R.I.P. Neil Peart

Harold
Into the Groove

R.I.P. Neil Peart

Post by Harold »

Neil Peart, the legendary drummer and lyricist of Rush, has died at 67 following a long battle with brain cancer:

https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-peart-d ... ead-at-67/
Brad
Higher Ground

Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart

Post by Brad »

Fuck.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

The greatest drummer of all time and an underrated songwriter. Never understood why Rush doesn't have a lot of acclaim on this website despite having such a big following. I've heard that Eddie Van Halen isn't doing well either, it would be a shame if we lose one of the greatest guitarists within a week of the greatest drummer's death.
There is No More Firmament.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Rush is one of the rare instances where the drummer was the most famous member of the band (and in most other cases, the drummer was also the singer). That more than anything is a testament to Peart's abilities and the presence he had while performing.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

This one does hurt. When I listen to music I often tend to miss the drumming, but there are a few instances where I find it thoroughly enjoying to focus on it - Art Blakey, Keith Moon, Dave Lombardo, and Neil Peart are the most outstanding examples that immediately come to my head. He'll be missed. Rush are extremely underrated.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Pierre wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 am Art Blakey, Keith Moon, Dave Lombardo, and Neil Peart are the most outstanding examples that immediately come to my head.
I've mentioned this before, but the first time I saw Rush live (1980) was the day news broke of the death of John Bonham, in my opinion another of the true greats.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

I lost 2 friends and a cousin in 2019, all younger than Neil was. The cousin did not even make it to 60. The year before I lost 2 other friends who were in their 70s. I guess this is what happens if you live long enough. You watch your friends slowly disappear, one by one. :angry-banghead:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”