Running Up That Hill

Re: R.I.P. Ennio Morricone

Post by Listyguy »

Absolute legend. Rest in peace.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm more shaken by this news than is usual. Last year when we did our all-time artist poll I named Ennio Morricone as my #2 artist, only behind Bob Dylan. While preparing my All-Time album list this very weekend (early version, I still want to listen to as many once again before finalizing the list), I was considering whether his soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in the West was my #1 off all time, or my #2 (the other candidate can remain a secret for now). In other words, I love this man's work dearly.

Movie music was probably my first musical interest and I spend a lot of time playing Morricone albums, before I even considered listening to other albums in full. The amount of times I spent listening to the music of Once Upon a Time in the West and The Mission is absurd. And that's without counting the eight times I actually saw Once Upon a Time in the West (The Mission is another case entirely; not a great film is you ask me, just a great soundtrack). Then there are also The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, of course. And the other Leone films. Cinema Paradiso, Investigation of a Citizen Under Suspicion, The Untouchables, Days of Heaven, The Thing, The Legend of the Pianist, The Mercenary and many others.

Much of his work, especially those for the westerns also function as rock tracks for me and are a standard on my playlists. It is these tracks that make up most of his legacy and they have often been imitated. Yet even though many of the imitators are enjoyable, they miss the richness of Morricone's originals. There is something in the way he does tension that is unparalleled. The hints of dread and melancholy are also secret ingredients.

Of course, he was 91 years old and did music for over 500 films, so we could probably call his a life well spent. I love how less than ten years ago he decided it was time for a new move and decided to tour with a live orchestra, consisting of about 200 people. I saw him then when he visited Amsterdam. It was a suitably epic concert.
Chesteren
Debut

Post by Chesteren »

how i never heard of this? oh no... https://dragonpharma.to/winstrol-cycle/
i used to love him...
RIP Ennio

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”