Radiohead’s Kid A: 20th Anniversary

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Radiohead’s Kid A: 20th Anniversary

Post by Holden »

Apparently today is Kid A’s 20th Anniversary! Any thoughts?
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Re: Radiohead’s Kid A: 20th Anniversary

Post by Madzong »

I still think that I would have enjoyed Kid A more if the track list had incorporated some of the better tracks from Amnesiac. I remembered reading just before the time of release that sorting out the final track list was an issue for the band.

Treefingers? Meh.

There is a great blog run by soniclovenoize who tried to recreate ‘lost’ albums. One time he Made an attempt at making ‘Kid Amnesiac’.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... c.html?m=1

I had a go as well. My final track list was:

1. The National Anthem
2. Morning Bell (Kid A Version)
3. Optimistic
4. In Limbo
5. Dollars And Cents
6. Knives Out
7. You And Whose Army
8. Idiotique
9. I Might Be Wrong
10. Everything In Its Right Place
11. How To Disappear Completely
12. Pyramid Song

I used 12 songs in my tracklist as Radiohead had 12 songs on their three previous albums.

I then averaged out the songs from the three legs of the Kid A tour to get the placing for the songs.

I removed 'Kid A' and ‘Treefingers’ as these songs didn't seem to feature on the tour.

Otherwise it is similar to soniclovenoize’s selection but with 'Idiotique' and 'I Might Be Wrong' added which are both strong tracks and were played frequently on the tour.

My second attempt had 14 songs:

1. The National Anthem
2. Morning Bell (Kid A Version)
3. Optimistic
4. In Limbo
5. Dollars And Cents
6. Knives Out
7. You And Whose Army
8. Untitled
9. Idiotique
10. I Might Be Wrong
11. Everything In Its Right Place
12. How To Disappear Completely
13. Pyramid Song
14. Motion Picture Soundtrack

I added ‘Untitled’ in order to make the transition to the more electronic ‘Idiotique’ less jarring and added ‘Motion Picture Soundtrack’ to the end as this was how Kid A finished and it Is a nice end to the ‘album’.

Thoughts anyone?
Last edited by Madzong on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

This was quite literally a life changing album for me. The first time I listened to it I was blown away. It changed the way I thought about music and it’s hard to put into words how (I keep trying and everything I attempt sounds stupid). I think it is one of the few pretty near flawless albums.

I know Amnesiac was recorded in the same sessions but I agree with the band’s logic, which is that those songs have a different aesthetic than the ones that ended up on Kid A.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I known about amnesiac being recorded at the same time but like they both feel cohesive and honestly I don’t think that either would’ve benefited from switching the tracks up. Not the biggest Amnesiac fan though, tbh. Though Kid A is definitely either the best or second best Radiohead album.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The album was one of my gateways out of rock music after high school, and still serves as a great entryway if you're trying to move beyond rock.

I think "The National Anthem" and "How to Disappear Completely" are all-time great tracks, and I think the psychedelic and uneasy "In Limbo" is in general a bit underrated. "Optimistic" and "Idioteque" are a bit overrated, but they're not bad tracks.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

My favorite album of all time and I doubt anything will ever top it. Around 2013 the only band I really listened to was Pink Floyd, when I heard people saying Radiohead was like a modern day Pink Floyd I tried to check them out. I listened to OK Computer first and it was nice but didn't really impress me outside of a few tracks. Then I tried Kid A and it blew me away, I was actually mad that I had never heard this music at all until I was in middle school. I felt that it was like music that I would make had I been in band. The cryptic lyrics amazed me, the blending of electronic and rock music was breathtaking. From the first time listening to that album I knew that Radiohead would become my favorite band. My love of this album made me even more interested in music and eventually brought me here.
There is No More Firmament.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”