should be because you love the music, not because you have some kind of weird quota.

Believe it or not, some people have preferences within genres that are predominantly white, for reasons that are strictly about the music, and you need to respect that instead of accusing people of racism every time they make a list that is mostly rock.
I haven't seen the terms "black music" or "white music" used on the forum since the Bruce days.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:

Honestly, yeah.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I don't think Hymie's statement is necessarily an accusation of racism rather than it is an acknowledgement of a strange bias that exists in music labeling as it refers to "indie" or "alternative" acts. In essence, those terms (which are the genres KROQ focuses on) essentially refer to music that isn't overtly pop that happens to be made by artist that are not black. For example, look at the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. You'd think, based on the name, that this award would go to the best music made that's presented as an alternative to the majority of music and as such, would be a relatively race-neutral term. But in function, the award's 145 nominations over nearly 30 years have been made almost exclusively to non-black acts. The only exceptions have been for Gnarls Barkley (two black musicians, Cee-Lo Green and Danger Mouse), Broken Bells (which features the aforementioned Danger Mouse), and Alabama Shakes (a band of three white members and the mixed-black-and-white Brittany Howard).

Critics have historically used these terms as a means of suggesting whiteness. Even if a black artist were to release an album in line with the aesthetics of so-called "indie" music, they would be categorized as rap or R&B. Look at someone like Frank Ocean, who releases indie-tinged albums that directly reference Radiohead, but who gets considered an R&B artist because he has a soulful Black artist. I don't think Hymie's comment should be construed as an attack, but rather an opportunity for us to look more closely at the terminologies that influence so much of music discussion in the modern era.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I meant to add another point to that post, because while these terms have been historically used as signifiers of whiteness, they've recently enjoyed another expression in the form of artists such as Mitski, Japanese Breakfast, or Jay Som. The terminology still refers to the same aesthetics of music, but include Asian-American artists. While yes, more inclusive, they do represent a sort of anti-blackness in their exclusion of Black artists. And naturally, no one knows where to put TV on the Radio in this discussion.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:

I don't mince words. That station clearly ignores most music that is not made by white people. If you don't think that racism is behind it, you've being very naive.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

acroamor wrote:I don't think Hymie's statement is necessarily an accusation of racism rather than it is an acknowledgement of a strange bias that exists in music labeling as it refers to "indie" or "alternative" acts. In essence, those terms (which are the genres KROQ focuses on) essentially refer to music that isn't overtly pop that happens to be made by artist that are not black. For example, look at the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. You'd think, based on the name, that this award would go to the best music made that's presented as an alternative to the majority of music and as such, would be a relatively race-neutral term. But in function, the award's 145 nominations over nearly 30 years have been made almost exclusively to non-black acts. The only exceptions have been for Gnarls Barkley (two black musicians, Cee-Lo Green and Danger Mouse), Broken Bells (which features the aforementioned Danger Mouse), and Alabama Shakes (a band of three white members and the mixed-black-and-white Brittany Howard).

Critics have historically used these terms as a means of suggesting whiteness. Even if a black artist were to release an album in line with the aesthetics of so-called "indie" music, they would be categorized as rap or R&B. Look at someone like Frank Ocean, who releases indie-tinged albums that directly reference Radiohead, but who gets considered an R&B artist because he has a soulful Black artist. I don't think Hymie's comment should be construed as an attack, but rather an opportunity for us to look more closely at the terminologies that influence so much of music discussion in the modern era.
Yes, many of the terms used are code words for "no black acts here."

Why are artists like Wilson Pickett, the Isley Brothers and even Stevie Wonder not played on so called "classic rock" stations?

What makes records by the Kinks, The Who and the Rolling Stones "classic rock" but makes records by the Temptations, Wilson Pickett and Aretha Franklin not "classic rock?"
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:

And therein lies the problem. The assumption that "rock" means white guys with guitars. Black music is just as much "rock" as any of the stuff played on that station. Rock music was started by blacks, and white people don't get to redefine "rock" as just the guitar driven part of rock that most white acts drift to. Hip Hop, Funk, R&B and soul are just as much a part of "rock" as heavy metal, indie, alternative and prog.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hymie wrote:
Jirin wrote:

And therein lies the problem. The assumption that "rock" means white guys with guitars. Black music is just as much "rock" as any of the stuff played on that station. Rock music was started by blacks, and white people don't get to redefine "rock" as just the guitar driven part of rock that most white acts drift to. Hip Hop, Funk, R&B and soul are just as much a part of "rock" as heavy metal, indie, alternative and prog.
Fair point.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: WTF does the skin color of the singer has to do with anything when rating music?
Do you think it's just a coincidence that 99% of what that station plays is made by white acts?

Do you think that it's just a coincidence that so called styles like "Indie" and "alternative" are made almost exclusively by white acts?

Clearly there is a huge correlation between music styles and skin color, both with the artists and the listeners. If music was truly colorblind you would not have such polarization among that artists and the listeners. And you would have a lot more mixed race bands. It's fairly rare for a band to be of mixed race the way that Booker T and the MG's were, 2 black members and 2 white members.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Listyguy wrote: I haven't seen the terms "black music" or "white music" used on the forum since the Bruce days.
For those who weren't on this forum in 2014, see this thread and you'll understand what I mean: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... =50#p27643
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hymie wrote:It's fairly rare for a band to be of mixed race the way that Booker T and the MG's were, 2 black members and 2 white members.
The E Street Band?
Chicago?
Dave Matthews Band?
Lighthouse?
Arcade Fire?
Bruce Hornsby and the Range?
Counting Crows?
Hootie and the Blowfish?
Every jazz act post 60s?

There are lots of biracial/multi-racial mainstream acts, many of whom I'm sure are represented on the KROQ list.

It is true that commercial radio in major U.S. markets has always represented something of a colour barrier, but in reality that has much more to do with format differentiation than racism. How many "white" acts (and it makes my skin crawl just to type that) appear on R&B format stations? How many "black" acts on country radio? The real question is, who cares? I listen to mostly singer/songwriter stuff. I really don't care what ethnicity the girl with guitar is, I just wanna hear the girl sing. Since the days of Carole King/Joan Baez/Joni Mitchell girls with guitars tend to be white. But some of the best aren't. It reminds me of these lines from one of my favourite singer/songwriters

"I heard somebody say once I was way too black
And someone answers she's not black enough for me"

Edit; Just looked at the 2010 KROQ list for example; of the top ten, Muse, The Temper Trap and Linkin Park certainly have non-white members; Arcade Fire is at eleven. Since The Dirty Heads, a local stoner surf band takes up two of the top ten spots, that's really four multi-racial lineups in the top ten bands.
Last edited by DocBrown on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

DocBrown wrote:
Hymie wrote:It's fairly rare for a band to be of mixed race the way that Booker T and the MG's were, 2 black members and 2 white members.
The E Street Band?
They had one black member, right? I specifically mentioned an act (MG's) that had more than one white member and more than one black member. Yes, there are some acts where there is one token black or one token white, but few where there are more than one.
DocBrown wrote: It is true that commercial radio in major U.S. markets has always represented something of a colour barrier, but in reality that has much more to do with format differentiation than racism.
No, it comes with racism. Advertisers in the 60s did not want to pitch their products to non whites who they thought could not afford their products, so program directors had to devise a way to try and not attract many non white listeners, so they did that by playing very little music by non white performers. They did it under the guise of "rock" music, as if only the white guys were playing "rock" music. This has proliferated all the way through to today.

I've worked with and at radio stations where they right out told me that they don't play "nigger" music. The PD at WLS, the biggest Top 40 station in Chicago in the 60s and 70s, was quoted as saying "Aretha Franklin will never be number one on my station."
DocBrown wrote: How many "white" acts appear on R&B format stations?
Way more than black acts played on "classic rock" radio or on KORQ. The Rascals, Righteous Brothers, Mar-Keys, Flaming Ember, Soul Survivors, Rare Earth, Elton John, Bobby Caldwell, Tina Marie, George Michael, Michael Bolton and dozens of other white acts had legitimate black chart hits in the 60's, 70s and 80s. Even Frank Sinatra had a couple of big hits on the black chart. "That's Life" was number one on the Cash Box soul (black) chart in 1966.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hymie wrote:
DocBrown wrote:
The E Street Band?
They had one black member, right? I specifically mentioned an act (MG's) that had more than one white member and more than one black member. Yes, there are some acts where there is one token black or one token white, but few where there are more than one.
You're from New Jersey and you've never once seen so much as a photo of the E Street Band? They have always had at least two core members who were black (David Sancious and Clarence Clemons). As for "tokens", it seems AMF always have to have a token asshole.

As for the examples I listed (off the top of my head), only two have a single black member, Hootie and the Counting Crows. In both cases it is the bandleader.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

DocBrown wrote:[
You're from New Jersey and you've never once seen so much as a photo of the E Street Band? They have always had at least two core members who were black (David Sancious and Clarence Clemons).
Which one is he?

DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Alright you got me. David Sancious left the band in 1974, replaced by Roy Bittan. For some reason I thought he was with them longer than that. I'm currently reading Bruce's autobiography, he actually bemoans the necessary band changes in the early years, and talks about the racial tensions in clubs along the Jersey shore in the mid 70s. A good read. Unlike every one of your posts.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

DocBrown wrote:Alright you got me. David Sancious left the band in 1974, replaced by Roy Bittan. For some reason I thought he was with them longer than that. I'm currently reading Bruce's autobiography, he actually bemoans the necessary band changes in the early years, and talks about the racial tensions in clubs along the Jersey shore in the mid 70s. A good read. Unlike every one of your posts.
"Racial tensions."

It's not good for solving those racial tensions if people like you are so against even discussing them.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Well, maybe it's time to stop this discussion. Every time this issue appears on the forum things quickly escalate and end badly. Moreover this is an almost entirely American-related question that few of us can really understand from outside the US. No one in Europe (well, at least in Spain) can accuse someone of racism for liking Rock music more than other styles of music. Seen like this we are all racists, my own lists feature little music coming from Asia or Arabian countries for instance. Thinking about it, I got no songs or artists from Finland on my lists, surely I hate Finnish people.
Only joking, of course. Please, Bruce, I kindly ask you to stop taking here again these kind of debates and go back to the more kind and gentle attitude you were showing in other recent threads (like the Beach Boys poll)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

DocBrown wrote: As for the examples I listed (off the top of my head), only two have a single black member, Hootie and the Counting Crows. In both cases it is the bandleader.
Doc, where did you get the idea that Adam Duritz is black (or biracial)? Please don't say "because he has dreadlocks"...

Also, surprised that no one (I think) has pointed out that at least two black artists do get regular airplay on classic-rock stations: Jimi Hendrix and Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy). Not that that does anything to refute Hymie's basic arguments about the racial divide, but it's worth noting anyway.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Isn't Duritz descended from Sephardic jews?

According to Wikipedia, he's descended from Russian jews. My mistake. I did assume he was bi-racial, but no it has nothing to do with dreads. I should not have referred to him in my last post as black at any rate. As Honorio points out, Bruce always triggers my worst instincts.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
DocBrown wrote: As for the examples I listed (off the top of my head), only two have a single black member, Hootie and the Counting Crows. In both cases it is the bandleader.
Doc, where did you get the idea that Adam Duritz is black (or biracial)? Please don't say "because he has dreadlocks"...

Also, surprised that no one (I think) has pointed out that at least two black artists do get regular airplay on classic-rock stations: Jimi Hendrix and Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy). Not that that does anything to refute Hymie's basic arguments about the racial divide, but it's worth noting anyway.
It's also about the fuzzy definition of "classic rock" vs. "oldies." It makes sense to hear, say, "My Girl" and "Last Train to Clarksville" back-to-back on a '60s throwback station, but it might be a little odder to hear "My Girl" in the same company as "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Whole Lotta Love," which are the kinds of songs I typically hear classic rock stations playing these days (save for an occasional treat like "Once in a Lifetime" or something like that).
Also, in general, classic rock stations these days don't seem to be as fond of the '60s as before, unless it's the late '60s and harder stuff (Stones, Who, Hendrix, Zeppelin - Beatles seem to always be the exception). The earliest classic rock I can think of that's still getting regular rotation on classic rock stations is stuff like "House of the Rising Sun," which is noticeably harder than stuff like "I'm a Believer" or "I'm Into Something Good."
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

StevieFan13 wrote: Also, in general, classic rock stations these days don't seem to be as fond of the '60s as before, unless it's the late '60s and harder stuff (Stones, Who, Hendrix, Zeppelin - Beatles seem to always be the exception). The earliest classic rock I can think of that's still getting regular rotation on classic rock stations is stuff like "House of the Rising Sun," which is noticeably harder than stuff like "I'm a Believer" or "I'm Into Something Good."
Why would they not play things like "War" by Edwin Starr or "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder" or "That Lady" by the Isley Brothers" or "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by the Temps?

Why is "Behind Blue Eyes" okay, but not "Lean On Me" or "Ain't No Sunshine?"

I think we know why.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Hymie wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Also, in general, classic rock stations these days don't seem to be as fond of the '60s as before, unless it's the late '60s and harder stuff (Stones, Who, Hendrix, Zeppelin - Beatles seem to always be the exception). The earliest classic rock I can think of that's still getting regular rotation on classic rock stations is stuff like "House of the Rising Sun," which is noticeably harder than stuff like "I'm a Believer" or "I'm Into Something Good."
Why would they not play things like "War" by Edwin Starr or "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder" or "That Lady" by the Isley Brothers" or "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by the Temps?

Why is "Behind Blue Eyes" okay, but not "Lean On Me" or "Ain't No Sunshine?"

I think we know why.
I always thought it was more about American vs British music than white vs black. British were really good exporting their music during 60's and 70's throught Americas and Europe.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

panam wrote: I always thought it was more about American vs British music than white vs black. British were really good exporting their music during 60's and 70's throught Americas and Europe.
White music vs. black music (my gosh I hate those color-based qualifiers)
American music vs. British music
American & British music vs. Australian & New Zealand music (yes, it's a thing)
English-speaking music (including rock music) vs. rest of the world music (including rock music)
What local critics in one country think is acclaimable music from their country vs. what foreign critics think is acclaimable music from their country (yes, it's a thing too)
Rock music & affiliates vs. rest of music styles
Western world music vs. rest of the world world music
Critically acclaimed music vs. commercially successful but critically panned music
Elitist and "knowledgeable people" music vs. proletariat music
Pitchfork and related publications music vs. Classic Rock and related publications music
New York critics vs. Other American and elsewhere critics
Very produced music from major labels vs. indie and alternative music
Songwriting vs. instrumental prowess
Artistry vs. Craftsmanship

Choose the fracture line that you like best. There's a reason I'm largely removing myself from music discussions these days. I find all of this so pointless and stupid.
Last edited by Pierre on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Pierre wrote:
panam wrote: I always thought it was more about American vs British music than white vs black. British were really good exporting their music during 60's and 70's throught Americas and Europe.
English-speaking music (including rock music) vs. rest of the world music (including rock music)
Critically acclaimed music vs. commercially successful but critically panned music
Pitchfork and related publications music vs. Classic Rock and related publications music

Choose the fracture line that you like best. There's a reason I'm largely removing myself from music discussions these days. I find all of this so pointless and stupid.
I'm not trying to bring any kind of stupid music discussion, I'm just trying to talk about the exporting of music. During rock and roll golden era American and British music competed for spaces in the media (not only musician, I'm talking about labels, managers, etc).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

panam wrote:
Pierre wrote:
What local critics in one country think is acclaimable music from their country vs. what foreign critics think is acclaimable music from their country (yes, it's a thing too)
New York critics vs. Other American and elsewhere critics
Songwriting vs. instrumental prowess
Artistry vs. Craftsmanship

I'm not trying to bring any kind of stupid music discussion, I'm just trying to talk about the exporting of music. During rock and roll golden era American and British music competed for spaces in the media (not only musician, I'm talking about labels, managers, etc).
Sorry, that wasn't really a reaction to your post but to that of Bruce/Hymie above and in general, and more globally the way people approach music and music discussions these days. I've been having "music and music critics chapels segregation" fatigue for quite a while now, and I felt the need to vent off.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

So, while I have y'all here: are 91X and Q101 lists chosen in the same/a similar way?
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

This whole race discussuion is so pointless nowdays. You can literally listen to anything you want to with youtube/spotify so its not like certain music is unaccessable or silenced because of race or any other superficial quality. Why not just enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy without throwing accusations of racism/sexism etc. about?
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jap123 wrote:This whole race discussuion is so pointless nowdays. You can literally listen to anything you want to with youtube/spotify so its not like certain music is unaccessable or silenced because of race or any other superficial quality. Why not just enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy without throwing accusations of racism/sexism etc. about?
Yes, individual listeners can, but stations like this one have a lot of influence over low information listeners, which most people are. That's why so much of the public sees "rock" as almost exclusively a white genre, because that's all they hear on so called "classic rock" stations.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”