Song List Special #2: Henry

Henry
Into the Groove

Song List Special #2: Henry

Post by Henry »

Thanks again to Moonbeam for this fantastic idea.

Moonbeam's list had so many great songs, but the highlight for me was viewing his videos. I can't wait for him to entertain us with more videos.

I will start tonight with my top 1000 songs and hope to add more in the next day or so. I look forward to reading your comments.

Comment Guide
CR = Classic Rock
Jazz
CM=Classical Music
Non-CR - at least Henry doesn't think that this song is CR
Soul
I recommend that all those who did not put STH in their top 500 take strides to avoid most of the CR tunes discussed below.
NB - many of the comments are not my original comments but taken from various other sources.

Given the very clear instructions from Moonbeam, I plan to place hyperlinks on this page for the songs on YouTube, as soon as I can.

1 Led Zeppelin / Stairway To Heaven
2 Jimi Hendrix / All Along The Watchtower
3 Who / Behind Blue Eyes
4 Bruce Springsteen / Born To Run
5 Beatles / Yesterday
6 Rolling Stones / Start Me Up
7 Beatles / Let It Be
8 Marvin Gaye / Let's Get It On
9 Simon & Garfunkel / Bridge Over Troubled Water
10 Rolling Stones / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
11 Beach Boys / Good Vibrations

12 Eric Clapton / Let It Rain
CR- Clapton's vocals work pretty well on this song which is not as heavy on fast paced and raucous guitar leads. The interplay between the rhythm guitar and drums works well for me. A simple yet poignant lyrical moment for me is provided at 1:52, "now I know the secret, there is nothing that - I lack if I give my love to you, you'll surely give it back." I also appreciate the bass and piano interplay in the song.
13 Carlo Maria Giulini: London Symphony Orchestra / Beethoven: Symphony #9 In D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral" - 2. Molto Vivace

14 Who / The Song Is Over
CR - The transition from @ 1:59 through 2:34 captivated me and I thoroughly enjoyed Keith Moon's contributions in drums in this portion of the song. I also very much enjoy the interplay between Townsend and Daltry on vocals. The end of this song shares some quote from another Who song, "Pure and Easy" which I believe was on their compilation album entitled "Odds and Sods."

15 Isley Brothers / That Lady
Soul - The wah wah guitar is awesome throughout, but especially starting at @ 2:20. The vocals are delivered with power that interplays well with the guitar. The song has pulsating energy. Admittedly the lyrics are a bit trite.
16 Elton John / Tiny Dancer
17 Who / Pinball Wizard
18 Eagles / One Of These Nights
19 Elton John / Your Song
20 Derek & The Dominos / Layla
21 Eagles / Hotel California
22 Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell / Ain't No Mountain High Enough
23 Steely Dan / Reelin' In The Years
24 Beatles / Hey Jude
25 Clash / London Calling
26 Beatles / Help!
27 Stevie Wonder / As

28 Allman Brothers Band / Blue Sky
CR - Dicky Betts first lead vocal performance with the ABB. The song is about his native american girlfriend. Betts' very smooth and flowing lead guitar solo starts at @ 1:07. Duane Allman joins in later with some nice interchange between the two leads thereafter.
29 Janos Ferencsik / Beethoven: Symphony #9 In D Minor, IV. Finale: Presto - Allegro Assai
30 Beatles / Can't Buy Me Love
31 Van Morrison / Moondance
32 Rolling Stones / Sympathy For The Devil
33 Eagles / Take It Easy
34 Who / We're Not Gonna Take It
35 Marvin Gaye / What's Going On
36 James Taylor / You've Got A Friend
37 Who / Won't Get Fooled Again
38 Temptations / My Girl
39 Supremes / Stop! In the name of love

40 Chicago / Questions 67 And 68
CR (considered Jazz Fusion by wikipedia) - Great interplay of horns, drums, guitar and vocals. I wish that the blazing guitar in this song that starts at about 0:14 and pops in at various other times throughout the song was mixed a bit more prominently. I hear it fine on my computer speakers, but not in the car or in the living room :-( Nice bridge starting at @ 2:33.
41 Todd Rundgren / Hello It's Me
42 Crosby, Stills & Nash / Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
43 John Lennon/ Imagine
44 Lynyrd Skynyrd / Free Bird

45 Elton John / Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
CR - Elton and Bernie Taupin's Opus starts off a bit slow and hauntingly. It patiently builds up adding different instruments along the way. At @ 1:55 the song becomes more recognizable as a Taupin composition as Elton starts playing the piano. Nice transition at @ 5:00. Folks who are interested in recording engineers, may be interested in the performance by David Hentschel on the synthesizer in this song.
46 Radiohead / Creep
47 Queen / Bohemian Rhapsody
48 Tears for Fears/ Everybody Wants to Rule the World

49 Elton John / [url =http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsozyGR6Eo4]Grey Seal[/url]
CR- the lyrics are wide open to interpretation and some have said that this song is about repressive religious and educational traditions in the UK and elsewhere. I enjoy the tight composition and execution by Elton and his band. There is an earlier version that was not quite as rockin'.
50 Aretha Franklin / Respect
51 America / A Horse With No Name
52 Eagles / Best Of My Love
53 Police / Every Breath You Take
54 James Taylor / Fire And Rain
55 Bonnie Raitt / I Can't Make You Love Me
56 U2 / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
57 Soundgarden / Black Hole Sun
58 Bob Seger / Against The Wind
59 Genesis / Behind The Lines

60 Stevie Wonder / Another Star
Soul - from the wonderful Songs in the Key of Life album

61 Todd Rundgren / Can We Still Be Friends
CR- The song is generally assumed to be about Rundgren's breakup with long-time companion Bebe Buell in 1977.
62 Santana / The Game Of Love
63 Beatles / Eight Days A Week

64 Stevie Wonder / Golden Lady
CR- this song effectively tugs my emotional strings
65 Beach Boys / God Only Knows
66 Band / The Weight
67 Al Green / Let's Stay Together
68 Michael Jackson / Billie Jean

69 Steely Dan / Don't Take Me Alive
CR- Larry Carlton rocks on this song.
70 Blind Faith / Presence Of The Lord
71 Led Zeppelin / The Song Remains The Same

72 Joe Jackson / You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)
CR?-Not sure if this fits in anyone's CR bin. But, in my mind it's more pop jazz. Nice composition with telling lyrics, tasty but not overpowering guitar and horns that are pleasantly integrated.
73 Santana / Smooth
74 Todd Rundgren / I Saw The Light

75 Steely Dan / Kid Charlemagne
CR- The guitar solo by jazz-fusion guitarist Larry Carlton was ranked #80 in the list of the 100 greatest guitar songs by Rolling Stone. The lyrics were loosely inspired by the exploits of the infamous 1960s San Francisco-based LSD chemist Owsley Stanley. In 2007, Kanye West released the song "Champion" on his double-platinum album Graduation that samples Kid Charlemagne extensively.

76 Yes / I've Seen All Good People
CR- The first portion of the song is sometimes broken out as a song entitled "Your Move." The bass, guitar, drums and vocals starting at @ 3:30 and through @ 4:50 are a treat for me.

77 Don Henley / The Heart Of The Matter
CR - if you dislike the Eagles you probably shouldn't bother with this one. There is an excellent article about this song at http://www.mbird.com/2010/07/don-henley ... of-matter/ .

78 Jackson Browne / The Pretender
CR - Sarcastic lyrics are Browne's specialty. In this song they include "the children solemnly wait for the ice cream vendor" One critic had this to say about The Pretender - "the song's defeatist tone demands rejection, but it is also a quintessential statement of its time, the post-Watergate '70s; dire as that might be, you had to admire that kind of honesty, even as it made you wince."

79 Red Hot Chili Peppers / Otherside
CR?- This song is apparently about the deadly struggle with Heroin addiction that afflicted a former RHCP band member.

80 Doobie Brothers / Takin' It To The Streets
CR - great vocals by Michael McDonald on a rather straightforward song
81 Bad Company / Ready For Love

82 Style Council / You're The Best Thing
CR/Soul - Weller's vocals were superb here, some have said that his styling here is similar to Smokey Robinson's.
83 Allman Brothers Band / Jessica

84 Billy Joel / Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
CR- From Joel's powerhouse Stranger album
85 Steely Dan / Rikki Don't Lose That Number

86 Doors / Touch Me
CR - Morrison's vocals are especially powerful on this song
87 Cat Stevens / Wild World

88 Yes / Yours Is No Disgrace
CR - Very tight intoduction by the bass and drummer. Steve Howe was brilliant in the early Yes years, lightening transition at @ 0:41, and then some understated guitar from Mr. Howe. The lyrics are thought to be about Viet Nam warriors overcoming their guilt from their conduct in the war.

89 Moody Blues / The Story In Your Eyes
CR- The song features a repeated electric guitar riff, a propulsive yet elegant bass line, and Justin Hayward on lead vocals, while incremental use of a Mellotron and a choral background generates an expansive, rhapsodic sound.

90 Pretenders / Show Me
CR - there is some speculation that this song was written with Chrissie thinking about her first born child.

91 Pink Floyd / The Great Gig In The Sky
CR - Fantastic female orgasmic vocals

92 Steve Winwood / While You See A Chance
CR- Winwoods vocals are superb

93 Carly Simon / The Right Thing To Do
CR - pop folk more than rock - part of the singer/songwriter movement in the early 1970's that was the foundation of my love for album oriented rock

94 Linda Ronstadt / When Will I Be Loved
CR- with a country twist. Ronstadt was the darling of the mid-70's. The critics raved even though she rarely authored a song.
95 Foreigner / Waiting For A Girl Like You
96 Pink Floyd / Us And Them
97 Beatles / A Hard Day's Night
98 Allman Brothers Band / Ramblin' Man
99 B.B. King / The Thrill Is Gone
100 Lynyrd Skynyrd / That Smell
101 Stevie Wonder / You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
102 Jim Croce / Time In A Bottle
103 Elton John / Rocket Man
104 Queen / We Are The Champions
105 Who / Love, Reign O'er Me
106 Rascals / Good Lovin'

107 Billy Joel / Honesty
CR-straightfoward and poignant lyrics. One point made by the song is that there is an inherent lack of shame even in the closest of relationships. The song was nominated in the category for Song of the Year at the 22nd Grammy Awards held on February 27, 1980

108 Neil Young / Southern Man
109 Bad Company / Can't Get Enough
110 Michael Jackson / Beat It
111 Beatles / Got To Get You Into My Life
112 Dire Straits / Sultans Of Swing
113 Rolling Stones / Brown Sugar
114 Who / I Can See for Miles
115 McLean, Don / American Pie
116 Beatles / While My Guitar Gently Weeps
117 Rod Stewart / Maggie May
118 Carole King It's Too Late
119 Van Halen / Jump
120 Peter Gabriel / In Your Eyes
121 Simon & Garfunkel / The Sound Of Silence
122 Bee Gees / How Deep Is Your Love
123 Righteous Brothers / You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
124 Temptations / Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
125 Stevie Wonder / Superstition
126 Police / Roxanne
127 Supremes / You can't hurry love
128 U2 / With Or Without You
129 Marvin Gaye / Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
130 U2 / Where The Streets Have No Name
131 Boston / More Than A Feeling
132 Temptations / Just My Imagination
133 Jefferson Airplane / Somebody To Love
134 Beatles / Something
135 Rolling Stones / Street Fighting Man
136 Deep Purple / Smoke On The Water
137 David Bowie / Changes
138 Neil Young / Heart Of Gold
139 Beatles / Here Comes The Sun
140 Aerosmith / Dream On
141 Lynyrd Skynyrd / Sweet Home Alabama
142 Tears for Fears / Mad World
143 Claude Debussy / Clair De Lune

144 Pascal Roge / Satie: Gymnopedie #1
CM-I believe that I re-discovered this great song because someone else rated it highly during the all-time poll. But, my understanding is that the song still didn't make the top 1000 this year.
145 Foo Fighters / Everlong
146 Simon & Garfunkel / The Only Living Boy In New York
147 Steely Dan / My Old School

148 Todd Rundgren / Compassion
CR - some see dharma in the lyrics of this song and the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh.

149 Chicago / Beginnings
CR- early Chicago - not that intersting in terms of horns or musical phrasing compared to the higher ranked CTA songs, but still works very well for me.

150 Beat / I Confess
CR?- I put this in the 1980's new wave, ska categories

151 Genesis / Home By The Sea
CR- from the pop side of Genesis with Phil Collins doing vocals. This song is said to have been particularly popular in Eastern Asia, because of its use of the pentatonic scale, which contains 5 notes per octave and is the basic scale of Chinese music.

152 Marshall Tucker Band / Heard It In A Love Song
CR-southern rock -

153 Joe Jackson / It's Different For Girls
CR-Joe's lyrics here are spot on as far as I'm concerned

154 Todd Rundgren / Just One Victory
CR- one of my favorites from the AWATS album

155 Stevie Wonder / Creepin'
CR/Soul Are Minnie Riperton's harmonies an asset?

156 Chicago / Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is
CR- another great song on the CTA album. Considering various aspects of time is a mind trip. You may want to consult with the author Brian Greene regarding this matter.

157 Carole King I Feel The Earth Move
CR- One of the greatest songwriters of all time. Jon Landau's review of the album Tapestry (1971) for Rolling Stone praised King's voice on this track, saying it negotiates turns from "raunchy" to "bluesy" to "harsh" to "soothing", with the last echoing the development of the song's melody into its chorus.

158 Allman Brothers Band / Melissa
CR-southern rock again. The song was not written for a woman named Melissa. The song was written before Gregg came up with the name. He said he was standing in line at a grocery store when he overheard a woman yelling to her young daughter who had scampered off, "Oh, Melissa! Melissa, come back, Melissa". He liked the name and decided it was a perfect fit for the song.

159 Third Eye Blind / Motorcycle Drive By
CR?- my favorite 3EB song - The lyrics are open to a wide variety of interpretations. One that makes sense is that the singer wants to build a relationship that is more committed and his friend is not interested in making the change.
160 Led Zeppelin / Over The Hills And Far Away

161 Journey / Somethin' To Hide
CR-Perry's vocal are powerful but may be a bit too sweet and conventional for some. If you think your loved one needs to fess up, you might want to put this song in your playlists for prodding purposes :-)

162 Yes / Starship Trooper
CR-This is a 3 part song. Part 1, Life Seeker, was written by John Anderson. Part 2, Disillusion (starting at @ 3:15), was written by Chris Squire, and part 3, Wurm, is an instrumental by Steve Howe. The song hits a nice groove at @ 4:40. Also in Jackson's top 200. Perhaps non-STH lovers should give this one a try. The spacey, electronic-sounding guitar effect in "Starship Trooper" was achieved via a flanger, a device that was relatively new at the time of the recording.

163 Utopia / Love Is The Answer
CR- John Ford Coley was quoted as saying: "Of all the songs we released as singles, that was my favorite. The song first of all had a classical base, and the middle had a gospel section which I loved.

164 Stevie Wonder / You've Got It Bad Girl
soul? - Stevie charts a clear course for her to have it good at the end of the song. Some folks love Stevie's Moog synths on this song.

165 McLachlan, Sarah / Building A Mystery
CR? - Vocals - This song made McLachlan the recipient of the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the Grammy Awards of 1998, beating Mariah Carey, Shawn Colvin, Paula Cole and Jewel.
166 Steely Dan / Doctor Wu
167 Elton John / Levon
168 Kansas / Dust In The Wind
169 Journey / Lights
170 Beatles / Michelle

171 Doobie Brothers / China Grove
CR - some STH types might find this one interesting musically. The lyrics are a bit convoluted and based in part on a piano progression that was thought to be a bit asian in tone.

172 Steely Dan / Parker's Band
CR? - Nice horns in this song. Musically, the song doesn’t so much swing as it shuffles fast and hard. The shuffling comes courtesy of an amazing drummers’ summit meeting of both Jeff Porcaro and Jim Gordon. Jim Hodder, still the official drummer of Steely Dan at the time, was regulated to backup vocal duty. I don’t think any description of this song is complete without mention of that brief, magical bridge that seems to veer the song off course about 1:34 into it and ends up making a perfect landing back into the main melody. It’s something that Steely Dan got very good at doing over time, an overlooked aspect of their genius, in my view.

173 Beat / Doors Of Your Heart
Ska? - a reggae-fused love ballad with all of the ska and pop pomp that The Beat were so apt at incorporating. An example of the group's collective genius, "Doors of Your Heart" is an excellent cross fusion of ska, reggae, soul and, of course, jazz.

174 Todd Rundgren / The Last Ride
CR- from the Todd album. Pretty expansive musically for a 5 minute song. Give it a try.

175 Junior Walker & The All Stars / What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
CR-soul. At first Motown didn’t want to release the single, which broke from the usual formula by featuring Walker on vocals as well as sax. Finally the company relented when DJs made the record popular, and the single eventually reached #4 on the Hot 100, and #1 on the R&B Chart.

176 Guess Who / These Eyes
CR- Burton Cummings is great in this song. The song is noted for its repeated long section which starts in C Major, then goes up a whole tone to D Major, then up a whole tone again in E Major, and in the Coda, finally, to F Sharp Major, before the fade, with the words: "These Eyes/ Are Crying./ These eyes have seen a lot of love but they're never gonna see another love like I had with you".

177 Simply Red / Holding Back The Years
CR?-Frontman of the group, Mick Hucknall, wrote the song when he was seventeen, while living at his father's house. The chorus did not come to him until many years later.[1] His mother left the family when he was three; the upheaval caused by this event inspired him to write the song.

178 Cat Stevens / How Can I Tell You
CR-folksy ballad

179 Spandau Ballet / True
CR-my first wedding dance song - way too long for that purpose by the way. Considered in part a tribute to Marvin Gaye.

180 Kansas / Carry On Wayward Son
CR- lots of scales - but rocks

181 Who / The Real Me
CR-from the great Quadrophenia album

182 Carly Simon / Legend In Your Own Time
CR -this one has some emotional pull for me

183 Three Dog Night / One
CR- compelling vocals

184 Seals & Crofts / Diamond Girl
CR-nice energy with a relaxing vibe. There is twenty second segment before the end that gets a bit repetitous for me, but it's not enough of a problem to stop my overall enjoyment.
185 Todd Rundgren / We Gotta Get You A Woman

186 America / Ventura Highway
CR- If Sister Golden Hair made the top 1000, perhaps some might also enjoy this song.

187 Linda Ronstadt / Heat Wave
CR- great urgency in Ronstadt's vocals on this song

188 Joe Jackson / Breaking Us In Two
CR- Jackson catches me again

189 Billy Joel / Only The Good Die Young
CR- great song from Joel's best album.

190 Steve Winwood / Back In The High Life
CR-Winwood had a winning formula in 1986, but I prefer some songs from the Arc of a Diver album
191 Jethro Tull / Locomotive Breath
192 Red Hot Chili Peppers / Californication

193 Crosby, Stills & Nash / Wooden Ships
CR-great harmonies. the song seems to deal with ever-present fears of an apocalyptic nuclear war.[citation needed] In this interpretation, the words of the song depict the horrors confronting the survivors of a nuclear holocaust in which the two sides have annihilated each other. A man from one side stumbles upon a man (or woman, as in Jefferson Airplane's version) from the other side and asks him/her, "Can you tell me, please, who won?" Since the question has no real meaning in the circumstances (or even at all), it is left unanswered. To stay alive, they share purple berries that have presumably not been poisoned by radiation. The lyrics beg "silver people on the shoreline" to "let us be"; these are commonly held[by whom?] to be men wearing radiation suits.[citation needed] As wooden ships are carrying the survivors away, radiation poisoning kills those who have not made it aboard

194 Cat Stevens / Morning Has Broken
CR-mood setter, can be viewed as a prayer of thanks.

195 Eagles / The Last Resort
CR- a gem from the great Hotel California Album. "We satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds in the name of destiny and in the name of God. And you can see them there on Sunday morning and sing about what it's like up there. They call it paradise i don't know why. You call someplace paradise kiss it good bye" Some view the lyrics as a history of when the colonists came to America and BELIEVED it was their right by God that they owned that land, and that everyone else, even those who lived there before (and those brought there against there will (not mentioned)) had no rights were sub-human and should be treated like animals. Yet "they sit in church and sing about what it's like up there."

196 Bad Company / Movin' On
CR-Paul Rodgers is another fantastic vocalist
197 Eagles / Try and Love Again
198 Cat Stevens / Father And Son
199 Genesis / Throwing It All Away

200 Blood, Sweat & Tears / You've Made Me So Very Happy
not quite CR because of jazz elements - the BS&T with David Clayton Thomas was not as critically acclaimed as the Al Kooper album, but I greatly prefer the Thomas version of BS&T
201 Jefferson Starship / Miracles

202 Queen / Somebody To Love
CR-Mercury's vocals soar again. Written by Mercury at the piano, "Somebody to Love" is a soul-searching piece that questions God's role in a life without love. Through voice layering techniques, Queen was able to create the soulful sound of a 100 voice choir, with that of only three voices; Mercury, Brian May, and Roger Taylor. Deacon did not sing on the album’s track. Mercury’s fascination and admiration for Aretha Franklin was a major influence for the creation of this song.

203 Scaggs, Boz / Georgia
CR- a mid-seventies singer songwriter with some jazz elements. A San Francisco Bay Area favorite.
204 Creedence Clearwater Revival / Down On The Corner

205 Isley Brothers / For The Love Of You (Part 1 & 2)
Soul - the Isleys had some great songs.
206 Van Halen / Dance The Night Away
207 Fleetwood Mac / Over My Head
208 America / Sister Golden Hair
209 Supremes / My World Is Empty Without You
210 Billy Joel / My Life
211 Supremes & Temptations / I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
212 Blue Oyster Cult / (Don't Fear) the Reaper
213 Santana / Evil Ways
214 Third Eye Blind / Semi-Charmed Life
215 Journey / Don't Stop Believin'
216 Beach Boys / California Girls
217 Who / Baba O'Riley
218 Simon & Garfunkel / The Boxer
219 Cream / Sunshine Of Your Love
220 Kinks / Lola
221 Aerosmith / Walk This Way
222 Elvis Costello / Alison
223 Fleetwood Mac / Dreams
224 Beach Boys / I Get Around
225 Fleetwood Mac / Go Your Own Way

226 Creedence Clearwater Revival / Who'll Stop the Rain
CR- Lyrically, "Who'll Stop the Rain" breaks into three verses, with a historical, recent past, and present tense approach. All three verses allude to a sense of unending malaise, pondered by "good men through the ages", "Five Year Plans and New Deals/wrapped in golden chains", and the Woodstock generation. The malaise is not defined, but appears to allude to a sense, that man's problems have to be dealt with by those who wish to fix them, and no ancient philosophers, money promising government, nor Flower Power generation can merely push them off by thought, money nor communal love. The song's universal topical appeal made it unusual in the time of its release and gives it a quality, that helps it maintain its popularity 40 years later.
227 Steppenwolf / Born To Be Wild
228 Rolling Stones / Paint It Black
229 Lovin' Spoonful / Summer In The City
230 Eric Clapton / Tears In Heaven
231 Foreigner / I Want To Know What Love Is
232 Creedence Clearwater Revival / Proud Mary
233 Beatles / A Day In The Life

234 Style Council / My Ever Changing Moods
CR-Weller's vocals are spot on again
235 Otis Redding / (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
236 Chuck Berry / Johnny B. Goode
237 Nirvana / Smells Like Teen Spirit
238 Bob Dylan / Like A Rolling Stone
239 Beatles / Get Back
240 Pat Benatar / Hit Me With Your Best Shot
241 Stevie Wonder / Living For The City
242 Led Zeppelin / Black Dog
243 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / Dancing In The Street
244 Bill Withers / Lean On Me
245 Billy Joel / Piano Man
246 Fleetwood Mac / Rhiannon
247 Supremes / You Keep Me Hangin On
248 Beach Boys / Sloop John B
249 Blondie / Heart Of Glass
250 Sly & The Family Stone / Family Affair
251 Beatles / Getting Better
252 Bee Gees / Stayin' Alive
253 Lou Reed / Walk On The Wild Side
254 Sufjan Stevens / Chicago
255 Clash / Train In Vain
256 Wings / Band On The Run
257 Pink Floyd / Shine On You Crazy Diamond - All parts
258 Tom Petty / Refugee

259 Grateful Dead / Truckin'
CR- This song has been recognized by the United States Library of Congress in 1997 as a national treasure. The song is associated with the blues and other early 20th century forms of folk music
260 Jimi Hendrix / Little Wing
261 Joe Jackson / Is She Really Going Out With Him?
262 Cars / Just What I Needed
263 Bachman-Turner Overdrive / You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
264 O'Jays / Love Train
265 Supertramp / The Logical Song
266 Bob Seger / Night Moves

267 Eagles / Take It To The Limit
CR-from the One of These Nights album that I first heard when I was working late at night on chemical waste treatment special lab project at SUNY at Stony Brook
268 Rolling Stones / Jumpin' Jack Flash
269 Wham! / Careless Whisper
270 Beach Boys / Fun, Fun, Fun
271 Linda Ronstadt / You're No Good
272 Carly Simon / You're So Vain
273 Sister Sledge / We Are Family
274 Joe Jackson / Steppin' Out
275 Billy Joel / Just The Way You Are
276 Stevie Wonder / For Once In My Life
277 U2 / Sunday Bloody Sunday (live)
278 My Chemical Romance / Welcome to the Black Parade
279 Stevie Wonder / Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)
280 Thin Lizzy / The Boys Are Back in Town

281 Santana / Europa
CR-this song always moves me. The guitar cries as it does on many Santana and Satriani songs. Upon seeing his friend was suffering a bad experience whilst high on mescaline, Santana composed a piece titled "The Mushroom Lady's Coming to Town". This precursor contained the first lick to "Europa".
282 Stevie Wonder / I Was Made To Love Her
283 Bruce Springsteen / Dancing In The Dark
284 Human League / Don't You Want Me
285 Boston / Hitch A Ride
286 Five for Fighting / 100 Years

287 Carlo Maria Giulini / Beethoven: Symphony #9 in D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral" - 1. Allegro Ma Non Troppo
CM-not sure if the version I have referenced in the URL is the Giulini version, but it is still very good.

288 Jim Grosjean / Bach: Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring
CM-not sure if the version I have referenced in the URL is the Grosjean version, but it is still very good.

289 Kenneth Dowley / Handel: Messiah, HWV 56 - Hallelujah Chorus
CM-not sure if the version I have referenced in the URL is the Dowley version, but it is still very good.
290 Jackson Browne / The Load-Out / Stay

291 Chicago / 25 Or 6 To 4
CR

292 Rascals / A Beautiful Morning
CR - very enjoyable optimistic song. Some rave about the bass line, but I do not find it to be particularly special.Perhaps this song should be paired with Morning Has Broken for early risers :-)
293 Todd Rundgren / A Dream Goes On Forever
294 Linda Ronstadt / Alison

295 Joe Satriani / Always With Me, Always With You
CR - the under-appreciated virtuouso strikes my enjoyment chord with this song. I prefer the live version which is close to 10 minutes long. At @ 2:10, Joe is cooking for about 30 seconds.
296 Carly Simon / Anticipation
297 Supremes / Back In My Arms Again
298 Mel & Tim / Backfield In Motion
299 Bad Company / Bad Company
300 Todd Rundgren / Bang The Drum All Day

301 Who / Bargain
CR- another great song from the Who's Next album. It's a a love song, although the intended subject of the song is God rather than a woman. Author John Atkins praised song's strength and melody as well as The Who's performance of the song. Atkins goes on to say that "'Bargain' radiates sheer dynamism and excitement, and the brilliance of the playing turns the song into a masterpiece
302 Joe Jackson / Be My Number Two
303 Todd Rundgren / Be Nice To Me
304 Derek & The Dominos / Bell Bottom Blues
305 Billy Joel / Big Shot

306 Doobie Brothers / Black Water
CR- great harmony interplay. The song is characterized by the melodious a cappella section, with lyrics that are perhaps the most well known in the entire song, which sing: "I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland/Pretty mama, come and take me by the hand." These lines are also featured in the Train song, "I Got You" (from Save Me San Francisco). "Black Water" is also noted for its instrumental violin section.

307 Stevie Wonder / Blame It On The Sun
Soul - another great track from the Talking Book album

308 Style Council / Boy Who Cried Wolf
CR- Weller strikes again with lyrics that stay true to the classic tale. His vocals seem to have a more baritone depth to them in this song. Some great vocal/guitar matching melody starts at @ 3:25.

309 Pink Floyd / Brain Damage
CR-lots of synthesizers but given that it's Pink Floyd my conjecture is that the non-disco synths will not work for Moonbeam.
310 Supertramp / Breakfast In America
311 Matchbox Twenty / Bright Lights

312 Blind Faith / Can't Find My Way Home
CR-Winwood makes his presence felt in this "Super" group.
313 Frankie Valli / Can't Take My Eyes Off You
314 Utopia / Caravan

315 Harry Chapin / Cat's In The Cradle
CR-Chapin's stprytelling is superb in this father-son classic.

316 Anita Baker Caught Up In The Rapture
Soul - awesome vocals - she was meteoric in 1986

317 Todd Rundgren / Chain Letter
CR - one of my favorites from the consistently good Ballad album. Some say that this song is a tongue-in-cheek response to the feminist critics of his "We Gotta Get You a Woman" song. Nice transition at @ 0:50.
318 Association / Cherish
319 Chicago / Color My World
320 Matchbox Twenty / Could I Be You
321 Utopia / Crybaby

322 Shondells / Crystal Blue Persuasion
CR- a pop hit that first moved me when I was 13 and still does today. According to James's manager, James was actually inspired by his readings of the Book of Ezekiel, which (he remembered as) speaking of a blue Shekhinah light that represented the presence of the Almighty God, and of the Book of Isaiah and Book of Revelation, which tell of a future age of brotherhood of mankind, living in peace and harmony.
323 Steely Dan / Dirty Work
324 Matchbox Twenty / Disease

325 Thomas Dolby / Dissidents
CR?- Great thundering bass intro, intriguing lyrics. Dissidents" steps in cautiously and conjures images of blacklisted authors and ugly snow, gray from oppression. Here and elsewhere, Matthew Seligman's bass is a welcome addition -- throughout the album his work is lavish, growling, popping through octaves, funk-a-fied and twinkling with harmonics.
326 Beatles / Do You Want To Know A Secret
327 Fleetwood Mac / Don't Stop

328 Joe Jackson / Don't Wanna Be Like That
CR-New wave from the late 1970's - sets a nice rebellious tone for me.
329 Foreigner / Double Vision

330 Todd Rundgren / Dust In The Wind
CR-semi-live performance with Brecker brothers and a smooth message of contrition.

331 Santana / Everything's Coming Our Way
CR- while the vocals are a bit subdued, apparently they are performed by Carlos himself.
332 Chicago / Feelin' Stronger Every Day

333 Todd Rundgren / Fidelity
CR-heartfelt song from Todd

334 Jimi Hendrix / Freedom
CR - The lyrics "Keep on pushing straight ahead..." towards the end of the song are most likely a reference to the Curtis Mayfield song "Keep On Pushing" from the album of the same name.

335 Emerson, Lake & Palmer / From The Beginning
CR-with Yes EL&P were key artists in a genre known as "classical" rock before the term classic rock was used in a much more sweeping manner. Nice clean acoustic guitar at the "beginning" followed by a distinctive closing synthesizer solo from Keith Emerson (starting perhaps at @ 2:15 or more likel at @ 3:05), accompanied by overdubbed random synthesizer-generated effects.

336 Billy Joel / Get It Right The First Time
CR- great sentiment

337 Youngbloods / Get Together
CR-used to perform this with the folk mass group at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Ardsley, NY back in the early 1970's
338 Brenton Wood / Gimme Little Sign
339 Supertramp / Give A Little Bit

340 Blood, Sweat & Tears / God Bless The Child
CR or Jazz? - I love David Clayton Thomas' vocals and the horns on this version. If you listen to only one song on this list, this might be the one to give a try.
341 Third Eye Blind / God Of Wine
342 Supertramp / Goodbye Stranger
343 Isley Brothers / Groove With You
344 Matchbox Twenty / Hand Me Down
345 Alanis Morissette / Head Over Feet
346 Tears for Fears / Head Over Heels

347 Yes / Heart of the Sunrise
CR- Yes demonstrates their compositional and instrumental skill sets in this wonderful song. The song begins with a churning, bass-heavy riff that alternates between 6/8 and 3/4 time (in the same way as "America" from Leonard Bernstein's score for the musical West Side Story). After one full sequence, it merges into a new, slightly funky section in 4/4 that lasts for a minute and a half. It afterwards breaks back into three full cycles of the main riff. At around 3:25, after the final cycle, the song switches to a much softer style, where Jon Anderson begins singing. This section starts in 6/8 but includes many individual sequences, including a quirky 5/8 riff that appears in various speeds and arrangements. The song gradually builds in intensity, eventually including the main riff interspersed with the other sections.
348 Pat Benatar / Heartbreaker

349 Style Council / Heavens Above
CR-Weller gem after his two best Style Council albums. Nice use of horns on this song, especially in the intro. Excellent skeptical lyrics and call to action.
350 Steely Dan / Hey Nineteen
351 Todd Rundgren / Hideaway
352 Elton John / Honky Cat

353 Todd Rundgren / Hope I'm Around
CR- straightforward but enjoyable song from Todd

354 Who / How Many Friends
CR- my favorite from the somewhat disappointing Who By Numbers album
355 Ambrosia / How Much I Feel

356 Style Council / How She Threw It All Away
CR-nice use of horns and flute with Weller's great vocals.
357 Marvin Gaye / How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
358 Third Eye Blind / How's It Going To Be
359 Seals & Crofts / Hummingbird

360 Stevie Wonder / I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
CR- another winner from the Talking Book album. The song starts as a simple piano intro, then a verse in minor scales before the harmonized vocal chorus where the writer explains that he believes that his latest love will last forever. The end of the song is a groovier part with muted distorted Clavinet.
361 Eagles / I Can't Tell You Why

362 Lynyrd Skynyrd / I Never Dreamed
CR-another Southern Rock gem. The lead guitar by Steve Gaines is legendary.

363 Shondells / [ url = ] [/url]I Think We're Alone Now
CR-first won me over \when I was 11 years old
364 Cat Stevens / If I Laugh
365 Matchbox Twenty / If You're Gone

366 Todd Rundgren / It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference
CR - Todd does all the vocals and plays all the instruments on this gem.
367 Linda Ronstadt / It's So Easy
368 Billy Joel / It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
369 Bee Gees / I've Gotta Get A Message To You
370 Todd Rundgren / Izzat Love?
371 Third Eye Blind / Jumper
372 Styx / Lady
373 Fleetwood Mac / Landslide

374 Bob Dylan / Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts
CR- my favorite story song from Dylan. Hearing the lyrics read to her by Dylan just after they had been written, is thought to be the inspiration for the 1975 Joan Baez song, "Diamonds & Rust" - which is based on their own relationship ten years earlier.
375 Doobie Brothers / Listen To The Music
376 Todd Rundgren / Long Flowing Robe
377 Supremes / Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
378 Elton John / Madman Across The Water
379 Heart / Magic Man
380 Three Dog Night / Mama Told Me (Not To Come)
381 Utopia / Mated
382 Genesis / Misunderstanding
383 Utopia / Mimi Gets Mad
384 Janis Joplin / Move Over
385 Wings / My Love
386 Steam / Na Na Hey Hey
387 Beatles / No Reply

388 Todd Rundgren / No World Order 1.1
CR?- more like Todd's rap experiment. Unfortunately, I have not yet found an appropriate URL for this song. I love the many messages in this song, including:
Everybody wants peace on the earth, children sheltering
Calling every man, every woman
We're gonna take control of our own bodies
Peace breaks out in the battle of the sexes
We start to learn what the other one expects is
We stay away from what the other one rejects is
And have respect for individual perspectives
We're gonna break out of this cycle of dependency
And liberate each other from a hopeless life of drudgery
And face up to the truth as we dispel all of this secrecy
And simplify the situation when we learn to speak plainly
We're gonna take control of the machinery
Bad little actors that chew up the scenery"
389 Supremes / Nothing but heartaches
390 Neil Young / Old Man
391 Buffalo Springfield / On The Way Home

392 Joe Jackson / One More Time
CR- Joe is incredulous in this song after the bridge at 2:12 he sings: Tell me one more time, your tears are only sad confusion
And tell me it's just been so long and that is all
And tell me one more time that love was only my illusion
You never answered to my call"

393 Steely Dan / Only A Fool Would Say That
CR- is this song a counterpoint to Lennon's Imagine? If so, then listguy should be on board :-) Is the man with a dream, Martin Luther King, Jr.?
394 Jim Croce / Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels)

395 Who / Overture/ It's A Boy
CR- the fidelity on the YouTube version I found is not particularly good :-(

396 Todd Rundgren / Parole
CR-pretty straightforward rocker for Todd.

397 Journey / Patiently
CR-the first Journey album with Perry (Infinity) was a treat for me at the age of 22, when I was in Grad school at Stanford. Pateintly is the first song Perry and Neal Schon wrote together. Perry wrote the lyrics, in which he expresses the sadness of being on the road and away from home, while also expressing admiration for the band's fans.
398 Boston / Peace Of Mind
399 Cat Stevens / Peace Train
400 Steely Dan / Peg
401 Joe Jackson / Pretty Girls
402 Cranberries / Promises
403 Todd Rundgren / Property 1.0
404 Moody Blues / Question
405 Todd Rundgren / Real Man
406 Elton John / Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
407 Who / Sensation
408 Bob Welch / Sentimental Lady
409 Turtles / She'd Rather Be With Me

410 Style Council / Shout To The Top
CR-Weller gem on the second of the great Style Council albums. Weller appears to be expressing his concerns about Thatcherism and its detrimental impact on the typical worker.
411 Wings / Silly Love Songs
412 Aretha Franklin / Since You've Been Gone
413 Carole King / So Far Away
414 Atlanta Rhythm Section / So In To You
415 Sheryl Crow / Soak Up The Sun

416 Linda Ronstadt / Someone To Lay Down Beside Me
CR-I love the lyrics and the vocal delivery from Linda on this song. It is most touching when you are not coupled and happy with your partner. Fortunately, it's been many decades since I've felt that way.

417 Todd Rundgren / Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel
CR-most times I'm not sure what to feel. Just need to let it happen.
418 Band / Stage Fright

419 Grateful Dead / Sugar Magnolia
CR- The song's line "she don't come and I won't follow" echoes the folk song, "Sourwood Mountain", which includes the line "she won't come and I won't call 'er."
420 Seals & Crofts / Summer Breeze
421 Beach Boys / Surfer Girl

422 James Taylor / Sweet Baby James
CR- Taylor's vocal are stunningly clean. Some have speculated that this song is in part about Taylor's nephew also named James Taylor.
423 Anita Baker / Sweet Love
424 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young / Teach Your Children
425 Billy Joel / Tell Her About It
426 Linda Ronstadt / That'll Be The Day
427 Carly Simon / That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be
428 Third Eye Blind / The Background
429 Steely Dan / The Boston Rag
430 Style Council / The Cost of Loving

431 Joe Satriani / The Crush of Love
CR-the guitar sings from the start of this song.
432 Jackson Browne / The Fuse
433 Utopia / The Ikon
434 Don Henley / The Last Worthless Evening

435 Style Council / The Lodgers (Or She Was Only A Shopkeeper's Daughter)
CR-Weller gem on the second of the great Style Council albums. Great vocal with his wife at the time, Dee C Lee.

436 Who / The Punk And The Godfather
CR-one of the better tracks from Quadrophenia. Pete Townsend said that part of the songs meaning was a conversation between a first generation mod and a second generation mod. he used the example of a conversation between himself and paul weller from the jam (the leader of a mod band during the punk era). his description was along the lines of...
PT: well, we made you.
PW: yes, but now you have this to deal with.
Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/ ... 7IrVQYk.99 "
437 Band / The Shape I'm In
438 Striesand, Barbara / The Way We Were

439 Blue Öyster Cult / Then Came The Last Days Of May
CR - "Then Came the Last Days of May" is based on a true story, when three friends were killed in a drug deal gone bad in California.
440 Heart / These Dreams
441 Todd Rundgren / Time Heals
442 America / Tin Man
443 Stevie Wonder / Tuesday Heartbreak
444 Matchbox Twenty / Unwell
445 Jethro Tull / Up To Me
446 Bob Seger / We've Got Tonight
447 George Harrison / What Is Life
448 Lynyrd Skynyrd / What's Your Name
449 Journey / Wheel In The Sky
450 Beatles / When I'm Sixty-Four

451 Derek and the Dominos / Why Does Love got to be so sad?
CR - Duane Allman played guitar on this song. Clapton invited him to play after seeing him perform with the Allman Brothers. Clapton called Allman the "catalyst" for the Layla album. This song is rated as the 53rd greatest underrated rock song by digitaldreamdoor
452 Jethro Tull / Wind-Up
453 Al Stewart / Year Of The Cat
454 Stevie Wonder / You And I
455 Billy Joel / You May Be Right
456 Queen / You're My Best Friend
457 Jackson Browne / Doctor My Eyes
458 Tom Petty / Don't Do Me Like That

459 Peter Gabriel / Don't Give Up
CR-(art rock according to Wikipedia) One of Gabriel's move moving story songs w/Kate Bush on vocals with Peter. According to Steve from Ottawa "The song is in 6/4 time with the bassline accenting the 1 and 4, with the melody line accenting 1 and 5. It gives it a great tension with everything hanging up in the air on the 4 and then coming down to resolve on the 1. To me that, and the busy melody line punctuating a sparse, airy background, gives the verse it's great feel.. it really creates an air of solitude I think, which is broken in the verse & bridge when the voices come together on the 1&5.. a great integration of the music with the lyrics. At the end it breaks into a groove in 4/4 I guess cause everything's gonna be alright after all.. :)"
460 Stevie Wonder / Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
461 Cranberries / Dreams

462 Bread / Everything I Own
CR- a song about David Gates' deceased father
463 Temptations / I Can't Get Next To You
464 Supremes / I Hear a Symphony
465 Pointer Sisters / I'm So Excited
466 REO Speedwagon / Keep On Loving You
467 Foo Fighters / Learn To Fly

468 Lou Christie / Lightnin' Strikes
CR-captivating vocal performance. Christie's real name is Luigi Alfredo Giovanni Sacco, and he is best known for three separate strings of pop hits in the 1960s, including his 1966 hit, "Lightnin' Strikes", and his three octave vocal range. Lightnin' Strines maintains a swinging pop/rock feel with stomping drumbeats and a muscular brass arrangement but adds inspired touches like the heavenly bells and tinkling piano used on the pre-chorus bridge. However, the true star of the song is Christie's pop-operatic lead vocal: he comes on like a sweet Romeo during the verses but launches into a wailing falsetto on the chorus that perfectly captures the song's underlying tension. All these elements gel beautifully to create a song that many pop fans consider to be the ultimate in 1960s pop psychodrama. Unfortunately, the youtube versions that I found had lousy fidelity.
469 Doobie Brothers / Long Train Runnin'
470 Bob Seger / Mainstreet
471 UB40 / Red Red Wine

472 Yes / Roundabout
CR-from the Fragile album - great use of harmonic effect when not fully depressing the string on the acoustic guitar.
473 Billy Joel / Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
474 Supremes / Someday We'll be together
475 Jimmy Eat World / The Middle
476 Bruce Hornsby / The Way It Is
477 Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell / Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
478 Red Hot Chili Peppers / Scar Tissue
479 Eagles / Life In The Fast Lane
480 Edgar Winter / Free Ride
481 Steely Dan / Aja
482 Beatles / All My Loving
483 Stevie Wonder / Too High
484 Beatles / I Will
485 Stevie Wonder / I Wish
486 Keith Jarrett / Part I
487 Stevie Wonder / Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours
488 Dire Straits / Money For Nothing
489 Janet Jackson / When I Think of You
490 Elton John / Crocodile Rock
491 Johan Sebastian Bach / No. 6 Allegro
492 Eagles / New Kid In Town
493 Meat Loaf / Paradise By The Dashboard Light
494 Blink-182 / What's My Age Again?
495 Steve Miller / Fly Like An Eagle
496 Oasis / Don't Look Back in Anger
497 Johan Sebastian Bach / No. 3, Allegro moderato
498 Steely Dan / Boston Rag
499 Beyonce / Irreplacable
500 Guess Who American Woman
501 O'Sullivan, Gilbert Alone Again (Naturally)
502 Buckley, Jeff Hallelujah
503 Robinson, Smokey I Second That Emotion
504 Rascals People Got To Be Free
505 Oasis Champagne Supernova
506 Beat Save It For Later
507 Yes Owner of a Lonely Heart
508 Winwood, Steve Higher Love
509 Miller, Steve The Joker
510 Clapton, Eric I Shot The Sheriff
511 Dion Abraham, Martin And John
512 Beatles We Can Work It Out
513 Blood, Sweat & Tears Spinning Wheel
514 Presley, Elvis Love Me Tender
515 Stewart, Rod Tonight's The Night
516 Blink-182 All the Small Things
517 Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb
518 Staple Singers I'll Take You There
519 Blondie One Way Or Another
520 Turtles Happy Together

521 Band Up On Cripple Creek
CR- could be worth a try if you like any other songs from the Band
522 Hall and Oates She's Gone
523 Beach Boys Wouldn't It Be Nice
524 Temptations I Wish It Would Rain
525 Steely Dan Do It Again

526 Squeeze Tempted
CR-great lyrics and Paul Carrack vocal and composition. Tempted was written in a cab on the way to Heathrow, I just wrote down what I saw and how I felt as we wormed our way through the traffic. I also must have anticipated a good time on tour as the chorus suggests. Believe it or not, I think I heard the word "Lesbian: as described in the following: This song is about the lead singer's girlfriend who leaves him for a woman. This is verified by the subliminal whispering of "lesbian" repeatedly at the end of the song in the phrase "tempted by the fruit of another, tempted but the truth is discovered (lesbian)." It's quite suble but quite noticable if you listen for it.
527 Gray, Dobie Drift Away
528 Beatles All You Need Is Love

529 Def Leppard Photograph
CR- high energy, rocker. With its strong, passionate vocal from Elliott and great guitar riffs from Collen, the song’s unforgettable melody engraves its way into your head. Like it or not, similar to a photographic image, it refuses to be ignored.
530 Pink Floyd Money
531 Hendrix, Jimi Foxey Lady
532 Doors People Are Strange
533 Jethro Tull Aqualung
534 John, Elton Candle In The Wind
535 Beatles The Long And Winding Road
536 Rolling Stones Angie

537 Collins, Phil In The Air Tonight
CR- The recording is notable for its atmospheric production and macabre theme. Collins wrote the song about the anger he felt after divorcing his first wife, Andrea, in 1979. Musically, it's an extraordinarily striking record, because almost nothing happens in it ... It's the drum sound in particular that's amazing. You don't hear it at all for the first three + minutes of the song ... then there's that great doo-dom doo-dom doo-dom comes in (at @3:14 - suspiciously Pi), and the drums come in half way through the song, setting the template for all the Eighties drum songs after that.

538 Costello, Elvis (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
CR/New wave - great song - sorry to see it drop out of the top 1000. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked this version of the song as the 284th best song of all time.
539 Madonna Holiday
540 Postal Service Such Great Heights
541 Cooke, Sam Wonderful World
542 Fine Young Cannibals She Drives Me Crazy
543 Mitchell, Joni Help Me
544 Supremes Baby Love
545 Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn!
546 Clash Should I Stay Or Should I Go
547 Blondie Call Me
548 Franklin, Aretha (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
549 Reeves, Martha & The Vandellas Heatwave
550 Madonna Borderline
551 Presley, Elvis In the Ghetto
552 Rolling Stones You Can't Always Get What You Want
553 Rascals Groovin
554 Beatles Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
555 Cheap Trick Surrender

556 Blur Out of Time
CR?

557 Free All Right Now
CR- the song that Stanford still plays when the score a touchdown. Any Rose Bowl fans?
558 Simon & Garfunkel Mrs. Robinson (From The Motion Picture "The Graduate")
559 Turner, Tina What's Love Got To Do With It
560 Beach Boys Surfin' U.S.A.
561 Pink Floyd Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
562 U2 New Year's Day
563 Dylan, Bob Positively 4th Street
564 Wells, Mary My Guy
565 Rolling Stones Wild Horses
566 Monkees I'm A Believer
567 Joplin, Janis Me & Bobby McGee
568 AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long
569 Sam & Dave Soul Man
570 Robinson, Smokey The Tears Of A Clown
571 Franklin, Aretha Chain Of Fools
572 Eurythmics Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
573 U2 Pride (In The Name of Love)
574 Wilson, Jackie Higher And Higher
575 Hendrix, Jimi Hey Joe
576 Pretenders Brass In Pocket
577 Hendrix, Jimi Purple Haze
578 Love Alone Again Or
579 Beatles Penny Lane
580 Cline, Patsy Crazy
581 Soft Cell Tainted Love
582 Gaye, Marvin Sexual Healing
583 Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women
584 Beatles She Loves You
585 Buffalo Springfield For What It's Worth
586 Morrison, Van Brown Eyed Girl
587 Mamas & The Papas California Dreamin'
588 Cooke, Sam A Change Is Gonna Come
589 U2 One
590 Led Zeppelin Whole Lotta Love
591 Ferdinand, Franz Take Me Out
592 Pulp Common People
593 Haley, Bill & The Comets Rock Around The Clock
594 Prince When Doves Cry
595 R.E.M. Losing My Religion
596 Robinson, Smokey The Tracks of My Tears
597 Four Tops Reach Out I'll Be There
598 Doors Light My Fire
599 Jackson 5 I Want You Back
600 Beatles I Want To Hold Your Hand
601 Kinks You Really Got Me
602 Beatles Hello, Goodbye
603 Beatles With A Little Help From My Friends
604 Beach Boys Help Me, Rhonda
605 Young, Neil Only Love Can Break Your Heart
606 Beatles Back In The U.S.S.R.
607 Satie, Erik Gymnopedies No. 1
608 Righteous Brothers (You're My) Soul And My Inspiration
609 Young, Neil Alabama
610 Carmen, Eric All By Myself
611 Matchbox Twenty All I Need
612 Eagles Already Gone

613 Blood, Sweat & Tears And When I Die
Jazz? - I love this version and think that DCT's vocals are amazing. Written by Laura Nyro.
614 Cranberries Animal Instinct
615 Wings Another Day
616 Journey Any Way You Want It
617 Estefan, Gloria Anything For You
618 Harrison, George Awaiting On You all
619 Barenaked Ladies Baby Seat
620 Steely Dan Babylon Sisters
621 Grand Funk Railroad Bad Time
622 Steely Dan Barrytown
623 King, Carole Beautiful
624 Van Halen Beautiful Girls
625 Clarkson, Kelly Because Of You
626 American Breed Bend Me, Shape Me
627 Matchbox Twenty Bent
628 Gabriel, Peter Big Time
629 Hendrix, Jimi Bold As Love

630 Rundgren, Todd Bread
CR-powerful message for me. I hear the cries of children at night
I watch their faces grow sallow with hunger
Who draws the line between what's wrong and right
And when I ask my life is for
It's all been for nothing
Save your regrets for the dead, but for the living
Give them love and give them bread
One more hungry mouth to be fed
Remember the living
Give them love, give them bread"
631 Linkin Park Breaking the Habit
632 Foo Fighters Breakout
633 Rundgren, Todd Can't Stop Running
634 Hendrix, Jimi Castles Made Of Sand

635 Beck, Jeff Cause We've Ended as Lovers
CR or Jazz - what's your take. The song apparently first appeared on the album "Stevie Wonder presents Syreeta" which came out in 1974. Jeff Beck then included the song on the album of the same name as the haunting instrumental that has become even more famous.

636 Steely Dan Chain Lightning
CR- Steely Dan cranks out another great song. One interpretation of the song is that it describes a Hitler youth rally.

637 Erasure Chains Of Love
CR- great vocals. The song, written by Vince Clarke and Andy Bell, is an uptempo dance-oriented synthpop track with Clarke's signature analogue sound and Bell's lyrics about breaking through any restrictions or stereotypes of what love should be. The lyrics allude subtly to Bell's desire for wider acceptance of homosexual couples, his pain evident from the opening lines "How can I explain when there are few words I can choose/How can I explain when words get broken".
638 Styx Come Sail Away
639 Supremes Come See About Me
640 Springsteen, Bruce Cover Me
641 Poco Crazy Love
642 Orleans Dance With Me
643 Beach Boys Dance, Dance, Dance
644 John, Elton Daniel
645 Third Eye Blind Deep Inside Of You
646 Ronstadt, Linda Desperado

647 Chicago Dialogue
CR- the lyrics grabbed me - but may seem contrived to others. The first part is more interesting to me than Part II - In Part I, the song's lyrics are a dialogue between two young people with different views. The first person (whose lines are sung by Terry Kath) is very concerned about events of the early 1970s, such as war, starvation, and "repression... closing in around." The second person (whose lines are sung by Peter Cetera) maintains that "everything is fine." Musically, the song is also a dialogue between Terry Kath's rhythm guitar and Peter Cetera's bass, which is all the more interesting as the songwriting credit went to keyboardist Robert Lamm. As Part I comes to a close, Terry Kath's character embraces the other character's worldview, saying "you know you really eased my mind; / I was troubled by the shapes of things to come." The response: "Well, if you had my outlook your feelings would be numb - you'd always think that everything was fine." The version I have is only 5 minutes long and starts to get a bit repetitive at @ 4:12.
648 Ronstadt, Linda Different Drum
649 Band Don't Do It
650 Taylor, James Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
651 Boston Don't Look Back

652 Dire Straits Down To The Waterline
CR-Knopfler guitar on this song includes some masterful fingerpicking that appear to complete the guitar efforts that are faded out on Sultans of Swing.
653 Train Drops of Jupiter
654 Pink Floyd Eclipse

655 Beat End of the Party
CR- from the Special Beat Service album. Like "Save It for Later" this song was on the Beat's last album because Dave Steele finally relented and allowed it to be recorded. Steele objected to both songs because they were too old school rock and not new wave/ska.
656 Santana Everybody's Everything
657 Style Council Fairy Tales

658 Simon & Garfunkel Fakin' It
CR- The running time of the song was actually 3 minutes and 14 seconds. Radio stations at the time resisted playing songs lasting longer than three minutes, so Paul Simon had the time "faked" to read 2:74 on the label. During some hashish reverie Simon was thinking to himself, "I'm really in a weird position. I earn my living by writing songs and singing songs. It's only today that this could happen. If I were born a hundred years ago I wouldn't even be in this country. I'd probably be in Vienna or wherever my ancestors came from--Hungary--and I couldn't be a guitarist-songwriter. There were none. So what would I be? "First of all," I said, "I surely was a sailor." Then I said, "Nah, I wouldn't have been a sailor. Well, what would a Jewish guy be? A tailor." That's what it was. I would have been a tailor. And then I started to see myself as like, a perfect little tailor. Then, once, talking to my father about my grandfather, whom I never knew--he died when my father was young--I found out that his name was Paul Simon, and I found out that he was a tailor in Vienna. It wiped me out that that happened. It's amazing, isn't it? He was a tailor that came from Vienna.
659 Barenaked Ladies Falling For the First Time

660 Simon & Garfunkel For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
CR- Paul Simon has said that the song is not about an imaginary girl Emily, but about a belief, while the song "Overs" (from the album Bookends) is about the loss of that belief. Garfunkel's soaring vocals here foreshadow his efforts in Bridge Over Troubled Waters.
661 Beatles For No One
662 Stevens, Cat Foreigner Suite

663 Who Getting In Tune
CR- Rolling Stone Magazine critic John Mendelsohn praises the dynamics of the song in the way it alternates lyrical passages with more powerful rock passages, increasing the effect of both.[6] Mendelsohn also praises Daltrey's singing.[6] Sputnik Music's review calls "Getting in Tune" an "awesome song," particularly praising Moon's drumming and how Moon "keeps the groove" throughout the entire song.[7] Allmusic critic Tom Maginnis praises the song's arrangement as "brilliant" and praises "the band's mastery of dynamics, tension, and release techniques coalescing seamlessly with strong, memorable melodies."
664 Harrison, George Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

665 Who Going Mobile
CR- guitarist and songwriter Townshend handled the vocals on the song.[1][2][5] Instrumentation includes acoustic guitar, bass guitar and drums.[1] A VCS 3 synthesizer is also overdubbed on part of the song.[1][2] Further, on his guitar solo, Townshend plays the instrument through an envelope follower, a type of ARP synthesizer that produces what Townshend describes as a "fuzzy wah-wah sound."[2][4][6] Author Chris Charlesworth describes the effect as being as if Townshend is playing underwater. Allmusic critic Tom Maginnis describes Entwistle's bass playing on the song as "ultra-fluid" and Moon's drumming as "exuberant."
666 Beatles Good Day Sunshine
667 Harrison, George Got My Mind Set On You
668 Blondie Hanging On The Telephone
669 Jackson, Joe Happy Ending
670 Hollies He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
671 Lewis, Huey & The News Heart And Soul
672 Wonder, Stevie Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away
673 Rundgren, Todd Heavy Metal Kids
674 Wonder, Stevie He's Misstra Know It All
675 Holman, Eddie Hey There Lonely Girl
676 Pink Floyd Hey You
677 Toto Hold the Line
678 Argent Hold Your Head Up
679 Seger, Bob Hollywood Nights
680 Buble, Michael Home

681 Steely Dan Home At Last
CR-one of my favorites from the Aja album. Listen for Bernard Purdie's drumming here; that beat is so distinctive that it's called the ""Purdie Shuffle,"" even among people who don't listen to Steely Dan. This song is based on the epic novel The Odyssey by Homer. The hero, Ulysses, is trying to get home across the ocean after the Trojan War, but the gods keep making it difficult:
""Though the danger on the rocks is surely past,
still I remain tied to the mast""
These lyrics refer to an incident where Ulysses had all his crew block their ears so they wouldn't hear the Sirens' song and crash the boat on the rocks, but Ulysses kept his ears open and had his crew tie him to the mast so he wouldn't dive off the boat."
682 Simon & Garfunkel Homeward Bound
683 Fray How to Save a Life
684 Jackson, Michael Human Nature
685 Ronstadt, Linda Hurt So Bad
685 Simon & Garfunkel I Am A Rock
687 Fleetwood Mac I Don't Wanna Know
688 King Crimson I Talk To The Wind
689 Third Eye Blind I Want You
690 Beatles I Want You (She's So Heavy)
691 Petty, Tom I Won't Back Down
692 Fagen, Donald I.G.Y
693 England Dan & John Ford Coley I'd Really Love To See You Tonight
694 Croce, Jim I'll Have to Say I Love You In A Song
695 Davis Group, Spencer I'm a Man
696 Jackson, Joe I'm The Man
697 U2 In God's Country

698 Allman Brothers Band In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
CR- Parts of this solo would draw comparison to John Coltrane and his sheets of sound, others to Miles Davis' classic Kind of Blue album. Duane Allman biographer Randy Poe wrote that "[Allman]'s playing jazz in a rock context" reflected the emerging jazz fusion movement, only in reverse. Allman himself told writer Robert Palmer at that time, "that kind of playing comes from Miles and Coltrane, and particularly Kind of Blue. I've listened to that album so many times that for the past couple of years, I haven't hardly listened to anything else." Almost two decades later, Palmer would write of the Allmans, "that if the musicians hadn't quite scaled Coltrane-like heights, they had come as close as any rock band was likely to get." Rolling Stone would say in 2002 that the song's performance found the musicians "lock[ed] together ... with the grace and passion of the tightest jazz musicians," while in 2008, it said the trills, crawls, and sustain of the guitar work represented "the language of jazz charged with electric R&B futurism."

699 Squeeze In Quintessence
CR- The song has the loose pub-rock vibe of one of producer's (Dave Edmunds') albums, powered by energetically strummed acoustic guitars and Paul Carrack's garagey organ. Lyrically, the song is a breathless torrent of syllables, poking gentle fun at the nervy, awkward and somewhat pretentious adolescent that's their subject. As in many of the best Squeeze songs, Glenn Tilbrook's choirboy chirp and Chris Difford's dry croak are used simultaneously throughout the song, a vocal trademark that's one of the group's most unique assets.
700 Genesis In Too Deep

701 Utopia Intro/Mister Triscuits
CR- Intro and Mister Triscuits are two Powell compositions the first being a pyrotechnic comedy sketch by means of a duel between Powell's synth and Rundgren's guitar
702 Beatles It Won't Be Long
703 Who I've Had Enough
704 April Wine Just Between You And Me

705 Simon & Garfunkel Keep The Customer Satisfied
CR- great song from the Bridge Over Troubled Water album
706 Seals & Crofts King Of Nothing

707 Steely Dan King of the World
CR-post nuclear holocaust theme makes this one a bit edgy. King Of The World was written after Becker and Fagen watched the 1962 film "Panic In The Year Zero!"
708 Wonder, Stevie Knocks Me Off My Feet
709 Beach Boys Kokomo
710 Beatles Lady Madonna

711 Clapton, Eric Let It Grow
CR - Clapton played the dobro on this. A dobro is a type of acoustic guitar with a raised bridge and resonator cone which produces a moaning sound. Some have said that this song is about Clapton's efforts to overcome his heroin addiction.
712 Townshend, Pete Let My Love Open The Door
713 Grass Roots Let's Live For Today
714 Scaggs, Boz Lido Shuffle
715 Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe
716 Led Zeppelin Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)
717 Bee Gees Lonely Days
718 America Lonely People

719 Yes Long Distance Runaround
CR- great song from the Fragile album. Jon Anderson wrote the lyrics to this song while allegedly remembering his encounters with religious hypocrisy and competition he experienced in attending church regularly as a youth in northern England. "Long time / waiting to feel the sound" was a sentiment toward wanting to see a real, compassionate, non-threatening example of godliness.
720 Wonder, Stevie Looking For Another Pure Love

721 Doors Love Her Madly
CR- The song was composed by the band’s guitarist, Robby Krieger.

722 Sweet Love is Like Oxygen
CR-pop song that grabbed be when I was 22. Sweet guitarist Andy Scott wrote this and was nominated for an Ivor Novello Award for the composition. It lost to "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty.
723 Beatles Lovely Rita
724 Wonder, Stevie Love's In Need Of Love Today
725 Journey Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

726 Style Council Luck
CR-another great song from Weller at his Style Council peak
727 Emerson, Lake & Palmer Lucky Man
728 Aerosmith Mama Kin

729 Costello, Elvis Man Out Of Time
CR-Man Out Of Time was the product of a troubling dialogue that Costello had with himself that continued through his more regretful moments. "I recall looking at my reflection in the frozen window of a Scandinavian tour bus without any idea who the hell I was supposed to be. I was trying to think or feel my way out of a defeated and exhausted frame of mind to something more glorious. This was resolved in song, one shivering, hungover morning in the manicured gardens of a remote Scottish hotel. The house in which we were staying had played a very minor part in one of Britain’s most notorious political scandals, apparently serving briefly as a bolt-hole for one of the disgraced protagonists. I actually delighted at the thought of this sordid history; it suited my mood. I can’t say that the words and ideas that emerged from these experiences were exactly welcome news to some of the band members. Like I could give a damn."
730 Beatles Maxwell's Silver Hammer
731 Matthews, Dave Mother Father
732 Beatles Mother Nature's Son

733 Cowboy Junkies Musical Key
CR- One of Margo Timmins' best vocal efforts.
734 Heart Never
735 Fagen, Donald New Frontier
736 Moody Blues New Horizons
737 Wonder, Stevie Ngiculela - Es Una Historia - I Am Singing

738 Rundgren, Todd Number 1 Lowest Common Denominator
CR-some weirdness from Todd on this song. Some have indicated that he is punning Jimi Hendrix in this song.
739 Beatles Octopus's Garden
740 Beatles Oh! Darling
741 Allman Brothers Band One Way Out
742 Santana Oye Como Va

743 Joel, Billy Prelude/Angry Young Man
CR-loved this when Billy did it live at Stony Brook in 1976
744 Led Zeppelin Ramble On

745 Browne, Jackson Redneck Friend
CR- Elton John plays piano on the song, but is credited as "Rockaday Johnnie," supposedly due to the fact that John was in the United States without a work permit at the time. If you know what these lyrics are about - let the rest of the gang in on the joke.
746 Supremes Reflections
747 Foo Fighters Resolve
748 Cross, Christopher Ride Like The Wind
749 Browne, Jackson Rock Me On The Water
750 Santana Samba Pa Ti
751 Chicago Saturday In The Park
752 Wonder, Stevie Saturn
753 Simon & Garfunkel Scarborough Fair/Canticle
754 Blind Faith Sea Of Joy
755 Beatles She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
756 Pink Floyd Sheep
757 Joel, Billy She's Always A Woman

758 Tower of Power So Very Hard to Go
CR/soul-with jazz/horn - a San Francisco Bay area favorite - The story here is sad; it's about saying goodbye to a relationship. This works as a national anthem for those who had to exit a relationship a little sooner than they had planned. That point is driven home by Bruce Conte's Steve Cropper-like emotional and blues-based guitar fills. The horn chart here is also reminiscent of Al Green's "Tired of Being Alone." Later, band co-founder and saxophonist Stephen "Doc" Krupa stated that some of the lyrics had a double meaning for the departed group members. Whether this is an elegy for exiting bandmates or an unerring look at a relationship, "So Very Hard to Go" works to point of being a painful, emotional roller coaster of a listen.
759 Linkin Park Somewhere I Belong
760 Red Hot Chili Peppers Soul To Squeeze
761 Allman Brothers Band Southbound
762 Pink Floyd Speak To Me/Breathe
763 Classics IV Spooky
764 Utopia Stand For Something
765 Ocean, Billy Suddenly
766 Jackson, Joe Sunday Papers
767 Rundgren, Todd Sweeter Memories
768 Doobie Brothers Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)
769 Supertramp Take The Long Way Home
770 Genesis Taking It All Too Hard
771 Chapin, Harry Taxi
772 Young, Neil Tell Me Why
773 Gabriel, Peter That Voice Again
774 Sinatra, Frank That's Life
775 Moody Blues The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?) : Time To Get Away
776 Henley, Don The End Of The Innocence
777 Winwood, Steve The Finer Things
778 Beatles The Fool On The Hill
779 Supremes The Happening
780 Lewis, Huey & The News The Heart Of Rock & Roll
781 Eagles The Long Run

782 Style Council The Paris Match
CR-a wistful ballad that showcases Tracey Thorn singing lyrics that contain some French in a soulful, sad manner. Such words as "Empty nights with nothing to do/I sit and think every thought is for you," best sum up the melancholy nature of this song, which marks one of the furthest departures from the Jam that Weller ever recorded. There is a version without Tracey Thorn at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhWXamkfw8 - but I find the Thorn version to be far superior.
783 Fogelberg, Dan The Power Of Gold
784 Led Zeppelin The Rain Song
785 Browne, Jackson The Road And The Sky
786 Utopia The Road To Utopia
787 Joel, Billy The Stranger
788 Rundgren, Todd The Verb "To Love"
789 Kansas The Wall
790 Sinatra, Frank The Way You Look Tonight
791 Collective Soul The World I Know
792 Croce, Jim These Dreams
793 Steely Dan Third World Man
794 Beatles This Boy
795 Grateful Dead Till The Morning Comes
796 Ronstadt, Linda Tracks Of My Tears
797 Dire Straits Tunnel Of Love
798 Meat Loaf Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
799 Who Underture
800 Red Hot Chili Peppers Universally Speaking
801 Joel, Billy Until The Night
802 Shocking Blue Venus
803 Eagles Victim Of Love
804 Santana Victory Is Won
805 Wonder, Stevie Visions
806 Browne, Jackson Walking Slow
807 Eagles Wasted Time

808 Mason, Dave We Just Disagree
CR-written by Jim Krueger - a rational break up song
809 Heart What About Love
810 Led Zeppelin What is and What Should Never Be
811 Beach Boys When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
812 Journey Who's Crying Now
813 Association Windy
814 Eagles Witchy Woman
815 Wings With a Little Luck
816 Rundgren, Todd Woman's World

817 Rundgren, Todd Wondering
CR-a newer song from Todd that works for me
818 Beatles Yellow Submarine

819 Poco You Better Think Twice
CR- Richard Furay's band sounds great on this song
820 Baker, Anita You Bring Me Joy
821 Weller, Paul You Do Something To Me
822 Beatles You Never Give Me Your Money
823 Gaye, Marvin You're A Wonderful One

824 Tower of Power You're Still A Young Man
CR- with some Jazz and horn elements. Another San Francisco Bay area favorite
825 Barry, Len 123
826 Monae, Janelle Cold War
827 Striesand, Barbara Evergreen

828 Lynyrd Skynyrd Gimme Three Steps
CR-standard that you should hear at least once before dismissing it. Lots of fun.
829 Traveling Wilburys Handle With Care
830 Chicago Hard To Say I'm Sorry
831 Balin, Marty Hearts
832 Ronstadt, Linda Love Has No Pride
833 America Only In Your Heart
834 Ronstadt, Linda Ooh Baby Baby
835 Bass, Fontella Rescue Me
836 Bad Company Rock Steady
837 Winter, Edgar Round & Round
838 King, Carole Smackwater Jack
839 Doobie Brothers South City Midnight Lady
840 Sinatra, Frank Strangers in the Night
841 Baez, Joan The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
842 Temptations The Way You Do The Things You Do
843 Stevens, Cat Tuesday's Dead
844 King, Carole Way Over Yonder
845 Houston, Whitney Where Do broken Hearts Go
846 Rundgren, Todd Where Does the Time Go
847 King, Carole Where You Lead
848 Houston, Whitney You're Still My Man

849 Mountain Nantucket Sleighride
CR-worth a listen if you are an STH lover
850 Benatar, Pat Love Is A Battlefield
851 Carey, Mariah Vision Of Love
852 U2 Even Better Than The Real Thing
853 Three Dog Night Joy To The World
854 Kool and The Gang Celebration
855 Jackson 5 ABC
856 Smashmouth All Star
857 Beatles And I Love Her

858 Stories Brother Louie
CR-racial tensions in the 1970's
859 Young, Neil Cowgirl In The Sand

860 Morrison, Van Domino
CR- might work if you're a Van fan
861 Police Don't Stand So Close To Me
862 Winter, Edgar Frankenstein
863 Browne, Jackson Here Come Those Tears Again

864 Rascals [ url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKeSUUK-A4]How Can I Be Sure?[/url]
CR-goes well with Todd's - Sometimes I Don't Know How to Feel
865 Ace How Long
866 Jethro Tull Hymn 43
867 Supremes I'm livin' in shame
868 Morissette, Alanis Ironic
869 Ozark Mountain Daredevils Jackie Blue

870 Band King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
CR-I may have to place this song higher next time. The vocals seem to have a sense of urgency.
871 Cranberries Linger

872 Electric Light Orchestra Livin' Thing
CR- is this really about abortion? Or is it about a love that's alive?
873 Steppenwolf Magic Carpet Ride

874 Bread Make It with You
CR- sweetly intoxicating vocal from David Gates (no relation to Bill)
875 Buffett, Jimmy Margaritaville

876 Simon, Paul with Garfunkel, Art My Little Town
CR-I remember singing this song with my buddy Kenny Cohen on the chair lifts when I went skiiing for the first time (in icy Vermont)

877 Squeeze Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)
CR- great song from the lyrical specialists Difford and Tillbrook
878 Hendrix, Jimi Red House
879 Hall & Oates Rich Girl
880 Springsteen, Bruce Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
881 Wonder, Stevie Sir Duke
882 Ian, Janis Society's Child
883 Zombies Time Of The Season
884 Gaye, Marvin Too Busy Thinking About My Baby
885 Rolling Stones Under My Thumb
886 Joel, Billy Uptown Girl
887 Foreigner Urgent
888 Franklin, Aretha Baby, I Love You
889 Eagles Lyin' Eyes
890 Pretenders Talk Of The Town
891 Spinners Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
892 Rolling Stones Ruby Tuesday
893 Interpol Evil
894 Police Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
895 Pink Floyd Time
896 Hendrix, Jimi Fire
897 Who The Magic Bus
898 Beatles I Feel Fine
899 Beach Boys Caroline, No
900 10cc The Things We Do For Love
901 Simon, Paul You Can Call Me Al
902 Bowie, David Suffragette City
903 Clapton, Eric After Midnight
904 Bee Gees Night Fever

905 Mayfield, Curtis Superfly
Soul - title track from Rolling Stones 72nd best album of all time
906 Heart Crazy On You
907 Red Hot Chili Peppers By The Way

908 Green, Al Love and Happiness
Soul - starts off so soft and then gets funky. Green's vocals are a treat.

909 Clapton, Eric Wonderful Tonight
CR- many women that I know love this song
910 Coldplay Clocks
911 Hendrix, Jimi The Wind Cries Mary
912 Bachman-Turner Overdrive Takin' Care of Business
913 Morrison, Van Wild Night
914 Who 5:15
915 Starr, Ringo It Don't Come Easy
916 Presley, Elvis Can't Help Falling In Love
917 Doors Hello, I Love You
918 Four Tops It's the Same Old Song
919 Doobie Brothers What A Fool Believes
920 Browne, Jackson Running On Empty
921 Coltrane, John My Favorite Things
922 Rasberries Go All The Way
923 Lightfoot, Gordon If You Could Read My Mind
924 Dylan, Bob All Along The Watchtower
925 Creedence Clearwater Revival Have You Ever Seen the Rain
926 Rolling Stones It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
927 Foo Fighters Monkey Wrench
928 Hendrix, Jimi Manic Depression
929 Allman Brothers Band Whipping Post
930 Simon, Paul 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
931 Robinson, Smokey Ooo Baby Baby
932 Pink Floyd Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)
933 No Doubt Don't Speak
934 Roxy Music More Than This
935 Dylan, Bob Hurricane
936 Creedence Clearwater Revival Up Around The Bend
937 Young, Neil Down By The River
938 Beatles And Your Bird Can Sing
939 Spinners I'll be around
940 Eagles Desperado
941 LCD Soundsystem Someone Great
942 Young, Neil Cinnamon Girl
943 Who The Kids Are Alright
944 Beat Mirror In The Bathroom
945 Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker
946 Zevon, Warren Werewolves Of London
947 Dylan, Bob I Want You
948 Queen We Will Rock You
949 Beatles Day Tripper
950 Wings Jet
951 Jackson, Michael Rock With You
952 Gabriel, Peter Sledgehammer
953 Isaak, Chris Wicked Game
954 McCartney, Paul Maybe I'm Amazed
955 Sly & The Family Stone Hot Fun In The Summer Time
956 Dylan, Bob Knockin' On Heaven's Door
957 Bowie, David Fame
958 Summer, Donna Hot Stuff
959 Rolling Stones Let's Spend The Night Together
960 Dion A Teenager In Love
961 Brubeck, Dave Take Five
962 Joplin, Janis Piece Of My Heart
963 Wonder, Stevie Higher Ground
964 Band The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
965 Police Message In a Bottle
966 Madonna Papa Don't Preach
967 LaBelle, Patti Lady Marmalade
968 Dylan, Bob Just Like A Woman
969 Petty, Tom Free Fallin'
970 Ellington, Duke Take the "A" Train
971 Franklin, Aretha Think
972 Zombies She's Not There
973 Rolling Stones Miss You
974 Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
975 Beatles Come Together
976 Orbison, Roy In Dreams
977 Pretenders Back on the Chain Gang
978 Rolling Stones Tumbling Dice
979 John, Elton Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
980 Costello, Elvis Watching The Detectives
981 O'Jays Back Stabbers
982 Doors Riders On The Storm
983 Melvin, Harold And The Bluenotes If You Dont Know Me By Now
984 Clash Rock The Casbah
985 Morissette, Alanis You Oughta Know
986 Led Zeppelin Kashmir
987 Chapman, Tracy Fast Car
988 Led Zeppelin Rock and Roll
989 Smith, Patti Because The Night
990 Gaynor, Gloria I Will Survive
991 Bon Jovi Livin' On A Prayer
992 Creedence Clearwater Revival Bad Moon Rising
993 Jackson, Michael Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
994 Beatles Revolution 1
995 Henley, Don The Boys of Summer
996 Beatles Ticket To Ride
997 Beatles Paperback Writer
998 Dylan, Bob Tangled Up In Blue
999 AC/DC Highway to Hell
1000 Supremes Where Did Our Love Go
Last edited by Henry on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Song List Special #2: Henry

Post by Moonbeam »

Henry, the general format for hyperlinks is (without spaces) as follows: [ url = http://www.whatever.com ]Text to be displayed[ /url ].

So, for instance, you can quote this message and see that I really liked The Isley Brothers' (Who's) That Lady. I had never heard it before but I've long been intrigued by the Isleys. The pulsating energy you describe is very appealing and that guitar is pure fire! I look forward to browsing more tracks. :)
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Interesting to read about the lyrics of Steely Dan's "Home at Last". I never knew about it before. Now it seems so obvious.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Henry, listening to your list I'm diving into a great sea of 70's music, and I love that decade.

Chicago - Questions 67 & 68

I'm a big fan of Chicago. This band and me go waaaaay back... I love their music, especially the horns. And this song is full of gorgeous horns.
My favorite Chicago song is 25 or 6 to 4 with this incredible guitar chorus.

Yes / I've Seen All Good People
I don't know Yes - except for their 1983 hit "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" (that I love). I had "Close to the edge" back in the 1990s but I could never listen to it (too weird). So this song is a real surprise, the vocals sound like CSNY and the guitars are great. They sound like a country rock band on that track. Great 70s stuff.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

nicolas wrote: Yes / I've Seen All Good People
I don't know Yes - except for their 1983 hit "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" (that I love).
Have you ever heard "Roundabout"?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

nicolas wrote:My favorite Chicago song is 25 or 6 to 4 with this incredible guitar chorus.
The guitar chorus in 25 to 6 or 4 is indeed very powerful.

I used to play the first few bars back in the early 1970's. But, in part due to my rather mediocre playing those first few bars were frequently confused with the guitar from Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry, as I did with Moonbeam’s list, I have listed below the songs I was already familiar with that made both of our Top 500 lists. In total, there are 58 songs that made both, with 32 more that I included in my 555 Honorable Mentions. I suspect that you and I may be around the same age, since it seems that we grew up listening to the same music. I also suspect that, since I loved a great many of the songs that I was unfamiliar with on Moonbeam’s list, that my tastes are pretty balanced between the two of you. (For example, I love classic rock, but a few of my favorite artists are The Cure, Madonna, Prince, and New Order, which were ubiquitous throughout Moonbeam’s list). Because Moonbeam’s list contained a lot more songs that I didn’t know, yours had a lot more that were already favorites of mine. For starters, here are the songs that made both of our lists, as well as their rank on my list:

Jefferson Starship—Miracles (#3 on my list)
Led Zeppelin—Stairway to Heaven (#8)
Otis Redding—(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay (#11)
The Association—Cherish (#14)
The Beatles—A Day in the Life (#20)
Fleetwood Mac—Rhiannon (#26)
The Beatles—Yesterday (#38)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience—All Along the Watchtower (#41)
The Beach Boys—Good Vibrations (#52)
The Bee Gees—How Deep is Your Love (#59)
The Eagles—One of These Nights (#65)
Carly Simon—That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be (#72)
Neil Young—Southern Man (#74)
Derek & the Dominoes—Layla (#84)
Blue Oyster Cult—(Don’t Fear) The Reaper (#86)
Seals & Crofts—Summer Breeze (#91)
Simon & Garfunkel—Bridge Over Troubled Water (#92)
The Who—Behind Blue Eyes (#94)
Nirvana—Smells Like Teen Spirit (#97)
Chuck Berry—Johnny B. Goode (#109)
The Rolling Stones—Paint It Black (#136)
The Clash—London Calling (#138)
Aretha Franklin—Respect (#162)
Stevie Wonder—Superstition (#163)
Van Morrison—Moondance (#169)
The Rolling Stones—(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (#170)
Sly & the Family Stone—Family Affair (#171)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer—From the Beginning (#183)
The Temptations—Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone (#187)
The Beatles—While My Guitar Gently Weeps (#188)
The Band—The Weight (#190)
Simon & Garfunkel—The Sound of Silence (#200)
Wham! Featuring George Michael—Careless Whisper (#206)
Aerosmith—Dream On (#210)
Boston—More Than a Feeling (#212)
Al Green—Let’s Stay Together (#214)
The Doobie Brothers—Long Train Runnin’ (#237)
Jethro Tull—Locomotive Breath (#241)
The Human League—Don’t You Want Me (#255)
America—Sister Golden Hair (#266)
Foreigner—Double Vision (#268)
The Beatles—Here Comes the Sun (#316)
Carole King—It’s Too Late (#326)
The Eagles—Hotel California (#361)
Three Dog Night—One (#366)
Steppenwolf—Born to be Wild (#370)
Steely Dan—Hey Nineteen (#390)
BB King—The Thrill is Gone (#393)
Marvin Gaye—What’s Going On (#397)
The Lovin’ Spoonful—Summer in the City (#403)
Billy Joel—My Life (#405)
The Cranberries—Promises (#418)
Radiohead—Creep (#438)
Bread—Everything I Own (#440)
The Beatles—Something (#451)
The Police—Roxanne (#457)
Elton John—Your Song (#466)
Supertramp—The Logical Song (#471)

Honorable Mentions:

Aerosmith—Walk This Way
Ambrosia—How Much I Feel
Bad Company—Bad Company
The Beach Boys—I Get Around
The Beatles—Hey Jude
The Bee Gees—Stayin’ Alive
Blondie—Heart of Glass
Bob Dylan—Like a Rolling Stone
The Cars—Just What I Needed
Chicago—25 or 6 to 4
Dire Straits—Sultans of Swing
The Eagles—I Can’t Tell You Why
Elton John—Tiny Dancer
Foo Fighters—Everlong
Jim Croce—Time in a Bottle
Joe Jackson—One More Time
Kansas—Dust in the Wind
Linda Ronstadt—You’re No Good
Lou Reed—Walk on the Wild Side
Michael Jackson—Beat It
Michael Jackson—Billie Jean
Paul McCartney & Wings—Band on the Run
Queen—Bohemian Rhapsody
The Rolling Stones—Jumpin’ Jack Flash
Seals & Crofts—Diamond Girl
Spandau Ballet—True
Steve Miller Band—Fly Like an Eagle
Stevie Wonder—Living for the City
The Supremes—My World is Empty without You
The Supremes—You Keep Me Hangin’ On
Todd Rundgren—Hello It’s Me
The Young Rascals—A Beautiful Morning

As I said, I do plan on listening to the entire Top 100 of your list, as well as the songs that you have highlighted. I will get back to you within the next week or so regarding my favorites that I was unfamiliar with!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote: Jefferson Starship—Miracles (#3 on my list)
If you rate Miracles so highly I wonder if you are familiar with some of Marty Balin's more obscure work with the band Bodacious DF.

I especially like Bodacious DF's song Driving Me Crazy which can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18ZGzNTB3s

and also the song Second Hand Information which I have not yet found available on line.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

For anyone interested in a deeper dive, I now provide songs 1001-2500.

1001 Knight, Gladys Midnight Train To Georgia
1002 Mott the Hoople All the Young Dudes
1003 Cooke, Sam You Send Me
1004 Springsteen, Bruce Born In The U.S.A.
1005 Smiths How Soon Is Now?
1006 Beatles In My Life
1007 Springsteen, Bruce Thunder Road
1008 Beach Boys Don't Worry Baby
1009 Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter
1010 Procol Harum A Whiter Shade of Pale
1011 ABBA Dancing Queen
1012 Creedence Clearwater Revival Fortunate Son
1013 Orbison, Roy Oh, Pretty Woman
1014 Oasis Wonderwall
1015 Bowie, David Space Oddity
1016 O'Connor, Sinead Nothing Compares 2 U
1017 Presley, Elvis Don't Be Cruel
1018 Guns N' Roses Sweet Child O' Mine
1019 Berry, Chuck Maybellene
1020 Perkins, Carl Blue Suede Shoes
1021 Sledge, Percy When A Man Loves A Woman
1022 Presley, Elvis Suspicious Minds
1023 Animals House of the Rising Sun
1024 Presley, Elvis Hound Dog
1025 Verve Bitter Sweet Symphony
1026 Barkley, Gnarls Crazy
1027 Holly, Buddy That'll Be the Day
1028 Charles, Ray What'd I Say (Parts 1 & 2)
1029 Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart
1030 Ronettes Be My Baby
1031 Who My Generation
1032 Gaye, Marvin I Heard It Through The Grapevine

1033 Traffic Glad CR- Mr. Winwood works his keyboard magic on this song

1034 Arvo Part Tabula Rasa: I. Ludus CM- I first heard this one when it was up against one my nominations in moderately acclaimed. Great song.
1035 Giulini, Carlo Maria Beethoven: Ode to Joy
1036 Bernstein, Leonard Gershwin: An American In Paris
1037 Bernstein, Leonard Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue
1038 Grosjean, Jim Handel: Water Music - Hornpipe

1039 Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Mozart: Concerto in E Flat for 2 Pianos, K 365 - Mvt. 3
CM-may not be too familiar
1040 Bach, Johann Sebastian No 3, Allegro
1041 Bach, Johann Sebastian No. 4 Allegro
1042 Bach, Johann Sebastian No. 5 Allegro

1043 Lighthouse One Fine Morning
CR-nice horns

1044 Bernstein, Leonard Schuman: American Festival Overture
1045 Lockhart, Keith The Stars & Stripes Forever

1046 Accardo, Salvatore Violin Concerto: 1. Allegro moderato

1047 Perlman, Itahak Vivaldi: Violin Concerto in A Minor, Op. 3/6, RV 356, "L’Estro Armonico #6" - 1. Allegro CM-may not be too familiar

1048 Perlman, Itahak Vivaldi: Violin Concerto In C Minor, RV 199, "Il Sospetto" - 1. Allegro
1049 Cassuto, Alvaro Vivaldi: Violin Concerto In E, Op. 8/1, RV 269, "The Four Seasons (Spring)" - 1. Allegro
1050 Squeeze Woman's World
1051 Spiral Staircase More Today Than Yesterday

1052 Zino Francescatti / Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto In D, Op. 35 - 3. Finale: Allegro Vivacissimo

1053 Alvaro Cassuto / Vivaldi: Violin Concerto In E, Op. 8/1, RV 269, "The Four Seasons (Spring)" - 1. Allegro CM-may not be too familiar
1054 Red Hot Chili Peppers Under The Bridge

1055 Stevie Wonder If You Really Love Me
Soul- catchy song before his two monster albums
1056 Ingram, Luther (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right
1057 Van Halen (Oh) Pretty Woman
1058 Simon, Carly (We Have) No Secrets
1059 Marshall Tucker Band 24 Hours At A Time
1060 Monkees A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
1061 Boston A Man I'll Never Be
1062 Style Council A Man Of Great Promise
1063 Simon & Garfunkel A Poem On The Underground Wall
1064 Style Council A Stones Throw Away
1065 Genesis ABACAB
1066 Beatles Act Naturally
1067 Blink-182 Adam's Song
1068 McLachlan, Sarah Adia

1069 Return to Forever After the Cosmic Rain
Jazz - fusion from the 1970's - lots of scales but also some clever composition and fabulous instrumental virtuousity
1070 Foo Fighters Ain't It The Life
1071 Four Tops Ain't No Woman
1072 Barenaked Ladies Alcohol
1073 Style Council All Gone Away
1074 Byrds All I Really Want To Do
1075 Wonder, Stevie All In Love Is Fair
1076 Harrison, George All Things Must Pass
1077 Association Along Comes Mary
1078 Yes And You and I
1079 Satriani, Joe Andalusia
1080 Hendrix, Jimi Angel
1081 McLachlan, Sarah Angel
1082 Simon & Garfunkel Anji
1083 Pink Floyd Another Brick in the Wall Part 1
1084 Beatles Another Girl
1085 Pink Floyd Any Colour You Like
1086 Steely Dan Any Major Dude Will Tell You
1087 Journey Anytime
1088 Winwood, Steve Arc of a Diver
1089 Roxy Music Avalon
1090 Led Zeppelin Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
1091 Simon & Garfunkel Baby Driver
1092 Croce, Jim Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
1093 Beatles Because
1094 Rundgren, Todd Believe In Me
1095 Beat Best Friend
1096 Beatles Birthday
1097 McLachlan, Sarah Black & White
1098 Rundgren, Todd Black and White
1099 Squeeze Black Coffee In Bed
1100 Steely Dan Black Cow
1101 Manfred Mann's Earth Band Blinded By the Light
1102 Style Council Blue Café
1103 Steely Dan Bodhisattva
1104 Mitchell, Joni Both Sides Now
1105 Clarkson, Kelly Breakaway
1106 Nalick, Anna Breathe (2 AM)
1107 Buffalo Springfield Broken Arrow
1108 King, Carole Brother, Brother
1109 Usher Burn
1110 Train Calling All Angels
1111 Weller, Paul Can You Heal Us (Holy Man)
1112 Return to Forever Captain Senor Mouse
1113 Fogerty, John Centerfield
1114 Cooke, Sam Chain Gang
1115 Clapton, Eric Cocaine
1116 Foreigner Cold as Ice
1117 Geils, J. Band Come Back
1118 Led Zeppelin Communication Breakdown
1119 Taylor, James Country Road
1120 Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love
1121 Young, Neil Cripple Creek Ferry
1122 Who Cut My Hair
1123 Led Zeppelin Dancing Days

1124 Beach Boys Darlin'
CR- worth a listen
1125 Mayer, John Daughters

1126 Collective Soul December
CR- moving into the 1990's
1127 Mamas & The Papas Dedicated To The One I Love
1128 Doobie Brothers Dependin' On You

1129 Nelly & Kelly Rowland Dilemma
Soul - great bass on this song
1130 McLachlan, Sarah Do What You Have To Do

1131 Michaels, Lee Do You Know What I Mean?
CR- is the Oasis version as good as the original? Both are a bit repetitive but still work for me.
1132 Who Doctor Jimmy
1133 Joel, Billy Don't Ask Me Why
1134 Boston Don't Be Afraid
1135 Blink-182 Don't Leave Me
1136 Rolling Stones Don't Stop
1137 Who Dreaming From The Waist
1138 Genesis Duke's End
1139 Genesis Duke's Travels
1140 Blink-182 Dumpweed
1141 Linkin Park Easier to Run
1142 Doobie Brothers Echoes of Love
1143 Santana El Farol

1144 Palmer, Robert Every Kinda People
CR- not sure how obscure this song is
1145 Vertical Horizon Everything You Want
1146 Young, Paul Everytime You Go Away

1147 Parsons, Alan - Project Eye In The Sky
CR- one of my wife's favorites
1148 McLachlan, Sarah Fallen
1149 Browne, Jackson Farther On
1150 Boston Feelin' Satisfied
1151 Journey Feeling That Way
1152 Foreigner Feels Like The First Time
1153 Lewis, Huey & The News Finally Found A Home
1154 Genesis Follow You, Follow Me
1155 Loggins, Kenny Footloose
1156 Boston Foreplay Long Time
1157 Grateful Dead Friend Of The Devil
1158 Foo Fighters Generator
1159 Buffalo Springfield Go And Say Goodbye
1160 Fine Young Cannibals Good Thing
1161 Sugarloaf Green Eyed Lady
1162 Morissette, Alanis Hand In My Pocket
1163 Jackson, Joe Happy Loving Couples
1164 Asia Heat of the Moment
1165 Led Zeppelin Hey Hey What Can I Do
1166 Cowboy Junkies Hold On To Me
1167 Style Council Homebreakers
1168 Foreigner Hot Blooded
1169 Beach Boys I Can Hear Music
1170 Led Zeppelin I Can't Quit You Baby
1171 Knight, Gladys I Heard It Through The Grapevine
1172 Lynyrd Skynard I Know a Little
1173 America I Need You
1174 Beatles I Need You
1175 Beatles I Want To Tell You
1176 Beatles If I Needed Someone
1177 Dylan, Bob If Not For You
1178 Costello, Elvis I'm Not Angry
1179 Fine Young Cannibals I'm Not The Man I Used To Be
1180 Eagles In the City
1181 Linkin Park In the End
1182 Rundgren, Todd Influenza
1183 Rundgren, Todd Initiation
1184 Genesis Invisible Touch
1185 Turtles It Ain't Me Babe
1186 Boston It's Easy
1187 Beatles I've Just Seen a Face
1188 Joel, Billy James
1189 Doobie Brothers Jesus is Just Alright
1190 Miller, Steve Jet Airliner
1191 Reeves, Martha & The Vandellas Jimmy Mack
1192 Pointer Sisters Jump (For My Love)
1193 Springsteen, Bruce Jungleland
1194 Wings Junior's Farm
1195 Genesis Just a Job to Do
1196 Cranberries Just My Imagination

1197 Emerson, Lake & Palmer Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression - Part 2)
CR- a bit long, but has some interesting bits
1198 Jackson, Joe Kinda Kute
1199 Boston Let Me Take You Home Tonight
1200 Williams, Deniece Let's Hear It For The Boy
1201 Band Life Is A Carnival
1202 Music Explosion Little Bit O'Soul
1203 Jethro Tull Living In The Past
1204 Hollies Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
1205 Larson, Nicolette Lotta Love
1206 Searchers Love Potion Number Nine
1207 Beatles Magical Mystery Tour
1208 Chicago Make Me Smile
1209 Rundgren, Todd Marlene
1210 Buckinghams Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
1211 Grass Roots Midnight Confessions
1212 Allman Brothers Band Midnight Rider
1213 Mamas & The Papas Monday Monday
1214 Fleetwood Mac Monday Morning
1215 Bee Gees More Than a Woman
1216 Rolling Stones Mother's Little Helper
1217 Jethro Tull My God
1218 Who My Wife
1219 Third Eye Blind Narcolepsy
1220 Foo Fighters New Way Home
1221 Foo Fighters Next Year
1222 Steely Dan Night by Night
1223 Mayer, John No Such Thing
1224 Guess Who No Time
1225 Beatles Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
1226 Stevens, Cat Oh Very Young
1227 Pink Floyd On the Run
1228 Lynyrd Skynard One More Time
1229 Linkin Park One Step Closer
1230 Fixx One Thing Leads To Another
1231 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Our House
1232 Eagles Peaceful Easy Feeling
1233 Jones, Howard Pearl In the Shell
1234 Steely Dan Pearl Of The Quarter
1235 Genesis Please Don't Ask
1236 Beatles Polythene Pam
1237 Gabriel, Peter Red Rain
1238 Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball
1239 Satriani, Joe Revelation

1240 Allman Brothers Band Revival
CR- provides a nice contemplative vibe

1241 Jackson, Joe Right And Wrong
CR- an anti-Reagan missive that likely applies to the rabid right in the US today even more.

1242 Boston Rock N Roll Band
1243 Beatles Rocky Raccoon
1244 Beach Boys Sail on Sailor

1245 America Sandman
CR- just about the only song where America actually rocks

1246 Hall & Oates Sara Smile
1247 Lynyrd Skynard Saturday Night Special
1248 Simon & Garfunkel Save The Life Of My Child
1249 Cranberries Saving Grace
1250 Fleetwood Mac Say You Love Me
1251 Who Sea and Sand
1252 Cranberries Shattered
1253 Beatles She's Leaving Home
1254 D'Arby, Terence Trent Sign Your Name
1255 Goo Goo Dolls Slide
1256 Who Slip Kid
1257 Collective Soul Smashing Young Man
1258 Wonder, Stevie Smile Please
1259 Simon & Garfunkel So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
1260 Boston Something About You
1261 Cowboy Junkies Something More Besides You
1262 Grass Roots Sooner or Later
1263 Return to Forever Space Circus Part I&II
1264 Cowboy Junkies Speaking Confidentially
1265 Fixx Stand Or Fall (Live )
1266 Stewart, Rod Stay with Me
1267 Emerson, Lake & Palmer Still...You Turn Me On
1268 Striesand, Barbara Stoney End
1269 Smashing Pumpkins Stumbleine
1270 Rundgren, Todd Sweet
1271 John, Elton Teacher I Need You
1272 Eagles Tequila Sunrise
1273 Genesis That's All
1274 Rundgren, Todd The Ballad (Denny & Jean)
1275 Steely Dan The Caves Of Altamira
1276 Matchbox Twenty The Difference
1277 Crow, Sheryl The First Cut is the Deepest
1278 Stewart, Rod The Killing Of Georgie (Parts 1 & 2)
1279 Led Zeppelin The Lemon Song
1280 Style Council The Little Boy In The Castle
1281 Ellis, Shirley The Name Game
1282 Beatles The Night Before
1283 Fagen, Donald The Nightfly
1284 Who The Rock
1285 Roxy Music The Space Between
1286 Rundgren, Todd The Ultimate Crime
1287 Utopia The Very Last Time
1288 Rundgren, Todd The Waiting Game
1289 Utopia The Wheel
1290 Style Council The Whole Point Of No Return
1291 Sinatra, Frank Theme From New York, New York
1292 Who They Are All In Love
1293 Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick
1294 Steely Dan Time Out of Mind
1295 Roxy Music To Turn You On
1296 Smashing Pumpkins Tonight Tonight
1297 Bee Gees Too Much Heaven
1298 Beat Too Nice To Talk To
1299 Roxy Music True to Life
1300 Rundgren, Todd Truth
1301 Genesis Turn It On Again
1302 Beatles Two of Us
1303 Wings Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

1304 Utopia Utopia Theme
CR- progressive rock supplement to The Ikon
1305 Ides Of March Vehicle
1306 Coldplay Viva La Vida
1307 Foo Fighters Walking After You
1308 Style Council Walls Come Tumbling Down
1309 Pink Floyd Welcome to the Machine
1310 Costello, Elvis Welcome To The Working Week

1311 Jones, Howard What Is Love?
CR-some synth - but probably not the kind that appeals to Moonbeam
1312 Style Council Why I Went Missing
1313 Style Council With Everything To Lose
1314 Cranberries You and Me
1315 Doobie Brothers You Belong To Me
1316 Lynyrd Skynard You Got That Right
1317 Beatles You Won't See Me
1318 Beatles Your Mother Should Know
1319 Wilson, Ann and Mike Reno Almost Paradise

1320 Benson, George At The Mambo Inn
Jazz?
1321 Styx Babe
1322 Powter, Daniel Bad Day
1323 Simon & Garfunkel Bleecker Street
1324 Rundgren, Todd Boat on the Charles
1325 Rivieras California Sun
1326 Chicago Call On Me
1327 Estefan, Gloria Can't Stay Away from You
1328 Ocean, Billy Carribean Queen (No More Love On The Run)
1329 .38 Special Caught Up In You

1330 Davis, Miles; Herbie Hancock Circle
Jazz
1331 Jay & The Americans Come A Little Bit Closer

1332 Beck, Jeff Constipated Duck
Jazz?
1333 Wonder, Stevie Contusion
1334 Loggins & Mesina Danny's Song
1335 Houston, Whitney Didn't We Almost Have It All
1336 America Don't Cross the River
1337 Van Halen Eruption
1338 Matthews, Dave Everyday
1339 Queen Fat Bottomed Girls
1340 Matchbox Twenty Feel
1341 Benatar, Pat Fire and Ice
1342 Steely Dan FM

1343 Bishop, Elvin Fooled Around And Fell In Love
CR- Elvin also provided a very good perfomance at Stony Brook back in 1976
1344 Houston, Whitney For The Love of You
1345 Browne, Jackson Fountain of Sorrow
1346 Otis, Shuggie Freedom Flight

1347 Beck, Jeff Freeway Jam
Jazz?
1348 Joplin, Janis Get It While You Can
1349 Coltrane, John Giant Steps
1350 Queen Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
1351 Simon, Carly Haven't Got Time For The Pain
1352 Foreigner Head Games
1353 Eagles Heartache Tonight
1354 Benatar, Pat Hell Is For Children
1355 Pointer Sisters He's So Shy

1356 Train Hey, Soul Sister
CR- another of my wife's favorites

1357 Focus Hocus Pocus
CR- my suite-mate Fred Grapel loved this one
1358 Scissor Sisters I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
1359 Beatles I Get By With A Little Help With My Friends
1360 Joel, Billy I Go to Extremes
1361 Wonder, Stevie I Just Called To Say I Love You
1362 Rare Earth I Just Want To Celebrate CR-good mood setter
1363 Savage Garden I Knew I Loved You
1364 Houston, Whitney I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
1365 Lewis, Huey & The News I Want A New Drug
1366 Harrison, George I'd Have You Anytime
1367 Lobo I'd Love You To Want Me

1368 Carter, Benny Idaho
Jazz

1369 Bread If
CR- David Gates on vocals again
1370 Harrison, George If Not for You
1371 Lewis, Huey & The News If This Is It
1372 Chicago If You Leave Me Now
1373 Warwick, Dionne I'll Never Love This Way Again
1374 Loggins, Kenny I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)
1375 Springsteen, Bruce I'm On Fire

1376 Bailey, Jeff In This Place
Jazz
1377 Barenaked Ladies It's All Been Done
1378 Scaggs, Boz It's Over

1379 King, Carole Jazzman
CR-very enjoyable song that is not from her Tapestry album
1380 Ronstadt, Linda Just One Look
1381 Chicago Just You 'n' Me
1382 Delfonics La La Means I Love You
1383 Fogelberg, Dan Leader Of The Band
1384 Wings Let 'Em In
1385 Four Seasons Let's Hang On
1386 Feliciano, Jose Light My Fire
1387 Thomas, Rob Lonely No More
1388 Fogelberg, Dan Longer
1389 Beatles Love Me Do
1390 Bee Gees Love So Right
1391 Utopia Lysistrata
1392 Hornsby, Bruce Mandolin Rain
1393 Style Council Mick's Blessings
1394 Doobie Brothers Minute by Minute
1395 Shondells Mony Mony
1396 Blood, Sweat & Tears More And More
1397 America Muskrat Love
1398 King, Carole Nightingale
1399 Chi-Lites Oh Girl
1400 Croce, Jim One Less Set of Footsteps
1401 Asia Only Time Will Tell
1402 Journey Open Arms
1403 Santana Open Invitation
1404 Dorsey, Tommy Opus One
1405 Van Halen Panama
1406 Boston Party
1407 Barenaked Ladies Pinch Me
1408 Climax Precious and Few
1409 Gaye, Marvin Pride and Joy
1410 Friend And Lover Reach Out Of The Darkness
1411 Blues Image Ride Captain Ride
1412 Steppenwolf Rock Me
1413 Houston, Whitney Run to You
1414 Bon Jovi Runaway
1415 Cross, Christopher Sailing
1416 Baker, Anita Same Ole Love
1417 Fall Out Boy Saturday
1418 Lynyrd Synyrd Simple Man
1419 Earth Wind and Fire Sing A Song
1420 Boston Smokin'
1421 Kansas Song For America
1422 Fall Out Boy Sophmore Slump or Comeback of the year
1423 Matchbox Twenty Soul
1424 Winwood, Steve Spanish Dancer
1425 Simon & Garfunkel Sparrow
1426 Police Spirits In The Material World
1427 Darin, Bobby Splish Splash
1428 Benson, George Stella By Starlight
1429 Joel, Billy Stiletto
1430 Seger, Bob Still The Same
1431 Shondells Sweet Cherry Wine
1432 Creedence Clearwater Revival Sweet Hitch-Hiker
1433 Berlin Take My Breath Away
1434 Roxy Music Tara
1435 Beat Tears of a Clown
1436 General Public Tenderness CR- lead vocalist from the Beat
1437 Simon & Garfunkel The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
1438 Harpers Bizarre The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
1439 Jackson, Michael; and Paul McCartney The Girl Is Mine
1440 Stevens, Cat The Hurt
1441 Jan & Dean The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)
1442 Browne, Jackson The Only Child
1443 Blink-182 The Party Song
1444 Sinatra, Frank The Way You Look Tonight
1445 Pretenders Thin Line Between Love And Hate
1446 Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose Treat Her Like a Lady
1447 O'Jays Use Ta Be My Girl
1448 Boston Used to Bad News
1449 Monkees Valleri
1450 Isley Brothers Voyage to Atlantis
1451 Chapin, Harry W*O*L*D*
1452 Wham! Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
1453 Lewis, Huey & The News Walking On A Thin Line
1454 Bon Jovi Wanted Dead or Alive
1455 Seals & Crofts We May Never Pass This Way (Again)
1456 Blind Faith Well...All Right
1457 Scaggs, Boz We're All Alone
1458 Utopia Wildlife
1459 Blondie Will Anything Happen
1460 Santana Winning
1461 Brooklyn Bridge Worst That Could Happen
1462 Police Wrapped Around Your Finger
1463 Lifehouse You and Me
1464 Striesand, Barbara You Don't Bring Me Flowers
1465 Browne, Jackson Your Bright Baby Blues
1466 Loggins & Messina Your Mama Don't Dance
1467 Taylor, James Your Smiling Face
1468 Moody Blues Your Wildest Dreams
1469 Temptations You're My Everything
1470 Queen Killer Queen
1471 Simon, Paul Mother and Child Reunion
1472 Fifth Dimension Up Up and Away
1473 Coldplay The Speed Of Sound
1474 Simon & Garfunkel A Hazy Shade Of Winter
1475 Clapton, Eric Change the World
1476 Procol Harum Conquistador
1477 Beatles Drive My Car
1478 Soul Survivors Expressway To Your Heart
1479 South, Joe Games People Play
1480 Beatles Golden Slumbers
1481 Led Zeppelin Good Times, Bad Times
1482 Beatles I Should Have Known Better
1483 Dylan, Bob It Ain't Me Babe
1484 Beatles Julia
1485 Raiders Kicks
1486 Creedence Clearwater Revival Looking Out My Back Door
1487 Supremes Love Child
1488 Madonna Lucky Star
1489 Bowie, David Modern Love
1490 Bee Gees Nights On Broadway
1491 Seger, Bob Old Time Rock And Roll
1492 Five Stairsteps O-o-h Child
1493 Springsteen, Bruce Prove It All Night
1494 Golden Earring Radar Love
1495 Pointer Sisters Slow Hand
1496 Beatles Taxman
1497 Warwick, Dionne And The Spinners Then Came You
1498 Commodores Three Times a Lady
1499 Kinks Tired of Waiting for You
1500 Gaye, Marvin & Tammi Terrell Your Precious Love
1501 Beatles You're Gonna Lose That Girl
1502 Pretenders Message Of Love
1503 Police Can't Stand Losing You
1504 Carey, Mariah Dreamlover
1505 Monkees Daydream Believer
1506 Madonna Open Your Heart
1507 Diamond, Neil Sweet Caroline
1508 Sade Smooth Operator
1509 Green Day Boulevard of Broken Dreams
1510 Green Day When I Come Around
1511 Four Seasons Rag Doll
1512 Big Star Thirteen
1513 R. Kelly I Believe I Can Fly
1514 Cars My Best Friend's Girl
1515 Fountains Of Wayne Stacy's Mom
1516 Cream White Room
1517 Rush Tom Sawyer
1518 Petty, Tom Breakdown
1519 Shirley & Lee Let The Good Times Roll
1520 Beatles Girl
1521 Richie, Lionel All Night Long
1522 Sinatra, Frank My Way
1523 Butler, Jerry Only The Strong Survive
1524 Rolling Stones Fool to Cry
1525 Idol, Billy White Wedding
1526 Beatles Nowhere Man
1527 Beatles Twist and Shout
1528 Scaggs, Boz Lowdown
1529 Public Image Ltd. This is Not a Love Song
1530 Aerosmith Sweet Emotion
1531 Impressions I'm So Proud
1532 Melvin, Harold And The Bluenotes The Love I Lost
1533 Green Day Basket Case
1534 Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On It
1535 Prince Let's Go Crazy
1536 Kinks All Day and All of the Night
1537 Conley, Arthur Sweet Soul Music
1538 Jackson 5 I'll Be There
1539 Dylan, Bob Idiot Wind
1540 Green Day American Idiot
1541 Cream Badge
1542 Rolling Stones Beast of Burden
1543 Beatles Here, There, and Everywhere
1544 Browne, Jackson Late For the Sky
1545 Grand Funk Railroad We're an American Band
1546 Franklin, Aretha Until You Come Back to Me
1547 Wings Live and Let Die
1548 Queen Another One Bites the Dust
1549 Holly, Buddy Everyday
1550 Cooke, Sam Cupid
1551 Cure Lovesong
1552 Average White Band Pick Up The Pieces
1553 Drake, Nick Pink Moon
1554 Drifters Under the Boardwalk
1555 Fifth Dimension Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In
1556 Four Tops I Can't Help Myself
1557 Dion The Wanderer
1558 Coldplay The Scientist
1559 Coldplay In My Place
1560 Moody Blues Nights in White Satin
1561 Animals Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
1562 Guns N' Roses Paradise City
1563 Greenbaum, Norman Spirit In The Sky
1564 Led Zeppelin No Quarter
1565 Nash, Johnny I Can See Clearly Now
1566 Bowie, David Golden Years
1567 Four Seasons Big Girls Don't Cry
1568 Cheap Trick I Want You To Want Me
1569 Modern English I Melt With You
1570 Pretenders Middle Of The Road
1571 Waite, John Missing You
1572 Rolling Stones Get Off My Cloud
1573 Arcade Fire Keep the Car Running
1574 Grateful Dead Uncle John's Band
1575 Beatles I Saw Her Standing There
1576 Stevens, Sufjan John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
1577 Rolling Stones 19th Nervous Breakdown
1578 Simon & Garfunkel America
1579 Peter, Paul and Mary Blowin' in the Wind
1580 Berry, Chuck Rock & Roll Music
1581 Who Substitute
1582 Gershwin, George Rhapsody in Blue
1583 Big Bopper Chantilly Lace
1584 Drifters On Broadway
1585 Bowie, David Rebel Rebel
1586 Dylan, Bob Mr. Tambourine Man
1587 Champs Tequila
1588 U2 Beautiful Day
1589 Knack My Sharona
1590 Drifters Up on the Roof
1591 Beach Boys In My Room
1592 Nilsson Without You
1593 Four Tops Baby, I Need Your Loving
1594 Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody
1595 Pearl Jam Alive
1596 Dylan, Bob The Times They Are A-Changin'
1597 Radiohead Pyramid Song
1598 Smashing Pumpkins Today
1599 Santana Black Magic Woman
1600 Usher Yeah!
1601 Harrison, George My Sweet Lord
1602 Black Sabbath Iron Man
1603 Crow, Sheryl All I Wanna Do
1604 James, Rick Super Freak
1605 Chiffons He's So Fine
1606 Left Banke Walk Away Renee
1607 Lauper, Cyndi Time After Time
1608 Crowded House Don't Dream It's Over
1609 New Radicals You Get What You Give
1610 Berry, Chuck Roll Over Beethoven
1611 Guns N' Roses Welcome To The Jungle
1612 Go-Go's Our Lips are Sealed
1613 Culture Club Do You Really Want To Hurt Me
1614 James, Etta At Last
1615 Led Zeppelin Dazed and Confused
1616 Nirvana All Apologies
1617 Bowie, David Young Americans
1618 Gentry, Bobbie Ode To Billie Joe
1619 Lauper, Cyndi Girls Just Want To Have Fun
1620 Smashing Pumpkins 1979
1621 Cooper, Alice School's Out
1622 Garland, Judy Over the Rainbow
1623 Sly & The Family Stone Everyday People
1624 Green, Al Tired Of Being Alone
1625 Beatles Eleanor Rigby
1626 Charles, Ray Georgia on My Mind
1627 Cure Just Like Heaven
1628 Platters The Great Pretender
1629 Starr, Edwin War
1630 Dylan, Bob Blowin' in the Wind
1631 Metallica Enter Sandman
1632 Outkast Ms. Jackson
1633 Flamingos I Only Have Eyes for You
1634 Jefferson Airplane White Rabbit
1635 Who I Can't Explain
1636 LCD Soundsystem All My Friends
1637 Presley, Elvis Jailhouse Rock
1638 Campbell, Glen Wichita Lineman
1639 Madonna Like a Virgin
1640 Troggs Wild Thing
1641 Impressions People Get Ready
1642 Byrds Eight Miles High
1643 Shirelles Will You Love Me Tomorrow
1644 Holly, Buddy Peggy Sue
1645 AC/DC Back In Black
1646 Marley, Bob No Woman, No Cry
1647 King, Ben E. Stand By Me
1648 Presley, Elvis Heartbreak Hotel
1649 Benson, George Breezin'
1650 Dylan, Bob Lay Lady Lay
1651 Funkadelic Maggot Brain
1652 Mayfield, Curtis Right On for the Darkness
1653 Sanders, Pharaoh The Creator Has a Master Plan

1654 Yes Close to the Edge
CR-First 14 minutes are not that great - a bit slow and plodding at times

1655 Zino Francescatti Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto In D, Op. 35 - 2. Canzonetta: Andante
1656 Alvaro Cassuto Vivaldi: Violin Concerto In F Minor, Op. 8/4, RV 297, "The Four Seasons (Winter)" - 1. Allegro Non Molto
1658 Alvaro Cassuto Vivaldi: Violin Concerto In F, Op. 8/3, RV 293, "The Four Seasons (Autumn)" - 3. Allegro

1657 Who Pure and Easy
CR
1659 Garland, Judy Somewhere Over the Rainbow
1660 Armatrading, Joan (I Love It When You) Call Me Names
1661 Chicago (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
1662 Blue Magoos (We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet
1663 King, Carole (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
1664 Estefan, Gloria 1-2-3
1665 Rundgren, Todd A Long Time, A Long Way To Go
1666 Costello, Elvis Accidents Will Happen
1667 Hollies Air That I Breathe
1668 Sister Hazel All For You
1669 Taylor, James Anywhere Like Heaven
1670 Simon & Garfunkel At the Zoo
1671 Winter, Edgar Autumn
1672 Springsteen, Bruce Backstreets
1673 Springsteen, Bruce Badlands
1674 Wonder, Stevie Big Brother
1675 Goo Goo Dolls Big Machine
1676 Rundgren, Todd Birthday Carol
1677 King, Carole Bitter With the Sweet
1678 Stevens, Cat Bitterblue
1679 Rundgren, Todd Black Maria
1680 Beatles Blackbird
1681 Ronstadt, Linda Blue Bayou
1682 Clapton, Eric Blues Power
1683 Caillat, Colbie Bubbly
1684 Jethro Tull Bungle in the Jungle
1685 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Carry On
1686 Oasis Cast No Shadow
1687 Simon & Garfunkel Cecilia
1688 Rundgren, Todd Change Myself
1689 Steely Dan Change Of The Guard
1690 Madonna Cherish
1691 Bowie, David China Girl
1692 Rundgren, Todd Cliché
1693 Rundgren, Todd Cold Morning Light
1694 Simply Red Come to My Aid
1695 Morrison, Van Crazy Love
1696 Jethro Tull Cross-Eyed Mary
1697 King Harvest Dancing in the Moonlight
1698 Return to Forever Dayride
1699 Rundgren, Todd Determination
1700 Electric Light Orchestra Do Ya
1701 Stewart, Rod Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?
1702 Rundgren, Todd Does Anybody Love You?
1703 Electric Light Orchestra Don't Bring Me Down
1704 Rundgren, Todd Don't Hurt Yourself
1705 Young, Neil Don't Let It Bring You Down
1706 Queen Don't Stop Me Now
1707 Return to Forever Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant Part I & II
1708 Pink Floyd Echoes
1709 Traffic Empty Pages CR- more Winwood vocal mastery
1710 Steely Dan Gaucho
1711 Cars Good Times Roll
1712 John, Elton Harmony
1713 Rundgren, Todd Hawking
1714 Rundgren, Todd Healing Part III
1715 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Helplessly Hoping
1716 Petty, Tom Here Comes My Girl

1717 Derek & The Dominos I Looked Away
CR- if you like Clapton - check it out
1718 Rundgren, Todd I Think You Know
1719 Beatles If I Fell
1720 Wilco Impossible Germany
1721 Who Is It In My Head?
1722 Wonder, Stevie It Ain't No Use
1723 Beatles I've Got a Feeling
1724 Steely Dan Josie
1725 Derek & The Dominos Keep On Growing
1726 Derek & The Dominos Little Wing
1727 Jackson, Joe Look Sharp!
1728 Cardigans Lovefool
1729 Rundgren, Todd Lucky Guy
1730 Oasis Morning Glory
1731 Lavigne, Avril My Happy Ending
1732 R.E.M. Near Wild Heaven
1733 Wings Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
1734 Nirvana On A Plain
1735 Jackson, Joe On Your Radio
1736 Wonder, Stevie Ordinary Pain
1737 Wonder, Stevie Please Don't Go
1738 Steely Dan Pretzel Logic
1739 Clapton, Eric Promises
1740 Mayfield, Curtis Pusherman
1741 Idol, Billy Rebel Yell CR-new wave
1742 Rundgren, Todd Saving Grace
1743 ZZ Top Sharp Dressed Man
1744 Oasis She's Electric
1745 Jethro Tull Skating Away on the Thin Ice of New Day

1746 New Radicals Someday We'll Know
CR-but not that old
1747 Simon & Garfunkel Somewhere They Can't Find Me

1748 Yes South Side Of The Sky
CR-from the Fragile album
1749 Marley, Bob Stir It Up
1750 Wonder, Stevie Summer Soft
1751 Roxy Music Take A Chance With Me
1752 Chapman, Tracy Talkin' Bout A Revolution
1753 Four Seasons Tell It To The Rain
1754 Springsteen, Bruce Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
1755 Who The Dirty Jobs
1756 Beatles The End
1757 Bowie, David The Jean Genie
1758 Who The Seeker
1759 Rundgren, Todd The Want of a Nail
1760 Wonder, Stevie Too Shy to Say
1761 Rundgren, Todd Useless Begging
1762 Rundgren, Todd Wailing Wall
1763 Rolling Stones Waiting On A Friend
1764 Beach Boys Warmth of the Sun
1765 Morrison, Van Wavelength
1766 Green Day Welcome To Paradise
1767 Lennon, John Whatever Gets You Through The Night
1768 Beat What's Your Best Thing?
1769 Rundgren, Todd When The Shit Hits The Fan-Sunset Blvd.
1770 Roxy Music While My Heart Is Still Beating
1771 Jethro Tull Wond'ring Aloud
1772 Wonder, Stevie You Haven't Done Nothin
1773 Mayer, John Your Body is Wonderland
1774 Rascals A Girl Like You
1775 Erasure A Little Respect
1776 Hamilton, Scott A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square
1777 Cole, Nat King A Trio Grooves In Brooklyn
1778 Toto Africa

1779 Mason, Dave All Along The Watchtower
CR- a seldom heard version
1780 LCD Soundsystem All I Want
1781 Carey, Mariah All I Want for Christmas Is You
1782 Beatles All I've Got To Do
1783 Ronstadt, Linda All That You Dream
1784 Rundgren, Todd All The Children Sing
1785 Lauper, Cyndi All Through The Night
1786 Genesis Alone Tonight
1787 Brecker, Michael Angle of Repose Jazz
1788 Jay & The Techniques Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie
1789 Cutting Crew Arms
1790 Rolling Stones As Tears Go By CR- kind of a ballad from Mick
1791 Satriani, Joe Asik Veysel

1792 California Guitar Trio Atlantis
Jazz
1793 Foo Fighters Aurora
1794 Player Baby Come Back
1795 Money, Eddie Baby Hold On
1796 Beatles Baby You're A Rich Man
1797 Chicago Baby, What A Big Surprise
1798 Heart Barracuda
1799 King, Carole Been to Canaan
1800 Underwood, Carrie Before He Cheats
1801 Santana Bella
1802 Young, Neil Birds
1803 Three Dog Night Black And White
1804 Los Bravos Black is Back
1805 Costello, Elvis Blame It On Cain
1806 Rundgren, Todd Bleeding
1807 Taylor, James Blossom
1808 Arcade Fire Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
1809 Fleetwood Mac Blue Letter
1810 Who Blue Red and Grey

1811 Coltrane, John Blue Train
Jazz

1812 Brubeck, Dave Blues for Newport
Jazz

1813 Coltrane, John Body and Soul
Jazz
1814 Monotones Book of Love
1815 Goodman, Benny Breakfast Feud

1816 Brecker, Michael Brexterity Jazz
1817 Cars Bye Bye Love
1818 Third Eye Blind Camouflage
1819 John, Elton Can You Feel The Love Tonight
1820 REO Speedwagon Can't Fight This Feeling
1821 Electric Light Orchestra Can't Get It Out of My Head
1822 Marshall Tucker Band Can't You See
1823 Hagar, Sammy The Girl Gets Around
1824 Taylor, James Carolina In My Mind
1825 Grateful Dead Casey Jones
1826 Hendrix, Jimi Changes
1827 Stevens, Cat Changes IV
1828 Marsalis, Wynton Cherokee
1829 Diamond, Neil Cherry, Cherry
1830 Blue Oyster Cult Cities On Flame With Rock and Roll
1831 Simon & Garfunkel Cloudy
1832 Satriani, Joe Come On Baby
1833 Cranberries Copycat
1834 Jefferson Starship Count On Me
1835 Mamas & the Papas Creeque Alley
1836 Beatles Cry Baby Cry
1837 Browne, Jackson Daddy's Tune
1838 America Daisy Jane
1839 Van Halen Dancing In The Street
1840 Third Eye Blind Darkness
1841 Lovin' Spoonful Daydream
1842 Beck, Jeff Diamond Dust
1843 Lovin' Spoonful Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind
1844 Contours Do You Love Me
1845 Beatles Don't Bother Me
1846 Ellington, Duke Don't Get Around Much Anymore
1847 Alvin, Dave Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
1848 Collins, Phil Don't Lose My Number
1849 Marvelettes Don't Mess With Bill
1850 Joplin, Janis Down On Me
1851 Heart Dreamboat Annie (Reprise)
1852 Armatrading, Joan Drop The Pilot
1853 Who Drowned
1854 Led Zeppelin D'yer Mak'er
1855 Red Hot Chili Peppers Easily
1856 Seals & Crofts East of Ginger Trees
1857 Three Dog Night Easy To Be Hard
1858 Song, Samantha Emotion
1859 Traveling Wilburys End of the Line
1860 Foo Fighters End Over End
1861 Jones, Howard Equility
1862 Carlton, Carl Everlasting Love
1863 Steward, Rod Every Picture Tells a Story
1864 Coltrane, John Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
1865 Who Eyesight To The Blind
1866 Rundgren, Todd Fade Away
1867 Blondie Fade Away And Radiate
1868 Rundgren, Todd Fair Warning
1869 Journey Faithfully
1870 Caillat, Colbie Fallin' for You
1871 Bee Gees Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)
1872 Third Eye Blind Farther
1873 Michael, George Father Figure
1874 Rundgren, Todd Feel It
1875 Magione, Chuck Feels So Good
1876 Adderley, Cannonball Fiddler On The Roof
1877 Sting Fields of Gold
1878 Isley Brothers Fight The Power (Part 1 & 2)
1879 Pointer Sisters Fire
1880 Marshall Tucker Band Fire on the Mountain
1881 Genesis Firth of Fifth
1882 Brecker, Michael Five Months From Midnight
1883 Beatles Fixing a Hole
1884 Davis, Miles Flamenco Sketches
1885 Rundgren, Todd Flamingo
1886 Simon and Garfunkel Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall
1887 Jackson, Joe Fools In Love
1888 Browne, Jackson For A Dancer
1889 Carpenters For All We Know
1890 Chapman, Tracy For My Lover
1891 Vai, Steve For the Love of God
1892 Wham! Freedom
1893 Utopia Freedom Fighters
1894 Laws, Ronnie Friends and Strangers Jazz
1895 Parsons, Alan - Project Games People Play
1896 Collective Soul Gel
1897 Seekers Georgy Girl
1898 Silhouettes Get A Job
1899 Genesis Get 'em out by Friday
1900 Wonder, Stevie Girl Blue
1901 James, Rick Give It To Me Baby
1902 Estefan, Gloria Give It Up
1903 Chapman, Tracy Give Me One Reason
1904 Steely Dan Glamour Profession
1905 Young, Neil Goin' Back
1906 Led Zeppelin Going To California
1907 Beatles Good Night
1908 Pink Floyd Goodbye Blue Sky
1909 Jackson, Michael Got To Be There
1910 Fall Out Boy Grand Theft Autumn/where is your boy tonight
1911 Friends Of Distinction Grazing In The Grass
1912 Fagen, Donald Green Flower Street
1913 Genesis Hairless Heart
1914 Brecker, Michael Half Moon Lane Jazz
1915 Mayer, John Half of My Heart
1916 Guess Who Hand Me Down World CR- Canadians strike again
1917 Stewart, Rod Handbags & Gladrags
1918 Scaggs, Boz Harbor Lights
1919 Chicago Hard Habit to Break
1920 Stevens, Cat hard Headed Woman
1921 Morrison, Van Have I Told You Lately
1922 John, Elton Have Mercy On the Criminal

1923 Weather Report Havona
Jazz
1924 Ventures Hawaii Five-O
1925 Traveling Wilburys Heading For Light
1926 Style Council Headstart for Happiness
1927 Rundgren, Todd Healing Part II
1928 Fogelberg, Dan Heart Hotels
1929 Simply Red Heaven
1930 Taylor, James Her Town Too
1931 3 Doors Down Here Without You
1932 Creedence Clearwater Revival Hey Tonight
1933 Foo Fighters Hey, Johnny Park!
1934 Wings Hi Hi Hi
1935 John, Elton High Flying Bird
1936 Coolidge, Rita Higher and Higher
1937 Jackson, Joe Hit Single
1938 Phillips, Wilson Hold On
1939 .38 Special Hold On Loosely
1940 Tyler, Bonnie Holding Out For A Hero
1941 LCD Soundsystem Home
1942 Jackson, Joe Home Town
1943 Ben Folds Five Hospital Song
1944 Bee Gees How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
1945 Taylor, James How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
1946 Who However Much I Booze
1947 Barenaked Ladies Humor of the Situation
1948 Carmen, Eric Hungry Eyes
1949 Duran Duran Hungry Like the Wolf
1950 Donovan Hurdy Gurdy Man
1951 Deep Purple Hush
1952 Buffalo Springfield I Am A Child
1953 LCD Soundsystem I Can Change
1954 Turner, Tina I Don't Wanna Fight
1955 Foreigner I Don't Want to Live Without You
1956 Rundgren, Todd I Don't Want To Tie You Down
1957 Croce, Jim I Got A Name
1958 Madonna I Know It
1959 Grateful Dead I Know You Rider
1960 Beatles I Me Mine
1961 Warwick, Dionne I Say A Little Prayer
1962 Carey, Mariah I Still Believe
1963 All-4-One I Swear
1964 Coltrane, John I Want To Talk About You
1965 McLachlan, Sarah I Will Remember You
1966 Elliman, Yvonne If I Can't Have You
1967 Chapman, Tracy If Not Now
1968 Seals & Crofts I'll Play For You
1969 Genesis Illegal Alien
1970 Beatles I'm Happy just To Dance With You

1971 Carolina Liar I'm Not Over
CR-from the movie What Happens In Vegas
1972 Fine Young Cannibals I'm Not Satisfied
1973 Cream I'm So Glad
1974 Pink Floyd In the Flesh
1975 Zager & Evans In the Year 2525
1976 John, Elton Indian Sunset
1977 Petty, Tom Into The Great Wide Open

1978 Rundgren, Todd Is It My Name?
CR- a rocker from the AWATS album
1979 Squeeze Is That Love
1980 Harrison, George Isn't It A Pity
1981 Moody Blues Isn't Life Strange
1982 Wonder, Stevie Isn't She Lovely
1983 Beatles You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
1984 Sytle Council It Didn't Matter
1985 Doobie Brothers It Keeps On Runnin'

1986 Davis, Miles It Never Entered My Mind
Jazz
1987 Rundgren, Todd It Takes Two To Tango
1988 No Doubt It's My Life
1989 Gore, Leslie It's My Party
1990 Cole, Nat King It's Only A Paper Moon
1991 Beatles It's Only Life
1992 Blake, Eubie; Jimmy Blythe It's Right Here For You
1993 Joel, Billy I've Loved These Days
1994 Armstrong, Louis Jack-Armstrong Blues

1995 Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
CR- give it a try if you liked the vocals in "The Boys Are Back In Town"
1996 Crobsy, Stills & Nash Just A Song Before I Go
1997 Houston, Whitney Just the Lonely Talking

1998 Washington Jr., Grover & Bill Withers Just the Two of Us
Soul
1999 Buckinghams Kind Of A Drag
2000 Buffalo Springfield Kind Woman
2001 Police King Of Pain
2002 Exile Kiss You All Over
2003 Dire Straits Lady Writer
2004 Summer, Donna Last Dance
2005 Wilson, J. Frank & the Cavaliers Last Kiss
2006 Simon & Garfunkel Last Night I Had the Strangest Dreams
2007 Utopia Last of the New Wave Riders
2008 Clapton, Eric Layla-unplugged

2009 Coltrane, John Lazy Bird
Jazz
2010 Joel, Billy Leningrad
2011 Allman Brothers Les Brers In A Minor
2012 Bachman Turner Overdrive Let It Ride
2013 Rolling Stones Let It Bleed
2014 Seger, Bob Like a Rock
2015 Fleetwood Mac Little Lies

2016 Allman Brothers Band Little Martha
CR-Tasty short acoustic instrumental
2017 Taylor, James Lo And Behold

2018 Coltrane, John Locomotion
Jazz
2019 Ronstadt, Linda Long Long Time
2020 Third Eye Blind Losing A Whole Year

2021 Who Love Ain't for Keeping
CR-another strong song from the Who's Next album
2022 Mercy Love Can Make You Happy
2023 Paris Sisters Love How You Love Me
2024 Simon, Paul Love Me Like A Rock
2025 Scaggs, Boz Love Me Tomorrow
2026 Browne, Jackson Love Needs a Heart
2027 Santana Love of my life
2028 Moments Love On A Two Way Street

2029 Lil Jon & The East Side Boys Lovers and Friends
Hip-hop - not my favorite genre, but this song works for me.
2030 Foo Fighters M. I. A.
2031 Matchbox Twenty Mad Season

2032 Bailey, Jeff Make Believe Waltz
Jazz
2033 Fogelberg, Dan Make Love Stay
2034 Sembello, Michael Maniac
2035 Wonder, Stevie Masterblaster (Jammin')
2036 Mangione, Chuck Maui-Waui
2037 Fagen, Donald Maxine
2038 Ferry, Bryan Me Oh My
2039 Beatles Mean Mr. Mustard
2040 Rundgren, Todd Medley-I'm So Proud, Ooh Baby Baby, La La Means I Love You, Cool Jerk

2041 California Guitar Trio Mee-Woo
Jazz
2042 Joel, Billy Miami 2017
2043 Spinners Mighty Love
2044 Lennon, John Mind Games
2045 Fogelberg, Dan Missing You

2046 Mountain Mississippi Queen
CR-Leslie West rocks on this song
2047 Stevens, Cat Moonshadow
2048 Springsteen, Bruce My Hometown
2049 Foo Fighters My Poor Brain
2050 Baker, Anita Mystery
2051 Pretenders Mystery Achievement
2052 Ocean, Billy Mystery Lady
2053 Doobie Brothers Natural Thing
2054 Cross, Christopher Never Be The Same
2055 Jackson 5 Never Can Say Goodbye
2056 Cooper, Alice No More Mr. Nice Guy
2057 Human Beinz Nobody But Me
2058 Lennon, John Nobody Told Me
2059 Beatles Not A Second Time
2060 Jackson, Joe Not Here, Not Now
2061 Raitt, Bonnie Not The Only One
2062 Heart Nothin' At All
2063 Starship Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
2064 Buffalo Springfield Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
2065 Chicago Old Days
2066 Badu, Erykah On & On
2067 Hornsby, Bruce On The Western Skyline
2068 Fifth Dimension One Less Bell To Answer
2069 Michael, George One More Try
2070 Hall & Oates One On One
2071 Bailey, Jeff Open Road
2072 Journey Opened the Door

2073 Carlton, Larry Oui Oui Si
Jazz
2074 Romantics Our Day Will Come
2075 Satriani, Joe Out Of The Sunrise
2076 Guns and Roses Out Ta Get Me
2077 Simon & Garfunkel Overs
2078 Jackson, Michael P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

2079 Weather Report Palladium
Jazz
2080 Fogelberg, Dan Part of the Plan
2081 Wonder, Stevie Pastime Paradise
2082 Croce, Jim Photographs & Memories
2083 Madonna Physical Attraction
2084 Brecker, Michael Pilgrimage
2085 Queen Play The Game
2086 Utopia Play This Game
2087 Loggins, Dave Please Come To Boston
2088 Kansas Point of Know Return
2089 Ronstadt, Linda Poor Poor Pitiful Me
2090 Eagles Pretty Maids All In A Row
2091 Benatar, Pat Promises in the Dark
2092 Naked Eyes Promises, Promises
2093 DeShannon, Jackie Put A Little Love In Your Heart
2094 Bailey, Jeff Que Pasa Bossa
2095 Traffic Rainmaker
2096 Dylan, Bob Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
2097 Mitchell, Joni Raised On Robbery
2098 Fugees Ready or Not
2099 Blue Oyster Cult Redeemed
2100 Rundgren, Todd Remember Me
2101 Collective Soul Reunion
2102 Estefan, Gloria Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
2103 Simon & Garfunkel Richard Cory
2104 Moody Blues Ride My See-Saw
2105 Van Halen Right Now
2106 Warnes, Jennifer Right Time of the Night
2107 Buffalo Springfield Rock and Roll Woman
2108 Miller, Steve Rock 'n Me
2109 Bad Company Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy
2110 Guns N' Roses Rocket Queen
2111 Doobie Brothers Rockin' Down the Highway
2112 Seger, Bob Roll Me Away
2113 Browne, Jackson Rosie
2114 Fagen, Donald Ruby Baby
2115 Pink Floyd Run Like Hell
2116 Bee Gees Run To Me
2117 Blues Traveler Run_around
2118 Petty, Tom Runnin Down A Dream
2119 Eagles Sad Café
2120 John, Elton Salvation
2121 Fleetwood Mac Sara
2122 Four Seasons Save It For Me
2123 Beatles Savoy Truffle
2124 Foreigner Say You Will
2125 Fleetwood Mac Second Hand News
2126 Utopia Second Nature
2127 Wonder, Stevie Seems So Long
2128 Journey Send Her My Love
2129 Utopia Set Me Free
2130 Joel, Billy Shameless
2131 Johnny Hates Jazz Shattered Dreams
2132 Beck, Jeff She's A Woman
2133 Electric Light Orchestra Showdown

2134 Rundgren, Todd Sidewalk Café
CR-might be interesting to some because of the synths
2135 Barnet, Charlie Skyliner
2136 Browne, Jackson Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate
2137 Uncle Kracker Smile
2138 Houston, Whitney So Emotional
2139 Dire Straits So Far Away
2140 Mason, Dave So High
2141 John, Elton Social Disease
2142 Rundgren, Todd Some Folks Is Even Whiter Than Me
2143 Underwood, Carrie Some Hearts
2144 Pink Floyd Sorrow

2145 Coltrane, John Spiral
Jazz
2146 Coltrane, John Spiritual
2147 Joel, Billy State of Grace
2148 Allman Brothers Statesboro Blues
2149 Mayall, John Steppin' Out
2150 Commodores Still

2151 Rundgren, Todd Stood Up
CR-recent Todd offering that is worth a listen
2152 Allman Brothers Stormy Monday

2153 Davis, Miles Straight, No Chaser
Jazz
2154 Cream Strange Brew
2155 Radiohead Street Spirit (Fade Out)
2156 McLachlan, Sarah Stupid
2157 Motels Suddenly Last Summer
2158 Beatles Sun King
2159 U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday (studio)
2160 Weller, Paul Sunflower
2161 Hebb, Bobby Sunny
2162 Taylor, James Sunny Skies
2163 Genesis Supper's Ready
2164 Creedence Clearwater Revival Susie Q
2165 King, Carole Sweet Seasons
2166 Chiffons Sweet Talkin' Guy
2167 Miller, Steve Swingtown
2168 REO Speedwagon Take It On the Run

2169 Hancock, Herbie Tell A Bedtime Story
Jazz
2170 Zombies Tell Her No
2171 Spice Girls Tell Me What You Want

2172 Rundgren, Todd Temporary Sanity
CR-not so recent but provides an interesting skeptical view
2173 Benson, George Tenderly
2174 Twain, Shania That Don't Impress Me Much
2175 Foreigner That Was Yesterday
2176 Harrison, George The Art of Dying
2177 Styx The Best of Times
2178 Simon & Garfunkel The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine
2179 Ad Libs The Boy from New York City
2180 Ocean, Billy The Colour Of Love
2181 Adderley, Cannonball The End Of A Love Affair

2182 Dolby, Thomas The Flat Earth
CR-New wave- another skeptical view - merits a listen in my view

2183 Return To Forever The Game Maker
Jazz
2184 Fagen, Donald The Goodbye Look
2185 Fry, Glenn The Heat Is On

2186 Adderley, Cannonball The Jive Samba (Live)
Jazz
2187 Jackson, Michael The Lady In My Life

2188 Mike & The Mechanics The Living Years
CR-sentimental song
2189 California Guitar Trio The Marsh

2190 Brecker, Michael The Mean Time
Jazz
2191 Led Zeppelin The Ocean
2192 Bailey, Jeff The Only One For Me

2193 Rundgren, Todd The Range War
CR- a good one from the Ballad album

2194 Return To Forever The Romantic Warrior
Jazz
2195 Steely Dan The Royal Scam

2196 Hancock, Herbie The Sorcerer
Jazz
2197 Matthews, Dave The Space Between
2198 Arcade Fire The Suburbs
2199 Sade The Sweetest Taboo

2200 Red Hot Chili Peppers The Velvet Glove
CR-may not be as over-played as some RHCP songs
2201 Jackson, Joe The Verdict
2202 Moody Blues The Voice
2203 Streisand, Barbra The Way We Were
2204 Stevens, Cat The Wind
2205 Beatles The Word
2206 Ocean, Billy There'll Be Sad Songs
2207 Spinners They Just Can't Stop It (Games People Play)
2208 Jones, Howard Things Can Only Get Better
2209 Beatles Think For Yourself

2210 Smashing Pumpkins Thirty-Three
CR?
2211 Lewis, Gary & The Playboys This Diamond Ring
2212 Thomas, Rob This Is How A Heart Breaks
2213 Jay & The Americans This Magic Moment
2214 Isley Brothers This Old Heart of Mine
2215 Electric Light Orchestra Tightrope
2216 Young, Neil Till The Morning Comes

2217 Rolling Stones Time Is On My Side
CR-my guess is that many of you have heard this already, but if not give it a try
2218 Brubeck, Dave Time Out
2219 Outsiders Time Won't Let Me
2220 Rundgren, Todd Tiny Demons
2221 Savage Garden To the Moon and Back
2222 Who Tommy Can You Hear Me
2223 Lennon, John Too Late For Goodbyes
2224 Bee Gees Tragedy
2225 Madonna True Blue
2226 Police Truth Hits Everybody
2227 Doobie Brothers Ukiah

2228 Cole, Nat King Unforgettable
pre-rock classic

2229 Rundgren, Todd Unloved Children
CR-another good one from Todd
2230 Foo Fighters Up In Arms

2231 Return To Forever Vulcan Worlds
Jazz

2232 Mayer, John Waiting On The World Change
CR-stop waiting and start changing :-)

2233 Fagen, Donald Walk Between the Raindrops
CR-Fagan in one of his lighter moments
2234 Dire Straits Walk Of Life

2235 Lennox, Annie Walking On Broken Glass
CR-great vocals - my guess is that Moonbeam might approve
2236 Style Council Walking The Night
2237 Allman Brothers Band Wasted Words CR-another skeptical view
2238 Baker, Anita Watch Your Step
2239 Benatar, Pat We Belong
2240 Joel, Billy We Didn't Start The Fire
2241 Simon & Garfunkel We've Got A Groovey Thing Goin'
2242 Scaggs, Boz What Can I Say
2243 Scaggs, Boz What Do You Want the Girl To Do?
2244 Morissette, Alanis What If God Was One Of Us
2245 Cranberries What's On My Mind
2246 Brecker, Michael When Can I Kiss You Again?
2247 Cole, Natalie and Nat King When I Fall In Love
2248 Sayer, Leo When I Need You
2249 3 Doors Down When I'm Gone
2250 Van Halen When It's Love
2251 Young, Neil When You Dance You Can Really Move

2252 Carlton, Larry Where Be Mosada
Jazz
2253 Stevens, Cat Where Do The Children Play?

2254 Collective Soul Where The River Flows
CR
2255 Ronstadt, Linda White Rhythm & Blues

2256 Weller, Paul Wild Wood
CR
2257 Skylark Wildflower
2258 Journey Winds Of March
2259 Doobie Brothers Without You

2260 McLachlan, Sarah Witness
CR
2261 Lennon, John Woman
2262 America Woman Tonight
2263 Estefan, Gloria Words Get In The Way
2264 Jackson, Michael Workin' Day and Night
2265 Four Seasons Working My Way Back to You
2266 Third Eye Blind Wounded
2267 Creedence Clearwater Revival Wrote A Song For Everyone

2268 Brubeck, Dave Yesterdays
Jazz
2269 Jackson, Michael You Are Not Alone
2270 Wells, Mary You Beat Me To the Punch
2271 Cher You Better Sit Down Kids
2272 Croce, Jim You Don't Mess Around With Jim
2273 Browne, Jackson You Love the Thunder
2274 Koz, Dave You Make Me Smile
2275 Cars You Might Think
2276 Jones, Joe You Talk Too Much

2277 Prefab Sprout Moon Dog
CR-I have just started enjoying PS in the last few years.
2278 King, Carole Tapestry
2279 Bonnie Raitt Matters of the Heart (Live)
2280 Berry, Chuck School Days
2281 Turner, Ike and Tina Proud Mary

2282 Oldfield, Mike Tubulur Bells
CR-long and a bit bloated - but not the same music you hear everyday
2283 Who Who Are You?

2284 Thomas, B.J. Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
CR-from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
2285 Orbison, Roy It's Over
2286 Taylor, James Handy Man
2287 Miller, Steve Take the Money and Run
2288 Rolling Stones Heart of Stone
2289 Beau Brummels Laugh Laugh
2290 Coasters Charlie Brown
2291 Peaches and Herb Reunited
2292 Garner, Erroll Misty
2293 Armstrong, Louis Hello Dolly
2294 Domino, Fats I'm Walkin'
2295 Benson, George Masquerade
2296 Dion, Celine My Heart Will Go On
2297 Earth Wind & Fire After the Love Has Gone
2298 Fairport Convention Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
2299 Guthrie, Arlo Alice's Restaurant
2300 Temptations Cloud Nine
2301 Getz, Stan & Charlie Byrd Desafinado
2302 Frampton, Peter Do You Feel Like We Do
2303 Little Anthony and The Imperials Goin' out of My Head
2304 Mayall, John Have You Heard
2305 Mamas and the Papas I Saw Her Again Last Night
2306 Bee Gees I Started a Joke
2307 Sam & Dave I Thank You
2308 Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark If You Leave
2309 Christie, Lou I'm Gonna Make You Mine
2310 Stevens, Sufjan Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
2311 Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song
2312 U2 Kite
2313 Madonna La Isla Bonita
2314 Aerosmith Last Child
2315 Stills, Stephen Love the One You're With
2316 Riperton, Minnie Lovin' You
2317 Miracles Mickey's Monkey
2318 Dylan, Bob Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine
2319 Counting Crows Mr. Jones
2320 Wonder, Stevie My Cherie Amour
2321 Pretenders My City Was Gone
2322 Knight, Gladys and The Pips Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First)
2323 Association Never My Love
2324 Keys, Alicia No One
2325 Simon, Carly Nobody Does It Better
2326 Metallica Nothing Else Matters
2327 Summer, Donna On the Radio
2328 Carey, Mariah & Boyz II Men One Sweet Day
2329 Streisand, Barbra People
2330 Stray Cats Rock This Town
2331 Beatles Run for Your Life
2332 Earth, Wind & Fire September
2333 Beatles Sexie Sadie
2334 Rolling Stones Shattered
2335 Dylan, Bob Shelter From The Storm
2336 Frampton, Peter Show Me The Way
2337 Talking Heads Stay Up Late
2338 Kinks Stop Your Sobbing
2339 Beach Boys Surfin' Safari
2340 Fleetwood Mac The Chain
2341 Genesis The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
2342 Springfield, Dusty The Look of Love
2343 Lewis, Huey and The News The Power of Love
2344 Spinners The Rubberband Man
2345 Persuaders Thin Line Between Love and Hate
2346 Booker T. & The MG's Time Is Tight
2347 Lulu To Sir With Love
2348 Cooke, Sam Twistin' the Night Away
2349 Fifth Dimension Wedding Bell Blues
2350 Smiths William, It Was Really Nothing
2351 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Woodstock
2352 Bee Gees You Should Be Dancing
2353 The Sundays Here's Where the Story Ends
2354 Mellencamp, John Cougar Small Town
2355 Pet Shop Boys What Have I Done to Deserve This
2356 White, Barry Can't Get Enough of Your Love
2357 King, Carole Home Again
2358 Talking Heads And She Was
2359 Simon, Paul Kodachrome
2360 Steely Dan Deacon Blues
2361 Culture Club Time (Clock Of The Heart)
2362 Monkees Pleasant Valley Sunday
2363 Creedence Clearwater Revival Travelin Band
2364 Katrina & The Waves Walking On Sunshine
2365 Darin, Bobby Dream Lover
2366 Lowe, Nick Cruel to be Kind
2367 Chairmen of the Board Give Me Just a Little More Time
2368 Rafferty, Gerry Baker Street
2369 Temptations Get Ready
2370 k.d. Lang - Constant Craving
2371 Wonder, Stevie Boogie On Reggae Woman
2372 Shondells Hanky Panky
2373 Culture Club Karma Chameleon
2374 Blondie Dreaming
2375 Van Halen Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
2376 Creedence Clearwater Revival Born on the Bayou
2377 Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2378 Gaye, Marvin Got to Give It Up, Part 1
2379 Knickerbockers Lies
2380 Harris, Richard Macarthur Park
2381 Ross, Diane Upside Down
2382 Aguilera, Christina Beautiful
2383 Semisonic Closing Time
2384 Cash, Johnny A Boy Named Sue
2385 Rolling Stones Happy
2386 Stereolab Ping Pong
2387 Gaye, Marvin Can I Get a Witness
2388 Madonna Live To Tell
2389 Stewart, Rod You Wear it Well
2390 Madonna Crazy For You
2391 Killers Somebody Told Me
2392 Green Day Good Riddance
2393 Berry, Chuck No Particular Place to Go
2394 Springsteen, Bruce Hungry Heart
2395 Donovan Sunshine Superman
2396 Bee Gees To Love Somebody
2397 ZZ Top La Grange
2398 Arctic Monkeys A Certain Romance
2399 DeShannon, Jackie What The World Needs Now Is Love
2400 Burke, Solomon Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
2401 Clash Straight to Hell
2402 Doors L. A. Woman
2403 Led Zeppelin Since I've Been Loving You
2404 Bennett, Tony I Left My Heart in San Francisco
2405 Gabriel, Peter Solsbury Hill
2406 Stealers Wheel Stuck In The Middle With You
2407 Four Tops Standing In The Shadows Of Love
2408 Smiths Bigmouth Strikes Again
2409 Van Halen Runnin' with the Devil
2410 Young, Neil After The Gold Rush
2411 Gaye, Marvin Ain't That Peculiar
2412 Radiohead High and Dry
2413 Smith, Elliott Waltz #2
2414 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Helpless
2415 Beatles She Said She Said
2416 XTC Senses Working Overtime
2417 INXS Need You Tonight
2418 U2 Vertigo
2419 Sigur Ros Svefn-g-englar (Sleepwalkers)
2420 Green, Al Call Me
2421 Bowie, David Let's Dance
2422 Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
2423 Cher Believe
2424 Weather Report Birdland
2425 Jackson, Michael Thriller
2426 Cream Crossroads
2427 Temptations Ain't Too Proud to Beg
2428 Carpenters Close to You
2429 Dixie Cups Chapel Of Love
2430 Four Seasons Walk Like a Man
2431 Byrds I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better
2432 Daft Punk Digital Love
2433 Presley, Elvis Are You Lonesome Tonight?
2434 Hendrix, Jimi The Star Spangled Banner
2435 Chi-Lites Have You Seen Her
2436 Cooke, Sam Bring It On Home To Me
2437 Marcels Blue Moon
2438 Beatles Across The Universe
2439 Doors Break On Through
2440 Mitchell, Joni Big Yellow Taxi
2441 Reeves, Martha & The Vandellas Nowhere to Run
2442 Robinson, Smokey Shop Around
2443 Simon, Paul Graceland
2444 Isley Brothers It's Your Thing
2445 Houston, Whitney I Will Always Love You
2446 Simple Minds Don't You (Forget About Me)
2447 Costello, Elvis Pump It Up
2448 Palmer, Robert Addicted to Love
2449 Danny & the Juniors At the Hop
2450 Miller, Glenn In the Mood
2451 Withers, Bill Ain't No Sunshine
2452 Shondells Crimson And Clover
2453 Replacements I Will Dare
2454 Chiffons One Fine Day
2455 Carnes, Kim Bette Davis Eyes
2456 Mitchell, Joni Free Man In Paris
2457 Clark, Petula Downtown
2458 Madonna Material Girl
2459 Charles, Ray Hit the Road Jack
2460 Berry, Chuck Sweet Little Sixteen
2461 R.E.M. Everybody Hurts
2462 Animals We Gotta Get Out of This Place
2463 Presley, Elvis All Shook Up
2464 Cocker, Joe With A Little Help From My Friends
2465 Smith, Kate God Bless America
2466 Monkees Last Train to Clarksville
2467 Arcade Fire Rebellion (Lies)
2468 Staple Singers Respect Yourself
2469 Rolling Stones The Last Time
2470 Mayfield, Curtis Move On Up
2471 Michael, George Faith
2472 Costello, Elvis Radio Radio
2473 Vega, Suzanne Luka
2474 Nilsson, Harry Everybody's Talkin'
2475 Beatles Rain
2476 Fuller, Bobby I Fought The Law
2477 Pet Shop Boys Being Boring
2478 Oasis Supersonic
2479 New Order True Faith
2480 Chandler, Gene Duke of Earl
2481 Marvelettes Please Mr. Postman
2482 10cc I'm not in Love
2483 Crosby, Bing White Christmas
2484 Ramones I Wanna Be Sedated
2485 Harrison, Wilbert Kansas City
2486 Big Star September Gurls
2487 Penguins Earth Angel
2488 Wynette, Tammy Stand By Your Man
2489 Beatles Happiness Is A Warm Gun
2490 Shangri-Las Leader Of The Pack
2491 Dion Runaround Sue
2492 Box Tops The Letter
2493 R.E.M. It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
2494 Sly & The Family Stone Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
2495 Five Satins In The Still Of The Night
2496 Madonna Like A Prayer
2497 Sly & The Family Stone Dance To The Music
2498 Hayes, Isaac Theme from Shaft
2499 Isley Brothers Shout (Parts 1 and 2)
2500 Talking Heads Psycho Killer
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry wrote:
jamieW wrote: Jefferson Starship—Miracles (#3 on my list)
If you rate Miracles so highly I wonder if you are familiar with some of Marty Balin's more obscure work with the band Bodacious DF.

I especially like Bodacious DF's song Driving Me Crazy which can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18ZGzNTB3s

and also the song Second Hand Information which I have not yet found available on line.
I wasn't at all familiar with Bodacious D.F., and I did like the song a lot. It had an easy-jazz, singer-songwriter feel that I'll forever associate with classic 70s music. I am quite familiar with Balin's solo work from the early 80s. At one point, "Hearts" would have been fairly high on my All-time list, but I don't feel that it's aged very well (although I still love it). Thanks for the recommendation!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote: The Eagles—One of These Nights (#65/267)
Carly Simon—That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be (#72/427)
Seals & Crofts—Summer Breeze (#91/420)
I wonder how far out of the top 1000 these song were given that both of us had them in our top 500.

My guess is that no more than one other person placed each of the songs in their top 500. :?
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry wrote:
I wonder how far out of the top 1000 these song were given that both of us had them in our top 500.

My guess is that no more than one other person placed each of the songs in their top 500. :?
Three great songs, too. "One of These Nights" is my favorite Eagles song. I think the songwriting is amongst their best, and I love the "dueling" guitars, particularly in the great interlude. "That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" also features great songwriting, with the protagonist in a role that we can all relate to: the pressure from friends and family to behave in a certain, "proper" way. In this case, the stakes couldn't be any higher, since it involves marriage. The minor key and haunting vocals of Carly only further add to the ominous atmosphere. "Summer Breeze" is just the perfect summer song (although, if I remember right, it was actually a hit in the late Fall of 1972). This was singer-songwriter music at its best, with such a great melody! I'm not sure if you would've had to live through the years when these songs were popular to truly appreciate them; but I did, and I do. Therefore, there's no way I could objectively state their relevance to today, since they are subjectively amongst my all-time favorites, and I relate to them now as strongly as I ever did.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

jamieW wrote:
Henry wrote:

Three great songs, too. "One of These Nights" is my favorite Eagles song. I think the songwriting is amongst their best, and I love the "dueling" guitars, particularly in the great interlude. "That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" also features great songwriting, with the protagonist in a role that we can all relate to: the pressure from friends and family to behave in a certain, "proper" way. In this case, the stakes couldn't be any higher, since it involves marriage. The minor key and haunting vocals of Carly only further add to the ominous atmosphere. "Summer Breeze" is just the perfect summer song (although, if I remember right, it was actually a hit in the late Fall of 1972). This was singer-songwriter music at its best, with such a great melody! I'm not sure if you would've had to live through the years when these songs were popular to truly appreciate them; but I did, and I do. Therefore, there's no way I could objectively state their relevance to today, since they are subjectively amongst my all-time favorites, and I relate to them now as strongly as I ever did.
My conjecture is that the emotional pull that you and I feel for each of these songs is not shared by the folks who were born decades later. The songwriter affection we have also does not seem to translate well for folks who did not experience the 60's and 70's as they were actually transpiring.

More songs for which we may have been the only two voters (based on their failure to make the top 1000 cut off in the poll) include:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer—From the Beginning (#183/335)
Wham! Featuring George Michael—Careless Whisper (#206/269)
The Doobie Brothers—Long Train Runnin’ (#237/469)
Jethro Tull—Locomotive Breath (#241/191) - which dropped out of the top 1000 after placing 635 in the 2010 poll :(
Foreigner—Double Vision (#268/329)
Carole King—It’s Too Late (#326/118) - which dropped out of the top 1000 after placing 978 in the 2010 poll :(
Three Dog Night—One (#366/183)
Steely Dan—Hey Nineteen (#390/350)
BB King—The Thrill is Gone (#393/99)
Billy Joel—My Life (#405/210)
The Cranberries—Promises (#418/402)
Bread—Everything I Own (#440/462)
Supertramp—The Logical Song (#471/265)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Of the songs you listed that likely only made our two lists, the three that surprise me the most would be “Locomotive Breath,” “It’s Too Late,” and (especially) “The Thrill is Gone.” Although I personally love the other 10 as well, I understand that they’re not typically on lists of acclaimed songs. I have listened to your entire Top 100 now. Actually, the only one that I’d never heard before was “You’re the Best Thing,” although I had to listen to several others to refresh my memory. These are my favorites that weren’t included on my list:

Isley Brothers—That Lady: Terrific R&B classic; a clear demonstration of the range of the Isley Brothers, from “Shout” to the underrated, somewhat recent “Contagious.”

Elton John—Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding: Another that I was considering for my list. However, I have always felt that the first half of the song is noticeably superior to the more conventional second half.

Stevie Wonder—Another Star: Phenomenal track by a phenomenal artist at his creative peak.

Stevie Wonder—Golden Lady: Ditto.

Todd Rundgren—Can We Still Be Friends: One of my favorite songs by Rundgren, who is definitely an underrated musician with amazing range over the years.

Yes—Yours is No Disgrace: I still prefer “Close to the Edge,” but there’s no denying that this is classic Yes. I especially love the final three minutes.

The Moody Blues—The Story in Your Eyes: Another great track by the artist that will forever lay claim to my all-time favorite song. It seems strange to me how this band, one of the first to combine popular and classical music, is now commonly considered uncool and irrelevant. Fortunately, I’ve never really cared about critical perception (although, admittedly, I do tend to agree with them most of the time).

The Who—Love Reign O’er Me: One of the Who’s most dramatic songs. This one actually did make my Honorable Mentions, but I missed it when I listed the songs that made both of our lists. I had to recheck, because I knew I’d made a huge mistake if I failed to place it on my list.

I also enjoyed many of the classical pieces you included. I considered including a few on my list, as well (“Carnival of the Animals: Aquarium,” “O Fortuna,” excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliet”), but it’s nearly impossible for me to quantify them when compared to popular music, so I left them off. Maybe next time…
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I've made a playlist of some of the tracks that seemed most interesting to me. I'll post my thoughts over a few posts.

Todd Rundgren - "Hello It's Me": I think he was behind Utopia, and "The Ikon" was a pleasant surprise from the Unacclaimed game, so I thought I'd give this a spin. It's quite dreamy and pretty, so I'm pleased I chose it! It's not generally my style, but I appreciate it!

Curtis Mayfield - "Superfly": I'm ashamed to say that the only Curtis Mayfield song I can remember hearing is "Right on for the Darkness", again thanks to the Unacclaimed game. "Superfly" is pretty wonderful as well! I won't be ignoring Curtis Mayfield any longer.

The Style Council - "How She Threw It All Away": Perhaps my favorite so far, this is accomplished, polish pop done so well. Weller's vocals are indeed very nice, and the flutes give it a nice amount of whimsy.

I should add that I'm also very pleasantly surprised to see "I Confess" by The Beat featuring so highly. It's such a gorgeous but heartbreaking song and masters the art of "tragic euphoria", an emotional combination that I find quite powerful! Also surprised and happy to see some Erasure songs pop up. Henry, have you heard songs outside of The Innocents? They've got quite a few great singles throughout their discography. My favorite is "Oh L'Amour".
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Steve Winwood - "While You See a Chance": I thought the only Steve Winwood songs I knew were "Higher Love" and "Valerie", but this sounds somewhat familiar, too. It's got an uplifting quality that I like.

Santana - "Europa": I was never enthusiastic about Santana's music: "Oye Como Va" was always just ok to me, and "Smooth" and "Maria Maria" were much the same. But this is sublime and my favorite so far! The guitar tone is truly piercing and resonant, making this by FAR my favorite Santana song. It seems the song title "Europa" is good for powerful instrumental tracks, as it is the title of one of my favorite Blondie songs, the sweeping orchestral opener to Auoamerican.

Joe Jackson - "You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)": Joe Jackson has been on my radar but I've never gotten into him before. After this song, I might! I especially like the rhythm during the chorus.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Carlo Maria Giulini: London Symphony Orchestra / Beethoven: Symphony #9 In D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral" - 2. Molto Vivace: I don't know why I've ignored so many classical pieces so long - I actually like classical music when I hear it, and this is a nice reminder that it's well worth my time exploring!

OK, The Style Council is my favorite discovery. Wow! What great, sophisticated pop! "Heavens Above" is really nice, and the funk workout toward the end is a major bonus. But the gorgeous "My Ever Changing Moods" is my top pick of the bunch!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Thanks for all the comments Moonbeam.

It would be a great pleasure for me if I could help you become a Style Council fan. I think that My Ever Changing Moods is fantastic. There was a vinyl version of My Ever Changing Moods that differs from the CD version and many prefer the vinyl version. Perhaps one of can post the YouTube versions of both for comparison purposes.

I would hazard a guess that our tastes have at least a 60-70% overlap for enjoyment. In my view, The Innocents album has just a bit more energy than the other Erasure offerings. Some non-Innocents song that I enjoy include: Oh L'amour, Sometimes, Breath of Life, Chorus and In My Arms.

Thanks for suggesting the Blondie Europa song. I had not heard it before. While the dissonance and talk track at the end are not in my wheelhouse, I very much enjoy trying your suggestions and plan to continue exploring your list.

While I understand that your musical sensibilities are broad and deep, my surmise is that your taste trends towards disco and dance songs, especially those that incorporate synths.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Let It Rain is a real fine song! Tiny Dancer, Your Song and Hotel California me especially like among the first 20. I can feel, with age, that I become more open to classic rock. I don't like labelling music but why hasn't "Doctor Wu" with Steely Dan been adopted by the classic rock establishment?

Questions 67 and 68 was a nice surprise as well!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Time for the second list. On a first glance it's in fact quite similar to Moonbeam's (despite only having a song in common!!) in the nj's "vertical vs. horizontal" sense (see this already mythical thread). Not as "vertical" as Moonbeam's but your list relies mainly on a style (classic rock) and a time (the 70s) that shaped your tastes in the days of gold and became the prism through you look to the music. Nothing wrong with that, in fact every list from ours is more or less biased around the sounds that marked us in our youth. Your list is a deep (and wide, 2500 songs!) sampler of the early 70s, times of hard-rock and soft-rock, of country-rock and blues-rock, of northern-soul and southern-rock, of prog-rock bands and singer-songwriters solo artists. An exciting time of discovery that tends to be overlooked by the young critics recently maybe as a reaction against the previous generation of rock critics (you know, Rolling Stone) that maybe overidealized this era as a kind of music Arcadia. Probably a point in the middle of both extremes is the correct place to stay.

But enough talking and more listening. The Top 10 of unknown songs (to me):
15. Isley Brothers | That Lady: absolutely delicious, psychedelic soul at its best. As you mentioned, excellent work with the guitars, the heavily-phased lead guitar but specially the funky rhythm guitars with the wah-wahs. The Isley Brothers were a great band but I admit not being familiar with much of their work despite having recorded a cover from them with my first band (we recorded "Respectable" in Spanish as "Chica formal").
16. Elton John | Tiny Dancer: I recognise not having heard this song before (and the album "Madman Across the Water" where it belongs) despite liking quite a lot the Elton's early 70s material. A very good song with a beautiful melody and a terrific pedal steel. But I prefer the first half of the song without the (maybe too grandiose) orchestral arrangements of the second half.
28. Allman Brothers Band | Blue Sky: excellent song from the last album of the Brothers with Duane Allman (at least partially), "Eat a Peach" (I haven't heard this album, the only albums I know by the Allman Brothers are "At Fillmore East" and "Brothers and Sisters"). Loved the guitars (obviously) but also Betts vocals.
33. Eagles | Take It Easy: you can believe it or not but while I'm very familiar with Jackson Browne's original version (I love it and I even covered it live playing slide guitar) it's the very first time that I listen to the Eagles cover. What can I say? The backing vocals are superb. And the banjo. But I still prefer Browne's.
55. Bonnie Raitt | I Can't Make You Love Me: just like "Crystal Ball" last week, not really unknown but first heard recently for the 90s poll. That was the song hated by every French on the Forum, isn't it? I agree with Dan on it (he summarized it well in the discussion for the 90s poll), the song is good but the arrangements are too polished (should I dare to say too mainstream?), a more rooty and naked approach could have improved it a lot.
58. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band | Against the Wind: Seger is one of my (many) music gaps, I only listened "Night Moves" once, and it did'nt "moved" me (sorry, bad joke). While I was listening to "Against the Wind" I recognized from a live version on a video tape a friend lent me many years ago. But it's the first time I listen to the studio version and... I like it! Good old time American classic rock, it reminds me of Jackson Browne (and that's a good thing for me).
59. Genesis | Behind the Lines: sorry Henry but I'm one of those that don't like at all the Genesis post-Peter Gabriel, dislike that I extend to the solo career of Phil Collins. It falls in a not too interesting (at least to my ears) middle ground between prog and pop.
62. Santana feat. Michelle Branch | The Game of Love: sorry Henry but I don't like that one too. It's not bad but it's maybe the best example of "formulaic" I can think of. Even Frank Zappa joked about it when he called one of his songs "Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression," the famous Eminor - A7 he uses too profusely on this one.
70. Blind Faith | Presence of the Lord: a band that I read about (you know, the supergroup post-Cream, Windwood + Clapton) but never listened to. Good old British blues-rock, or should I say gospel-rock?
76. Yes | I've Seen Only Good People: not exactly my cup of tea, I would choose King Crimson, Genesis and even ELP before Yes if we talk about prog. But I can deny the inventiveness and the musicianship (particularly the vocal harmonies) on this song.

The next 15:
77. Don Henley | The Heart of the Matter
80. The Doobie Brothers | Takin' It to the Streets
81. Bad Company | Ready for Love
88. Yes | Yours Is No Disgrace
89. Moody Blues | The Story in Your Eyes
92. Steve Winwood | While You See a Chance
93. Carly Simon | The Right Thing to Do
95. Foreigner | Waiting for a Girl Like You
100. Lynyrd Skynyrd | That Smell
150. The Beat | I Confess (a big jump from the last one, 50 positions!)
151. Genesis | Home by the Sea
152. Marshall Tucker Band | Heard It in a Love Song
159. Third Eye Blind | Motorcycle Drive By
161. Journey | Somethin' to Hide
162. Yes | Starship Trooper

I liked quite a lot some of these next 15 (specially "The Right Thing to Do" and "I Confess") but some others not that much (specially "Waiting for a Girl Like You").
So another pleasant (valley) Sunday. I enjoyed a lot your list, it reflects perfectly an era and every song on it is a good song. But (and no offense intended) I find two main flaws in my opinion. First of all the anglocentrism, you included English as the only language in 2500 songs (except German on Beethoven's 9th Symphony if I'm not wrong). Not really a problem, it's a common complain you will get from me for almost every list, and not only on this forum. Even my own list got more than 90% of music sung in English.
Secondly, while you made a lot of interesting choices of songs until let's say 1976, after this date most of your choices fall in the category of (like JR would have said) "safe" songs, I mean representing styles or sounds formulaic or unadventurous (with notable exceptions like Style Council or The Beat). Not a great deal too, we've discused that before, recently nicolas stated on the 2012 albums poll that he would choose passion instead innovation, heart instead of mind (there were not his exact words but you get the sense). But, quoting Brad (excellent observation by the way) you can't pretend you don't like what you like. You prefer well-done, well-constructed, well-played songs and that's right. And do you know what? Me too.
Talking about "me too" the coincidences on your Top 250 and mine maybe there are not too high (24/250) but anyway the correlation is much higher than my correlation with Moonbeam's (we only agreed on 4 songs on our Top 250s!!).
Thanks Henry for so many good songs on this windy Sunday.

And next Sunday... Zorg!!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Honorio wrote: So another pleasant (valley) Sunday. I enjoyed a lot your list, it reflects perfectly an era and every song on it is a good song. But (and no offense intended) I find two main flaws in my opinion. First of all the anglocentrism, you included English as the only language in 2500 songs (except German on Beethoven's 9th Symphony if I'm not wrong). Not really a problem, it's a common complain you will get from me for almost every list, and not only on this forum. Even my own list got more than 90% of music sung in English.
Secondly, while you made a lot of interesting choices of songs until let's say 1976, after this date most of your choices fall in the category of (like JR would have said) "safe" songs, I mean representing styles or sounds formulaic or unadventurous (with notable exceptions like Style Council or The Beat). Not a great deal too, we've discused that before, recently nicolas stated on the 2012 albums poll that he would choose passion instead innovation, heart instead of mind (there were not his exact words but you get the sense). But, quoting Brad (excellent observation by the way) you can't pretend you don't like what you like. You prefer well-done, well-constructed, well-played songs and that's right. And do you know what? Me too.
Honorio - Your comments are very much appreciated.

Even when you disagree or provide a critique, your eloquence sweetens the sting.

I distinctly remember completing undergraduate at 21 years of age in 1977, and outside of a very limited set of exceptions, I have not been exposed to music other than "safe" songs until perhaps @ 2008 or so when I started reading and participating in the AM forum. So that's more than 30 years of calcification that may require a few more to loosen up.

Your comment regarding the anglo-centrism of my list is spot on. Unfortunately, I do not anticipate this limitation changing dramatically due to my linguistic limitations.
Last edited by Henry on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Henry wrote:Even when you disagree or provide a critique, your eloquence sweetens the sting.
Many thanks, Henry, go and tell it to my boss, the director of muy hospital, lol. Everytime I try to use my eloquence for one of my projects he ends with the same argument: I don't have money for that. :(
Honorio wrote:it's in fact quite similar to Moonbeam's (despite only having a song in common!!)
Do you know which one?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Honorio wrote:
Henry wrote:Even when you disagree or provide a critique, your eloquence sweetens the sting.
Many thanks, Henry, go and tell it to my boss, the director of muy hospital, lol. Everytime I try to use my eloquence for one of my projects he ends with the same argument: I don't have money for that. :(
Honorio wrote:it's in fact quite similar to Moonbeam's (despite only having a song in common!!)
Do you know which one?
Managing your boss is indeed a challenge. I am confident that if you use your analyitical skills to their full measure you will be able to maneuver your suggestions so that they become your boss'. The key would be to not provide a single solution to a problem or challenge but tell your boss that you would appreciate your boss' recommendation given your thoughts regarding the challenge and the pros and cons for at least two plausible solutions. The viewpoint should be that of continuous approvement and gaining consensus with your boss regarding prioritization. Good luck!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Great recommendation, Henry, many thanks. So I should manage to convince my boss that my idea in fact was his? That's brilliant!
But I'm afraid that his excuse about the money is basically true, we're living a terrible moment right now in Spain.

And the only song in common of your list with Moonbeam's is... Stevie Wonder's "As"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”