what happened to the project of tagging genres to the songs of AM Top?

panam
Full of Fire

what happened to the project of tagging genres to the songs of AM Top?

Post by panam »

Sorry, if i'm offtopic, but I was trying to looking for the thread about it and i couldn't find it, what happened at the end?

Edited:

I'm sharing the link of Sweepstakes Ron because it could be useful for Acclaimed Music.
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:09 pm I made a spreadsheet with all the songs where people can add the genres, if they wanna just look for them on RYM. It's not something to be completed, just something for fun in case anyone wants to work on it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by panam on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: what happened to the project of tagging genres to the songs of AM Top?

Post by Henrik »

This is something that has the highest priority for me, both for the possibility to make genre lists/playlists and because genre tags will improve the AM ranking formula. But I haven’t pushed for help for a couple of reasons.

Primary reason: The genre tagging for albums uses information from rateyourmusic. For songs, I’ve been thinking that information from sonemic could be used (with proper linking to sonemic of course). However, sonemic (sort of a RYM v2.0) has been delayed several times.

Secondary reason: I have so little time for AM nowadays so I’m a bit afraid to ask for a lot of help that I will never find time to implement.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am This is something that has the highest priority for me, both for the possibility to make genre lists/playlists and because genre tags will improve the AM ranking formula. But I haven’t pushed for help for a couple of reasons.

Primary reason: The genre tagging for albums uses information from rateyourmusic. For songs, I’ve been thinking that information from sonemic could be used (with proper linking to sonemic of course). However, sonemic (sort of a RYM v2.0) has been delayed several times.

Secondary reason: I have so little time for AM nowadays so I’m a bit afraid to ask for a lot of help that I will never find time to implement.
Thanks Henrik for your answer. I think we will have to wait a bit for SONEMIC, but RYM already provides some information about the genres per song (click on the original album). I shall be attentive! :)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

There's also the matter that the genre tree itself has had some significant changes that have yet to be implemented on AM (all of which I accounted for in another thread). One thing I worry about when applying genres to songs is what to do in cases where the song has a remix or alternate version that is a completely different genre, especially when multiple versions appear on different lists.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Actually... Henrik. can you produce a spreadsheet listing every song on AM along with their numerical IDs? I have something I want to try...
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Henrik wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 am This is something that has the highest priority for me, both for the possibility to make genre lists/playlists and because genre tags will improve the AM ranking formula. But I haven’t pushed for help for a couple of reasons.

Have you thought about splitting some of the responsibles
Edre the Depeche Head
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm Actually... Henrik. can you produce a spreadsheet listing every song on AM along with their numerical IDs? I have something I want to try...
In the excel sheet on the history page the IDs are hidden in column A.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I made a spreadsheet with all the songs where people can add the genres, if they wanna just look for them on RYM. It's not something to be completed, just something for fun in case anyone wants to work on it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Sweepstakes Ron!!

You can remove parent genres though, as it’s unnecessary work for people to collect this. I get that automatically through programming.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I think in some cases it's necessary to include a second or a third music genre especially when they're genres without the same parent, don't?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

While we are asking for specific data : does anybody have the AM list of albums which their respective length ? Sometimes I have only 30 or 40 minutes available and wonder which album I would have the time to listen to and by the time I find a fitting album I have lost 5 of those free minutes.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:32 pm I think in some cases it's necessary to include a second or a third music genre especially when they're genres without the same parent, don't?
Not sure what you mean. Could you give an example?
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Nassim wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm While we are asking for specific data : does anybody have the AM list of albums which their respective length ? Sometimes I have only 30 or 40 minutes available and wonder which album I would have the time to listen to and by the time I find a fitting album I have lost 5 of those free minutes.
You mean like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm
panam wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:32 pm I think in some cases it's necessary to include a second or a third music genre especially when they're genres without the same parent, don't?
For example: Rosalia's "Malamente"

Using the data of RYM:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/singl ... 1-augurio/

Main genres: Flamenco Pop, Alternative R&B
Secondary genrfes: Copla, Art Pop, Trip Hop

Both main genres have no relationship at all, excluding Alternative R&B for only Flamenco Pop could be partial, I think
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Using the data of RYM:

Both main genres have no relationship at all, excluding Alternative R&B for only Flamenco Pop could be partial, I think
I think you mixed up main genre and parent genre. I never said that any main genres should be removed. Anyway, Sweepstakes Ron has removed the parent genre column now.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm
panam wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Using the data of RYM:

I think you mixed up main genre and parent genre. I never said that any main genres should be removed. Anyway, Sweepstakes Ron has removed the parent genre column now.
So, it's ok to write two or more genres in the genre column (maybe it's too obvious, but i wanted to write the second main genre in the next column).
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think that’s what Sweepstakes Ron intended.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Nassim wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm While we are asking for specific data : does anybody have the AM list of albums which their respective length ? Sometimes I have only 30 or 40 minutes available and wonder which album I would have the time to listen to and by the time I find a fitting album I have lost 5 of those free minutes.
You mean like this?
Yes ! Thanks a lot !
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:09 pm I made a spreadsheet with all the songs where people can add the genres, if they wanna just look for them on RYM. It's not something to be completed, just something for fun in case anyone wants to work on it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
If a lot of people have nothing to do under quarantine, it would be amazing if this spreadsheet could be filled out. But could more than one person update the spreadsheet at the same time?

Also, it would be a nice gesture to RYM to collect all the RYM links as well in a new column, and provide RYM links on all AM song pages. Hopefully, the links will be in a similar form whenever sonemic launches.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

One trouble I've run into (that I haven't yet come up with a solution for) is when the genre votes for a single contrast with the individual song genres on album pages. For example:

ZZ Top - "Gimme All Your Lovin"

Single: Hard Rock, Boogie Rock (secondaries: Pop Rock, New Wave)
Album track: Hard Rock, Pop Rock (secondaries: Boogie Rock [not "bolded" on genre vote page])

I hope you weren't thinking this would be finished by the next site update. I intended this would be a long, long process.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:52 pm One trouble I've run into (that I haven't yet come up with a solution for) is when the genre votes for a single contrast with the individual song genres on album pages. For example:

Album track: Hard Rock, Pop Rock (secondaries: Boogie Rock [not "bolded" on genre vote page])

I hope you weren't thinking this would be finished by the next site update. I intended this would be a long, long process.
Singles generally have more genre votes than album tracks, and might therefore be more robust. However, that’s for the whole single (A-side and B-side) so I’m not sure if anything can be recommended in general.

It would certainly be a long process, but if there’s any time to do it faster, it’s now.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:30 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:52 pm One trouble I've run into (that I haven't yet come up with a solution for) is when the genre votes for a single contrast with the individual song genres on album pages. For example:

Singles generally have more genre votes than album tracks, and might therefore be more robust. However, that’s for the whole single (A-side and B-side) so I’m not sure if anything can be recommended in general.

It would certainly be a long process, but if there’s any time to do it faster, it’s now.
I think a better alternative could be contrast the information with Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_All_Your_Lovin%27

What do you think?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Wait, I just remembered the "additional notes" column exists. Guess these genre discrepancies would make a better use for it than anything.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

If you want to help out, you can just use a random number generator, finding the song with the matching ID, and look that one up... and if you can't find anything, just generate another number!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”