Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

TheLastEnemy
Let's Get It On
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by TheLastEnemy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Henrik, have made the changes but can't attach the files here as they are too big - how can I get them to you?

Harold
Shake Some Action
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Harold » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Henrik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I had a look at the EOY sheets and saw that artists in the 2011-2013 albums lists ... are listed as "Surname, Firstname" and "Band, The". In all other sheets artists are listed as "Firstname Surname" and "The Band".
That was my fault - sorry for the extra work!

Harold
Shake Some Action
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Harold » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Henrik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:59 pm
Harold wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am
I can take on the end-of-year spreadsheet again, although this will probably be the last year I do it and I may not be able to post updates as frequently as I have in the past. I can also get the ball rolling, at least, on the EOD spreadsheet too. Please feel free to send me both spreadsheet templates whenever you create them (I had actually been thinking about using my 2000s EOD spreadsheet as a starting point for the new one).
Thanks Harold! It means so much!!! :happy-partydance:
But do really want to do two spreadsheets?
Well, like I said, I can get the ball rolling on the EODs; I have a feeling those are going to keep coming sporadically well into 2020. If keeping track of both EOYs and EODs becomes too much I'll pass the EODs on to someone else. After reading your plans for the spreadsheet, I'm glad I hadn't started anything yet!

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 pm

TheLastEnemy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm
Hi Henrik, have made the changes but can't attach the files here as they are too big - how can I get them to you?
Great! That was quick! You can send an email to acclaimedmusic@gmail.com
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Harold
Shake Some Action
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Harold » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Henrik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I'm planning to include all albums from the EOY sheets in a massive template for the EOD lists, with a EOY score column that is not used for the EOD sheet ranking, but will be useful for me when deciding what albums that will be added to the site next year. For example an album that is included in two EOD lists will probably be added to the site if it has a decent EOY score as well (i.e. if it was mentioned in a few EOY lists), otherwise not.
(Of course, I' planning the same thing for the songs template sheet.)
How are you going to handle albums and songs that received mentions in more than one year (e.g., Beyonce and Black Messiah)? (The most extreme case of this is the debut by Christine And The Queens, which - in its French and English-language versions - appears, if I'm remembering correctly, on EOY lists in three different years!)

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Harold wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 pm
Henrik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I'm planning to include all albums from the EOY sheets in a massive template for the EOD lists, with a EOY score column that is not used for the EOD sheet ranking, but will be useful for me when deciding what albums that will be added to the site next year. For example an album that is included in two EOD lists will probably be added to the site if it has a decent EOY score as well (i.e. if it was mentioned in a few EOY lists), otherwise not.
(Of course, I' planning the same thing for the songs template sheet.)
How are you going to handle albums and songs that received mentions in more than one year (e.g., Beyonce and Black Messiah)? (The most extreme case of this is the debut by Christine And The Queens, which - in its French and English-language versions - appears, if I'm remembering correctly, on EOY lists in three different years!)
Generally I would say that scores from different eoy sheets should be summed up.

However, I think that in some songs spreadsheets placements from a previous year are included again in a new spreadsheet. Then the sum of scores would be too high. Is this ever the case for the albums spreadsheets?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Harold
Shake Some Action
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Harold » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:54 am

Henrik wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:27 pm
Generally I would say that scores from different eoy sheets should be summed up.

However, I think that in some songs spreadsheets placements from a previous year are included again in a new spreadsheet. Then the sum of scores would be too high. Is this ever the case for the albums spreadsheets?
In all of my EOY albums spreadsheets, I've only included placements for that specific year. It wouldn't even occur to me to include rankings from a previous year.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Here are the EOD and EOY templates for albums. National lists should be entered in columns GA-HA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Sweepstakes Ron
Higher Ground
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Would the EOY template for songs need to be any different? Or can I just use the one above?
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Would the EOY template for songs need to be any different? Or can I just use the one above?
I didn’t know you wanted to take them! Thanks!!!

The EOY template is the same for albums and songs, but I have a separate EOD songs template with all songs listed from the EOY sheets (and their EOY scores). I can post that one tomorrow morning, but then it will be full of duplicate entries from the EOY sheets. See discussion above between me and Harold. Is that ok?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Sweepstakes Ron
Higher Ground
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Henrik wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Would the EOY template for songs need to be any different? Or can I just use the one above?
I didn’t know you wanted to take them! Thanks!!!

The EOY template is the same for albums and songs, but I have a separate EOD songs template with all songs listed from the EOY sheets (and their EOY scores). I can post that one tomorrow morning, but then it will be full of duplicate entries from the EOY sheets. See discussion above between me and Harold. Is that ok?
I was actually going to do EOY this year, as in 2016 and 2017. It seemed like you already started on EOD, so I figured you'd continue that at least until someone else decides to take over. I, however, already stated my intention to do EOY specifically.
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Henrik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:17 pm
Henrik wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm
Would the EOY template for songs need to be any different? Or can I just use the one above?
I didn’t know you wanted to take them! Thanks!!!

The EOY template is the same for albums and songs, but I have a separate EOD songs template with all songs listed from the EOY sheets (and their EOY scores). I can post that one tomorrow morning, but then it will be full of duplicate entries from the EOY sheets. See discussion above between me and Harold. Is that ok?
I was actually going to do EOY this year, as in 2016 and 2017. It seemed like you already started on EOD, so I figured you'd continue that at least until someone else decides to take over. I, however, already stated my intention to do EOY specifically.
It’s great that you will do the eoy songs sheet! I might add a couple more lists to the eod sheet, but I’m also happy to hand it over to someone else.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Harold
Shake Some Action
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Site update 2019: HELP WANTED!

Post by Harold » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:54 am

Henrik wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm
Here are the EOD and EOY templates for albums. National lists should be entered in columns GA-HA.
Thanks, Henrik!

Post Reply