Ellie Goulding - Lights

The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
vs.
Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Overlooked Songs 3: 2010s Edition - Round 1, Week 1

Post by BleuPanda »

Here’s my thoughts; note that my rating system is weird and I only break down by tenths in the 8+ range, quarters in the 7 range, and not at all below 7s (I’m planning to fix that soon but I mainly just keep track of the sevens up due to being in the range where I would make playlists) – so a 6 could be anywhere between just almost missing out on something I’d listen to of my own accord to something that left little impact on me while also doing nothing all that bothersome.

Beach House - Walk in the Park
For me, “Walk in the Park” is one of the songs that best captures the concept of ‘dream pop.’ The music is so serene, Victoria Legrand’s voice glides with such gentleness, yet it carries itself with such command that it never fades into a groggy haze. I feel like this is structured in a way that will be emblematic of a lot of these ‘overlooked’ songs by the more well-known artists – they really capture the spirit of the band, which means they might not be the go-to work for the critics due to a lack of standing out among the crowd. This, however, is a not a knock against the quality. If you’re looking for a song that best captures the general Beach House sound, it’s harder to find a better than “Walk in the Park.” 8.0/10

Beach House - Silver Soul
Much like “Walk in the Park,” a song that really captures the Beach House sound – but I find it a bit less commanding than the first. 7.5/10

Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
Following up on Beach House is another dreamy song, this time by Tame Impala. However, this one comes with the force of psychedelic rock, with Kevin Parker giving one of his best John Lennon impressions. The lyrics are an ode to self-confidence, and it has a glistening bridge that doesn’t quite hit as hard as some of the band’s later examples, but few do. 7.75/10

MGMT – Congratulations
2010 really must have been a peaceful time if the beginning of this week has anything to say about that. “Congratulations,” however, falls a bit flat for me – it doesn’t quite capture my attention in the way the previous three songs do. It’s too gentle. 7/10

Crystal Castles – Celestica
It’s weird how suddenly this shatters the gentle trend of this week yet still easily fits the description of dreamlike. “Celestica” has always been one of the standouts of the decade for me and I’m happy someone nominated it, but I suspect the reasons I like it will also be why others don’t. Music seems to operate in cycles, and much of the 2010s sounds like an attempt at capturing the spirit of the 1980s - this is a prime example of a song that sounds conceptually snatched from that era while bringing in enough new material that it’s very distinctly from this era. For a band that broke through with some truly aggressive electronica, Crystal Castles really proved their range. 8.6/10

The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
This is a Rolling Stones song released in the 2010s alright. Fine enough, but it’s clearly a classic band revisiting what they do best without any cares for novelty. If you like The Rolling Stones you’ll like this most likely, but I’m also sure it’s far from anyone’s favorite by the band. 7/10

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot
A band I’ve never listened to before after a string of the overly familiar. The lyrics carry the sort of encouraging sincerity I love to see, though it’s another song that goes so gently that it fades easily. 6/10

Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
Flying Lotus is one of my favorite artists this decade but the majority of his stuff works much better in the context of a full album. There’s a lot of force behind this track, tons of energy, but I can’t help but feel like it’s a movement than a full piece on its own. It’s still a movement from one of the best works this decade, though, so that’s worth a bit. 7.25/10

The National - Terrible Love
I’ve listened to High Violet dozens of times but this must be the first I’ve listened to “Terrible Love” isolated. It faded as soon as it finished, which might be why I paid little attention. The type of song that works better continuing off from the energy that the rest of the album carries. 6/10

LCD Soundsystem – Home
Of course I’m voting for this; I’m the forum’s biggest LCD Soundsystem obsessive, right? Still not my favorite this week – I beg you all to listen to Celestica until you love it because it certainly deserves better than losing to just another Rolling Stones song in the first week. Much like “Walk in the Park,” this is a very dreamlike song that carries a ton of force, with hints of Talking Heads as it pushes into the finale – which I’m only now realizing, perhaps because the American Dream album was so blatant where this is rather subtle in its similarities. The perfect farewell song from a band that couldn’t quite give it up. 8.4/10

Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang
Definitely heard this before but this is the first time where it really hit me – perhaps I overlooked Mark Ronson due to the overwhelming presence of “Uptown Funk,” but gosh is this a perfect mix of Q-Tip’s hip hop style and synthpop, with sudden shifts in tempo that create a perfect flow. Absolutely catchy; why couldn’t this have been the song that overtook a summer? My first ‘new favorite’ of this tourney. 8.5/10

Wavves - King of the Beach
An indie rock track that isn’t doing too much new, but I can’t deny the energy it carries. Perfectly catchy and doesn’t overstay its welcome. 7.5/10

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna
I’m happy I’m doing a second sweep through these songs; I definitely overlooked this one just last night. We really were teetering on the edge of a synthpop revival movement in 2010, weren’t we? If only that stuck around. Falling more on the energetic side like “Bang Bang Bang,” this is overlooked for a rather obvious reason – critics tend to overlook artists that don’t record in English. You don’t need to know Spanish to know this bangs, though. Definitely need to go back and hear more. 8.1/10

Ellie Goulding – Lights
If more mainstream pop songs could carry this energy that would be fantastic. There’s an underlying tension that the opening sets in motion – the chorus adds the necessary bombast but never overwhelms or undermines the darker atmosphere. A shame it has to go up against another great electronic pop piece. 7.75/10

The Vaccines - Post-Breakup Sex
This song has, begrudgingly, grown on me over the years. The lyrical content is strikingly awkward, but I’d be lying if this isn’t one of the catchiest rock songs of the era. 8/10

A song that mixes a more standard pop sound with the then trendy dubstep style, but it tackles both surprisingly well. The dubstep elements are subtle enough, never overwhelming the more deliberate vocal stylings while still lending a strong energy. Pop electronic music with a soul. 8.1/10

Crystal Castles - Celestica
Mark Ronson - Bang Bang Bang
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Chase & Status - Blind Faith
Ellie Goulding - Lights
MGMT - Congratulations
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

LCD Soundsystem - Home
Ellie Goulding - Lights

Really surprised by the Mark Ronson song. I'm not a fan of his but I do like Q-Tip and he makes this song awesome!
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Interesting, I could pretty much say BleuPanda's exact comment on Beach House but flip the songs - I think the way she sings "It is happening again, oh oh" makes Silver Soul slightly more commanding than Walk in the Park. I Am Not a Robot is my favorite new discovery this week.

4. Beach House - Walk in the Park
vs.
3. Beach House - Silver Soul

1. Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
vs.
12. MGMT - Congratulations

10. Crystal Castles - Celestica
vs.
11. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul

5. Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot
vs.
T13. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane

9. The National - Terrible Love
vs.
2. LCD Soundsystem - Home

7. Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang
vs.
T13. Wavves - King of the Beach

T13. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna
vs.
8. Ellie Goulding - Lights

6. The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
vs.
T13. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Beach House - Silver Soul Almost identical nostalgic feeling for both songs. I choose this one today but both are excellent.

MGMT - Congratulations Once again, two excellent songs but I prefer the MGMT production.

The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul Crystal Castles is far too Mylène Farmeresque for me :-)

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot First discovery for me. It's a very good song.

The National - Terrible Love It's almost a classic. And even if I am reconciled with LCD soundsystem with this great album, I found the song less good.

Wavves - King of the Beach I'd never heard bang bang bang before and it's pretty cool and catchy, but the Wavves song is too good.

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna No match here for me. Easy winner.

Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith Hard choice, I chose the one I didn't know, nice energy, it's my dope.

Great week to start, if the others are of this quality, it's going to be great. Only one song I didn't like about the 16.
Well done, people.
Last edited by Romain on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Good week.

Beach House - Walk in the Park vs. Beach House - Silver Soul
This was tough. Teen Dream is filled with solid songs, which is my reasoning/understanding as to why it is one of the most highly acclaimed albums of the decade. "Walk in the Park" has a better hook.

Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss vs. MGMT - Congratulations
60s pastiche (go away hymie) vs. one of my favorite songs of the decade period. Look, it's cool that the song sounds like John Lennon leading 60s Pink Floyd, but I don't care. I really don't. "Congratulations" has a magnificent ability to relax me and make my stress evaporate. The harp outro is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. It is also a great cooldown at the end of the energetic, psychedelic album of the same name.

Crystal Castles - Celestica vs. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
This could have gone either way.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot vs. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
"Astral Plane" shows the side of dance music that I prefer over EDM; it uses sounds that can occur in the real world, rather than purely synthetic sounds. My feeling on this is comparable to how Red Letter Media feels about CGI. "Robot" is a solid song, but it was outclassed here.

The National - Terrible Love vs. LCD Soundsystem - Home
I am not crazy about either song here, both by indie darlings. "Terrible Love" is catchier.

Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang vs. Wavves - King of the Beach
This was hard; both songs are new to me, and these are both strong 7s. My modern love for dance vs. my old love of bratty pop punk. The dance side won out. I like the part where the female singer says "Kick it to Morella" on the hook.

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna vs. Ellie Goulding - Lights
"Lights" has been one of my favorite songs for a long time, but is it time for it to topple? I just don't feel it as strongly as before. This Spanish-language track on the other hand, wowed me. The bass is fantastic. So danceable, so many intricacies. A rare song where the verses outshine the chorus.

The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex vs. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
Whatever, neither will win.

Favorite discovery: "Luz de piedra de luna"
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Beach House - Walk in the Park > Beach House - Silver Soul
Hard to separate, but Walk in the Park grabs me more.

Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss > MGMT - Congratulations
Love the swagger in Solitude is Bliss, I listened to it a lot a few years back to get me pumped at work.

Crystal Castles - Celestica > The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
Celestica is more interesting.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot < Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
Was expecting to vote for Marina but I found this song kind of weak - meanwhile the Lotus track really impressed me.

The National - Terrible Love > LCD Soundsystem - Home
A close thing. Terrible Love is one of the weaker songs on High Violet for me (I really like all of them), and Home was a really great track from LCD Soundsystem, who I have never gotten into. Overall I gave it to the National but I fully expect LCD to win this week and am glad for them to do so.

Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang > Wavves - King of the Beach
I'd heard Bang Bang Bang before but never ID-ed it. Really good. Wavves was fine but no match.

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna < Ellie Goulding - Lights
Thought for a moment Ellie would lose this one but then the chorus of Lights came on. Really solid. Javiera Mena's track is no slouch either, both are great.
Also, I always get vaguely weirded out by the first few seconds of Lights because I'm sure I've heard another song that sounds like it except for, like, the entire song. If anyone knows what it could be plz let me know.

The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex > Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
Both interesting in their own ways. I like the Vaccines track more.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Beach House - Walk In The Park
MGMT - Congratulations
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Beach House - Walk in the Park v. Beach House - Silver Soul Both are better in the context of Teen Dream than standalone songs but Silver Soul clinches it for its wooziness and providing the basis for Money Trees.

Tame Impala - Solitude Is Bliss v. MGMT - Congratulations Rougher vocal on Solitude than Parker's later work but it suits the defiant message. Congratulations is pretty but it plods for me.

Crystal Castles - Celestica v. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul Celestica manages to be soothing and euphoric. The vocal track on Plundered My Soul seems separated from the rest of the song; can't fault Jagger's performance but can't distinguish the music from any early-70s Stones song.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot v. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane Marina's singing always seems to consist of affected yelps in my experience, nothing new here. Flying Lotus' work under his own name hasn't made an impression on me before but the bass on this one definitely did; all of it sounds meticulously put together without jeopardising the vibe.

The National - Terrible Love v. LCD Soundsystem - Home Terrible Love sees Berninger slur to try to make him sound deep, the multi-tracked vocals have the same intention but to no effect. Home starts as a woodblock-led rave before the drum fill in the intro makes it more subdued and it doesn't recover for me; still seems more vital than Terrible Love.

Mark Ronson & the Business International feat. Q-Tip & MNDR - Bang Bang Bang v. Wavves - King of the Beach Both of these are easy on the ear, Bang Bang Bang being a catchy pop update of Alouette but the petulant surf punk of King of the Beach hit me more.

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna v. Ellie Goulding - Lights Lights is more likeable than Goulding's bigger hits but her voice is too mannered for me to make the same impact as the twinkly synths. Luz wins this battle of the lights by deftly transitioning from a La Roux-style new-disco verse to a samba house chorus.

The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex v. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith Post Break-Up Sex has the Vaccines' usual Interpol-aping vocals fail to fully hold the mid-tempo tune; I prefer their faster songs. Blind Faith is as palatable for most modern listeners as dubstep gets, neither being (too) gimmicky nor abrasive and sounding as fresh as on release; the resigned lyric and familiar Loleatta Hollaway sample give it warmth.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not A Robot
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Crystal Castles - Celesitca
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Safetycat wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:00 am
Also, I always get vaguely weirded out by the first few seconds of Lights because I'm sure I've heard another song that sounds like it except for, like, the entire song. If anyone knows what it could be plz let me know.
I don't know if it's the song you're thinking of, but I've always thought that the bubbly synth riff in Telepopmusik's "Breathe" sounds a bit like the bubbly synth riff at the beginning of "Lights".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDz2Xk-LRN0

The riff starts around the 30 second mark and continues throughout the song.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

vs.

Both 9/10 songs in my book, and among the best songs on Teen Dream. It was super hard to choose, but I'll take "Walk in the Park" by a hair.

vs.
MGMT - Congratulations

Both 7/10 songs. Both bands have much better songs. Tame Impala would further refine the sound they started to develop here on Lonerism, to incredible results. I'll take "Congratulations" though, again by a hair.

vs.

"Celestica" is a 9/10 and "Plundered My Soul" is a 7/10. "Celestica" is a great example of a band refining a signature sound to as close to perfect as it can reach, while "Plundered My Soul" is an enjoyable cut from The Stones.

vs.

"Do the Astral Plane" is an 8/10. It's funky and danceable and weird as hell and one of the most fun cuts from Flying Lotus's entire discography. "I Am Not a Robot" is a 7/10. It came perilously close to "6/10 nice enough piano pop song but nothing special" territory, but the strange vocal effects and surreal lyrics are enough to push it up to a 7/10. Still not enough to beat the Flying Lotus song though.

vs.
LCD Soundsystem - Home

Another paid of 9/10s. I'll take "Terrible Love" though, because I simply can't resist how the song slowly builds to an emotional crescendo in a way that's just a little more compact than "Home"'s own crescendo.

vs.

Q-Tip is a great rapper, but I'm not sure how well his voice works with the very synthetic sound of "Bang Bang Bang". In fact, there are a lot of things on the song that could work individually, like the rapping, like the female vocals, like the beat, but the song never really congeals. A 5/10. The Wavves song is a breezy, fun piece of lo-fi rocking and rolling. A 7/10.

vs.
Ellie Goulding - Lights

"Lights" is an enjoyable slice of synthpop with a killer hook, but there's something about it that's a little too self-serious for me. A 6/10. "Luz de piedra de luna" is a little better, and I especially enjoy the drumming during the chorus and bridge. A 7/10.

vs.

The Vaccines song probably would've been huge back in the Strokes/Interpol/Hives/etc. post-punk/garage rock revival of the early 00s. A fun throwback to that sound, even if some of the lyrics are a bit weak ("post break up seeeex that helps you forget your eeeeeex"). 7/10. "Blind Faith" sounds like generic 2010-era EDM, because it is generic 2010-era EDM. Nothing terribly offensive about it though. Suitable background music. 5/10.

The rankings:

9/10 Tier:

1. Beach House- Walk in the Park
2. The National- Terrible Love
3. LCD Soundsystem- Home
4. Crystal Castles- Celestica
5. Beach House- Silver Soul

8/10 Tier:

6. Flying Lotus- Do the Astral Plane

7/10 Tier:

7. MGMT- Congratulations
8. Tame Impala- Solitude is Bliss
9. The Rolling Stones- Plundered My Soul
10. Marina and the Diamonds- I Am Not a Robot
11. Wavves- King of the Beach
12. The Vaccines- Post Break-Up Sex
13. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna

6/10 Tier:

14. Ellie Goulding- Lights

5/10 Tier:

15. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey- Blind Faith
16. Mark Ronson and the Business Intl.- Bang Bang Bang
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

LCD Soundsystem - Home

"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

Flying Fotus - Do the Astral Plane
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Ellie Goulding - Lights
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

vs.
Seriously I can't decide between these 2 songs. They are both great

vs.
MGMT - Congratulations

vs.

vs.

vs.
LCD Soundsystem - Home

vs.

vs.
Ellie Goulding - Lights - couldn't stand either of these songs. Neither one will get a vote from me.

vs.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Nick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:53 pm I don't know if it's the song you're thinking of, but I've always thought that the bubbly synth riff in Telepopmusik's "Breathe" sounds a bit like the bubbly synth riff at the beginning of "Lights".

Hmmm, not this. It would have been released pre-2010, probably in the 90's - it's a distant memory from my childhood.

On the plus side, I quite like this, so thanks for the link!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Safetycat wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:53 pm I don't know if it's the song you're thinking of, but I've always thought that the bubbly synth riff in Telepopmusik's "Breathe" sounds a bit like the bubbly synth riff at the beginning of "Lights".

Hmmm, not this. It would have been released pre-2010, probably in the 90's - it's a distant memory from my childhood.

On the plus side, I quite like this, so thanks for the link!
You're welcome! Glad you like it!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Overlooked indeed! I had forgotten a few of these and love the Javiera Mena track, never heard that one before now.

1. Beach House - Silver Soul
2. MGMT - Congratulations
3. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
4. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
5. The National - Terrible Love
6. Wavves - King of the Beach
7. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna
8. The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Do the Astral plane is the only one I have in my best of 2010 playlist at the moment, Solitude is Bliss and Light might be included, too. From the Beach house and LCD Soundsystem records I like other songs better.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot vs. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang vs. Wavves - King of the Beach
The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex vs. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

The National - Terrible Love vs. LCD Soundsystem -
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

LCD Soundsystem - Home
Wavves - King Of The Beach
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

vs.

vs.
MGMT - Congratulations

vs.

vs.

vs.
LCD Soundsystem - Home

vs.

vs.
Ellie Goulding - Lights

vs.

Top 7

1. Crystal Castles - Celestica
2. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
3. Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
4. The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
5. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
6. Beach House - Walk in the Park
7. LCD Soundsystem - Home
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Not a huge fan of Beach House but I like those 2 enough. Lots of Beach House songs kinda sound the same to me, so the fact I can actually say "I know that one" when hearing Walk in the Park gives it the edge to me.

MGMT - Congratulations
2 bands that don't really work for me, Congratulations is catchier though

One of the best Crystal Castles song edges out a fairly good Rolling Stones songs

Another tough one, I'm also one the forum biggest LCD lovers and I'd rank Home somewhere in the middle of their output (somewhere around the 20th spot). I don't enjoy 2010s National as much as 2000s National, but Terrible Love and Bloodbuzz Ohio (and possibly Guilty Party) are their standout from the decade.

Two songs that are kinda nice but also don't fully work for me, both sounding like less than the sum of their parts somehow. I would agree Q-Tip voice doesn't really fits the music (like in Groove is in the Heart) but the French ritournelle gets my vote.

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Tame Impala - Solitude Is Bliss

Flying Lotus - Do The Astral Plane

LCD Soundsystem - Home

Wavves - King Of The Beach

Ellie Goulding - Lights (Every time I hear this song my involuntary memory kicks in to the innocence of elementary school...Where's Proust when you need him?)

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

LCD Soundsystem - Home
Ellie Goulding - Lights
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

pass
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

MGMT - Congratulations
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Ellie Goulding - Lights
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

9. Beach House - Walk in the Park
vs.
3. Beach House - Silver Soul
"Zebra" and "Silver Soul" are the real standout tracks on "Teen Dream" for me. Legrand's vocals match perfectly the languid melodies in this one, specially.

16. Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
vs.
10. MGMT - Congratulations
I love Tame Impala, and almost nominated "Mind Mischief" for this game, but this other track has nothing that grabs my interest. I agree with prosecutorgodot about the harps at the and of "Congratulations", beautiful sounds. I wish the rest of the track had received this kind of production too.

12. Crystal Castles - Celestica
vs.
13. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul
"Celestica" contains some interesting textures on its arrangement, and that's enough against a medium track from a band I don't care about so much.

1. Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot
vs.
8. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane
Such a smooth production, instead of going to the obvious electropop thing, elevates "I Am not a Robot" to another level. The best of this week.

11. The National - Terrible Love
vs.
4. LCD Soundsystem - Home
James Murphy was able to hold a great track until the verses "that you get home/and you stay home/and you better"... But instead of begining the crescendo the song was asking for, he kind of let the vocals die and from then on the track becomes a bit forced. Maybe the 7th best piece from my #2 album of the decade, and easy winner here.

2. Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang
vs.
6. Wavves - King of the Beach
Unlike everybody has said, I couldn't find anything special in Q-Tip's vocals here. The rest, however, made up for a nice synthpop song, with tempo changes and interesting details all over it.

5. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna
vs.
7. Ellie Goulding - Lights
Javiera's track is joyful, my only issue is her too generic vocal, specially on the chorus.

14. The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
vs.
15. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
"Post Break-Up Sex" makes an interesting Britpop revival, but as Nick said, the lyrics on the chorus are terrible.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Just a day and a few hours left to vote
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

These songs are practically indistinguishable. Why on earth do people consider Beach House one of the top artists of the decade? And this comes from a fan who has seen them live. Give me Alvvays' Antisocialites over the entire Beach House discography.

LCD Soundsystem - Home

Ellie Goulding - Lights

CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

I'll pass on the last four songs. Didn't care for any of them.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Going to listen to these on the plane and get some last minute votes in.

Excited for this!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Funny that the first matchup of this massive tournament is an all-Teen Dream battle. I used to think Beach House was massively overrated, but I've gotten into them over the last year after enjoying their album 7 last year.

MGMT - Congratulations

This will be one of the easiest calls of the whole tournament, as Celestica is excellent and Plundered My Soul is a 1972 song.

Do the Astral Plane is Flying Lotus' best song, and one of the best instrumental electronic songs of all time. Perfect sound design, sequencing, and execution -- this song feels like it covers 7 minutes worth of ideas in just under 4.

LCD Soundsystem - Home
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

10. Beach House - Walk in the Park
vs.
11. Beach House - Silver Soul

I love Teen Dream, but the album's songs tend to work better in context than on their own (many later albums of them work the other way around for me). Walk in the Park wins for hardly any particular reason.

12. Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
vs.
2. MGMT - Congratulations

I've long underestimated MGMT, but the last two years or so I have noticed that at their best they are something special and Congratulations is a good example why. Solitude is Bliss is good too, but Tame Impala would develop a stronger identity in the years to come.

6. Crystal Castles - Celestica
vs.
13. The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul

Funny to see a Rolling Stones song here. Really stands out as an artifact from another time. I like it, but not as much as Celestica.

5. Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot
vs.
1. Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane

I like these both a lot, but Do the Astral Plane caught me off-guard. I hardly paid attention to Flying Lotus before, but that should change with this one. An amazing track and the week's highlight for me. I Am Not a Robot is a good example of how I like my pop: catchy but also idiosyncratic.

3. The National - Terrible Love
vs.
7. LCD Soundsystem - Home

Two bands I like a lot, but in general I like The National more, as is the case here. Their songs just get to me in a special way. I do appreciate how LCD Soundsystem on Home basically updated Talking Heads for a new century.

8. Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang
vs.
14. Wavves - King of the Beach

King of the Beach is the first song we come across which doesn't do anything for me. Not bad, but it doesn't stand out. Bang Bang Bang falls in the aforementioned, idiosyncratic pop song category, so I'm happy with that.

15. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna
vs.
16. Ellie Goulding - Lights

Actually my two least favorite songs this week, so to bad they meet each other. Lights is how I don't like my pop, because without idiosyncrasies pop usually becomes generic and loses any personality. That's also why I can't fully embrace poptimism in general. And really, I don't think Luz de piedra de luna is original. Sounds like pretty formulaic synth pop and the fact that it is sung in Spanish doesn't suddenly make it original.

4. The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex
vs.
9. Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith

After three minor tracks we finish off with two stronger songs. I like the anything-goes genre mix of Blind Faith, but the sardonic lyrics or Post Break-Up Sex make that a small gem.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Beach House - Walk in the Park: 7.5
vs.
Beach House - Silver Soul: 6.5

Interesting to see these paired! Teen Dream is a good album but I don't think I've listened to it since 2010. "Walk in the Park" is a winner, though, and it reminds me that though I may have moved away from indie a bit, there are still a lot of great songs.

Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss: 6.5
vs.
MGMT - Congratulations: 7

I was unfamiliar with both of these. Both were nice songs, but "Congratulations" gets the edge for being a little more surprising. I haven't heard any MGMT songs after Oracular Spectacular, but it's good to see that they changed things up in an interesting way!

Crystal Castles - Celestica: 7.5
vs.
The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul: 4

I hadn't remembered anything from the Crystal Castles album sounding this good, so it seems it's time for me to revisit! The Stones are hit or miss for me, and "Plundered My Soul" is a miss. Not bad, but not something I'd want to listen to again.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot: 7
vs.
Flying Lotus - Do the Astral Plane: 7.5

Tough choice. I have heard the debut Marina and the Diamonds many times as my wife is a bit of a fan, and "I Am Not a Robot" is one of the highlights. But I wasn't expecting "Do the Astral Plane" to charm me as much as it did, so it wins.

The National - Terrible Love: 6.5
vs.
LCD Soundsystem - Home: 10

No contest. The National are a nice enough band, but they can't compete with the ecstatic catharsis that is "Home".

Mark Ronson and the Business Intl. - Bang Bang Bang: 7
vs.
Wavves - King of the Beach: 5

Another pair of songs I hadn't heard before! "Bang Bang Bang" was lots of fun, so it gets the edge over "King of the Beach", which didn't do much for me.

Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna: 10
vs.
Ellie Goulding - Lights: 7

Javiera is not of this Earth, producing songs of this caliber! The entire Mena album should be canonized, and this might just be its crowning glory. "Lights" is a very good pop song in its own right, but Javiera stomps all over every single song this week.

The Vaccines - Post Break-Up Sex: 6.5
vs.
Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith: 6

Another pair of songs that I hadn't heard before. Both are good, but didn't jump out at me as songs that will become favorites.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Just a bit over 2 hours left (I will be away from my computer so I won't be able to reveal the results until a bit later in the day)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Results:
Beach House - Walk in the Park: 20
Beach House - Silver Soul: 7

Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss: 17
MGMT - Congratulations: 11

Crystal Castles - Celestica: 20
The Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul: 8

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not a Robot: 8