Top Classical Music Albums

avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Top Classical Music Albums

Post by avant_jazz »

As far as I know, AM does not list classical music, so why is there a "Top Classical Music Albums" list? Albums by, say, Philip Glass are well-known to the general public but are hardly representative of the whole genre.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Top Classical Music Albums

Post by Rob »

It seems to only list modern classical.
avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Post by avant_jazz »

Why is that?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure, but I think it was expressly stated in the past in the "About" section that there would be no classical in these lists and I think the same actually went with jazz. But jazz has been part of these lists as long as I know and the same goes for modern classical. The older stuff has been consistently absent.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

If I recall things correctly, the inclusion of a classical album also has to do with if the acclaimed recording was made by the composer himself. That would dismiss most older classical music.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Maybe I'm wrong (Henrik could confirm it) but the site is not using "best of classical music" lists, just like it happened with jazz lists in the beginning. But if a classical album appears in enough "general" all-time or end-of-year lists it can be included.
As an example, click on the link (http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/album/A2027.htm) for the most acclaimed classical album ("Music for 18 Musicians") and you can see that it appears on 15 all-time lists.
avant_jazz
Start Me Up

Post by avant_jazz »

OK, I understand now. Then maybe the title "Top Classical Music Albums" is a little misleading?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”