Acclaimed Music's Best Debut Albums of All-Time

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Acclaimed Music's Best Debut Albums of All-Time

Post by Holden »

Hello! Seeing all of the discussion regarding the best debut singles of all time, I decided to go into the AM list and find the best debut albums of all-time, which is a pretty mammoth task! So I decided to go yeay by year and post the results here as I go!

Acclaimed Music's Best Debut Albums of All-Time:
Rank (Overall AM Rank) | Artist | Album (Year)
Year Lists:

1 (429) | Courtney Barnett | Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
2 (460) | Jamie xx | In Colour
3 (880) | Vince Staples | Summertime '06
4 (1627) | Viet Cong | Viet Cong
5 (1856) | Natalie Prass | Natalie Prass
6 (2164) | Mbongwana Star | From Kinshasa
7 (2390) | Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment feat. Jamila Woods | Surf
8 (2483) | Floating Points | Elaenia
9 (2588) | Algiers | Algiers
10 (2626) | Tobias Jesso Jr. | Goon
11 (2922) | Shamir | Ratchet

1 (901) | ANOHNI | Hopelessness
2 (1798) | Kaytranada | 99.9%
3 (2116) | Whitney | Light Upon the Lake
4 (2283) | Kate Tempest | Let Them Eat Chaos
5 (2523) | Margo Price | Midwest Farmer's Daughter
6 (2953) | Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs | case/lang/veirs

1 (759) | SZA | Ctrl
2 (1107) | Sampha | Process
3 (1306) | Kelela | Take Me Apart
4 (2217) | Moses Sumney | Aromanticism
5 (2747) | Cigarettes After Sex | Cigarettes After Sex
6 (2794) | Priests | Nothing Feels Natural
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Acclaimed Music's Best Debut Albums of All-Time

Post by Harold »

Should Hopelessness be considered a debut album? It's obviously ANOHNI's first release under that name, but she has a whole prior history.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Harold wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 pm Should Hopelessness be considered a debut album? It's obviously ANOHNI's first release under that name, but she has a whole prior history.
I feel like a solo discography and band discography should be considered separate for this list
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Kate Tempest's Everybody Down came before the excellent Let Them Eat Chaos, right?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jackson wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 am Kate Tempest's Everybody Down came before the excellent Let Them Eat Chaos, right?
Yup, 2014 and 2016 respectively
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Holden wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm Hello! Seeing all of the discussion regarding the best debut singles of all time,
Where is that?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Hymie wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 am
Holden wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm Hello! Seeing all of the discussion regarding the best debut singles of all time,
Where is that?
In the Critics Lists under RS's list.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm
This is stretching definitions of a debut to the widest possible angle. A one-time (?) collaboration of three people with extensive solo careers seems a bit much to call a debut, especially since they didn't even pick a band name. By that definition is Under Pressure a debut single by Queen and David Bowie?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Rob wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:55 am
This is stretching definitions of a debut to the widest possible angle. A one-time (?) collaboration of three people with extensive solo careers seems a bit much to call a debut, especially since they didn't even pick a band name. By that definition is Under Pressure a debut single by Queen and David Bowie?
Okay question: would you say that Crosby Stills & Nash is the debut album or the band Crosby Stills or Nash or would you say it doesn’t count as a debut? Not trying to be sly or anything legitimately asking. Upon researching further it seems as though most sources credit the band as having the name of case/Lang/Veirs as opposed to just their names, so this feels like it has a similar supergroup band idea to CS&N, which means that I would consider it a debut. But legitimately wonderihn your thougths
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Holden wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 pm
Okay question: would you say that Crosby Stills & Nash is the debut album or the band Crosby Stills or Nash or would you say it doesn’t count as a debut? Not trying to be sly or anything legitimately asking. Upon researching further it seems as though most sources credit the band as having the name of case/Lang/Veirs as opposed to just their names, so this feels like it has a similar supergroup band idea to CS&N, which means that I would consider it a debut. But legitimately wonderihn your thougths
While it is techinaclly a debut, I consider a debut album for an artist as the first album from the artist regardless of project
Edre the Depeche Head
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:04 pm
The thing with supergroups is that the whole concept is based on the idea that they are all already well-respected veterans. Stills was with Buffalo Springfield, Crosby with The Byrds and Nash with The Hollies and they were significant contributors there. It depends all in how you interpret the word "debut", but I tend to think of it as the real career start. I guess that with lists based around this I tend to think about artist who had the most remarkable first album or song of all time and the idea that you compare the effort of a real first-timer with artists who have twenty years of experience in another set-up seems to me to defeat the point.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”