Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.11

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.11

Post by Brad »

Welcome to round 1.11 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 26th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=473090

Match-ups:
1. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite vs. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. Dire Straits - Making Movies vs. Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves
3. Take That - Progress vs. Anna Meredith - FIBS
4. Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone vs. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me

Also, we have a TIE from last round!
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Blonde Redhead - 23 ***Tie! 11-11!
Next vote from someone who has not already voted in this match-up wins!***

Dance with the boogie, get down
Last edited by Brad on Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight58
Are You Experienced?

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.11

Post by Twilight58 »

Electric light orchestra - a new world record
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks Twilight58, and welcome to the machine!

ELO takes it 12-11 in OT!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. 1 | Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite vs. 2 | The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. 5 | Dire Straits - Making Movies vs. 6 | Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves
3. 8 | Take That - Progress vs. 3 | Anna Meredith - FIBS
4. 4 | Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone vs. 7 | The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

1 | Max Roach | We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
4 | The War on Drugs | A Deeper Understanding

3 | Dire Straits | Making Movies
8 | Rancid | And Out Come The Wolves

7 | Take That | Progress
2 | Anna Meredith | FIBS

5 | Lemon Demon | Spirit Phone
6 | The Beths | Future Me Hates Me

Favourite song of the week: Max Roach | Triptych: Prayer, Protest, Peace
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Match-ups:
1. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves
3. Anna Meredith - FIBS
4. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

1. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves
3. Take That - Progress
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite vs. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

1. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
2. Pass
3. Anna Meredith - FIBS
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

2. Dire Straits - Making Movies
3. Anna Meredith - FIBS
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

How are the bonus tracks of Spirit Phone handled? Usually I wouldn't ask, because bonus tracks are not part of the album proper so I don't take them under consideration for my votes, but according to both RYM and Discogs the bonus tracks are part of every version of Spirit Phone, which is unusual. So in a way they are part of the original release. But do we count them or do we stop after Spiral of Ants? It increases the album length by a large amount (13 songs!).
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Rob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:31 pm How are the bonus tracks of Spirit Phone handled? Usually I wouldn't ask, because bonus tracks are not part of the album proper so I don't take them under consideration for my votes, but according to both RYM and Discogs the bonus tracks are part of every version of Spirit Phone, which is unusual. So in a way they are part of the original release. But do we count them or do we stop after Spiral of Ants? It increases the album length by a large amount (13 songs!).
Great question! I've often wondered that same thing. Case in point: The latest The Weeknd album (After Hours)' deluxe version has three bonus tracks that enhance my listening pleasure IMHO.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Rdwdbob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Rob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:31 pm How are the bonus tracks of Spirit Phone handled? Usually I wouldn't ask, because bonus tracks are not part of the album proper so I don't take them under consideration for my votes, but according to both RYM and Discogs the bonus tracks are part of every version of Spirit Phone, which is unusual. So in a way they are part of the original release. But do we count them or do we stop after Spiral of Ants? It increases the album length by a large amount (13 songs!).
Great question! I've often wondered that same thing. Case in point: The latest The Weeknd album (After Hours)' deluxe version has three bonus tracks that enhance my listening pleasure IMHO.
I'm not really thinking about albums that have expanded or deluxe editions. In such cases I don't consider the bonus tracks as part of the album I'm voting for (regardless of whether the bonus tracks are good or not). Spirit Phone, though, is a rare case where the bonus tracks have always been there in every edition.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

A Deeper Understanding 83 - We Insist! Freedom Now Suite 78
And Out Come The Wolves 74 - Making Movies 67
FIBS 75 - Progress 63
Future Me Hates Me 84 - Spirit Phone 74
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Rob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:15 pm
Rdwdbob wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:50 pm
I'm not really thinking about albums that have expanded or deluxe editions. In such cases I don't consider the bonus tracks as part of the album I'm voting for (regardless of whether the bonus tracks are good or not). Spirit Phone, though, is a rare case where the bonus tracks have always been there in every edition.
My feeling is that if the artist calls them bonus tracks then they don't think of them as belonging to the album itself.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I agree - exclude bonus tracks.

Realizing Rob's claim that all editions of this release have bonus tracks, I'm curious - does it make a difference whether they are included in your assessment or not?
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I generally feel this way, but I'll be making an exception for the new HAIM album. For some inscrutable reason, they're putting all three of the 2019 singles - Summer Girl, Hallelujah, Now I'm in It - on but listing them only as bonus tracks.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

They are bonus tracks - on Bandcamp I believe they aren't actually available unless you buy the album. They're also listed as such, and very different from the rest of the album - an archival list in alphabetical order rather than anything worked properly into an album order.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Also, there's a hint in the music itself - the ending of Spiral of Ants starts to replicate the beginning of Lifetime Achievement Award, as if the album is going to start all over again.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Safetycat wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 am Also, there's a hint in the music itself - the ending of Spiral of Ants starts to replicate the beginning of Lifetime Achievement Award, as if the album is going to start all over again.
Sadly, this effect is completely lost if every release continues on with the bonus tracks...

But I agree to not count them. And to answer Brad's question: yes, to me it matters. Maybe not specifically for this particular match-up, what with Future Me Hates Me being one of my nominations, but Spirit Phone is a good example of an album I like, but doesn't have a style I can listen to for too long. An hour is fine, 105 minutes is too much. It would start to work against the album, regardless of the quality of the songs.
Myself
Let's Get It On

Post by Myself »

2. Dire Straits - Making Movies
3. Anna Meredith - FIBS
4. Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Anna Meredith - FIBS
Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

100% with Bang Jan about the song of the week, unreal vocal performance:

1. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite v. 8. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
7. Dire Straits - Making Movies v. 4. Rancid - ...And out Come the Wolves
5. Take That - Progress v. 2. Anna Meredith - FIBS
6. Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone v. 3. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me

Standout tracks: Triptych: Prayer, Protest, Peace | Nothing to Find | Skateaway | Time Bomb | Wait | Ribbons | Spiral of Ants | Great No One
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

THE WAR ON DRUGS - A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING
DIRE STRAITS - MAKING MOVIES
TAKE THAT - PROGRESS
LEMON DEMON - SPIRIT PHONE
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

8. We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite < 5. A Deeper Understanding
4. Making Movies < 3. ...And Out Come The Wolves
6. Progress > 7. FIBS
1. Spirit Phone > 2. Future Me Hates Me

Spirit Phone - Big personal connection here. Lemon Demon were one of the first bands I really got into, thanks to my friend who gave me a cd of songs for a birthday as a young teen. They kind of faded out but I always enjoyed Neil's work. And then in 2016 a new album came out, and it was like my childhood grew up with me. It was made for me really - the 80's sound, the stories of science fiction and conspiracy, and the energetic sound. This and the three Mouth mashup albums really defined the mid-2010s for me.

The Beths - This is amazing, and I'm totally fine that it's probably going to beat Spirit Phone. How I hadn't heard it before I have no idea.

Rancid - Was expecting something more unpleasant from the name and instead got the sequel to the Clash. A very good sequel, too.

Making Movies - The one album of theirs I'm not super familiar with, however it's the album with my favourite Straits song (Romeo and Juliet). It's very good.

A Deeper Understanding - Maybe should be higher but it had less staying power than the rest. In the moment it's fantastic though.

Progress - I like and respect it. Really solid.

FIBS - Alright, I enjoy it but not my favourite type of music.

Max Roach - I wish I appreciated jazz more.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

23 hours left to vote... thanks!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Amazing week. The top 3 is absurdly good and the three that follow would be stand-outs in a normal week too. And there is nothing I actively dislike.

8. Take That – Progress
Perhaps the Americans among us didn’t notice, but I remember this being a very big deal in 2010 (although I’d swear it was only 5 years or so ago): Robbie Williams returns to Take That for a new album. There was a lot of press coverage, even among those press that didn’t write about music or even the gossip side of things. Despite this, I don’t think the music really caught on. The singles seemed to disappear from the airwaves quickly, at least around here.

I never listened to the album before, but it is interesting to get into it freshly. Or at least it is interesting in theory, the album itself really isn’t. It is decent pop, but not particularly catchy, memorable or, well anything. I mildly like The Flood and Wait. I mildly don’t like Kidz and actively dislike Affirmation (Mark Owen is a terrible singer). The remaining songs just exist. I think I know why this didn’t end up as part of the collective consciousness, in contrast to Back for Good or Robbie William’s solo work from the late 90’s/ early 00’s.

7. Lemon Demon – Spirit Phone
One of those albums that straddles the sometimes very thin line between the annoying and the great. It doesn’t quite become either of the two. It all has a very jokey feel that combined with the relentless up-tempo music becomes close to exhausting at 60 minutes (let alone 105 minutes if you also listen to the bonus tracks). It feels a bit like being trapped with a group of hyperactive jokesters for an hour. At least they are sympathetic jokesters with frequently good humor. I can’t deny that there is fun here and that the songs are memorable. I wish it was a little better produced, though. Although catchy, it almost surprised me to learn that this is an actual band with instruments, as the sound reminds me more of someone crunching out computerized versions of real instruments with second-rate software. Kind of surprised that something by someone who is most known for his mash-up albums can’t get a better sound out of it. I do feel somewhat conflicted about this whole album as I think there is something great there, but it ends up more as an album I want to like than perhaps I do. It’s likeable for sure, but that only gets you so far. Too bad, since after Touch-Tone Telephone appeared in Biggest Fan I had some high hopes for this, but that is the best song here. Maybe it’s a grower or something that needs the right mood, who knows.

6. Rancid - …And Out Come the Wolves
The logo of this band was on a lot of boys’ shirts when I grew up, so by extension I assumed that I must have heard a lot of their songs back in the day, even if I couldn’t quite recall which were theirs. After listening to …And Out Come the Wolves I can only say that I didn’t recognize any of this, so perhaps all my contemporaries were fan of this band but made sure not to play their music around me?

Anyway, for some reason I was surprised with how good this was. Punchy, raging punk with a touch of reggae here and there. If I say they sound like The Clash for the nineties I’m not original, although it is just a very apt description. This is a good example of a band that isn’t particularly innovative, but just execute their songs so well and brings so much passion and soul to their rage that it doesn’t matter. The only minor downside is that I personally feel that punk works best in smaller doses. Like Smash a few weeks ago I felt myself tiring of it all a bit in de last fifteen minutes or so, although in this case I didn’t notice a drop in quality.

5. Dire Straits – Making Movies
Let’s get one song out of the way: album closer Les Boys is unfortunate. Not only does it fall out of step with the previous songs simply on a musical level, it is also somewhat homophobic. Not in a particular nasty way, but more in the same way how a stand-up comedian of old or a sitcom would try to pour humor out of gay lifestyles simply because it is just a little too unusual and unfamiliar for them. In that way Les Boys perhaps feels like a real product of its time, one that hasn’t aged well.

Outside of that, this might actually be the best Dire Straits album, even if I – as little bit of a fan of the band – think they never made a record that is a full-on masterpiece. I feel like this one fares best because outside of that closer this feels the most as one piece and it never gets anonymous (like a couple of times on the self-titled debut) or cheesy (like a few tracks on Brothers in Arms). In a way, opening track Tunnel of Love sets the tone for what follows: rather long, extensive tracks that foreground the joy of playing an instrument. That is no mean feat for Dire Straits, as Mark Knopfler can sometimes seem too much of an individualist to belong in a band, but not here. Of course, Knopfler’s guitar style is so recognizable that it will always overtake an album somewhat, but this time around I feel there is more than that. I notice other instruments more. Besides that, this song contains perhaps the best example of Knopfler’s talent as a storyteller. He didn’t show it in too many songs, preferring lyrics that are more about setting a scene than filling it with character, but Romeo and Juliet is a strong, poetic parody of the Shakespeare story, full of wit and earned melancholy. It’s one of their best.

4. The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
It’s always a curious moment when you catch yourself doing something unconsciously and this week I had a good example of that. Somewhere along Strangest Thing I was overtaken by the music and my hands slowly reached up, as if I was gently trying to grab the air around me in a moment of calm yet profound ecstasy. Then I suddenly became self-aware again and looked to my left, where there is a big ground-floor window were people could easily see me act like an idiot. Luckily nobody was around.

Still, it goes to show that special magic that I find in that particular run of three songs on A Deeper Understanding: Pain, Holding On and Stranger Thing together feel to me like a subtly powerful suite that works towards a sort of transcendent state. I don’t know if I like this album as much as Lost in the Dream, but I know I feel that this three song series is their finest moment. Indeed, maybe it is there they live up to the promise of their previous album title: this is lost in the dream, indeed.

Alas, the complete album doesn’t completely live up to it. For the third time this week the problem is one of length, I don’t think The War on Drugs manage to convince me this needs to be 66 minutes. A lot of the songs start to sound a bit the same, making the best versions of that sound feel less unique. Of course, there are some other great tracks here. Thinking of a Place is the obvious one, but there is also Clean Living, which even amongst an album that basically consist of ballads manages to feel like a real ballad. But do we really need In Chains? Or Nothing to Find (Mileswide seems to think so)? I feel like a version of this album cut back to about 40 minutes could have been one of the most unexpected spiritual records of the decade. Despite all this, though, I can’t dismiss that I kind of love this album and maybe the remaining songs will grow on me. All the songs I already love here I had to grow into too.

3. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
Indeed, they insist! This is some of the most forceful jazz I have ever heard. It didn’t need words to make clear that things were political here. Nonetheless, politics are made clear everywhere: on the album title, on the magnificent album cover (one for the current poll!) and indeed in the lyrics, deliver like a shockwave to the system by Abbey Lincoln. This album actually precedes the official Civil Rights Movement, but feels like part of it and as one of it’s highlight. Roach and company don’t make things sound easy, but the struggle for equality isn’t easy and they are always engaging. Even for someone like me who is still a relative jazz newbie it is obvious that this is a major work.

2. The Beths – Future Me Hates Me
My own nomination. I bet I am the only the one on this forum for whom this the most listened album of 2018! Yes, I know I voted for Ty Segall’s Freedom’s Goblin and Julia Holter’s Aviary as my favorites of the year and I stand by that, but those two are very long and therefore don’t have the same on-repeat value of this 38 minute bundle of wry joy. So while everyone was listening to Dirty Computer, Joy As an Act of Resistance, Golden Hour, Be the Cowboy and El mal querer for their more uptempo pop fix I felt like bouncing around to this piece of upbeat self-deprecation. By now every song here, still unknown to the world at large, has worked its way into my brain and my very being in the same way all of Micheal Jackson’s Thriller has become engrained in the public consciousness. It’s funny how that works sometimes. In sound it isn’t a particularly original take on indie rock, with its crunchy yet light guitar-led sound and accessible melodies. But there is something in the way Elizabeth Stokes sings these genuinely funny songs of mistakes that are made that just connects with me. It is recognizable stuff, told with the knowledge that sometimes those moments that will give us the most embarrassment or hassle are also the ones that give us the most joy. It’s one of those rare things: a low-key, unassertive masterpiece.

1. Anne Meredith – FIBS
Well, I only wrote about this album four months ago during the Moderately Acclaimed Album of 2019 poll and most of it still stands, so I post it here again, with a few tweaks:

“It starts with Sawbones, a track that keeps building and building into a frenzy and an even bigger frenzy. It ends with the gentle Unfurl, on which Meredith sings in a voice that sounds a lot like Julia Holter. In the middle we have a deep exploration of a sound. Anna Meredith sounds like a kid in a toybox exploring everything electronic music can do. It turns out she has a background in classical music, which might explain the easy way she changes style, tempo, and instruments, as well as the many layers her music possess. Most songs are loud and with great speed. I’m convinced that Bump played on higher volumes has the power to crush able-bodied men. In between there are some gentler, but no less captivating tracks. Vocals and lyrics are used sparingly, but are effective. The best of all: Anna Meredith has decided to release these songs so others can delight in her joy for music.”

A couple of months on and this one has remained with me. I love every song here and I wouldn’t mind this one winning the whole game.

A simple overview of my votes:
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

half hour left - right now there is a tie!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

16 voters this week:
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
Cold Butterfly
DaveC
FrankLotion
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
madzong
mileswide
Myself
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
StevieFan13

Winners:
1. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding over Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite 9-8
2. Dire Straits - Making Movies over Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves 10-7
3. Anna Meredith - FIBS over Take That - Progress 16-3
4. The Beths - Future Me Hates Me over Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone 10-7

Round 1.12 is next!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I was thinking Max Roach was winning this easily, but somehow didn't consciously notice how in the second half of the votes the tide turned against him. Curious to see that development.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

My picks don't do too well historically but great to see a decent turnout for Spirit Phone :)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”