Best Ever Choruses Poll 2019- POLL CLOSED. Off-topic thread

andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Re: Best Ever Choruses Poll 2019

Post by andyd1010 »

Wezzo wrote: Nice of you to take the time to do this, makes the poll feel really friendly and communal!
Agreed!

Glad you enjoyed Never Is a Promise, mileswide. I love that album, and that chorus in particular really gets me. The way she sings “you’ll never understand” that final time really makes me believe she means it, which makes it all the more powerful.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Wezzo wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 am Nice of you to take the time to do this, makes the poll feel really friendly and communal!
It's just my sign of gratitude for everyone putting so much effort, thought and time into their song choices, most of which won't make it past the post-results spreadsheet, so I wanted to celebrate what I found to be the best of the rest :)
andyd1010 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:07 am Glad you enjoyed Never Is a Promise, mileswide. I love that album, and that chorus in particular really gets me. The way she sings “you’ll never understand” that final time really makes me believe she means it, which makes it all the more powerful.
It's insane she was making music like this in her teens, already with such a depth to her voice and songwriting, clearly showing intelligence (and bitterness) beyond her years.

Right, if we're all ok to, let's get the results underway! To do so, I'll be opening a new thread, helpfully titled Best Ever Choruses Poll 2019- RESULTS.

I'd say this thread can by all means still be active, say if anyone wants to single out for praise their favourites from other people's lists or their own list.

I imagine it'll be of most use for off-topic matters. I encourage passionate conversation and debate in the results thread but I know some people don't like to see predictions, so if anyone would prefer not to have them in the rollout thread, I'll ask that they make them here.

This can also be used as a 'time-out' section if the tone of any discussion starts resembling The Battle of Velvet Underground on the AT Artists Poll...

Anyway, that's long enough of a preamble, see you on the other side for the results!
All I got inside is vacancy!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Honorio wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm So this is my choruses Top 100.
Honorio, I got your private message but it doesn't look like you've got mine again! I'll use your last enclosed spreadsheet, just let me know if you spot any more discrepancies and I'll do the same. If there's anything I can improve upon in the rollout, please say as well. Thanks for everything as ever :mrgreen:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I know my #1 is Like A Rolling Stone but beyond that, no idea. The next 100 might be extremely hard to order. I'll probably end up just throwing everything that strikes me as a top tier chorus on the list and taking a minute or so to drag them around.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Decided to edit myself to 50, after that I'd probably be including ones that should be lower than ones I didn't remember.

1. Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
2. Pulp - Common People
3. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
4. Prince - When Doves Cry
5. The Who - Won’t Get Fooled Again
6. The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses
7. Sinead O Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
8. Live - Lightning Crashes
9. Cee Lo Green - Fuck You
10. Lorde - Royals
11. The Human League - Don’t You Want Me
12. J Giels Band - Centerfold
13. Michael Jackson - Beat It
14. The Supremes - Keep Me Hangin On
15. Daft Punk - Get Lucky
16. Dexy’s Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
17. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
18. Live - I Alone
19. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
20. Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
21. En Vogue - Don’t Let Go
22. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
23. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
24. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
25. Radiohead - Creep
26. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
27. The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
28. Prince - I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
29. Green Day - Basket Case
30. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
31. Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
32. U2 - Mysterious Ways
33. The Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday
34. The Verve Pipe - The Freshmen
35. The National - Fake Empire
36. The Knife - We Share Our Mothers Health
37. Aretha Franklin - Respect
38. Stone Temple Pilots - Plush
39. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
40. Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
41. Stevie Wonder - Uptight
42. The Flaming Lips - Fight Test
43. Everclear - Santa Monica
44. The Ronettes - Be My Baby
45. The Knife - Pass This On
46. Tonic - If You Could Only See
47. The Strokes - Last Nite
48. REM - Losing My Religion
49. Metallica - Unforgiven
50. Weezer - Buddy Holly
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Jirin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm Decided to edit myself to 50, after that I'd probably be including ones that should be lower than ones I didn't remember.
I feel awful Jirin but the poll's now closed, I've already started work on presenting the results :( It's a shame because you've got a strong list.

I know it'll be as much use to you as putting a 'Slippery When Wet' sign down when you've fallen over but I'll change the name of this thread to make it clear to everyone else that the poll's closed, I should've really done that upon closing the poll in retrospect...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Best Ever Choruses Poll 2019- POLL CLOSED. Off-topic thread

Post by Jirin »

No problem
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I love a lot of the 90s choices, Jirin, especially to see someone else here vote for Santa Monica and Plush. I probably should have voted for Flagpole Sitta too.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

It's only right that I highlight my favourite discovery from Jirin's list, which is The Knife- Pass This On.

Ashamed to say I only really know Heartbeats by them (I've enjoyed Silent Shout when I've heard it but I don't know it well enough to sing along to it) and this has a similar vibe of making cheesy instrumentation sound cool- got to love those synth steel drums! I like how the chorus drives the song but doesn't help it get to a resolution (she's still just pestering the sibling of her love interest by the end), so it leaves you wanting more.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

mileswide wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:03 am Bet The Levels- GE Days (Edre Peraza) On-point harmonies meeting a chugging riff make this chorus a highlight. Bet The Levels need to be better known on the basis of this track, it looks like you're the only one who's commented on the Youtube video for this, Edre!
I may be a bit biased because I know most of the band and even work on making music with the guitar player. That being said, I have always thought that this song was a banger and that they deserved more credit. Unfortunately the band isn’t around anymore but the members have done other great things.

I recommend you listen their EP “Josh’s Nightmare” and their album “Don’t Punch The Driver”. They are both on their BandCamp. Also listen too the lead guitar player’s EP “Year Of The Dog” under the alias Paper Towels. That one is on Spotify.
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:32 pm I may be a bit biased because I know most of the band and even work on making music with the guitar player. That being said, I have always thought that this song was a banger and that they deserved more credit. Unfortunately the band isn’t around anymore but the members have done other great things.

I recommend you listen their EP “Josh’s Nightmare” and their album “Don’t Punch The Driver”. They are both on their BandCamp. Also listen too the lead guitar player’s EP “Year Of The Dog” under the alias Paper Towels. That one is on Spotify.
Good music is good music, all bands have to start their fanbase with their friends. Bias won't stop me either from including some songs by people I know on my best of 2010s list. Thanks though Edre, I'll add these three to my 'to-listen' list for this week :mrgreen:
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

mileswide wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:32 pm I may be a bit biased because I know most of the band and even work on making music with the guitar player. That being said, I have always thought that this song was a banger and that they deserved more credit. Unfortunately the band isn’t around anymore but the members have done other great things.

Good music is good music, all bands have to start their fanbase with their friends. Bias won't stop me either from including some songs by people I know on my best of 2010s list. Thanks though Edre, I'll add these three to my 'to-listen' list for this week :mrgreen:
This is true. As an artist myself I can fully agree!
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:31 pm This is true. As an artist myself I can fully agree!
Where can we find your stuff? I'd be keen to give that a go as well :)
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

mileswide wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:31 pm This is true. As an artist myself I can fully agree!
Where can we find your stuff? I'd be keen to give that a go as well :)
https://open.spotify.com/artist/3l7D05W ... qufN_oWiLg
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Nice one, I'll use it as my soundtrack to rolling out the next lot of choruses :music-listening:
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

mileswide wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:37 pm
Nice one, I'll use it as my soundtrack to rolling out the next lot of choruses :music-listening:
Thanks! I have an album next month most likely too!
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 am Thanks! I have an album next month most likely too!
I've answered your PM, EP- once again, it doesn't look like my message has sent, I don't know what's up with them at the minute!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”