Panic at the Disco’s Brendon Urie shreds Trump campaign for playing 'High Hopes'

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Re: Panic at the Disco’s Brendon Urie shreds Trump campaign for playing 'High Hopes'

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Good for him
Edre the Depeche Head
Myself
Let's Get It On

Re: Panic at the Disco’s Brendon Urie shreds Trump campaign for playing 'High Hopes'

Post by Myself »

5 more months ... (Still seems like forever.)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Good, Trump's a fucking cancer on this world.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Every sensible artist has condemned Trump for ever using their music. We need that asshole out of office.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

It's kind of funny, because I think of that song as artistically worthless -- it sounds like it was written as part of a soundtrack for Gatorade commercials, by a musical mercenary. But I guess everyone has their limits.

During the '80s polls, I had pondered changing my monthly avatar to the Art of the Deal book cover. Conceptually, it would have been appropriate (the '80s have given us different legacies, not just good ones; I first saw Trump ever as an '80s kid; he's referenced in '80s releases or projects like Back to the Future II, Gremlins 2, Prince's song for the Time "Donald Trump [Black Version]"). But then, consider that FUCK THAT GUY FOREVER.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

As a wise man once said, Fuck Donald Trump.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

My take on this is one of dumbfounded resignation.
My whole body and mind prays and hopes that he will be kicked out of office unceremoniously by the masses (although there are very fundamental questions on what will happen between the 3rd of November and 20th of January...)

But there is a very real voice telling me that he will be reelected. Unfortunately this forum is not a typical sample of the US electorate. I didn't sleep in November 2016 during election night and I watched in horror the Brexit vote going the wrong way.
Now I am resigned that human stupidity and intolerance seem to have taken over. But in the off chance that he is soundly beaten, I'll party with everyone.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

spiritualized wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 am My take on this is one of dumbfounded resignation.
My whole body and mind prays and hopes that he will be kicked out of office unceremoniously by the masses (although there are very fundamental questions on what will happen between the 3rd of November and 20th of January...)

But there is a very real voice telling me that he will be reelected. Unfortunately this forum is not a typical sample of the US electorate. I didn't sleep in November 2016 during election night and I watched in horror the Brexit vote going the wrong way.
Now I am resigned that human stupidity and intolerance seem to have taken over. But in the off chance that he is soundly beaten, I'll party with everyone.
I’m scared too, but I’m taking solace in the fact that Biden is a lot more popular than Clinton ever was, and that nobody is going to underestimate Trump this time. I think Trump could win, but I also think Biden is the favorite.

But there’s four long months to go until we find out for sure...
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

There are rumors now that Trump may resign rather than taking a beating in the election, attempting to martyr himself.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Hymie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm There are rumors now that Trump may resign rather than taking a beating in the election, attempting to martyr himself.
It would be interesting to see, but I think the man is such a huge narcissist that he has to continue, he can’t drop out and be seen as a “quitter”.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm
spiritualized wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 am My take on this is one of dumbfounded resignation.

I’m scared too, but I’m taking solace in the fact that Biden is a lot more popular than Clinton ever was, and that nobody is going to underestimate Trump this time. I think Trump could win, but I also think Biden is the favorite.

People my generation were holding out on Biden for a while because a lot of folks were attached to Bernie (I liked Warren myself), but now I think it's clearer what's at stake and they're sucking it up because getting Trump out of office is the most important thing.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:47 pm
Hymie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 pm There are rumors now that Trump may resign rather than taking a beating in the election, attempting to martyr himself.
It would be interesting to see, but I think the man is such a huge narcissist that he has to continue, he can’t drop out and be seen as a “quitter”.
Question is, what if Pence runs? Then we'd have a problem.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:18 pm Question is, what if Pence runs? Then we'd have a problem.
As awful as Pence is, I would much rather have him as president than face the prospect of an even-more-unhinged Trump in a second term with nothing to lose because he won't need to face voters again. If the very unlikely scenario comes to pass of Pence replacing Trump as the nominee, I think Biden would win, but again, ANYONE would be better than The Very Stable Genius.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:36 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:18 pm Question is, what if Pence runs? Then we'd have a problem.
As awful as Pence is, I would much rather have him as president than face the prospect of an even-more-unhinged Trump in a second term with nothing to lose because he won't need to face voters again. If the very unlikely scenario comes to pass of Pence replacing Trump as the nominee, I think Biden would win, but again, ANYONE would be better than The Very Stable Genius.
All fair. Pence is more intimidating just cuz we don't know a ton about the guy except his weird elusiveness and unwillingness to be in the same room as a woman who isn't his wife.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

People my generation were holding out on Biden for a while because a lot of folks were attached to Bernie (I liked Warren myself), but now I think it's clearer what's at stake and they're sucking it up because getting Trump out of office is the most important thing.
I agree. I think a fair amount of people won't be energized to vote for who they see as just another old white guy too. There's concern about the deterioration of Biden's mind as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3G52Bjirho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8KsxcwQ6j0

But I think Trump's glaring flaws and blunders will energize enough people that they'll be willing to overlook that their candidate has signs of dementia. People might not trust polls after 2016, but Biden has a much bigger lead than Clinton had.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Although I despise Trump obviously, I have issues with Biden as a candidate. He wrote most of the 1994 crime bill which expanded the mass incarceration in this country which started under Nixon And Reagan and in the 1970s he opposed desegregated busing, as well as him voting to let states overturn Roe V. Wade.

I was hurt when Biden clinched the Democratic nomination, especially since I was a volunteer for Bernie Sanders’ campaign. It says a lot about the conservatism that has always been a part of this country that we have a candidate against Trump for who a long time seemed to be more on the right of the Democratic Party. Historically, American politicians are defined by the fact that they put careerism over what the actual job is; trying to make life better for the people you lead and your community. And to do that, they will always suck up to a power structure only interested in retaining a mindless and unjust status quo. The same status quo which has ensured that you only have a chance of having a successful life in America if you’re rich and white.
Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

OK, we've moved beyond music in this Music forum thread to politics, links to propaganda videos, etc. Let's end this thread gracefully and re-establish it, perhaps, in a more appropriate area of the forum.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I didn't vote for Trump, I won't vote for him, I had no intention of pushing propaganda for him, and I don't think that categorization is fair. But you're right that this isn't the ideal place for this kind of discussion, so I still should have known better. I believe that was my first political post ever on the Internet, and this will probably be my last.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”