Help needed for a Eurovision project

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Help needed for a Eurovision project

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hey gang! I may need you to help me out with a Eurovision-related project. (Wait, don't leave!)

I'll share a document I wrote up explaining the whole plan for this contest and how the voting will work, but the long and short of it is that you fine folks could help me with the "televote" aspect. Most Eurovision panels include lots of fans, which keeps the opinions in the echo chamber and doesn't really reflect how people at home actually vote. I want at least some of the people voting to be outside the Eurovision fan sphere, and (as far as I know) most of you are casual Eurovision fans at most. Therefore, if your country is involved in Eurovision, you can vote as part of their televote, and the combined results will be the televote for the country. That make any sense? Just read the thing.

I'll share the songs that are competing in the two semis. If you're in the first semi, you can either submit a ranked top ten of your favorite songs from it (or just a complete ranking, whatever floats your boat), just remembering that you can't vote for your own country's entry. The six countries that advance directly to the final can vote for any of the songs in the semi they were supposed to vote in (The Netherlands, Germany, and Italy would vote in the first semi, while France, Spain, and the United Kingdom would vote in the second semi). Doesn't matter what your thoughts are on Eurovision - just vote in a way that feels right. It'd be a big help and it'd be great to get everyone applicable here involved!

Here are the semi-finalists:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... OhNbqPEG3W[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... kWsoiz3EbE[/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Help needed for a Eurovision project

Post by StevieFan13 »

Is everybody really that uninterested?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Personally, I'm from the U.S., have only heard of Eurovision through you, and can't name a single song that's ever come out of it.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

StevieFan13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm Is everybody really that uninterested?
I must admit I find your interest in this competition rather funny. For at least forty years now, everyone in Europe has been making a complete mockery of this "competition" and looking at it more to make fun of singers than anything else. Only the advent of the internet has brought back to life this thing that had fallen into oblivion. But I'm not sure it's for a good reason.
Your naive love for this competition is truly amazing.

There have been some great songs in the past and I hope the level will go up one day.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Romain wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:01 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm Is everybody really that uninterested?
I must admit I find your interest in this competition rather funny. For at least forty years now, everyone in Europe has been making a complete mockery of this "competition" and looking at it more to make fun of singers than anything else. Only the advent of the internet has brought back to life this thing that had fallen into oblivion. But I'm not sure it's for a good reason.

There have been some great songs in the past and I hope the level will go up one day.
I don't know if I'd call it naive. I've made a lot of friends and found some business opportunities. And I personally think the level of songs and investment of major artists feels way higher than it was before. I don't appreciate condescension but I get where it's coming from.
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

I haven't missed a Eurovision since I first saw it as a kid in 1996. Sure it has had some not so great years... I don't think it's quite fair to dismiss this as a competition that everyone in Europe has been watching for the sake of mockery. Yes, there's a lot of weirdness that is part of the fun - but a lot of citizens in a lot of countries take it seriously.

Hell, I'm a Brit - one of the lands of not caring a jot about sending a good song to Eurovision because of our privileged Big 5 position - and I adore this competition. The only reason I haven't been to one is the extreme expense.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

StevieFan13 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:48 pm

I don't know if I'd call it naive. I've made a lot of friends and found some business opportunities. And I personally think the level of songs and investment of major artists feels way higher than it was before. I don't appreciate condescension but I get where it's coming from.
I don't know if my words were well chosen or translated. There was no mockery, I hope you know that. With naive I meant "love with no ulterior motive." you like the songs with no nationalism behind... you just.. like them :-)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Mulholland wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 pm

I haven't missed a Eurovision since I first saw it as a kid in 1996. Sure it has had some not so great years... I don't think it's quite fair to dismiss this as a competition that everyone in Europe has been watching for the sake of mockery. Yes, there's a lot of weirdness that is part of the fun - but a lot of citizens in a lot of countries take it seriously.

Hell, I'm a Brit - one of the lands of not caring a jot about sending a good song to Eurovision because of our privileged Big 5 position - and I adore this competition. The only reason I haven't been to one is the extreme expense.
LOL :) it's slightly paradoxical to be a Brit and enjoy Eurovision for what it is. Terry Wogan springs to mind immediately :)
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I remember watching Lordi perform Hard Rock Hallelujah in NZ. It was quite a surreal experience...
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

spiritualized wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 am
Mulholland wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 pm

LOL :) it's slightly paradoxical to be a Brit and enjoy Eurovision for what it is. Terry Wogan springs to mind immediately :)
And it’s an attitude I appreciate. Brits who enjoy Eurovision for what it is earn my respect.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I'll lend my vote to this! Probably won't submit my ranking til my next day-off but I'll listen with an open mind, honestly :music-listening:

I realise non-Europeans (who also aren't Australian or Israeli) can't take part in the official televote but could non-applicable forumers still pick a surrogate European country and cast their unofficial vote on here? As a Brit, it wouldn't affect me either way, just reckoned it'd get more people involved.
All I got inside is vacancy!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Right, finally got round to listening to the 2nd semi. Think about Things deserves to win this round with its 'just dated enough to be quirky' disco, I might actually watch the contest if they replicate the dancing in their knitwear featured in the video. SUPERG!RL's message might help it progress, while Chains on You's and Tears Getting Sober's convincing (and tuneful) adaptations of American pop trends shouldn't do them any harm. Or the voters may just think "screw it, let's just go for the one that says 'I love you' in as many languages as Tornike Kipiani knows":

1. Daði Freyr Pétursson & Gagnamagnið - Think about Things 🇮🇸 Iceland
2. Stefania - SUPERG!RL 🇬🇷 Greece
3. Athena Manoukian - Chains on You 🇦🇲 Armenia
4. Senhit - FREAKY! 🇸🇲 San Marino
5. Elisa - Medo de Sentir 🇵🇹 Portugal
6. Victoria - Tears Getting Sober 🇧🇬 Bulgaria
7. Benny Christo - Kemama 🇨🇿 Czech Republic/Czechia
8. Hurricane - Hasta la vista 🇷🇸 Serbia
9. Tornike Kipiani - Take Me as I Am 🇬🇪 Georgia
10. Gjon's Tears - Répondez-moi 🇨🇭 Switzerland
11. Vincent Bueno - Alive 🇦🇹 Austria
12. Alicja - Empires 🇵🇱 Poland
13. Samantha Tina - Still Breathing 🇱🇻 Latvia
14. Ben & Tan - YES 🇩🇰 Denmark
15. Natalie Gordienko - Prison 🇲🇩 Moldova
16. Arilena Ara - Fall from the Sky 🇦🇱 Albania
17. Uku Suviste - What Love Is 🇪🇪 Estonia
18. Aksel - Looking Back 🇫🇮 Finland
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Can't vote in any sense (although with Australia's inclusion... maybe someday) but I want to say that I've been obsessed with Russia's entry, Uno by Little Big, for the past week. Not neccesarily for the song, either, I just think the video's really funny.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I thought Eurovision 2020 was cancelled due to coronavirus?
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wow, I thought people had forgotten about this! Mileswide, thank you for your vote - that’s going toward the “televote”!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

PlasticRam wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 am I thought Eurovision 2020 was cancelled due to coronavirus?
Yes, but the songs were already released.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

I don't know if I'd call it naive. I've made a lot of friends and found some business opportunities.
I'm sorry, you found business opportunities?? Elaborate, please.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Setherex wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:24 pm

I don't know if I'd call it naive. I've made a lot of friends and found some business opportunities.
I'm sorry, you found business opportunities?? Elaborate, please.
You get in good with the right people over Facebook and email, you're making connections with a vast swath of the European music industry. "Business opportunities" might be a stretch, but the potential for using this project as a way to get to know folks from record companies and the European Broadcasting Union is big. I'm Facebook friends with more or less the entire music industries of Iceland, Cyprus, and Moldova. No, this doesn't make me a Eurovision P. Diddy or anything, but it doesn't hurt. But yeah, maybe saying actual business opportunities wasn't accurate. Potential business opportunities, however, aren't out of the picture. The goal is to get to work at the EBU someday.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I didn't miss the deadline for the semi-final vote, did I?

On the off-chance that we'll get more than 1 ballot for the semis, will the cut-off for the final be the 16th i.e. when the Shine a Light show takes place?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

mileswide wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:24 am I didn't miss the deadline for the semi-final vote, did I?

On the off-chance that we'll get more than 1 ballot for the semis, will the cut-off for the final be the 16th i.e. when the Shine a Light show takes place?
Nope! I initially wanted it to be May 16th, but school and life got in the way so it'll most likely be in early June, with the final not too long after. Still recruiting jurors.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:38 am Nope! I initially wanted it to be May 16th, but school and life got in the way so it'll most likely be in early June, with the final not too long after. Still recruiting jurors.
Cool, hopefully that'll give plenty of time for more ballots here then :whistle: And happy belated birthday to you and the real Stevie (I saw you mention you shared a birthday in another thread and I knew it was his 70th yesterday)!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

mileswide wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 am
StevieFan13 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:38 am Nope! I initially wanted it to be May 16th, but school and life got in the way so it'll most likely be in early June, with the final not too long after. Still recruiting jurors.
Cool, hopefully that'll give plenty of time for more ballots here then :whistle: And happy belated birthday to you and the real Stevie (I saw you mention you shared a birthday in another thread and I knew it was his 70th yesterday)!
For sure! And thank you! It was a great day. My 21st, in fact. It’s pretty insane that I share a birthday with one of my favorite musicians ever.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 am For sure! And thank you! It was a great day. My 21st, in fact. It’s pretty insane that I share a birthday with one of my favorite musicians ever.
You're lucky- from the top of my head, the best I can muster for shared birthdays is Usher, Cliff Richard and Shaznay Lewis of All Saints 'fame' (she was the talented one at least!)
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Best I can manage re birthdays is Grace Slick, Snow of 'Informer' renown, Matthew Morrison from Glee and Gavin Rossdale from Bush. I was born the day before Bohemian Rhapsody came out though.

Count me in with the Eurovision game, my wife and I will have a listen when I've finished my Music Marathon.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Here are the votes from the Stratford-upon-Avon jury:

1. Arilena Ara - Fall from the Sky 🇦🇱 Albania
2. Daði Freyr Pétursson & Gagnamagnið - Think about Things 🇮🇸 Iceland
3. Victoria - Tears Getting Sober 🇧🇬 Bulgaria
4. Ben & Tan - YES 🇩🇰 Denmark
5. Alicja - Empires 🇵🇱 Poland
6. Gjon's Tears - Répondez-moi 🇨🇭 Switzerland
7. Tornike Kipiani - Take Me as I Am 🇬🇪 Georgia
8. Uku Suviste - What Love Is 🇪🇪 Estonia
9. Natalie Gordienko - Prison 🇲🇩 Moldova
10. Aksel - Looking Back 🇫🇮 Finland
11. Elisa - Medo de Sentir 🇵🇹 Portugal
12. Vincent Bueno - Alive 🇦🇹 Austria
14. Senhit - FREAKY! 🇸🇲 San Marino
15. Stefania - SUPERG!RL 🇬🇷 Greece
16. Hurricane - Hasta la vista 🇷🇸 Serbia
17. Benny Christo - Kemama 🇨🇿 Czech Republic/Czechia
18. Athena Manoukian - Chains on You 🇦🇲 Armenia

Hope this helps!
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 pm Here are the votes from the Stratford-upon-Avon jury:

1. Arilena Ara - Fall from the Sky 🇦🇱 Albania
2. Daði Freyr Pétursson & Gagnamagnið - Think about Things 🇮🇸 Iceland
3. Victoria - Tears Getting Sober 🇧🇬 Bulgaria
4. Ben & Tan - YES 🇩🇰 Denmark
5. Alicja - Empires 🇵🇱 Poland
6. Gjon's Tears - Répondez-moi 🇨🇭 Switzerland
7. Tornike Kipiani - Take Me as I Am 🇬🇪 Georgia
8. Uku Suviste - What Love Is 🇪🇪 Estonia
9. Natalie Gordienko - Prison 🇲🇩 Moldova
10. Aksel - Looking Back 🇫🇮 Finland
11. Elisa - Medo de Sentir 🇵🇹 Portugal
12. Vincent Bueno - Alive 🇦🇹 Austria
14. Senhit - FREAKY! 🇸🇲 San Marino
15. Stefania - SUPERG!RL 🇬🇷 Greece
16. Hurricane - Hasta la vista 🇷🇸 Serbia
17. Benny Christo - Kemama 🇨🇿 Czech Republic/Czechia
18. Athena Manoukian - Chains on You 🇦🇲 Armenia

Hope this helps!
Fantastic! Thank you very much! (And I've been there three times - love that town! Had the best afternoon tea last time and saw King John.)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”