Avant-jazz albums on AM

avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Avant-jazz albums on AM

Post by avant_jazz »

Hey all - I'm new to these forums but have found AM a helpful resource for a long time. As a fan of avant-garde jazz, I noticed that many "classics" of the genre are not on AM. One such example is Anthony Braxton's Dortmund (Quartet) 1976. Here are the lists/ratings I could find:

End of Year Lists:
1992 Cadence Record Poll - No Order

Ratings:
All Music Guide - 5/5 Stars
MusicHound (USA) - 4/5 Bones (edit)
The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD (2nd Ed., 1994) - 3.5/4 Stars
The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD (8th Ed., 2006) - 3/4 Stars
The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (USA, 1999) - 5/5 Stars
The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (UK, 2004) - 4/5

There are albums with 'worse' ratings that are currently on AM - an example is Art Farmer's Farmer's Market. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
Huangal70
Wannabe

Re: Avant-jazz albums on AM

Post by Huangal70 »

I believe lists are given more precedence than reviews so an archival live album appearing on one year end list isnt likely to appear
avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Post by avant_jazz »

Jap123 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:10 pm I believe lists are given more precedence than reviews so an archival live album appearing on one year end list isnt likely to appear
OK, but this album does not have any lists yet it still appears as "bubbling under."
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I think Henrik has to give the definitive answer, but from what I remember the adding of "bubbling under" albums has been very inconsistent over the years, and albums like Blame It on My Youth have probably been added in a rather early update of AM and probably wouldn't be added in a future update anymore due to their low number of lists and ratings. So I guess you could say that the bar for an album to be added as "bubbling under" has been raised over the years.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jazz lists were very few in the early years of AM, so some albums with great ratings might have been added to fill in. There's also the fact that some lists have been deleted from AM after discovering they were ineligible. Since Henrik has decided to never remove an album (unless it's discovered it's a compilation) or song from AM, there may be legacy inclusions here and there.
avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Post by avant_jazz »

Thanks, that helps. Are ratings from All About Jazz and Sputnik eligible?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”