Artist poll this year?

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Artist poll this year?

Post by Moonbeam »

Hi everyone,

As we conducted an album poll in 2017 and a song poll in 2018, tradition would have it that we would hold an artist poll this year. Has anybody decided any details about such a poll (who will run it, what the deadline would be, the maximum list size, etc.)? I've come up with a formula for my own list that has me excited about the prospect of such a poll, so thought I would see if and when it is on the horizon.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Artist poll this year?

Post by Rob »

I sure want one, but I won't be the poll runner.
I also think others than me are better with formulas and the like.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

I would be happy to run one if that helps, is there a previous one I could look at to see what is involved?
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

TheLastEnemy wrote:I would be happy to run one if that helps, is there a previous one I could look at to see what is involved?
There's a thread here that contains links to pages from each of the last 4 artist polls, if that helps! I think the standard thing to do is to accept ballots over a period of a few months with up to 100 entries, and then employing some point system to determine the final ranking.

I had thought about whether extending the ballots to maybe 200 artists would be a good or bad thing, and whether sharing an initial spreadsheet with all artists who had placed in previous polls might reduce the workload - happy to help with these sorts of things (initialising a spreadsheet, etc.) if that would be useful.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Thanks Moonbeam, have had a look at the thread and found the spreadsheets. I think extending to 200 artists would be easy enough to do if people are up for that.

Any thoughts on when would be a good time to run it?
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

I guarantee that my list will have more acts on it that no one else votes for than anybody else!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote:I guarantee that my list will have more acts on it that no one else votes for than anybody else!
Do not underestimate my desire to hand in a list containing only Dutch artists who make music for carnaval in the Limburg province. That sounds like this:

You've been warned! Don't provoke me.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:
Hymie wrote:I guarantee that my list will have more acts on it that no one else votes for than anybody else!
Do not underestimate my desire to hand in a list containing only Dutch artists who make music for carnaval in the Limburg province.
LOL!!!

Hey, they sound better to me than a lot of the stuff in your "Biggest Fan" thread.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

TheLastEnemy wrote:Thanks Moonbeam, have had a look at the thread and found the spreadsheets. I think extending to 200 artists would be easy enough to do if people are up for that.

Any thoughts on when would be a good time to run it?
I'm not sure about a time. The results for the last poll started to be revealed in July, and in October for the previous offering. So maybe an idea would be to open ballots as soon as you are ready but accept them until June or July? That would give people time to compile and update their lists with any discoveries from the current games.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Perfect idea Moonbeam. Therefore I would like to open the ballots today and give people a deadline of 30th June.

Some advice please - should I start a new thread? And is it better for people to PM me or post publicly, or does it not matter?

Very comfortable with the Excel side of things, just haven't been here that long.

Thank you
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I would open a new topic. I think in these polls it is usual to post the list in the thread.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Thanks Rob, will do
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

TheLastEnemy wrote:I would be happy to run one if that helps, is there a previous one I could look at to see what is involved?
Great! Thanks for hosting.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”