Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.10

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.10

Post by Brad »

Welcome to round 1.10 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 19th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=473090

Match-ups:
1. Solange - A Seat at the Table vs. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
2. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest vs. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
3. Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Blonde Redhead - 23
4. Frank Sinatra - Watertown vs. John Denver - Back Home Again

A-bop-bop-a-loom-op a-lop-bop-boom!
Rip it up!
Last edited by Brad on Tue May 12, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.11

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.11

Post by Rob »

Brad wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm Welcome to round 1.11 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!
This is round 1.10 actually.
Brad
Higher Ground

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.10

Post by Brad »

Rob wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Brad wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm Welcome to round 1.11 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!
This is round 1.10 actually.
That's what it says! lol - thanks!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Music For The Masses 84 - A Seat At The Table 82
Rest 92 - Semper Femina 90
A New World Record 82 - 23 78
Watertown 87 - Back Home Again 74
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

1. Solange - A Seat at the Table
2. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
3. Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
4. Frank Sinatra - Watertown
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Thank you!
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
2. TBA
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

DEPECHE MODE - MUSIC FOR THE MASSES
LAURA MARLING - SEMPER FEMINA
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA - A NEW WORLD RECORD
FRANK SINATRA - WATERTOWN
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

2. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
2. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest
3. Blonde Redhead - 23
4. Pass.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Solange - A Seat at the Table
Laura Marling - Semper Femina
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
John Denver - Back Home Again
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Good week with hard choices in the first two duels

Solange - A Seat at the Table vs. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest vs. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Blonde Redhead - 23
Frank Sinatra - Watertown vs. John Denver - Back Home Again
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

4. Solange - A Seat at the Table v. 3. Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses

1. Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest v. 2. Laura Marling - Semper Femina

6. ELO - A New World Record v. 7. Blonde Redhead - 23

5. Frank Sinatra - Watertown v. 8. John Denver - Back Home Again

Standout tracks (mostly obvious ones this week): Cranes in the Sky | Never Let Me Down Again | Deadly Valentine | Soothing | Livin' Thing | The Dress | Michael & Peter | The Music Is You
All I got inside is vacancy!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

23 and Semper Femina are two of my favorite discoveries of the tournament.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

23 was also a pleasing discovery for me, I'm surprised it is faring so poorly.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Nice that my nomination kind of lets us come to full circle. I first listened to 23 during the monthly game here two and a half years ago before
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

rumpdoll wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 am Nice that my nomination kind of lets us come to full circle. I first listened to 23 during the monthly game here two and a half years ago before
Which game was that? I do remember the album popping up on this forum before, but couldn't recall the context. I wasn't sure I ever listened to it, though I did here the title track before.
Myself
Let's Get It On

Post by Myself »

Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest
Blonde Redhead - 23
Frank Sinatra - Watertown
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

5. A Seat at the Table > 7. Music For The Masses
1. Rest > 2. Semper Femina
4. A New World Record < 3. 23
8. Watertown < 6. Back Home Again

Another solid week, the Sinatra album was the only weak link for me.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

7 | Solange | A Seat at the Table
3 | Depeche Mode | Music For The Masses

5 | Charlotte Gainsbourg | Rest
4 | Laura Marling | Semper Femina

6 | Electric Light Orchestra | A New World Record
2 | Blonde Redhead | 23

1 | Frank Sinatra | Watertown
8 | John Denver | Back Home Again

Favourite song of the week: Blonde Redhead | 23
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Solange and ELO I had listened to before, but they really clicked with me when I re-listened.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

A bit of a minor week for me.

8. Depeche Mode – Music for the Masses
Depeche Mode probably intended the title to be ironic or sarcastic, but the album became a big hit and the title came to confirm something I knew for a long time: I do not like music for the masses. This should come as no surprise to people who noticed my extremely low votes for all these Depeche Mode in the recent 80’s song poll. There are a lot of acts I don’t connect to but can understand what others see in them, but there are also a few acts were the praise baffles me completely. Depeche Mode definitely belongs to the latter.

It isn’t exactly in the worst-music-of-all-time category where I find the songs impossible to listen to. You can put Depeche Mode on in my presence without trouble, but do not expect any response either. The problem is that there is nothing here to connect to. Fans beware, but words the words that finally pop up in my mind as descriptors are “lifeless” and “soulless”. Only the voice by Dave Gahan seems to have anything resembling character, because it sounds naturally dark, but even he has no grit, no sense of that he lives in these songs. No wonder, because this band is oddly fond of repeating lyrics, adding to the feeling that there is no forward movement. The music is similarly slow and oddly stilted. When music has a lot of movement it can compensate by having atmosphere, but this the band have even less, sounding so incredibly robotic that Kraftwerk seem like Iggy and the Stooges. At the worst of times, like on Sacred, the band sounds completely inert. The best track here, opener Never Let Me Down Again (an empty promise, by the way), is the only time something seems to happen, but still less than on any other song in this week’s poll (and it has the equally unmoving Solange as competitor!). It all ends with Depeche Mode finally crawling out of their shells and making something different: Pimpf. This finally disqualifies them for all time, because this songs is so laughably awful that words fail me.

Yes, I know this is another time I feel like I should apologize to the fans. I know many, many people here and elsewhere love this band and more power to you. But I’m done with them. Well, not really, because they have another album in this poll…

7. Solange – A Seat at the Table
Showered with praise at release, currently ranking at #505 on the official AM list and making it into the decade top 10 in the recent End-of-Decade list, A Seat at the Table doesn’t feel “moderately acclaimed” to me and will surely be ineligible for this poll next year. That is not in the top 500 yet is probably because 2016 was an extremely competitive year for year-end lists.

Anyway, it is still eligible for this edition, so we have to make do. It is one of those albums you almost feel ashamed for not liking, as it immediately became as standard in representing the African American experience through music. And I don’t think this album is bad, but it is just doesn’t grip me. It has to do with the musical approach. Almost every song consist out of some repetitive beats with some instruments that are equally repetitive, all taking it rather slowly. Floating free over all this are Solange vocals, who don’t seem to pay any mind to the musical accompaniment at all. Instead she softly sings her reflections. The effect is kind of ethereal, but it doesn’t have the pull to me of that other ethereal genre: dream pop. In general I’m not fond of repetitive music and I have never developed a particular appreciation for beats, so this is a hard sell to me, especially since everything is slowed down here. To me it feels like the music is in stasis; there is no feeling of movement throughout most of the album. The way Solange’s vocals float in the ether without any clear connection to anything makes it hard for me to concentrate on what she has to say (plus it all sounds way to nice for lyrics this urgent). Even the only song that seems to have some forward trajectory, Cranes In the Sky, is too laid-back, too easygoing, to make any sort of impact. F.U.B.U. is the only song to me that comes close to having any power. I can somewhere see the appeal and importance of this album, but it is not for me.

On the bright side: it is up against Music for the Masses, so it still gets an easy victory from me.

6. Charlotte Gainsbourg – Rest
I’m now three times in listening to this (I heard it before in the year it was released) and slowly it begins to click. Rest is really let down by the for me by the not too happy decision to make the ultimate 80’s sounding album of the 2010’s. I make no secret for my deep distaste of last decade’s rampant over-use of the sound of eighties and it is hard to find an example as extreme as Rest. It’s like roughly 35 years of musical development didn’t happen. I seem to be alone in finding this troublesome, as the song that is the worst offender – Deadly Valentine – is also the most acclaimed. Needless to say, that is my least favorite song here. Still, below all that dated production are some good melodies that reveal themselves to be catchy enough to finally break through my cynicism. A few of them, like Kate and Sylvia Says, are quite good. Gainsbourg’s voice doesn’t sound naturally light, but she is able to convince me that it does.
Great actress by the way.

5. Blonde Redhead – 23
The title track is so great that I would love to vote for the whole album here, but that’s not how it works. Outside of that opener, a candidate for greatest dream pop song ever, this is mostly a decent album, with some other highlights (Dress and Silently) and a lot of song that are fine, but don’t leave that much of an impression. There are some interesting production choices here, mostly the pseudo-shoegaze fuzz, but they only get utilized to maximum effect every now and then. I simply love Kazu Makino’s voice, but sadly she isn’t the lead singer on every track and Amadeo Pace is hardly a fitting replacement. I would love to hear what else the band has done, as I feel there is a lot of promise here.

4. Frank Sinatra – Watertown
The guitars that open the first song made me sit up: “Did Frank Sinatra embrace rock so late in his career?” Not at all; it lasts a few seconds. Then it is back to the usual, sophisticated crooner music. Sinatra was one of the first artist to embrace the concept album, but Watertown is still a departure on that front. Whereas earlier albums where conceptual in mood and theme this one has an actual story of sorts, even if it is still told more through internal reflections than plot points. The story tells of a wife leaving her husband and kids; told from the perspective of the husband of course (an album sung by Sinatra from the perspective of the wife would be all kinds of interesting though). Apparently he worked with some young up and coming people and embraced a story-based concept to regain some of his appeal after his last few albums didn’t sell well. As a reinvention it is half-assed though as this sound like same old Blue Eyes. What doesn’t sound half-assed though is the performance, as Sinatra puts his heart in the songs. Although ‘story-wise’ the whole thing is emotional, it feels to me that the most moving stuff is near the end. Whereas I personally felt removed from the first half, albeit in an appreciative way, I felt myself being pulled in by Elizabeth and especially the wistful What a Funny Girl (You Used to Be), with the Train as a beautiful closure.

3. John Denver – Back Home Again
Now here is an album that shouldn’t work for me, but oddly does. Country music is not shy of nostalgia and local pride, but with John Denver that is all there is. Here is a man whose lyrics basically all revolve about being in love with the place you are born in, reflecting on your past with glasses of the purest pink and not seeing a problem on the horizon. The places John Denver describes don’t really exist and nobody can have a past quite so unscathed. This album is too naïve for me on a lyrical sense. It’s not that I need irony or cynicism for balance, but a sense that things are not always ideal would go a long way. Just take Matthew for example. The title character lives in total bliss (“Yes, and joy was just the thing that he was raised on/ Love is just the way to live and die”) until a storm kills his family and destroys his house and farm. This is the only dark moment on the album, but a second later there is salvation (“But he found a family Bible/ Faith as solid as a stone”) and uncle Matthew can immediately go on to live a blissful life again. Considering the death of a complete family has the impact of a visit to the dentist in this song you can bet that nothing else on this album is going to be particularly gritty.

As I said, this is not a view of life I can relate to in any way, but still the album works. Denver is nothing if not sincere. The way he sings about good times and the good old country life seems convincing, if only for the moments the album lasts. Here I am, someone born in a small town, a little bit of a country boy, who only felt at home when he finally moved to the city as a student and who never looked back. Here I am enjoying Thank God I’m a Country Boy, being moved by Matthew and thinking about being On the Road from home. It doesn’t always work: Grandma’s Feather Bed is almost the worst song of the week and may thank God that Depeche Mode put out Pimpf and Sacred to take that spot. Nonetheless, the gentle melodies and the warm voice go a long way to sell me on the album and twice it becomes transcendental: on the romantic classic Annie’s Song and on Sweet Surrender, the latter of which is the most accurate mission statement that any musician ever had.

2. Laura Marling – Semper Femina
I’ve been a long-time fan of Laura Marling and she has of yet to make a truly weak album, so it should come as no surprise that I should like one of her most acclaimed works. I do think it is somewhat sad that she moved on from lyrics that sketch character through storytelling to focus on more outspoken introspective lyrics (there is a reason I believe that I Speak Because I Can is still her greatest achievement), but there is no real reason to complain as she does this still very well. She has also grown in setting mood. This is perhaps her most spare sounding album, helping that slight feeling of desolation that we find in songs like Soothing, Nothing, Not Nearly and Wild Once for example. There are also no lesser tracks here: pure killer instead of filler.
Sad coincidence: if corona hadn’t happened I would have attended a Laura Marling concert this very week.

1. Electric Light Orchestra – A New World Record
In a week I find myself describing two albums as not having any forward momentum I am happy to find the exact polar opposite too: A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra. People love to compare them to The Beatles, but I’m always reminded of The Beach Boys. Same difference to some people perhaps and the band do name-check the Fab Four in Shangri-La, but there are so many tracks here that give me the feeling that Brian Wilson and company had fully embraced seventies excess: Telephone Line, So Fine, Livin’ Thing (which has a beach-ready swimming subtheme going on) and Do Ya. And that is a good thing.

ELO have never been a critical favorite and listening to this album again it is hard to see why. Sure their lyrics are meaningless, but they are also unpretentious. Sure they are excessive, but they are also celebratory and well put together. It’s basically prog that substitutes the epic pomp with a light touch. And A New World Record might well be their magnum opus. Sure Out of the Blue is bigger and has Mr. Blue Sky and I do remember that El Dorado is something else too (I need to return to that one), but A New World Record is a giddy celebration from start to finish. No filler, just good vibes and good music. A statement of music as pure joy, something that not that many bands can pull off.

A simple overview of my votes:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

25 hours left to vote!
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

1. Solange - A Seat at the Table vs. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses (Pimpf is one of my favourite tracks ever - it's immense! And Never Let Me Down Again was the best start to any concert I've been to - whirling dervish of a song - it is better live though. I'd class myself as Depeche fan, but weirdly I'd never heard this album in one go before.)
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

3. Blonde Redhead - 23
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

3. Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record - Blonde Redhead - 23
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Rob wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:30 am
rumpdoll wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 am Nice that my nomination kind of lets us come to full circle. I first listened to 23 during the monthly game here two and a half years ago before
Which game was that? I do remember the album popping up on this forum before, but couldn't recall the context. I wasn't sure I ever listened to it, though I did here the title track before.
That would have been viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5813
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

rumpdoll wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 am
Rob wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:30 am
That would have been viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5813
I don't think I have this one in mind, as it didn't figure in the final results. It must have been in one of the 29.424.399 song polls that have been on this forum in the last few years.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Still a half hour left to vote! (one of these is currently tied)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

23 total voters this week:
acroamor
Akhenaten
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
FrankLotion
Gillingham
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
madzong
mileswide
Myself
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Romain
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized
StevieFan13

Winners:
1. Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses over Solange - A Seat at the Table 13-9
2. Laura Marling - Semper Femina over Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest 12-8
3. Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Blonde Redhead - 23 12-11 (ot)
4. Frank Sinatra - Watertown over John Denver - Back Home Again 15-5

We have a TIE!
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Blonde Redhead - 23 ***Tie! 11-11!
Next vote from someone who has not already voted in this match-up wins!***

Round 1.11 up soon!
Last edited by Brad on Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Agree 100% with Rob on this one. "23" begins very high with the title track but the rest of the album is not as interesting. On the other hand "A New World Record" is great fun, one of my favourite albums of all time.
So... ELO!
Twilight58
Are You Experienced?

Post by Twilight58 »

Electric light orchestra- a new record
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Actually looks like Honorio was the tiebreaker! Either way, same result... ELO takes it!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”