Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 1

Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 1

Post by Bang Jan »

The way this game works is that you will be given two sets of four songs, your job is to rank each of the sets from best to worst. First place gets 4 points, second gets 3 etc.

The song with the most points in each set will advance to the semi-finals. If there is a tie for points, then the song with more first place votes will advance. If they are tied on first place votes as well, there will be a sudden death tiebreak. Also the six highest scoring non-winners in the heat stage (based off point per voter and then percentage of first place votes) will also advance to the semi-finals.

Feel free to ask any questions, deadline is next Wednesday at 15:00 UTC.

Thread for the Draw

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize
Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come

Anesthetize
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 1

Post by Hymie »

Suggestion for tie breaker. The first tie breaker should be a count of how many voters had each song ranked higher than the other song on their ballot. That way, in effect, every voter votes for one or the other to break the tie. If there's an even amount of ballots and it's still tied after that step, then go to most first place votes, etc.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

MY BALLOT

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Jain | Come
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Hymie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm Suggestion for tie breaker. The first tie breaker should be a count of how many voters had each song ranked higher than the other song on their ballot. That way, in effect, every voter votes for one or the other to break the tie. If there's an even amount of ballots and it's still tied after that step, then go to most first place votes, etc.
I agree, that seems like a sound idea.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Oh boy, what better way to start Unacclaimed VI than with a 28 minute experimental electronic composition, an 18 minute neo-prog suite and an 11 minute Japanese jazz piece, all in the first bracket? :D

I listened to quite a bit Kosmische Musik lately and also gave Klaus Schulze's most famous work Irrlicht a spin, but it didn't quite connect with me. I do like how the neo-baroque arrangements of Ludwig II. von Bayern evokes the gargantuan architecture the historical Ludwig II. was famous for. The almost hip-hop like rhythm in the last third also surprised me, but all in all, I think this one might not be for me, either.

I introduced Anesthetize as a neo-prog piece, but listening to it, I'm wondering what could be considered prog about it. The drums are interesting, and the song also has a suite-like structure. But other than that, I couldn't really distinguish this from other alternative rock songs of the 90's. Oh, this is from 2007? Never mind.

I've never heard of Brendan Perry until now, and I don't really know what to make of his weirdly constrained mid-tempo wailing over a vaguely trip-hop sounding beat, other than that it's too cleanly produced for my taste and probably just not for me, either.

I liked Early Summer, it kept a nice, complex groove going and both the pianist (Ryo Fukui himself) and the drummer (Yoshinori Fukui, apparently his brother) used their chances to shine. This just exudes great musicianship and is thus my favourite of this bracket.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

The second bracket kicks off with my own nomination, Thee Oh Sees who build a rock-solid krautrock groove that makes for a welcome break from their neurotic guitar assaults they are mostly known for nowadays.

After that we have So Yesterday, and I may or may not know this song. This is solidly crafted pop, and I wouldn't necessarily change the channel if this came on the radio.

Dounia is more interesting. There is quite a batch of artists from Mali that crossed over to Western mainstream audiences, including Amadou & Mariam, Songhoy Blues and Oumou Sangaré, whom I all enjoy. Rokia Traoré sounds a bit more subdued than the former, but is equally intriguing.

Come is another catchy, danceable single by Jain and, surprisingly her most streamed song on Spotify. For some reason I thought Makeba, my favourite of hers, was more popular.

All in all this was a great bracket with three songs I wouldn't mind advancing.

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Oh my goodness, the very first group of the tournament has an average song length of 15 minutes. Not intimidating at all of course.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

(the top song was the only one I listened to the full length of not because I felt obligated to, but because it was that good)

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Jain | Come
Rokia Traoré | Dounia

Also the title of my first song here reminded me of a great Japanese Breakfast track:
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I listened to all the songs and included my random ramblings below, so if anybody wants to read them, you can but don‘t expect any enlightening results. As you'll see it starts off with long texts and ends with short ones because I didn't want to write anymore but wanted to finish this today. There's probably a lot of mistakes, so sorry for that.

Alfred Hitchcock Group

Klaus Schulze – Ludwig II. von Bayern
Year: 1978
Album: X

A long piece, taking in the C-side of the double album and titled after one of the most famous kings in German history. Ludwig II. is most well-known nowadays for his castles that look like they came straight out of a fairytale, Neuschwanstein being the most famous of them. He spent a lot on these building projects and neglected his duties as the Bavarian king, which led to him being declared insane. The story of a king so focused on art that he loses focus of power is one worthy of being put onto the big screen, which happened multiple times, but the most famous one, and the one I recommend to people who like a long movie full of lavish pictures (shot at the actual castles): Visconti‘s Ludwig.
The album is subtitled „Sechs musikalische Biografien“ (Six Musical Biographies), although it would be rather hard for you to find his details of his life in the track. However I don‘t think Schulze just randomly assigned the title to this specific song. He uses a small string orchestra (courtesy of the HR) playing a passage from Vivaldi‘s 11th concerto and enriching it with synthesized sounds. Ludwig‘s favorite composer was (I‘m pretty sure about this) Richard Wagner, who sounds completely different from Vivaldi. Still, the combination of a classical theme with electronic elements makes for a fascinating piece (and I‘m generally fond of modern interpretations of classical music). Schulze doesn‘t tear it apart as many electronic artists who work with classical music do; instead he puts different layers on it, heightening the classical motive in the background. It appears again and again, with different sounds surrounding it, but it stays the same. Variations on a theme is something you often find in classical music, and that‘s more than an exercise. He could have titled this song „Variations on a Theme by Vivaldi“ and I would probably agree (however, I could just blabber right now). However, he calls it „Ludwig II. von Bayern“ - I‘m probably reaching here, but in the context of the title I just keep thinking how he takes a piece of music and uses electronic instruments to paint around it, making it his own piece. It‘s not just strings anymore, it‘s a whole collage of sound transcending the original piece while still paying respect to it. I still can‘t articulate it, but the title just feels right, and maybe that‘s all it‘s supposed to do.

Porcupine Tree – Anesthetize
Year: 2007
Album: Fear of a Blank Planet

Since I‘m already in the using-classical-terminology-I-shouldn‘t-use-because-I-don‘t-really-understand-it-mode, I‘m just gonna declare this progressive rock song a suite. It consists of three parts, the first of which starts out quietly but leads up to an impressive guitar solo (courtesy of Rush‘s Alex Lifeson). While the first part is mostly about feelings of dissociation, the second part goes all in lamenting modern day consume culture by saying it turns us into apathic zombies. Here the abilities of Gavin Harrison, the group‘s drummer, shine best. And suddenly, that‘s over. We glide over into an interlude towards the third part, that‘s slower and, at first, seems to find a solution to the problem painted in the first two parts. Warm water, waves, smiling into the sun – the associations are mostly positive. But the group manages to turn them into synonyms for the pills described in the second part. Counting the waves, one after another, after having failed to make a connection. It‘s the same concept as the pills, but he‘s grown accustomed to it, he accepts that he‘s turned numb – and that acceptance makes him smile into the black sun.
There‘s a lot of songs about the numbness of modern society (I mean, a LOT), but this one turns out to be one of the better ones, due to the individual parts working wonderfully together, creating a soundscape that conveys pretty much, what it wants to convey.

Brendan Perry – Utopia
Year: 2010
Album: Ark

I‘ve never listened to this album, but the lighthouse on the cover, the title Ark and the title of the song, „Utopia“ really all seem to come together to form something coherent. An Utopia is (as most people probably know) an ideal place, while the opposite, the dystopia, signifies a place where everything is less than ideal. Perry plays with the polarities of these two terms, singing about this world as a dystopian one, and the utopian one he plans to build with his loved one. Lyrically it‘s a nice story: Love as the power with which to overcome everything bad in the world. However, the music tells a different tale. It‘s dark and doesn‘t sound uplifting at all. So it probably really isn‘t about turning this dystopian world into an own personal Utopia, but more about showing the middle finger to this world and moving into the next one, which is pretty depressing, but not more so than usual in songs like these.

Ryo Fukui – Early Summer
Year: 1976
Album: Scenery

It‘s a jazz piece from a trio – and that trio is piano, bass and drums. Well, nowadays it feels like that‘s 80% of all jazz groups but I don‘t mind if the result is as great as this is. Fukui shows real dexterity on the piano and he definitely is the focal point of the song, even if Yoshinori Fukui, his brother, has a nice solo in the last third. It‘s a cover of „Early Summer“ by Hideo Ichikawa, however, the two versions sound completely different. Here‘s the original if you want to give it a spin (just eight minutes long):
Fukui‘s version lacks the saxophone of course, but it also puts up a higher tempo and he puts more power into it, so I prefer his version over the original.
The baffling thing about Fukui (Ryo, the pianist) is, that he taught himself to play piano when he was 22 and recorded this song and the entire album just four years later. Well, that gives me hope that I will be a great jazz pianist one day…

Results:

This was so long… Just the first song was longer than the entire second bracket. But I‘m not complaining, I actually think this is the superior of the two. However, long does not equal good, and there are lengths in Schulze‘s piece which puts it in the second-to-last spot. The last spot is filled with Brendan Perry, because his song is the one that seems to be the most forgettable (which doesn‘t imply that it‘s forgettable, just that it‘s more forgettable than the others… you get it). I‘m a jazz fan, so I put Fukui‘s piano skills above Porcupine Tree‘s prog rock suite.

Ryo Fukui – Early Summer
Porcupine Tree – Anesthetize
Klaus Schulze – Ludwig II. von Bayern
Brendan Perry – Utopia

Orson Welles Group

Thee Oh Sees – You Will Find It Here
Year: 2016
Album: An Odd Entrances

The song starts up with a bunch of mood-setting noises, before building up to an actualmelody. They proceed to engage in what I‘m choosing to call reciting (it‘s not singing, but that‘s not bad). I could write more about this, cause it‘s actually not bad at all, but I really can‘t, sorry.

Hilary Duff – So Yesterday
Year: 2003
Album: Metamorphosis

It‘s a breaking up song, but one of the „I really don‘t care about you anymore, so please leave, because I‘m already totally over you“-kind. That‘s not a bad thing; I do think that a large part of the target audience for this was probably teenage girls (considering Duff was a Disney star, it‘s highly probable), and a song about how it‘s totally possible to get over someone instead of wallowing in sadness about broken hearts and crying is actually pretty nice. So it‘s a happy song, but I can‘t help feeling that a different voice could have turned this into a better song. As it is, it‘s nice, but not something I will be returning to.

Rokia Traoré – Dounia
Year: 2008
Album: Tchamantché

The song starts out quietly, just with a guitar (or two, I think...) and Traoré‘s deep voice singing in Bambara, a language I have no knowledge of. I looked for a translation and didn‘t find a good one. However what I could destill from the ones I found is, that she sings about the lost history of Africa. Later in the song, background vocals kick in, but the focus stays on her voice which is really the highlight of the song. Even without the context of the lyrics I find myself enjoying her singing a lot.

Jain – Come
Year: 2015
Album: Zanaka

I think I know this song but I don‘t know where from, because I can‘t recall having consciously heard it. Drawing connections to other songs in this bracket to show how I can totally connect my random ramblings: It‘s an upbeat pop song like „So Yesterday“, and the singer sings about Africa like Traoré does in „Dounia“, so I researched why she sings about Africa and it turns out she spent four years in the Republic of Congo, so that‘s something. It‘s the kind of pop music I like listening to.

Results:

Hilary Duff‘s song is the one I enjoyed the least of the eight songs this week, so I‘m putting it in the last spot. Jain‘s pop song is nice, but not nice enough to top Thee Oh Sees and Traoré‘s great work on „Dounia“.

Rokia Traoré – Dounia
Thee Oh Sees – You Will Find It Here
Jain – Come
Hilary Duff – So Yesterday
Last edited by Schüttelbirne on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

For me, none of these quite realise their ambitions.

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come

I am more familiar with Dounia than any other nominated song I didn't nominate. I thought Tchamantché might be bubbling under, but no.
Never listened to Jain before, but on the strength of this track really should.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:24 pm I listened to all the songs and included my random ramblings below, so if anybody wants to read them, you can but don‘t expect any enlightening results.
You needn't worry, this was an enjoyable, in-depth analysis full of humour, I related all too well to the 'classical-terminology-I-shouldn‘t-use-because-I-don‘t-really-understand-it-' part :D You should write more often on here (if you want to, that is)
All I got inside is vacancy!
Myself
Let's Get It On

Post by Myself »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

I think I need to listen to more Klaus Schulze, the 70ies poll this year sounds like a good place for that

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Jain | Come
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Brendan Perry | Utopia

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
Hymie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm Suggestion for tie breaker. The first tie breaker should be a count of how many voters had each song ranked higher than the other song on their ballot. That way, in effect, every voter votes for one or the other to break the tie. If there's an even amount of ballots and it's still tied after that step, then go to most first place votes, etc.
I like the sound of this idea, but personally, I think that using the first place votes system is easier to do especially with the way the spreadsheet is laid out. Also, it's pretty much impossible I think to use your method to determine the repechage leaderboard standings.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Bang Jan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 pm I like the sound of this idea, but personally, I think that using the first place votes system is easier to do especially with the way the spreadsheet is laid out. Also, it's pretty much impossible I think to use your method to determine the repechage leaderboard standings.
I don't know what you mean by "pretty much impossible." I run the same contest every month in a 1950 Music Newsgroup that I am in, and I use my tie breaker as the first tie breaker.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

This is exciting, 7 out of the 8 are completely new for me to get to know! More variance within the songs in Hitchcock but more between the songs in Welles. Wish I could like Mr. Dead Can Dance's track more than I do:

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
3 | Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
4 | Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize
5 | Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
6 | Brendan Perry | Utopia

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1 | Jain | Come
2 | Rokia Traoré | Dounia
7 | Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
8 | Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Jain | Come
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1 | Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
2 | Brendan Perry | Utopia
3 | Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
4 | Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize

Only Klaus Schulze really resonated with me here

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1 | Jain | Come
2 | Rokia Traoré | Dounia
3 | Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
4 | Hilary Duff | So Yesterday

A rare occurrence for Unacclaimed - I'd already heard all of these previously! The top two are both strong.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

DaveC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm Never listened to Jain before, but on the strength of this track really should.
YMMV, but in my experience, Come is a standout for Jain - her albums tend to have quite a few weak tracks. That said, other songs I'd recommend from Jain are Makeba (2015) and Flash (2018).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

A good start! The voice of the Malians is always incredible.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
3. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
6. Brendan Perry | Utopia
7. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize

ORSON WELLES GROUP
2. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
4. Jain | Come
5. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
8. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
2. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern : this is an incredible track, I absolutely love it.
3. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer - I swear the start of this track has been sampled on a song I appreciate, but for the life of me I can't remember which one
4. Brendan Perry | Utopia - Shivers throughout when you hear Brendan Perry's voice in the low range. Not so much when he reaches high and shame about the electronic drumbeats. Makes me miss Dead Can Dance, but this song is actually quite good
5. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1. Jain | Come - A perfect pop song, heavily influenced by reggae. On heavy rotation in 2018.
6. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here. The competition is fierce for me to put TOS in 6th position. It's a decent song - they have done much better.
7. Rokia Traoré | Dounia - didn't lift much emotion from me.
8. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday - duff, ? nah, naff.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Not much separates these for me. I wouldn't put any of them in my top 10,000, but I wouldn't call any of them bad either. Anesthetize could have been great if all of its good ideas were fit into half or a third of the time. I really like So Yesterday's chorus, but the rest is about what I would expect from Hilary Duff... not great.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize
6. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
7. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
8. Brendan Perry | Utopia

ORSON WELLES GROUP
2. Jain | Come
3. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
4. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
5. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Alfred Hitchcock group should be renamed Martin Scorsese group, the songs are longer than "The Irishman." :mrgreen:

VERTIGO GROUP
2 | 福居良 | Early Summer | 1976
4 | Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize | 2007
6 | Brendan Perry | Utopia | 2010
7 | Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern | 1978

CITIZEN KANE GROUP
1 | Rokia Traoré | Dounia |2008
3 | Jain | Come | 2015
5 | Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here | 2016
8 | Hilary Duff | So Yesterday | 2003
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern

ORSON WELLES GROUP
2. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
5. Jain | Come
starchman46
Strange Fruit

Post by starchman46 »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP

Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Brendan Perry - Utopia
Klaus Schulze - Ludwig II. von Bayern
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Ryo Fukui - Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Thee Oh Sees - You Will Find It Here
Rokia Traoré - Dounia
Jain - Come
Hilary Duff - So Yesterday
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Jain | Come
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

starchman46 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:31 pm ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP

Brendan Perry | Utopia
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
Are you planning on ranking the Orson Welles Group starchman46?
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
4. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
2. Jain | Come
5. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
2. Brendan Perry | Utopia
3. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
4. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1. Jain | Come
2. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
3. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

What an awesome opening week to an awesome game! I really liked 7 of the 8 tracks here, and I was only familiar with the song I didn't like. Lots to love here!

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP

1. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer
2. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize
3. Brendan Perry | Utopia
4. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern

What a monster group! Every song here could be a winner in another group. "Early Summer" edges out the rest for its buoyancy, but I wouldn't mind any of these advancing, and advancing far.

ORSON WELLES GROUP

1. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
2. Jain | Come
3. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
4. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday

The top 3 are all great. "Dounia" and "Come" in particular stood out immediately as highlights, and again could be worthy finishers in the top 4 of the game.
starchman46
Strange Fruit

Post by starchman46 »

ORSON WELLES GROUP

Jain | Come
Rokia Traoré | Dounia
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

24 hours remain!
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
1. Brendan Perry | Utopia
2. Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize
3. Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern
4. Ryo Fukui | Early Summer

ORSON WELLES GROUP
1. Jain | Come
2. Hilary Duff | So Yesterday
3. Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here
4. Rokia Traoré | Dounia
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

HITCHCOCK GROUP
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (UK)
Klaus Schulze - Ludwig II. von Bayern (GER)
Brendan Perry - Utopia (UK)
Ryo Fukui - Early Summer (JPN)

WELLES GROUP
Thee Oh Sees - You Will Find It Here (USA)
Jain - Come (FRA)
Hilary Duff - So Yesterday (USA)
Rokia Traoré - Dounia (MLI)
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

RESULTS:

ALFRED HITCHCOCK GROUP
Klaus Schulze | Ludwig II. von Bayern | 72 | 10
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer | 69 | 8
Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize | 63 | 6
Brendan Perry | Utopia | 56 | 2

ORSON WELLES GROUP
Jain | Come | 78 | 9
Rokia Traoré | Dounia | 75 | 11
Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here | 62 | 5
Hilary Duff | So Yesterday | 45 | 1

There will be a list of heat winners as well as the repechage leaderboard in the original draw thread so you can keep track with the listening required for the semi-finals.

Repechage leaderboard:

Rokia Traoré | Dounia | 2.88 | 42.31%
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer | 2.65 | 30.77%
Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize | 2.42 | 23.08%
Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here | 2.38 | 19.23%
Brendan Perry | Utopia | 2.15 | 7.69%
Hilary Duff | So Yesterday | 1.73 | 3.85%
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

7 voters put "So Yesterday" above "Dounia." I'm feeling more and more out of step with my beloved AM Forum. Quoting Robert Smith: "yesterday I got so old, It made me want to cry." No offense intended, please...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”