Final 1980s Poll: Instructions and Links

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Final 1980s Poll: Instructions and Links

Post by PlasticRam »

mileswide wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 am
PlasticRam wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 pm I sent a private message containing my album list to Moonbeam, but it's stuck in my outbox :(
This won't be relevant to you now but, as far as I understand, a message on here will stay in your outbox until the recipient logs in next. While it's not massively reassuring to see your PM just sitting there, it will eventually get to its destination! :angry-tappingfoot:
Oh I see. Thanks for the info.
I feel like that
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

PlasticRam wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 am
PlasticRam wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 pm I sent a private message containing my album list to Moonbeam, but it's stuck in my outbox :(
This won't be relevant to you now but, as far as I understand, a message on here will stay in your outbox until the recipient logs in next. While it's not massively reassuring to see your PM just sitting there, it will eventually get to its destination! :angry-tappingfoot:
I think there were some issues with your first 2 posts. I got 3 messages from you, but when I clicked the first two, it said "this message has been deleted by the sender". The third one came through fine, however!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Ballots are officially closed! We've ended up with 35 album ballots and 38 song ballots - a pretty good turnout!

There seem to be a few surprises in the results, which is exciting! I'll start rolling them out soon - it may not be super detailed as I am busy preparing for the upcoming semester with some unforeseen kinks to work out. I will take Henrik's suggestion and start the countdown not from 300 for songs and 200 for albums, but from a smaller number, to add suspense to the poll in terms of which albums and songs made the final presentation. I'm thinking of presenting the top 200 songs and 150 albums, but let me know what you'd prefer.

Also, what would be preferred - rolling out the album results first, the song results first, or both (basically alternating between the two each day)?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I think songs first is sort of the tradition and a good way to go
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am Ballots are officially closed! We've ended up with 35 album ballots and 38 song ballots - a pretty good turnout!

There seem to be a few surprises in the results, which is exciting! I'll start rolling them out soon - it may not be super detailed as I am busy preparing for the upcoming semester with some unforeseen kinks to work out. I will take Henrik's suggestion and start the countdown not from 300 for songs and 200 for albums, but from a smaller number, to add suspense to the poll in terms of which albums and songs made the final presentation. I'm thinking of presenting the top 200 songs and 150 albums, but let me know what you'd prefer.

Also, what would be preferred - rolling out the album results first, the song results first, or both (basically alternating between the two each day)?
Top 200 songs and 150 or albums is fine.
And I prefer the alternating resuts.

Thanks.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

One vote for songs first.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am Also, what would be preferred - rolling out the album results first, the song results first, or both (basically alternating between the two each day)?
If the 80s taught us anything, it was to follow your heart...or some shit like that :)
All I got inside is vacancy!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 am
PlasticRam wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 am

I think there were some issues with your first 2 posts. I got 3 messages from you, but when I clicked the first two, it said "this message has been deleted by the sender". The third one came through fine, however!
Yeah I deleted them after sending cos I didn't remember Daydream Nation. Sorry for all the confusion.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am I will take Henrik's suggestion and start the countdown not from 300 for songs and 200 for albums, but from a smaller number, to add suspense to the poll in terms of which albums and songs made the final presentation. I'm thinking of presenting the top 200 songs and 150 albums, but let me know what you'd prefer.
It depends on how you go about the remaining entries, songs #201-300 and #151-200. Are you just going to post them as a one-post list? That could work, but as a special roll-out those tend to be anti-climactic, as we already have the big winners. I prefer just starting at the end as it creates a more natural suspense; while Henrik's method is more about creating suspense through a sort of guessing game. Of course, if most people prefer that, than it's fine with me.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Rob wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am I will take Henrik's suggestion and start the countdown not from 300 for songs and 200 for albums, but from a smaller number, to add suspense to the poll in terms of which albums and songs made the final presentation. I'm thinking of presenting the top 200 songs and 150 albums, but let me know what you'd prefer.
It depends on how you go about the remaining entries, songs #201-300 and #151-200. Are you just going to post them as a one-post list? That could work, but as a special roll-out those tend to be anti-climactic, as we already have the big winners. I prefer just starting at the end as it creates a more natural suspense; while Henrik's method is more about creating suspense through a sort of guessing game. Of course, if most people prefer that, than it's fine with me.
I'm in the same boat as Rob here. But I didn't vote, so I guess it's not really up to me.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:16 pm
Rob wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:51 pm
I'm in the same boat as Rob here. But I didn't vote, so I guess it's not really up to me.
I agree with these last two points.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Moonbeam wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 am Ballots are officially closed! We've ended up with 35 album ballots and 38 song ballots - a pretty good turnout!

I don't really care how, just ...
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

I prefer a top 200/150
A top 300 would make the presentation a little bit extensive
Especially because, probably at the end of the presentation, the complete chart will be published.
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”