Little Richard Dead at 87

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Little Richard Dead at 87

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Sat May 09, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Little Richard dead at 87

Post by PlasticRam »

Rest in peace. A great man.
I feel like that
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Re: Little Richard Dead at 87

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji »

Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll

Signature:
Top 1000+ Tournament Poll is the music version of election day.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Perhaps my favorite artist of the old rock 'n roll guard; Here's Little Richard is certainly the best of the albums I heard of the period and style. A true innovator. Rest in peace.

[And I don't want to derail this topic, but please Wisnu, posting about someone else in every new obituary topic without even mentioning the deceased in question is really disrespectful and, frankly, annoying.]
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Wow, how awful! Rest in peace, Little Richard. Sadly the old rock guard is dying. How many rock legends from the 50s are even alive?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nick wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:25 pm Wow, how awful! Rest in peace, Little Richard. Sadly the old rock guard is dying. How many rock legends from the 50s are even alive?
There are now two surviving members of the initial Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee class: Jerry Lee Lewis (84) and Don Everly (82).

I'll have to search YouTube for a memorable Grammy Awards moment from the 1980s: Richard presenting Best New Artist with David Johansen (in character as Buster Poindexter), and derailing the moment by repeatedly announcing "The winner is...ME!" and then ranting (tongue only partly in cheek, I think), "Y'all never gave me no Grammy!"

A true, one-of-a-kind original. R.I.P., Mr. Penniman.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Truly one of the greats, and an excellent showman on top of that.
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Rob wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm [And I don't want to derail this topic, but please Wisnu, posting about someone else in every new obituary topic without even mentioning the deceased in question is really disrespectful and, frankly, annoying.]
I'm sorry. But I posted a video of "Bila Tiba" by Ungu as a tribute to artists who passed away (including Little Richard).
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time, now Top 500+ and soon grown up to Top 1000+.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Harold wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:44 pm
Nick wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:25 pm Wow, how awful! Rest in peace, Little Richard. Sadly the old rock guard is dying. How many rock legends from the 50s are even alive?
There are now two surviving members of the initial Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee class: Jerry Lee Lewis (84) and Don Everly (82).
Not from that initial group, but Lloyd Price is still alive.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm
Rob wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm [And I don't want to derail this topic, but please Wisnu, posting about someone else in every new obituary topic without even mentioning the deceased in question is really disrespectful and, frankly, annoying.]
I'm sorry. But I posted a video of "Bila Tiba" by Ungu as a tribute to artists who passed away (including Little Richard).
It’s a nice thought, but you ought to say something about the artist in question and what they mean to you. Dropping the video in without context makes your intentions unclear.

Anyway, damn. What an absolute legend. “Tutti Frutti” is one of my favorite songs from the earliest days of rock and roll, and his music still has that spark and energy now that it did years ago.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

StevieFan13 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:50 pm Anyway, damn. What an absolute legend. “Tutti Frutti” is one of my favorite songs from the earliest days of rock and roll, and his music still has that spark and energy now that it did years ago.
Yes, I know. But, what's a song to be called Rock 'n' Roll? Guitar distortion, great drums, the screaming of vocals, or others? For me, "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard is sounds like a "Pop record" because "the first Rock 'n' Roll record" was debated even never shove a problem because some musicologies debated about some inspirational songs that some peoples say as "the first Rock 'n' Roll record" including "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats and a cover by Bill Haley, "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes, and other inspirational songs.

Coming soon:

Signature:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:50 pm Anyway, damn. What an absolute legend. “Tutti Frutti” is one of my favorite songs from the earliest days of rock and roll, and his music still has that spark and energy now that it did years ago.
Yes, I know. But, what's a song to be called Rock 'n' Roll? Guitar distortion, great drums, the screaming of vocals, or others? For me, "Tutti Frutti" by Little Richard is sounds like a "Pop record" because "the first Rock 'n' Roll record" was debated even never shove a problem because some musicologies debated about some inspirational songs that some peoples say as "the first Rock 'n' Roll record" including "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats and a cover by Bill Haley, "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes, and other inspirational songs.
I don’t really know the point you’re trying to make here. I’m not saying it WAS the first rock and roll song. However you’d define it, it’s one of the first.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard (or "That's All Right," "Maybellene," and "Tutti Frutti," their first major songs) are the Holy Trinity of '50s rock to me. Little Richard's music was like going up in a rocketship. Of all the big names then, he was a wild man amongst wild men.
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

StevieFan13 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 pm
I don’t really know the point you’re trying to make here. I’m not saying it WAS the first rock and roll song. However you’d define it, it’s one of the first.
That's what I know.
Live in Phoenix wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:28 am Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard (or "That's All Right," "Maybellene," and "Tutti Frutti," their first major songs) are the Holy Trinity of '50s rock to me. Little Richard's music was like going up in a rocketship. Of all the big names then, he was a wild man amongst wild men.
Wow! Even, Elvis and Chuck Berry also "Rocking 'n' Rolling". It's amazing!

Coming soon:

Signature:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:28 am Of all the big names then, he was a wild man amongst wild men.
Indeed. In the decades since Little Richard hit the scene there have been many artists who have been louder, faster or more chaotic, but there is something primal in the wildness of Little Richard that doesn't date.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Bob Dylan, who dreamed of joining Little Richard’s band as a young musician in Minnesota, penned a short tribute to the rock pioneer following his death Saturday at the age of 87.

“I just heard the news about Little Richard and I’m so grieved,” Dylan wrote. “He was my shining star and guiding light back when I was only a little boy. His was the original spirit that moved me to do everything I would do.”

Dylan continued, “I played some shows with him in Europe in the early nineties and got to hang out in his dressing room a lot. He was always generous, kind and humble. And still dynamite as a performer and a musician and you could still learn plenty from him. In his presence he was always the same Little Richard that I first heard and was awed by growing up and I always was the same little boy. Of course he’ll live forever. But it’s like a part of your life is gone.”

In Dylan’s high school yearbook in 1959, then-senior Robert Zimmerman famously wrote that his life ambition was “to join Little Richard.” As the Star Tribune reported, Dylan even attempted to emulate Little Richard’s imitable performing style during his first-ever public performance at a Hibbing High School talent show in 1957.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

'From 'Tutti Frutti' to 'Long Tall Sally' to 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' to 'Lucille', Little Richard came screaming into my life when I was a teenager. I owe a lot of what I do to Little Richard and his style; and he knew it. He would say, "I taught Paul everything he knows". I had to admit he was right.

'In the early days of The Beatles we played with Richard in Hamburg and got to know him. He would let us hang out in his dressing room and we were witness to his pre-show rituals, with his head under a towel over a bowl of steaming hot water he would suddenly lift his head up to the mirror and say, "I can’t help it cos I’m so beautiful". And he was.

'A great man with a lovely sense of humour and someone who will be missed by the rock and roll community and many more. I thank him for all he taught me and the kindness he showed by letting me be his friend. Goodbye Richard and a-wop-bop-a-loo-bop.'

- Paul McCartney
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

MY 50 FAVORITES:

1. Long Tall Sally
2. Tutti-Frutti
3. Slippin' And Slidin'
4. Rip It Up
5. Keep A-Knockin'
6. Good Golly, Miss Molly
7. Ain't Nothin' Happenin'
8. I'm In Love Again
9. I Brought It All On Myself
10. Ready Teddy
11. True Fine Mama
12. Miss Ann
13. Send Me Some Lovin'
14. Lucille
15. Baby
16. The Girl Can't Help It
17. Every Hour
18. Get Rich Quick
19. Hey Hey Hey Hey
20. Taxi Blues
21. Kansas City
22. Rice, Red Beans And Turnip Greens
23. Ooh! My Soul
24. Early One Morning
25. Little Richard's Boogie
26. Jenny, Jenny
27. I'll Never Let You Go
28. Heeby-Jeebies
29. Every Night About This Time
30. Fool At The Wheel
31. Bama Lama Bama Loo
32. Ain't That Good News
33. All Night Long
34. By The Light of The Silvery Moon
35. I Got It
36. She's My Star
37. Why Did You Leave Me?
38. Can't Believe You Wanna Leave
39. She's Got It
40. All Around The World
41. She Knows How to Rock
42. Directly from My Heart
43. Baby Face
44. Oh Why
45. Freedom Blues
46. Lonesome And Blue
47. Always
48. I'm Just A Lonely Guy
49. I Love My Baby
50. Valley of Tears
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Hymie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 pm MY 50 FAVORITES:

1. Long Tall Sally
2. Tutti-Frutti
3. Slippin' And Slidin'
4. Rip It Up
5. Keep A-Knockin'
8. I'm In Love Again
10. Ready Teddy
11. True Fine Mama
12. Miss Ann
13. Send Me Some Lovin'
14. Lucille
15. Baby
17. Every Hour
18. Get Rich Quick
19. Hey Hey Hey Hey
20. Taxi Blues
21. Kansas City
23. Ooh! My Soul
24. Early One Morning
26. Jenny, Jenny
28. Heeby-Jeebies
30. Fool At The Wheel
31. Bama Lama Bama Loo
32. Ain't That Good News
33. All Night Long
35. I Got It
36. She's My Star
39. She's Got It
40. All Around The World
43. Baby Face
44. Oh Why
45. Freedom Blues
46. Lonesome And Blue
47. Always
49. I Love My Baby
50. Valley of Tears
Hymie, you should run a Little Richard song poll
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

madzong wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 am
Hymie wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 pm MY 50 FAVORITES:

1. Long Tall Sally
2. Tutti-Frutti
3. Slippin' And Slidin'
4. Rip It Up
5. Keep A-Knockin'
8. I'm In Love Again
10. Ready Teddy
11. True Fine Mama
12. Miss Ann
13. Send Me Some Lovin'
14. Lucille
15. Baby
17. Every Hour
18. Get Rich Quick
19. Hey Hey Hey Hey
20. Taxi Blues
21. Kansas City
23. Ooh! My Soul
24. Early One Morning
26. Jenny, Jenny
28. Heeby-Jeebies
30. Fool At The Wheel
31. Bama Lama Bama Loo
32. Ain't That Good News
33. All Night Long
35. I Got It
36. She's My Star
39. She's Got It
40. All Around The World
43. Baby Face
44. Oh Why
45. Freedom Blues
46. Lonesome And Blue
47. Always
49. I Love My Baby
50. Valley of Tears
Hymie, you should run a Little Richard song poll
Yes madzong, Hymie is the host for the polling about Little Richard songs.

Coming soon:

Signature:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

It seems that some people feel that Little Richard's self-titled 1958 album is even better than Here's Little Richard, but it isn't on Spotify. However, spread out over several compilations I was able to find all the songs and recreated the album as a playlist. For those who like me really want to listen to a lot of Richard now:

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Different Class

Rob wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 am It seems that some people feel that Little Richard's self-titled 1958 album is even better than Here's Little Richard, but it isn't on Spotify. However, spread out over several compilations I was able to find all the songs and recreated the album as a playlist. For those who like me really want to listen to a lot of Richard now:

Great! Where you found songs from Little Richard's self-titled album in 1958 but his album isn't found on Spotify?

Coming soon:

Signature:
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Rob wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 am It seems that some people feel that Little Richard's self-titled 1958 album is even better than Here's Little Richard, but it isn't on Spotify. However, spread out over several compilations I was able to find all the songs and recreated the album as a playlist. For those who like me really want to listen to a lot of Richard now:
I was fortunate some years back to find a CD that contains both albums in their entirety; it functions, for all intents and purposes, as a Little Richard greatest-hits compilation, since the two albums feature all of his most famous songs. I definitely listened to it on Saturday.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Great! Where you found songs from Little Richard's self-titled album in 1958 but his album isn't found on Spotify?
Like I said, all the songs are on Spotify, through compilations. I just placed them together in the right order.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”