Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 2

Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 2

Post by Bang Jan »

The way this game works is that you will be given two sets of four songs, your job is to rank each of the sets from best to worst. First place gets 4 points, second gets 3 etc.

The song with the most points in each set will advance to the semi-finals. If there is a tie for points, then the song with more first place votes will advance. If they are tied on first place votes as well, there will be a sudden death tiebreak. Also the six highest scoring non-winners in the heat stage (based off point per voter and then percentage of first place votes) will also advance to the semi-finals.

Feel free to ask any questions, deadline is next Wednesday at 15:00 UTC.

Thread for the Draw

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Alphabeat | Public Image
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled
Bet The Levels | GE Days

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom
Green Day | Peacemaker
The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk Out Ma Face

GE Days
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: Unacclaimed VI: Heats, Week 2

Post by Hymie »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Alphabeat | Public Image
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled (Is this really a professional recording???? It's fucking pitiful)

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Green Day | Peacemaker
Model 500 | Astralwerks
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Alphabeat | Public Image
Swans | I Crawled
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Are you sure this isn't the right link for "GE Days"? https://betthelevels.bandcamp.com/track/ge-days
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:14 pm Are you sure this isn't the right link for "GE Days"? https://betthelevels.bandcamp.com/track/ge-days
The nominator did specify the version from the Josh's Nightmare EP.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Huh, somehow this whole game, including nomination process and first round went completely past me. I think I somehow confused it with the Overlooked game somehow. Oh well.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Once again I just wrote down some thoughts for these songs. Once again, excuse the mistakes and the incessant blabbering.

Stanley Kubrick Group

Alphabeat – Public Image
Year: 2008
Album: This Is Alphabeat

A cover of Public Image Ltd.‘s debut single „Public Image“ (1978). That band is of course the group Johnny Rotten formed after the Sex Pistols disbanded and the song was actually written while that group was still intact. It deals with the discrepancy between the individual and the public persona he presents. The public conception of himself can‘t be controlled by him and presents a picture that is very different from the picture he makes of himself. He feels like his texts aren‘t being taken seriously as actual expressions of an opinion but more as part of a provocative act. This is actually a very famous track that most of you probably know (it ranks at 552 at AM).
I wasn‘t aware of the Alphabeat cover and having listened to it I‘m not at all sad about it. It‘s not a bad version, but the spirit of the song seems to get lost. Just look at the cover of the single and compare it with the cover of the album: Public Image Ltd. Opts to make an actual political statement, while Alphabeat just wants to make upbeat pop music.

There‘s nothing wrong with upbeat pop music (although it is not my very favorite kind of music), and the production in itself isn‘t bad; specifically the whistling adds a nice touch. But they also chose this particular song to cover; they may have chosen it because they liked it and thought nothing much of it, but this decision has an impact. The song is not part of the original version of the album Alphabeat released in Denmark, but was added on the international edition This Is Alphabeat. Normally I‘m all about tearing a song out of context and giving it new meaning, finding a different perspective on something familiar. But in this case it doesn‘t work for me. This may well be some hidden bias against upbeat pop music, but I really don‘t care for this song.

Kofelgschroa – Sog ned
Year: 2012
Album: Kofelgschroa

I really expected a lot of different genres in this game but not Bavarian brass music. I‘m glad to say that, despite living in Bavaria for the majority of my life, I have managed to avoid a lot of exposure to it. I generally don‘t like it, but that doesn‘t mean that there aren‘t hidden gems in the genre. I don‘t actively look for them because I would have to dig through a lot rubble, so I‘m not an expert. Certainly the most famous Bavarian brass band is LaBrassBanda, a band that is widely known in Bavaria. I‘ve heard of the name Kofelgschroa, but I‘ve never actually heard any of their music and I don‘t think that will change. „Sog ned“ is far from a bad track, but it really doesn‘t evoke any interest in me to check out their other discography.
They use among other instruments, a tuba, an accordion and a tenor horn (is this the right translation?). The music in itself is not the typical volksmusik you would expect to hear from a brass band. The lyrics basically say: „I say it not like that and also not like that.“
I‘m not opposed to a band making a modern version of volksmusik and making their own thing of it, and I‘m sure there‘s an audience for it (otherside this song wouldn‘t be here), but that doesn‘t mean I have to enjoy it. (This sounds incredibly harsh; I didn‘t dislike the song as much as it seems I do from what I‘ve written).

Swans – I Crawled
Year: 1984
Album: Young God (EP)

Warning: Not to be taken seriously.

Listening to this I couldn‘t help but wonder: „What would Freud have said?“ and from the answer to that question I just kept on going, leading me into strange realms.
A son will always hate his father, because he is a rival standing in the way of fulfilling his true sexual desires with his mother. Ideally, the son feels he‘s weaker than his father and develops the fear that his father will castrate him if he doesn‘t stop desiring his mother. Instead the son is supposed to replicate the father‘s behavior outside of the family – the father turns from a rival to a role model. Well, at least that‘s what Freud says, but for the sake of this interpretation I will turn to Erich Fromm.
For Fromm, the father is the not only supposed to be a role model, but also a person of authority. The father determines the Über-Ich and in his role as authority he also represents the multiple authorities in society. The important thing to know is that the child is horribly afraid of his father and horribly afraid of official institutions because they represent the same authority his father does. This of course creates a defunct human being, loading the hate he unconciously feels for his father off on people weaker than him. Fromm calls this person a „authoritarian personality“.
I read somewhere that Michael Gera, Swans‘ leadsinger, was inspired to write this song after a dream in which Ronald Reagan was his father. He identifies the president as an authority, just like his father, somebody to be afraid of, but also somebody to be admired. In the first part of the song he makes this authority figure part of his own Über-ich, in the second part they‘re off to „ride“, meaning suppressing people weaker than him, meaning women and minorities.

Bet the Levels – GE Days
Year: 2015
Album: Josh‘s Nightmare (EP)

This is a nice rock song, and I don‘t feel like I do it a misservice by not writing an essay purposefully misinterpreting it…

Results:

This is the weakest group so far. None of the songs are really my cup of tea, but here goes:

Swans – I Crawled
Bet the Levels – GE Days
Kofelgschroa – Sog ned
Alphabeat – Public Image

Federico Fellini Group

Model 500 – Astralwerks
Year: 1995
Album: Deep Space

There‘s a thing about a lot of electronic music: A certain meandering nature, constantly on repeat, seemingly going nowhere. There‘s tracks that seem to go on forever and never change their tune, and I‘ve still not decided why I like some of it and dislike others. This, however, has nothing to do with this song, because it‘s not overly long and has a nice melody with interesting ideas sprinkled throughout.

Electra – Tritt ein in den Dom
Year: 1980
Album: Electra 3

Moving along to the first of my four nominations in this game. Electra is one of the most interesting bands of the GDR: a progressive rock band playing classical music and composing rock suites about the Sistine Madonna. „Tritt ein in den Dom“ is probably one of their most well known songs (which doesn‘t say a lot, considering that East German music has been largely forgotten and ignored in West Germany). The title means: „Enter the cathedral“ and the song evokes the feeling of being completely overwhelmed and feeling small and intimated by the sheer magnificence. In the end the chorus sings: „The cathedral was built by humans.“ This entire song lasts ten minutes, but for me it always feels shorter.

Green Day – Peacemaker
Year: 2009
Album: 21st Century Breakdown

I‘m not really familiar with the album discography of Green Day, since I‘ve only ever listened to singles and one or two albums, so I was surprised when I read through the singles released from 21st Century Breakdown: „Know Your Enemy“, „Last of the American Girls“ and especially „21 Guns“ are very familiar to me. The latter would probably have been a better choice for this game (just for me personllay). „Peacemaker“ is pretty solid, but offers nothing exciting for me.

The Brothers Johnson – Get the Funk Out Ma Face
Year: 1976
(Album: Look Out for #1)

I put the album part in brackets, because the album version is not even half as long as the single version (but I like the album version better). The song itself is a nice funk tune co-written by Quincy Jones. Funk is one of those genres where repetition is the norm. I never know what makes me like or dislike repetition in a song. Here it just seems like they seem to be repeating themselves for half of the song. That may be the appeal for some people, but I‘m not one of them.

Results:

This is a better group. I put my nomination in the top spot.

Electra – Tritt ein in den Dom
Model 500 – Astralwerks
Green Day – Peacemaker
The Brothers Johnson – Get the Funk Out Ma Face
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
2 | Bet the Levels | GE Days
4 | Swans | I Crawled
5 | Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
7 | Alphabeat | Public Image

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
1 | Model 500 | Astralwerks
3 | Green Day | Peacemaker
6 | The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk out of My Face
8 | Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Alphabeat | Public Image
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Green Day | Peacemaker
Model 500 | Astralwerks
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Alphabeat | Public Image
Swans | I Crawled

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Green Day | Peacemaker
Model 500 | Astralwerks
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Alphabeat | Public Image
Swans | I Crawled
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

For some reason I confused Alphabeat with Alphaville, so I expected a hidden German synth pop gem. Instead, I got a hidden Danish indie pop gem, which is arguably better. A fun, catchy little song. edit: Just read Schüttelbirne's post and became aware that this is actually a cover of the PIL song. It did sound vaguely familiar, but I didn't really make the mental connection because of the huge difference atmosphere wise between the two renditions.

I listened to Kofelgschroa's debut a few months ago because it was recommended by rumpdoll on these forums (I suspect he nominated Sog ned for this game, as well :whistle:). I knew their best-known track Wäsche beforehand, which is a bit more poignant than Sog ned. I liked Wäsche, but when I listened to the album I was completely blown away by the opener Sog ned. Every element, first the accordion, then the tuba, then the voice of singer Maximilian Pongratz and then the flugelhorn (?) is just so catchy and, I don't know, earthy? It just comes together so well for me, I guess I have been destined to listen to brass music all my life without knowing it. Also, the voice of Pongratz is just so peculiar, I absolutely love it. I don't know if he sings in a very rare dialect of their native Oberammergau or if it's just the regular upper bavarian dialect, but the way he stresses the words comes together so well with his timbre that the first thing I did after listening to the song for the first time was to look up pictures of Pongratz so the voice became something real, belonging to a person actually walking the earth, instead of this abstract, otherworldly but very intriguing part of this nearly perfect song.

I've never really listened to Swans, but this is pretty much what I'd expect them to sound like. These are some of the words I'd associate with this sound: Dark, drone, industrial, menacing, repetition. In the best case it can reach a certain kind of transcendence, but I Crawled doesn't really lift off.

GE Days is a garage punk song, although Bet The Levels go by the self-description of poser rock. Which kind of makes sense in an age where namechecking people like Ty Segall, John Dwyer or Jay Reatard can be vital to your hipster credibility. But surprisingly, BTL opt for a more 90's California skatepunk informed sound. But that's okay, I'd still drink beer and jam with them, and in the end isn't that what garage punk is all about?

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Alphabeat | Public Image
Swans | I Crawled

Model 500 is an alias of Juan Atkins, one of the godfathers of detroit techno, especially noted for his groundbreaking work with Cybotron. Astralwerks shows him at his most spaced out, which is not surprising considering the album's name, Deep Space. In this track, ethereal pads are contrasted with jittery drums and a surprisingly funky bassline, which makes for an interesting, if not quite essential experience.

Next we have a prog rock song from Eastern Germany. Tritt ein in den Dom ("Enter the Cathedral") deals, unsurprisingly, with religous imagery and how awe-inspiring it is to enter the titular cathedral. This could be seen as a form of protest against the decidedly secular government of the former GDR. But then, there's the very prominent line "Den Dom haben Menschen errichtet" ("the cathedral was built by humans") which makes this interpretation a bit tricky.
Musically, this might be second only to Queen regarding sheer bombast. I kind of enjoy Stephan Trepte's very exalted lead vocals, although the sappy background choir can be a bit much. Other than that we have a vaguely churchy sounding organ providing intro and outro, some nice distorted guitar here and there, and even a jazzy saxophone solo right in the middle, so there should be something for everyone.

I think I hear some influences from the music of southeastern europe in Peacemaker. I don't know how this fits into the greater story arc of 21st Century Breakdown (if it does at all), and the song is not really interesting enough for me to look into it any further.

Get The Funk Out Ma Face funks. It really does. That's enough to top this group.

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Swans | I Crawled
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Alphabeat | Public Image
Bet The Levels | GE Days

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Swans | I Crawled
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Alphabeat | Public Image

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Green Day | Peacemaker
Model 500 | Astralwerks
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled
Alphabeat | Public Image
Bet The Levels | GE Days

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Swans | I Crawled
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Alphabeat | Public Image

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Alphabeat | Public Image
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Green Day | Peacemaker
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

2001 A SPACE ODDYSSEY GROUP
5 | Kofelgschroa | Sog ned | 2012
6 | Alphabeat | Public Image | 2008
7 | Swans | I Crawled | 1984
8 | Bet the Levels | GE Days | 2015

8 ½ GROUP
1 | The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk Out Ma Face | 1976
2 | Model 500 | Astralwerks | 1995
3 | Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom | 1979
4 | Green Day | Peacemaker | 2009
Myself
Let's Get It On

Post by Myself »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days
Swans | I Crawled
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Alphabeat | Public Image

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Don't forget to vote!
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

As correctly guessed Kofelgschroa is my first pick and it already got many more votes as I would have expected. I was the same as Schüttelbirne, happy about not having to listen to bavarian music and I still feel that way about most of it. I can't really explain why I feel different about Kofelgschroa, i can only say listening to them makes me happy.

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned
Swans | I Crawled
Alphabeat | Public Image
Bet The Levels | GE Days

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
Model 500 | Astralwerks
Green Day | Peacemaker
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
1. Bet The Levels | GE Days
2. Alphabeat | Public Image
3. Swans | I Crawled
4. Kofelgschroa | Sog ned

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
1. The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk Out Ma Face
2. Green Day | Peacemaker
3. Model 500 | Astralwerks
4. Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
5. Bet the Levels | GE Days
6. Swans | I Crawled
7. Alphabeat | Public Image
8. Kofelgschroa | Sog ned

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
1. Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom
2. Green Day | Peacemaker
3. The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk Out Ma Face
4. Model 500 | Astralwerks
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

KUBRICK GROUP
Swans-I Crawled (USA)
Bet the Levels-GE Days (USA)
Alphabeat-Public Image (DEN)
Kofelgschroa-Sog ned (GER)

FELLINI GROUP
The Brothers Johnson-Get the Funk Out Ma Face (USA)
Model 500-Astralwerks (USA)
Green Day-Peacemaker (USA)
Electra-Tritt ein in den Dom (GER)
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

24 hours remain!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

RESULTS:

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days | 55 | 8
Swans | I Crawled | 48 | 3
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned | 44 | 5
Alphabeat | Public Image | 43 | 3

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP
The Brothers Johnson | Get the Funk Out Ma Face | 58 | 8
Model 500 | Astralwerks | 49 | 4
Electra | Tritt ein in den Dom | 42 | 5
Green Day | Peacemaker | 41 | 2

Repechage leaderboard:

Rokia Traoré | Dounia | 2.88 | 42.31%
Ryo Fukui | Early Summer | 2.65 | 30.77%
Model 500 | Astralwerks | 2.58 | 21.05%
Swans | I Crawled | 2.53 | 15.79%
Porcupine Tree | Anesthetize | 2.42 | 23.08%
Thee Oh Sees | You Will Find It Here | 2.38 | 19.23%
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:14 pm Are you sure this isn't the right link for "GE Days"? https://betthelevels.bandcamp.com/track/ge-days
Yes it is but the version I like more is the re-recorded version on Josh’s Nightmare
Last edited by Edre Depeche Head on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Bang Jan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:58 pm RESULTS:

STANLEY KUBRICK GROUP
Bet The Levels | GE Days | 55 | 8
Swans | I Crawled | 48 | 3
Kofelgschroa | Sog ned | 44 | 5
Alphabeat | Public Image | 43 | 3

FEDERICO FELLINI GROUP