Should The Carters' music be listed under Beyoncé and Jay-Z as well?

Henrik
Site Admin

Should The Carters' music be listed under Beyoncé and Jay-Z as well?

Post by Henrik »

Quoted from another topic:
Jimoincolor wrote:Interestingly, Pitchfork credits Beyoncé & Jay-Z as the artists behind the EIL project, and not The Carters. I know it is the same thing (this is their last name, not a group name or something), but I have a feeling that Acc. Music will separate the credits and consider it a different group, which will be very weird.
I think The Carters should have its own entry on AM. And I don't think I have ever given credit to separate members in addition to the main entry. But The Carters have, so far, been presented as a collaboration rather than a band, so maybe it would be correct to also give separate credits to Beyoncé & Jay-Z.

Thoughts? Does anyone reckon any past similar projects?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
panam
Full of Fire

Re: Should The Carters' music be listed under Beyoncé and Jay-Z as well?

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:Quoted from another topic:
Jimoincolor wrote:Interestingly, Pitchfork credits Beyoncé & Jay-Z as the artists behind the EIL project, and not The Carters. I know it is the same thing (this is their last name, not a group name or something), but I have a feeling that Acc. Music will separate the credits and consider it a different group, which will be very weird.
I think The Carters should have its own entry on AM. And I don't think I have ever given credit to separate members in addition to the main entry. But The Carters have, so far, been presented as a collaboration rather than a band, so maybe it would be correct to also give separate credits to Beyoncé & Jay-Z.

Thoughts? Does anyone reckon any past similar projects?
It reminds me to The Throne, the project of Jay Z with Kanye. The same case.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I think it'd be good to list the entry under Beyoncé & Jay-Z, as well. I'd obviously feel differently if The Carters were a band or family act (like "The Jacksons"), but this was only the two as a duo. I don't think it's any different than "Crazy in Love" or "Drunk in Love," which are listed under both artists on AM. They just decided to change their name to "The Carters," since they are now a married couple. I hope this makes sense!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Is boygenius going to be its own entry? They're credited individually on Spotify but the band in other places.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BleuPanda wrote:Is boygenius going to be its own entry? They're credited individually on Spotify but the band in other places.
I’m thinking that both boygenius and Kids See Ghosts will have their own entries, and that their albums and songs will not be listed on the group members’ pages. Like Run the Jewels or any old supergroup.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

jamieW wrote:I'd obviously feel differently if The Carters were a band or family act (like "The Jacksons"), but this was only the two as a duo.
Curiously enough, I came into this topic thinking, "I'd obviously feel differently if EIL was a good album." As it is otherwise, uh... sure? Individual? Whatever. Such is life.

Agree with the above that KSG and boygenius having their own entries is probably fair. But maybe a more complete way of linking individual artists to their included groups is for the future of this site.
Jimoincolor
Let's Get It On

Post by Jimoincolor »

One thing to be noticed here as well is that "Everything is Love" is listed on Beyoncé's official site as one of her albums: https://beyonce.com/album/everything-is-love/credits/

As cited above, the tour that promoted the project was under "Beyoncé & Jay-Z", and not "The Carters"

I think is very safe to say that this album is a collaborative project under their marriage name, nothing more than that. It's not a new group.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”