BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension

Post by BleuPanda »

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Re: Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension

Post by Listyguy »

I've been looking forward to this one, will be listening soon. However I'm disappointed "My Rajneesh" isn't on the album.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

My initial reaction is that it's a fine album, but certainly not on the same level as his best albums. Maybe it will grow on me, but I think it's at least 20 minutes too long.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

After listening last night, I feel it's his weakest since he broke through with Michigan but still pretty strong. It still feels like he's pushing boundaries, but what he's doing here doesn't feel as jaw-dropping as his previous works. This could change - I know Age of Adz took a bit to grow on me, but even that started at a higher point initially. But there's also the perception issue where I'm comparing this to his previous works but I really do think it's a great album - it sits in that weird zone of great yet disappointing. I think the big thing here is that his others albums carved niches while there are plenty of dark electronic albums this has to compete with.

Sufjan Rank:
Illinois (10/10, #6 all-time)
Carrie & Lowell (10, #13)
The Age of Adz (9.7, #115)
Michigan (9.6, #157)
Seven Swans (8.7, #745)
The Ascension (8.5, which would put it in the 900 range)
The Avalanche (7.4)
Enjoy Your Rabbit (6.75)
All Delighted People EP (6.75)
A Sun Came (6.5)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Not even counting Aporia?

I’m enjoying it too. Possible year end top ten. Hard to say yet where it ranks among his other albums.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I didn't listen to any singles ahead of time (something I should've done for Ultra Mono but I digress) but this is pretty great. Not up to the level of Illinois or Carrie & Lowell, but those were both in my all time top fifteen so it's pretty hard to fault an album for not hitting those highs. I'd say at least on par with Age of Adz, and I regrettably haven't heard his others yet. Aporia is sort of a different creature altogether in my opinion, hard to directly compare them, but this is at least on par with that album.

Definitely gonna make my year end top ten. Might be my new number two, beating out FTBC, RTJ4 and Ultra Mono.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Sufjan might get two albums in my top ten this year.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I’ve listened twice now, and I can say it’s pretty awesome. Currently about like a 9 out of 10, but maybe a future 10. Sufjan Stevens’ albums are so varied yet all so damn high quality! Each of the fifteen songs on here has its own charms, and hold up over a second listen. My favorites are probably Video Games and Make Me An Offer I Cannot Refuse.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”