Best Albums of All-Time 2020 Planning Thread

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Best Albums of All-Time 2020 Planning Thread

Post by Holden »

Worry not! I don't plan to actually start this poll until June or so (after the decade polls). However, I would like to begin a planning thread where we outline several things:
1. Album List Minimums and Maximums
2. Equations
3. Information y'all would like in the roll-out.
4. Start and End Date for List Submission
Please respond with ideas for this!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Best Albums of All-Time 2020 Planning Thread

Post by Moonbeam »

I think the host generally gets to choose these things, although it's great to reach out for input!

1. I'd hope to submit a list of my top 500 at least, so I hope lists up to 500 will count. As a minimum, I'm not sure - maybe 50?
2. There are lots of good formulas that have been used. Some common ones seem to use a formula similar to:

100*(x + 1)/(x + rank), where the value of x varies from poll to poll and controls the steepness of the curve.

3. I'm happy with anything, but some must-haves for me include year of release, points, and at least the top fan of the album.

4. I'd start accepting lists as early as you can. As someone who has hosted big polls before, I consider those who submit their lists early to be angels sent from Heaven, as that reduces the impact of the flood of submissions at the end (I'm often guilty of submitting at the last minute, myself!). A good end date might be June 30 - that seems to be a common cut-off for the big polls, although it can vary.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

There are too many polls happening right now. The year is long. There's no need to rush what should be the premier poll of the year.
Last edited by Listyguy on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

It might seem late to some but Honorio's projected timespan of July-September for the all-time albums nominations may give us the breathing space between polls and the sufficient time to turn in ballots without rushing, just sayin! As Moonbeam says though, anyone who wants to submit before then shouldn't be discouraged.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Listyguy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 am There are too many polls happening right now. The year is long. There's no need to rush what should be the premier poll of the year.
Agree with this. I think we should hold off discussion on the all-time poll until near the scheduled date. It’s way too soon right now.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Alright, we can hold off a bit, thank you for your input!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

In case it could be of use to anyone else, I'm announcing that I'll be using this to make my list: https://github.com/antialiasis/favorite-picker
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I think it might be time to start updating and recompiling our best album lists. It is not clear to me yet what the expected deadline is for this effort. But, one could easily forget about it since it's been more than two months since someone added a reply to this thread.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henry wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 pm I think it might be time to start updating and recompiling our best album lists. It is not clear to me yet what the expected deadline is for this effort. But, one could easily forget about it since it's been more than two months since someone added a reply to this thread.
If people would like I can start a thread. Maybe August or July deadline?
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Holden wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:54 pm
Henry wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 pm I think it might be time to start updating and recompiling our best album lists. It is not clear to me yet what the expected deadline is for this effort. But, one could easily forget about it since it's been more than two months since someone added a reply to this thread.
If people would like I can start a thread. Maybe August or July deadline?
I think now is an appropriate time to open a thread for it. Maybe September 1st would be a good deadline? Just a suggestion ofc :mrgreen:
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I thought it was decided that it would be July 1 to October 1? Or am I misremembering?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The top albums/songs of the 2010s poll has a deadline of June 30th. So if we assume that the rollout will take up the first half of July, then I think a September 1st deadline makes sense, as it gives some breathing roll between the two major polls.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:49 am I thought it was decided that it would be July 1 to October 1? Or am I misremembering?
I feel as though we really don’t need to have a start date as everyone will probably change their lists a million times anyways, so I feel like starting a thread now with a far off end date isn’t a bad thing, just gets people thinking without pressure. Also the longer the window, the more participation I think we’ll have. Honestly, we don’t even need a solid end date now, we can decide that later

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”