Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.16

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.16

Post by Brad »

Welcome to round 1.16 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2020, the final installment of Round One!
Thanks so much for all of you who've stuck with us so far... participation has been great!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = June 30th at 10am EST.
I should warn you that I will be on vacation next week so deadline might be delayed to some later time during the day.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=473090

Match-ups:
1. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour vs. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
2. Konono Nº1 - Congotronics vs. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
3. Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie vs. Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion
4. Model 500 - Deep Space vs. The Shins - Port Of Morrow

Come on and take a free ride!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 11 - Round 1.16

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. 4 | Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour vs. 3 | The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
2. 2 | Konono Nº1 - Congotronics vs. 1 | Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
3. 8 | Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie vs. 7 | Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion
4. 5 | Model 500 - Deep Space vs. 6 | The Shins - Port Of Morrow
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
2. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
3. Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Both albums from the second match-up are on my AT list.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

First match-up is brutal. Gonna vote against my own pick and I hate it but I also know who I'd declare the winner there.

3. Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
4. The Shins - Port Of Morrow
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

4 | Kacey Musgraves | Golden Hour
2 | The Smiths | Hatful of Hollow

1 | Konono Nº1 | Congotronics
6 | Sturgill Simpson | A Sailor's Guide to Earth

8 | Alanis Morissette | Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
3 | Depeche Mode | Songs Of Faith And Devotion

7 | Model 500 | Deep Space
5 | The Shins | Port Of Morrow

Favourite song of the week: The Smiths | How Soon is Now?
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

3. Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion
4. Model 500 - Deep Space
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Match-ups:
1. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
2. Pass
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Golden Hour 87 - Hatful of Hollow 84
A Sailor’s Guide To Earth 82 - Congotronics 73
Songs Of Faith And Devotion 92 - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie 67
Port Of Morrow 86 - Deep Space 78

I like Jagged Little Pill and I think Hands Clean from her third album is a great track. The one in between doesn’t really have standout singles and is most memorable for a video where she’s naked in various public places.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

3. Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie vs. Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion

80s Depeche Mode had some good singles, but the albums tend to fall flat for me. Turns out they had better album in them that I never got around to hearing before.
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I can't speak for the others but

DEPECHE MODE - SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION

I am familiar with the Alanis one but Depeche is far better
Edre the Depeche Head
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

THE SMITHS - HATFUL OF HOLLOW (very tough decision to vote against Kacey)
STURGILL STIMSON - A SAILOR'S GUIDE TO EARTH
DEPECHE MODE - SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION
THE SHINS - PORT OF MORROW
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

3. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow v. 8. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
1. Konono Nº1 - Congotronics v. 7. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
4. Alanis Morrisette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie v. 6. Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
2. Model 500 - Deep Space v. 5. The Shins - Port of Morrow

Standout tracks: Still Ill | Lonely Weekend | Paradiso | Call to Arms | Thank U | I Feel You | Astralwerks | Pariah King
All I got inside is vacancy!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
Konono Nº1 - Congotronics
Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
Model 500 - Deep Space
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

1. Golden Hour > 3. Hatful of Hollow
4. Congotronics < 2. A Sailor's Guide to Earth
6 .Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie < 5. Songs Of Faith And Devotion
8. Deep Space < 7. Port Of Morrow

Top 4 are excellent, others less so. Fairly clear cut this week.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

8. Depeche Mode – Songs of Faith and Devotion
So, the second appearance by Depeche Mode this year and by now we have established that I don’t like this band. This album already appeared in this very game a couple of years ago and although I don’t recall if I already wrote something about it back than I want to focus on something else for now. The thing is, compared to Music for the Masses Songs of Faith and Devotion comes far closer to being a good album for me, but it still fails. It does reveal somewhat better the problem for me, though.

This is thanks to two songs, the two best of the album. The first is I Feel You, perhaps the best thing I know by them. It is the only one I can think of were their sound somehow works in setting the right mood. In here, the band creates something dark and shimmering, but also full of longing. The sound feels textured, like this guy really is in some dark place, holding on to a connection that might be there or not. Then we go to the next song, with me expections raised. But quickly in Walking in My Shoes I have to admit that this just isn’t it. Perhaps because it comes after I Feel You it becomes more obvious what is wrong: this song just doesn’t feel finished to me. And that is a feeling I have with almost every song Depeche Mode has ever made. There is something about these songs that makes me want to ask “Alright, return to me once you have finished the song”. This is an odd criticism, perhaps completely nonsensical to the fans, but I finally came to the conclusion that all these songs sound like demos to me. Like it needs another layer, another instrument, another vocal, just anything. There is an emptiness here that refuses to be filled.

Except on One Caress, the second song that reveals the failings of this album to me. There is a violin and suddenly things sound more complete. Not that I would suggest that all these songs would be improved by adding more strings, but in this case it helps to make the song feel finished. When listening to Songs of Faith and Devotion I hear good melodies, but not performed all that well. I actually thought this album could be saved if they just let another band perform these same songs, but I don’t know which band. I admit that the voice of Dave Gahan puts me off too. Again, I find it hard to explain why, as I usually like these deep voices, but there is something about his voice that makes me want to turn it off. He sounds especially poor on the ballads, like Condemnation and he is the main reason I still don’t end up caring for One Caress, despite the violins.

In the end I perhaps haven’t been able to put my finger completely on what it is that makes me reject Depeche Mode, nor why other people like this so much. But I feel like I’m closer to understand my problem with this band. Maybe one day I will truly get it, but then again I don’t have much interest in visiting this band ever again. There isn’t that much point in continuously returning to a band you clearly don’t care for.

7. Alanis Morissette – Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
There is a common mistake made by artists when they just have had a big success: to go bigger in their next work. In music this frequently means that a hit album is followed by a very long one. As is the case here. This is too bad, because I feel a tighter record of about 45 minutes might have pulled this one up in this ranking.

Still, I have a soft spot for Morissette, although that is mostly thanks to Jagged Little Pill. There is still quite a lot here that reminds me of why I fell in love in the first place, though. Morissette has one of those great voices that isn’t afraid to go ugly. There is something uninhabited to her that elevates these songs over the sometimes clumsy wording (I mean, that clunky title that refuses to roll of the tongue does come from a song here). In many hands a sappy song like Thank U (also with choice lines as “How about those transparent, dangling carrots”) would be unbearable, but there is something in her earthy, unembellished phrasing that completely sells the sentiments. I love that song probably beyond good reason. It is typical of the best material here, the ones that find the best outlet for her vocals. You can easily love or hate her, but can anybody really deny that her delivery is unique?

6. The Shins – Port of Morrow
I don’t have a deep knowledge of The Shins, outside of their most famous songs. Apparently Port of Morrow is a latter-day work from a band past it’s prime. Perhaps. I think it is actually pretty solid, with a couple of engaging tunes. I do have to say though that only a few tracks transcend the album as a whole. The first two tracks in particular are great and the closer is suitably epic. I don’t think I’ll recall this album within a year from now, but as works from bands past their prime go this is pretty good.

5. Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
This one appeared in the right week. When I was listening to this just now it was 30 degrees Celsius outside, a humid air was hanging in my room, with only a slight cool wind blowing through the open window. It’s the time for a slow burn.

Golden Hour is one of those albums I think is more than fine, but don’t quite get the hype from. It’s a nice, summery, relaxed, pop album with a country twang, but nothing about this strikes me as particularly creative or unique. Before this Musgraves was the reverse, a country artist with a pop edge and in that scene she stood out more, with her friendly rebellious attitude. Within pop she stands out less. The first single I heard from this album was High Horse and I remember being deeply disappointed that somebody with a voice as beautiful as hers would resort to autotune. I still don’t like that song. Otherwise, these are mostly cute ballads with a pleasant vibe.

I should add that although this album isn’t going to make my All-Time list anytime soon it did grow on me over time and especially this week. There is something pleasant about this, especially when listening in the Summer. I suppose you could put this on in December too, but isn’t that a bit like going skiing in July? Musgraves has something likable about her, her delivery makes you want to be in her company. There is also nothing here that feels like filler; it is a cohesive album with a coherent vibe and that is the main thing I look for in an album.

4. Model 500 – Deep Space
Apparently this sounded really futuristic in 1995. It certainly still sounds like a vision of the future now, but in the same way the theremin does now: an idea of a future that is still to come, but also already sounds dated. That is not to say that Deep Space is not a good album. I enjoyed it a lot, actually. The title captures well why, because despite this being a rather danceable album with a steady beat, it is also appealingly spacey and atmospheric. In that way, even people who don’t dance, like me, can enjoy this. At it’s best it seems indeed like we are exploring deep space, while showing off our moves at the same time.

3. The Smiths – Hatful of Follow
The strange thing about The Smiths is that I rarely if ever want to listen to them, but almost always end up liking them when it I do. There is something in the complaint in Morrisey’s voice that I’m never in advance in the mood for, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t work.

This is an odd album, sometimes filed as a compilation, since pretty much everything here had been released before. But since most of these tracks appear here in alternative versions it apparently still counts as an album. For better or worse, that feeling that you are listening to a collection of singles is very apparent. It is not their most cohesive work and does not have the flow of especially The Queen Is Dead. On the other hand, this isn’t just a collection of singles, but a collection of great singles, so if you even have moderate appreciation of The Smiths you’re probably going to have a good time. Indeed, there are major artists with expansive careers that got Greatest Hits discs with less essential material. Whether you prefer the re-recordings over the original is a matter of taste, but none seem bad to me. In fact, I like this version of This Charming Man more than the single, of which I never saw the appeal.

2. Konono N°1 – Congotronics
When this came out it apparently drew quite some attention and Congotronics ranks at #2094 on AM, so I should have known about it and can’t really call it a hidden treasure. Still, this came quite unexpected for me and it does feel like one of these oddities that pop up in this game every now and then, usually in the third or fourth bracket of the week.

So this is a band from the Congo who were traditional street musicians who filled up the limitations of their sounds with electronics. What’s interesting is that you can still very clearly hear that these are street musicians from origins. While listening to this I expected to hear the sound of cars passing by any minute. It is a rough, unpolished sound that barely exists in electronic music, which tends to be very clean and polished by its very nature. The clash between the spontaneous feel of the performers and the clear electronics make for a sound that I have never heard before and never even considered existing. It almost sounds like a bad idea on paper, but this is such spirited, lively music that any doubts are dispelled in mere seconds. With the exception of perhaps the Taraf de Haidouks album I brought to this game (also by traditional street performers by the way), this is this year’s most celebratory, free-spirited album. Too bad I can’t vote for it, because it is up against:

1. Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor’s Guide to Earth
Whereas I felt that Kacey Musgraves’ poppification of her country sound resulted in a diminished identity, Sturgill Simpson’s rockification of his country roots actually results in his best album yet. Not in the least because despite the definitive hard rock sound you can still feel the country in this album’s DNA. Like a lot of great country albums there is a simplicity at the heart that might be corny: this album is a tribute to Simpson’s newborn song, with some life’s lessons. Whether the son will indeed follow the advice you’ll find herein remains to be seen, especially since kids like to actively distance themselves from their parent’s music at a certain age. Then again, not many kids have parents that make music this good. This album plain rocks, while at the same time it is a touching ode to youth and to life. Brace for Impact might be country rock’s most life affirming song.

A simple overview of my votes:

So here ends the first round. Question: What happened to all those post-punk albums? Last year they were everywhere, but this time there are none.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks: Smith’s, sturgill Simpson, Depeche Mode, shins
There will be a delay today in results due to limited internet access!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Quick tally winners:
The Smiths over Kasey Musgraves by 5
Sturgill Simpson over Konono Nº1 by 7
Depeche Mode over Alanis Morisette by 6
Shins over Model 500 by 5

Guys - I'd like to take a break before resuming with Round 2. I simply don't have the time to do this right right now. I will resume with Round 2.1 next Tuesday, 7/7 at our usual time. Thanks!
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Brad wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm Quick tally winners:
The Smiths over Kasey Musgraves by 5
Sturgill Simpson over Konono Nº1 by 7
Depeche Mode over Alanis Morisette by 6
Shins over Model 500 by 5

Guys - I'd like to take a break before resuming with Round 2. I simply don't have the time to do this right right now. I will resume with Round 2.1 next Tuesday, 7/7 at our usual time. Thanks!
No worries Brad. Gives me more time to re-listen to the Round 2 albums. Looking forward to it!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

OK. Officially -
20 total voters during the week:
acroamor
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
Edre Peraza
FrankLotion
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
LunarPiper
madzong
mileswide
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized
StevieFan13

Winners:
1. The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow over Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour 12-7
2. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth over Konono Nº1 - Congotronics 12-5
3. Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith And Devotion over Alanis Morissette - Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie 12-6
4. The Shins - Port Of Morrow over Model 500 - Deep Space 10-5

On to Round 2!
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

Could someone tell me what albums are moderately acclaimed?
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Arsalan wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 pm Could someone tell me what albums are moderately acclaimed?
Hi Arsalan. Any album not ranked in the AM top 500 is eligible for this tournament. "Moderately Acclaimed" may be a misnomer at this point, as we originally included only acclaimed albums not in the top 500; we've long since expanded the field.

Participants can nominate albums during the nomination period, which usually occurs in December-February each year (this is our 11th year!). The tournament starts in March. Anyone can participate!
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

Brad wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Arsalan wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:12 pm Could someone tell me what albums are moderately acclaimed?
Hi Arsalan. Any album not ranked in the AM top 500 is eligible for this tournament. "Moderately Acclaimed" may be a misnomer at this point, as we originally included only acclaimed albums not in the top 500; we've long since expanded the field.

Participants can nominate albums during the nomination period, which usually occurs in December-February each year (this is our 11th year!). The tournament starts in March. Anyone can participate!
Cool! And this is the 11th year,WOW!That's a huge accomplishment,I wasn't even going to school 11 years ago.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”