Song List Special #3: Zorg

Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Song List Special #3: Zorg

Post by Zorg »

The one you've all been waiting for! My list was only 114 songs long, as I did it during the rush of university, so I intended to add more to it before my number came up. But here it is, so I'll try and add more songs and comments to the list.
1 | Television | Marquee Moon
- As soon as I heard this song I knew I'd love it forever. That album is constantly in a battle for top place with London Calling and Spiderland, and this song is one of the main reasons why. There is something just so pretty about those guitars. I love the stupid lyrics, though they're actually more interesting than I thought they were, "The Kiss of Death, the embrace of life". The drumming is on point too. I'm not one for virtuosity - I think it was schleuse who said he didn't give a damn if someone had Freddie Mercury's vocal cords or Brian May's fingers - but the sheer ability required and the inventiveness needed to create Marquee Moon solidifies it as a stone cold classic.
2 | Pharaoh Sanders | The Creator Has A Masterplan
- A recent discovery for me, but my penchant for long songs is truly exploited with this song. I love the way that it's always winding around and swirling, but always comes back to that rest part with the plucky bass and that amazing flute.
3 | The Ronettes | Be My Baby
- I seriously think that at times this is my favourite song ever. I love everything about it, from the beginning drum beats to the harmonies in the background, but the one thing that takes me back the most is the purity with which Ronnie sings those vocals - it sounds like nothing I've ever heard. Children could grow up listening to Be My Baby. Not least it's so freaking catchy.
4 | Slint | Good Morning Captain
- I talk about it enough.
5 | Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
- There used to be a time when I would play music to sleep. It was around then that my obsession to music started, so I figured that being in bed when there's no music on was time wasted. So there I was, headphones uncomfortably in, trying to sleep. One time I played Highway 61. I of course loved Like A Rolling Stone and Tombstone Blues, but the middle of that album (excepting the fantastic Ballad of a Thin Man) is relatively soporific for me. What luck then, that I woke up right in time for the middle of the most fantastically evocative Bob Dylan song that there is. Music to me always sounds better when you're waking up, as what you're listening to seeps through your semi-conciousness, in the dark, eyes closed. I always thought Desolation Row was a bit too repetitive, went on for a little too long, but now I couldn't get enough of it. I've loved it ever since. I think I'd happily sit there in my bed, eyes closed, listening to Desolation Row on a loop for like an hour.
6 | The Beach Boys | God Only Knows
- Now this is a true love song. There are surely few songs that are this sincere, and heartwarming. To be honest, there's nothing really to say - its appeal is so obvious, so universal, from the gorgeous harmonies to Carl's great vocals.
7 | The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
- Most times, I actually do think this is the best song ever, and it's very apt that it begins with that Ronettes drumbeat, because it sets it off so well. The old John Peel quote about his favourite song, Teenage Kicks, applies here for me - "There's nothing you could add to it or subtract from it that would improve it.". As an idea it's great, and for execution, it's perfect.
8 | Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
- In the recent Stairway vs Non-Stairway battle, it was mentioned that those who don't like Stairway tend to like When the Levee Breaks more. I fall HEAVILY for this side. The difference etween the two? It's in the attitude, it's in its utility (Levee is a perfect ending song), it's IN THE DRUMS (especially that bit from 5:09 - Led Zep are arguably the most "physically" talented band there is), I find it more majestic than Stairway, and the guitars have a leeeeeeetle bit more bite to them. That's all it takes for a song that's not in my list at all to become a top 10 song of all time.
9 | Fela Kuti | Zombie
- Fall in! Fall out!
10 | Slint | Washer
11 | The Wrens | 13 Months In 6 Minutes
- this is on here for being the most emotional song I've ever heard, ever. Ever. The change from " I followed you to bed. We started secret plans" to "forward 7 months: I've only seen you once" always gets to me. The dark change from a relationship at its early bloom to its swift conclusion as she leaves for London, leaving you powerless to do anything. I gush about the Wrens so much (my friends all hate them as a result) because not only did it help me through some dark aimless times (i.e. being a 14 year old hah), but I really do think that they're great people. And that matters to me a lot. Proof of this can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzN5oLwZdw
12 | Sonic Youth | Trilogy
- Another "discovered through the night" song - it's a shame that people are willing to vote for one medley (Abbey Road) but not this one! Hyperstation is so slow, so slowly transformative, but it sounds so good.
13 | Pixies | No. 13 Baby
- true peak of Doolittle! Listen to the bass!
14 | Frank Zappa | The Gumbo Variations
To all of you who listen to Hot Rats and like Peaches en Regalia but fall asleep by track 3, please please PLEASE listen to this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rak82qafjQ Just listen to the saxophone.
15 | Madonna | Like A Prayer
16 | Curtis Mayfield | Right On For The Darkness
17 | The Velvet Underground (and Nico) | Heroin
- This song also isn't particularly happy, as it clearly talks about the alienation caused by being addicted to taking Heroin - "and you can't help me now, you guys and all you sweet girls with all your sweet talk/ you all can go take a walk". But god if the "rush" moments aren't enthralling. The song is built for those shory but sweet moments when the drum speeds up, and everything gets going. I think he knows that the addiction will "nullify (his) life", but does he care? I don't think so. The rushes are just too addictive.
18 | Sigur Ros | Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa
19 | The Clash | White Man In Hammersmith Palais
20 | Tortoise | Djed
21 | Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention | Brown Shoes Don't Make It
22 | Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, And F - Trio and Group Dancers
23 | Pixies | Debaser
24 | The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for the Devil
25 | Sigur Ros | Sfefn-G-Englar
26 | Of Montreal | The Past Is A Grotesque Animal
27 | Bruce Springsteen | Incident on 57th Street
28 | Kraftwerk | Autobahn
29 | Spiritualized | Cop Shoot Cop
30 | Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head
31 | Liz Phair | 6'1"
32 | The Wrens | Everyone Chooses Sides
33 | David Bowie | "Heroes"
34 | The Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows
35 | Bob Dylan | Joey
36 | Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
37 | David Bowie | Station to Station
38 | Love | You Set The Scene
39 | The Clash | Train in Vain
40 | Can | Halleluhwah
41 | Outkast | B.O.B.
42 | Bruce Springsteen | Racing In The Street
43 | David Bowie | Suffragette City
44 | Bob Dylan | Visions of Johanna
45 | The Kinks | Shangri-La
46 | Kanye West | Last Call
47 | Stevie Wonder | Livin' For The City
48 | Arcade Fire | In The Backseat
49 | LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
50 | The Beta Band | Dry The Rain
51 | The Beatles | I Am The Walrus
52 | The Kinks | Waterloo Sunset
53 | Neu! | Negativland
54 | The Clash | Revolution Rock
55 | The Knife | Silent Shout
56 | Wilco | Impossible Germany
57 | Yes | Siberian Khatru
58 | Pavement | Half A Canyon
59 | Sonic Youth | 'Cross The Breeze
60 | The Rolling Stones | Dead Flowers
61 | The Stooges | Search and Destroy
62 | The Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter
63 | LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
64 | The Rolling Stones | Jigsaw Puzzle
65 | Jay-Z | Renegade
66 | Modest Mouse | Trailer Trash
67 | Pavement | Fillmore Jive
68 | The Zombies | Care of Cell 44
69 | Kanye West | We Major
70 | King Crimson | Starless
71 | The Kinks | Australia
72 | The Rolling Stones | Sister Morphine
73 | Lou Reed | The Kids
74 | Talking Heads | The Great Curve
75 | Talking Heads | Don't Worry About The Government
76 | Eminem | Stan
77 | The Smiths | I Know It's Over
78 | Joanna Newsom | Only Skin
79 | Bob Dylan | Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
80 | Sleigh Bells | Crown on the Ground
81 | Big Star | Thirteen
82 | The Divine Comedy | The Summerhouse
83 | The United States of America | The American Way of Love (Parts I-III)
84 | Bob Dylan | Like A Rolling Stone
85 | Tori Amos | Winter
86 | Radiohead | You and Whose Army
87 | The Clash | Spanish Bombs
88 | Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
89 | Pulp | Common People
90 | My Bloody Valentine | Soon
91 | The National | Mr November
92 | Television | Venus
93 | Jane's Addiction | Three Days
94 | The Doors | Light My Fire
95 | Deerhunter | Desire Lines
96 | Joanna Newsom | Emily
97 | Joy Division | Decades
98 | Prince | Sign O The Times
99 | Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention | Hungry Freaks, Daddy
100 | The Black Keys | Lonely Boy
101 | Primal Scream | Come Together
102 | The Velvet Underground | Sister Ray
103 | Bruce Springsteen | The Promised Land
104 | The Rolling Stones | Midnight Rambler
105 | Pixies | Hey
106 | Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot
107 | Kraftwerk | The Model
108 | The Velvet Underground (and Nico) | Venus In Furs
109 | Lou Reed | Sad Song
110 | Spiritualized | Broken Heart
111 | Girls | Vomit
112 | Okkervil River | So Come Back, I'm Waiting
113 | Massive Attack | Unfinished Sympathy
114 | Wir Sind Helden | Die Ballade von Wolfgang und Brigitte
- A quick note about this German pop band. It's a sad thing, but German 21st century bands who sing in German are actually quite rare. But the German language isn't very marketable, because at least in the UK, the most exposure we get of the German language is in war films. So people have this feel that German is a very disgusting horrible sounding language. This couldn't be further from the truth. Check out this song by Wir Sind Helden called Nur Ein Wort (Only One Word): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5kmM98iklo The video is AMAZING and is a homage to Subterranean Homesick Blues but with modern day technology! It's beautifully catchy and relaxing and the lyrics are simple yet evocative while maintaining an amazing metre. Die Ballade von Wolfgang und Brigitte is from their most current album, which has some really great songs on it, of which that one is the best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvXP2267sE you MUST check out the lyrics while you listen to it. Trying to speak the lyrics at her speed is really fun too.

I'll add more comments as I go along.
Last edited by Zorg on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Song List Special #3: Zorg

Post by Stephan »

I absolutely adore your list Zorg. I might not like all the songs on it (and even actively dislike a few), but it's so personal and full of gems. Great, great list. It reminds me of netjade and sonofsamiam's songs lists in that regard. I'm still planning on redoing my songs list somewhere in the near future and I hope it 'll end up remotely as awesome as this one.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

High praise indeed. It really means a lot to me to get compliments from people whose music taste I hold in high regard. Which ones do you dislike? I'll see if I can try and convert you to the Right Way of Thinking!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

The song that elicited that comment was Just Like Honey, although I admit it has been a while since I listened to Psychocandy.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Yeah it's a great list, especially for a young guy like you (says the old man)
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Stephan wrote:The song that elicited that comment was Just Like Honey, although I admit it has been a while since I listened to Psychocandy.
Ha. I'll excuse you then. There are plenty of people who don't understand why I love Just Like Honey so much (probably because I don't explain it particularly well). But as a 3-minute slice of dirty pop, it's so well crafted. The drums intensify at the right time, the guitars add another layer at the right time, it goes suddenly quiet at the right time etc etc
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

nicolas wrote:Yeah it's a great list, especially for a young guy like you (says the old man)
Hmm, Marquee Moon, Creator Has A Masterplan, Desolation Row, Levee Breaks, Pixies...me like.

Is Zorg YOUNG? Hey Zorg! If that's true there should be more "inexcuseable" songs on the list. Either Kelly Marie or some rotten skatepunk. Should be interresting to follow your lists in the future!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

For the past half hour I've had the absolute pleasure of listening to "The Creator Has a Master Plan". It's particularly poignant now given that I'm an expectant dad. Over the past several months I've dipped my toe into the wide pool of jazz, starting with the heavy-hitters like Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. I have to say that this blows those out of the water for me, and is right up there with Sun Ra as my favorite jazz to date. The sense of joy and wonder is immense, from the gorgeous reverie to the protracted awe-struck freak out toward the end. This will be in my next list for sure!

Looking forward to listening to more tracks.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Zorg wrote: 1 | Television | Marquee Moon
A pretty good song that didn't make my top 4000. Some good scale-oriented guitar. But, for my tastes the song drags on a bit and the vocals become annoying as a consequence.

2 | Pharaoh Sanders | The Creator Has A Masterplan
The wailing sax entertains me well for a few minutes, the flute transition at @ 2 minutes in a segment that appears to be based on "A Love Supreme" also works for me. But then after about 5-6 minutes the song starts to become a bit too repetitive and uninteresting to me. Perhaps this could be a grower for me, but I am presently skeptical.

3 | The Ronettes | Be My Baby
-excellent song, barely outside my top 1000 at 1030

5 | Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
-Well written song by Dylan, but his raspy voice wears on me. This song could be a grower.

7 | The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
- Vocals are well done and this song is a bit hypnotic, comes in at 3621 for me.

8 | Led Zeppelin | When The Levee Breaks
This song has the droning quality that I believe appeals to you. I prefer crisper transitions. The drums are very good on this song. But, it still doesn't make my top 4000.

9 | Fela Kuti | Zombie
Nice mellow start to this song and the sax grooves very nicely and cleanly. Comes in at 4088 in my songs list. I wouldn't be surprised to see this song move up quite a bit on my next song list version.

12 | Sonic Youth | Trilogy
-Vocals are not particularly enjoyable for me. But, I can understand why others could enjoy this song - especially the noisy :music-guitarred: guitars.

14 | Frank Zappa | The Gumbo Variations
Great find. This song could easily make my list next time. But, I must note that the wailing sax does start to wear on me at @ 3:30.

I hope to comment on the following songs in the next week or so, time permitting.
18 | Sigur Ros | Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa

21 | Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention | Brown Shoes Don't Make It
22 | Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, And F - Trio and Group Dancers
25 | Sigur Ros | Sfefn-G-Englar
38 | Love | You Set The Scene
48 | Arcade Fire | In The Backseat
49 | LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
50 | The Beta Band | Dry The Rain
53 | Neu! | Negativland
54 | The Clash | Revolution Rock
55 | The Knife | Silent Shout
56 | Wilco | Impossible Germany
57 | Yes | Siberian Khatru
66 | Modest Mouse | Trailer Trash
70 | King Crimson | Starless
74 | Talking Heads | The Great Curve
75 | Talking Heads | Don't Worry About The Government
77 | The Smiths | I Know It's Over
78 | Joanna Newsom | Only Skin
80 | Sleigh Bells | Crown on the Ground
82 | The Divine Comedy | The Summerhouse
83 | The United States of America | The American Way of Love (Parts I-III)
85 | Tori Amos | Winter
92 | Television | Venus
95 | Deerhunter | Desire Lines
96 | Joanna Newsom | Emily
99 | Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention | Hungry Freaks, Daddy
111 | Girls | Vomit
112 | Okkervil River | So Come Back, I'm Waiting
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

A few more:

Yes - "Siberia Khatru": I'm one of those people who only knows (and likes) "Owner of a Lonely Heart". I'm well aware of their prog past but prog is generally not my thing so I wasn't sure about it going in. It's a lot zippier and more unified than I thought, and I actually enjoyed it!

The Wrens - "Everyone Chooses Sides": Holy cow - this ROCKS my SOCKS! It goes straight for the guts and never lets up! Big plus!

The Wrens - "13 Months in 6 Minutes": I appreciate your story behind this quite a bit, and can relate to it immensely. I can't count the number of nights I cried myself to sleep over a girl, and music definitely helped me through those times. That said, this was a little too acoustic for my liking. Nonetheless, I fully stand up for the choice of "wear your gushing, bleeding heart on a sleeve" songs.

Neu! - "Negativland": I have long put off listening to them for some strange reason, but I won't anymore. I never knew they could carve out such a groove, and the wonderful experimentation of those early 70s synths is sublime. Another song that will likely make my list next time!

Girls - "Vomit": Another artist who had previously caught my attention but I never explored, this song will push me along that path! It's a lot more beautiful than I imagined their sound would be.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

The comments here are great, and I'm really happy I could help you discover a few songs to like!

I think there are only two "prog" bands I actually like, being King Crimson and Yes. Now everything that's wrong in prog is actually present in King Crimson's stuff, but they can get away with it,,,

Moonbeam, you should definitely check out the Wrens' album the Meadowlands. It's currently my favourite album of the 2000s and my 7th favourite album ever. In fact everyone should. I think it's one of those that people liked when (/if) they heard it, but didn't listen to it again and forgot all about it. She Sends Kisses

Henry, I think one large difference between us is that whereas for you long songs tend to wear on, I find them utterly enchanting (provided the repetitiveness is good!). Repetition, or at least jamming for an extended period, provided it doesn't happen too much, is almost always a good thing for me. What do you think of Creedence songs that tend to go on for a bit, like Ramble Tamble and I Heard it Through the Grapevine? I find them brilliant. This Ride song is another song that I adore which has an extended coda.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Fred wrote:
nicolas wrote:Yeah it's a great list, especially for a young guy like you (says the old man)
Hmm, Marquee Moon, Creator Has A Masterplan, Desolation Row, Levee Breaks, Pixies...me like.

Is Zorg YOUNG? Hey Zorg! If that's true there should be more "inexcuseable" songs on the list. Either Kelly Marie or some rotten skatepunk. Should be interresting to follow your lists in the future!

Young by physiology, but sadly this forum has aged me :D
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Also Henry I can't wait for you to listen to Brown Shoes Don't Make It. I await your reaction :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I'll give The Meadowlands a spin! Based on the two songs you've listed, it seems well worth my time.

I, too, have an affection for long songs. Length can really make a great sound that much more... well, massive!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Zorg wrote: Henry, I think one large difference between us is that whereas for you long songs tend to wear on, I find them utterly enchanting (provided the repetitiveness is good!). Repetition, or at least jamming for an extended period, provided it doesn't happen too much, is almost always a good thing for me. What do you think of Creedence songs that tend to go on for a bit, like Ramble Tamble and I Heard it Through the Grapevine? I find them brilliant. This Ride song is another song that I adore which has an extended coda.
Your comment is very perceptive. I very much enjoyed the Ride song "Cool Your Boots."

For me, there are many long songs that are among my favorites. But, I prefer long songs with multiple distinct themes with well executed and crafted transition. I am not generally a fan of avoid prolonged wailing solos (although such solos are admittedly present in some of the favorites below). If the solos are melodic and don't involve a lot of distorted notes I am more likely to appreciate the jamming in a song. Some of my favorite longer songs include:

1) Led Zeppelin/Stairway to Heaven
21) Derek and Dominoes/Layla
24) Beatles/Hey Jude
88) Yes/Yours Is No Disgrace
162) Yes/Starship Trooper
257) Pink Floyd/Shine On You Crazy Diamond
347) Yes/Heart of the Sunrise
433) Utopia/The Ikon
698) Allman Brothers/In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
921) John Coltrane/My Favorite Things
929) Allman Brothers/Whipping Post
1811) John Coltrane/Blue Train
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Third list. Althought I usually dedicate Sundays to the Song List Special Game this time I began to listen to it on Friday when I saw so many long songs. No less than "Marquee Moon", "The Creator Has a Masterplan", "Good Morning Captain", "Desolation Row" or "Zombie" and only on the Top 10!
Fantastic list, Zorg. The wide variety on it tempted me to think initially that it was not a product of its times like Moonbeam's and Henry's (well, in fact this could be true with Henry's but Moonbeam was born in 1980 so his list should be filled with songs from the 90s but it's not, he was maybe the first 80s revivalist and when this was not a popular option). But thinking again your list is even more a product of its time in a sense, the immediate availability of (almost) every recorded song thanks to technology. Most people (especially young people) are not using properly these tools we have today but open-minded people like you can have on his Top 10 The Ronettes and Fela Kuti, Pharoah Sanders and the Beach Boys, Television and Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin and Slint. And that's great!

Shorter list, less unknown songs to me:
21. The Mothers of Invention | Brown Shoes Don't Make It: haven't heard it before but it's pure early Zappa, combining many of the trends that defined his style: hard rhythm & blues, humurous lyrics and vocals, multi-part song structures and (obviously) weirdness. Not really my cup of tea but I respect its inventiveness and irreverence.
45. The Kinks | Shangri-La: from The Kinks' "Arthur" album I only know (and love) the song "Victoria" (I spent a whole afternoon humming and whistling that melody while walking the streets of London two years ago). Now I'm in love with "Shangri-la" too, nice build-up from the charming beginning with the voice and acoustic guitar till the bombastic final with the singalong chorus and the horns. I'll began to rehearse my humming for the next time I fly to London.
53. Neu! | Negativland: I admit my ignorance about Neu!, I've only listened to "75" for the Moderately Acclaimed game. The song you selected sound very Zorgian (if I'm allowed to invent this word): long, droning, experimental, noisy, repetitive (but not boring!), like if some musicians from the 90s travelled with a time machine and landed in Düsseldorf on the early 70s. Amazing.
58. Pavement | Half a Canyon: only listened to it once (for the 90s poll). It's no secret that to me Pavement is one the most overated bands ever. Their disjointed sound and their instrumental unproficiency (more evident sounding after the ultra-rehearsed and hyper-proficient Yes and their "Siberian Kathru") may be charming for a lot of people here. But not for me. So sorry.
66. Modest Mouse | Trailer Trash: Modest Mouse is another of my gaps, I like this song a lot, good old indie rock, very 90s, combining easily melody and punch. I think I should dedicate some time to Modest Mouse (well, after Janet Jackson from Moonbeam's list and Blind Faith from Henry's list).
69. Kanye West | We Major: not completely unkown but only listened to the second album by Kanye a couple of times or so (except for the singles). Listening again to this wonderful "We Major" I realize my mistake, I need to dig deep into the other albums by Kanye (I listened every album but I only own "Dropout" and "Twisted"). On a side note, I'm sure that Orange Krush's "Action", the song sampled by Kanye would delight Moonbeam.
71. The Kinks | Australia: another wonderful song from the "Arthur" album, exemplarizing the burlesque face of The Kinks that would increase its weight during the 1970s. Surprising use of horns (on Kinks scheme) and brilliant use of the typically seventies multi-part song structures.
80. Sleigh Bells | Crown on the Ground: the last album by Sleigh Bells was the last on my list on the Moderately Acclaimed Albums of 2012 game. I didn't like their messy, hypersaturated and tasteless (to my ears) sound. I'm afraid this song is not going to change my mind about them despite I can find some appeal on the naïve voice of Alexis Krauss.
91. The National | Mr. November: I own (and like quite a lot) the last two albums by The National but not "Alligator." I listened to it once for the 00s Poll but it failed to leave on me a lasting impression. Listening to "Mr. November" I realize that the traits that made the band so big on the next albums were already there.
93. Jane's Addiction | Three Days: a pleasant surprise, great guitar work on it and well-build song structure, despite not being my cup of tea.

And the next:
95. Deerhunter | Desire Lines
112. Okkervil River | So Come Back, I Am Waiting
114. Wir sind Helden | Die Ballade von Wolfgang und Brigitte

Very interesting things on these last three songs, I liked a lot especially the one by Okkervil River (but my favourite song from theirs is still 2008's "Lost Coastlines").
About the already-known-songs I want to point to a song that I have listened some times before but now I see it under a whole different light. I'm talking about The Wrens' "13 Months in 6 Minutes," your comment made me search for the lyrics on the Internet (you don't know how it feels not understanding most parts of the lyrics simply listening to it, it's frustrating for so many people like me having to search for the written lyrics). I agree, Zorg, this "7 months" ellipsis you mentioned is masterful and highly emotional.
So another great Sunday (in this case the whole weekend, lol). The opposite of safe and unadventurous, your list is filled with adventurous sounds, with dissonant saxes and guitars, with long experimental instrumental passages. But you don't forget beauty ("Viðrar vel til loftárása"), pop simplicity ("Be My Baby") or even good mainstream ("Like a Prayer"). Sometimes the music landscapes are nightmarish (in a good sense!) but always punctuated with moments of genius, emotion and sonic pleasure.
Any flaws? Well, its main flaw could be also its main virtue: the length. Probably your 114 songs last longer than my 250. Don't you believe it? Let's see. Your Top 50 last for more than 7 hours (exactly 7 hours 24 minutes and 5 seconds, yes, I'm that freak) while my Top 50 less than half this length (3 hours 19 minutes and 11 seconds). Even more impressive is the difference of the Top 25: yours 4h 03' 25" and mine 1h 31' 52". And I stopped counting on #50 but the second half of the Top 100 included many song over 10 minutes like "Starless," "Second Skin" or "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," no less.
The correlation of our Top 114s is 12,28% (14 songs in common), not too high but higher than my correlation with Henry (9,6%) and Moonbeam (1,6%).

Many thanks, Zorg, very good (and very own) taste, especially coming from someone so young.

And next Sunday someone ever younger... Listyguy!!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

It's a pleasure to read your "analysis" of my tastes, and funnily enough I think I enjoy your more negative comments than your positive ones since they make me reflect inwards. Two bands in particular that I want to talk about and defend (mainly because I love them so much) are Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention and Pavement. To me, both of those bands had a philosophy of fun to them, an embrace of their lack of "conventional" rock talent, and a respect and a love of merging the silly with the satirical. It makes them both so compelling to me.

Zappa in particular is now my favourite album artist of all time, with an AMAZING streak of around 6 albums from 1966 to 1970. Just as prolific as the Stones, waaaay more varied than the Beatles or any other contemporaries, those 6 albums are truly stunning and everyone should check them out, because they're sure to find something they love! From the doo-woppy sound of 1966's Freak Out to the rock opera about vegetables and deviant politicians that is 1967's Absolutely Free; from the satire of the summer of love and san francisco hippie culture in 1968's We're Only in it for the Money, to Zappa's individual instrumental jazz/rock fusion Hot Rats; the two hour epic that is 1969's Uncle Meat (one of those odd movie albums) to the 1970 classical yet undoubtedly Zappa-ey composition Burnt Weeny Sandwich (though of course the opener and the closer are both 50s covers!), all of the albums are unique, fun, interesting and full of a carefree attitude that is so refreshing.

And then the songs, wow! Of course, Zappa is an artist for whom you MUST listen to full albums. There are very few songs which are individually stand-out in the way the Stones did stand-out songs, and indeed loads of the tracks are less than a minute long. But thematically and aesthetically, they're amazing. From ludicrous songs about cocktails, the brain police, hippie culture and the peace corps and smelly feet to much more serious social satire or conventional songs about annoying ex-girlfriends, sucky consumerism, police action and uninvolved parenting, obsession with image and 24 hour sensationalist media, Zappa songs are both completely nonsensical but never inane, and always compelling. And then of course, there are the ultimate classics.

It's quite late at night now, so I'll write about Pavement a bit later, but they're very similar to Zappa in terms of attitude, though nowhere near as prolific or as wide-ranging. If you happen to like those Zappa songs and albums, then a modern(ish) band that might be up your alley is Ween. I remember Jackson nonchalantly mentioned that he planned to listen to Chocolate and Cheese in the 1994 album poll, and I thought to myself "why not". Since then I've come to adore them, and they're just as weird as Zappa. Songs about spinal meningitis, reggae junkie jews, paedophilia, homosexuals, AIDS, japanese cowboys etc etc.

But I'll save that for another post :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Zorg: I’ve made it a goal to listen to at least everybody’s Top 100 songs. Since your list only had 114 songs, I listened to all of them. There were 13 songs on your list that also made my Top 500, with 10 more that I listed on my Honorable Mentions list:

Billie Holiday—Strange Fruit (9)
Ronettes—Be My Baby (95)
Eminem—Stan (107)
The Beatles—Tomorrow Never Knows (120)
The Kinks—Waterloo Sunset (129)
David Bowie—“Heroes” (137)
Massive Attack—Unfinished Sympathy (144)
The Velvet Underground—Venus in Furs (178)
Sonic Youth—Teen age Riot (180)
Tori Amos—Winter (291)
Madonna—Like a Prayer (332)
Curtis Mayfield—Right on For the Darkness (440)
King Crimson—Starless (482)
Bob Dylan—Like a Rolling Stone (HM)
Charles Mingus—Modes D, E, and F: Trio and Group Dancers (HM)
Joy Division—Decades (HM)
Kraftwerk—Das Model (HM)
Kylie Minogue—Can’t Get You Out of My Head (HM)
LCD Soundsystem—All My Friends (HM)
Of Montreal—The Past is a Grotesque Animal (HM)
Stevie Wonder—Living For the City (HM)
Television—Marquee Moon (HM)
The Velvet Underground—Heroin (HM)

Your list also had many great, familiar songs that I appreciated even more after hearing them again. These are the ones I already knew that I wish I’d included on my list (in order of regret):

Love—You Set the Scene
Girls—Vomit
The Stooges—Search and Destroy
Pharaoh Sanders—The Creator Has a Master Plan
Can—Halleluwah
Yes—Siberian Khatru
LCD Soundsystem—Someone Great
Sonic Youth—Trilogy
Led Zeppelin—When the Levee Breaks
Fela Kuti—Zombie
The Knife—Silent Shout
Slint—Good Morning Captain
The Rolling Stones—Sister Morphine
Sonic Youth—Cross the Breeze
The Zombies—Care of Cell 44

And, finally, here are the songs that you brought to my attention that became instant favorites. (Unfortunately, my comments aren’t as detailed and insightful as Honorio’s, whose comments I always enjoy reading, especially in the World Cup. If he were a music critic, I’d never miss a review!)

Slint—Washer: I like this one even more than “Good Morning Captain.” It’s about as ominous and gloomy as music gets, which means that it’s right up my alley. One of my favorite discoveries in a while.

Spiritualized—Cop Shoot Cop: Much darker than the ethereal title track, which is (again) probably why I prefer it. I wasn’t a big fan of their new album this year; but I definitely have to explore this band more deeply.

Spiritualized—Broken Heart: In contrast to the mood of “Cop Shoot Cop,” this one is absolutely beautiful. I’ve noticed that the best of their music (and they definitely are a hit-and-miss group for me) always seems to sound like it was recorded on another planet.

Frank Zappa—The Gumbo Variations: Like most, I love the “strangeness” of Zappa; but I’m always amazed at what a great guitarist and composer he truly was. I can’t remember a saxophone every sounding so wildly epic in a rock instrumental.

The Wrens—Everyone Chooses Sides: Very creative use of distortion, and terrific change-ups throughout.

The United States of America—The American Way of Love: I’ve enjoyed songs from the United States of America before, but none as much as this bizarre psychedelic trilogy. What a great find!

Jay-Z—Renegade: I’m not a big Jay-Z fan, which is why this one probably escaped me. However, I am a big Eminem fan, and I think he really adds an extra punch to this track.

Frank Zappa—Hungry Freaks, Daddy: Here’s the strange Zappa I love. This early gem encompasses everything that’s great about him, from the outstanding guitar work, to the odd, surreal lyrics.

Sleigh Bells—Crown on the Ground: Unique, futuristic-sounding electro-pop from an act that I should know better than I do.

Your list definitely defines the word “epic,” Zorg, and demonstrates a very wide and eclectic range of musical tastes. It has inspired me to dig deeper into the discographies of certain artists (especially Slint, Spiritualized, and the United States of America). You had so many great tracks on the list, both familiar and not, that I’m hoping you’ll expand it even further for the next songs poll!
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Zorg wrote:Two bands in particular that I want to talk about and defend (mainly because I love them so much) are Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention and Pavement. To me, both of those bands had a philosophy of fun to them, an embrace of their lack of "conventional" rock talent, and a respect and a love of merging the silly with the satirical. It makes them both so compelling to me.

Zappa in particular is now my favourite album artist of all time, with an AMAZING streak of around 6 albums from 1966 to 1970. Just as prolific as the Stones, waaaay more varied than the Beatles or any other contemporaries, those 6 albums are truly stunning and everyone should check them out, because they're sure to find something they love! From the doo-woppy sound of 1966's Freak Out to the rock opera about vegetables and deviant politicians that is 1967's Absolutely Free; from the satire of the summer of love and san francisco hippie culture in 1968's We're Only in it for the Money, to Zappa's individual instrumental jazz/rock fusion Hot Rats; the two hour epic that is 1969's Uncle Meat (one of those odd movie albums) to the 1970 classical yet undoubtedly Zappa-ey composition Burnt Weeny Sandwich (though of course the opener and the closer are both 50s covers!), all of the albums are unique, fun, interesting and full of a carefree attitude that is so refreshing.

And then the songs, wow! Of course, Zappa is an artist for whom you MUST listen to full albums.[/url].
Don't want to turn this into a Zappa thread... but I made a top songs list (what else) a while ago, Zappa in small doses at first, larger dose later :) Also...the "sillier" or "dirty" songs aren't that much represented among his better ones (relatively speaking)

1. Inca Roads (One Size Fits All, 1975)
2. Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus (The Grand Wazoo, 1973)
3. Montana (Overnite Sensation, 1973)
4. RDNZL (Studio Tan, 1978)
5. Son of Mr. Green Genes (Hot Rats, 1969)
6. Cruisin’ For Burgers (Make A Jazz Noise Here, 1991)
7. Blessed Relief (The Grand Wazoo, 1973)
8. Fifty-Fifty (Overnite Sensation, 1973)
9. Watermelon in Easter Hay (Joe’s Garage, 1979)
10. Peaches en Regalia (Hot Rats, 1969)
11. Uncle Remus (Apostrophe, 1974)
12. Strictly Genteel (London Symphony Orchestra, 1987)
13. Echidna's Arf (Of You) (Roxy & Elsewhere, 1974)
14. Sofa No. 2 (One Size Fits All, 1975)
15. Strictly Genteel (Make A Jazz Noise Here, 1991)
16. King Kong I-V (Uncle Meat, 1969)
17. Muffin Man (Bongo Fury, 1975)
18. Don't Eat the Yellow Snow (Suite) (single version) (Strictly Commercial, 1995)
19. The Little House I Used to Live In (Burnt Weeny Sandwich, 1970)
20. Call Any Vegetable (Absolutely Free, 1967)
21. What's New in Baltimore? (Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention, 1985)
22. Yo' Mama (Sheik Yerbouti, 1979)
23. Hungry Freaks, Daddy (Freak Out, 1966)
24. Waka/Jawaka (Waka/Jawaka, 1972)
25. Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? (Roxy & Elsewhere, 1974)
26. The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page, No. 1 (Zappa In New York, 1978)
27. The Grand Wazoo (The Grand Wazoo, 1973)
28. Theme From Burnt Weeny Sandwich (Burnt Weeny Sandwich, 1970)
29. The Gumbo Variations (Hot Rats, 1969)
30. Brown Shoes Don't Make It (Absolutely Free, 1967)
31. Leather Goods (Läther, 1996)
32. Dog Breath, in The Year of the Plague (Uncle Meat, 1969)
33. The Purple Lagoon/Approximate (Zappa In New York, 1976)
34. Willie The Pimp (Fillmore East, 1971)
35. Who Are the Brain Police? (Freak Out, 1966)
36. Transylvania Boogie (Chunga’s Revenge, 1970)
37. Son of Orange County (Roxy & Elsewhere, 1974)
38. My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama (Weasels Ripped My Flesh, 1970)
39. Help I'm a Rock (Freak Out, 1966)
40. Sharleena (Chunga’s Revenge, 1970)
41. Cruisin’ For Burgers (Zappa In New York, 1978)
42. Trouble Every Day (Freak Out, 1966)
43. Magdalena (Just Another Band From L.A., 1972)
44. Oh No (Weasels Ripped My Flesh, 1970)
45. Regyptian Strut (Sleep Dirt, 1978)
46. Eat That Question (The Grand Wazoo, 1973)
47. We Are Not Alone (The Man From Utopia, 1983)
48. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing (You Are What You Is, 1981)
49. Andy (One Size Fits All, 1975)
50. Dumb All Over (You Are What You Is, 1981)
51. Who Needs the Peace Corps? (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
52. Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown (Burnt Weeny Sandwich, 1970)
53. Rat Tomago (Sheik Yerbouti, 1979)
54. The Idiot Bastard Son (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
55. Let's Make the Water Turn Black (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
56. Return Of Shut Up ‘N Play Yer Guitar (Return Of Shut Up ‘N Play Yer Guitar, 1981)
57. I Am The Slime (Over-Nite Sensation, 1973)
58. Zomby Woof (Over-Nite Sensation, 1973)
59. Strictly Genteel (The Finale) (200 Motels, 1969)
60. Absolutely Free (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
61. The Orange County Lumber Truck (Weasels Ripped My Flesh, 1970)
62. Camarillo Brillo (Overnite Sensation, 1973)
63. Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin (Absolutely Free, 1967)
64. San Ber’dino (One Size Fits All, 1975)
65. Florentine Pogen (One Size Fits All, 1975)
66. Black Napkins (Zoot Allures, 1976)
67. Mother People (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
68. Disco Boy (Zoot Allures, 1976)
69. Ms. Pinky (Zoot Allures, 1976)
70. Outside Now (Broadway The Hard Way, 1988)
71. Dio Fa (Civilization Phaze 3, 1994)
72. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance (Lost Episodes, 1996)
73. Rollo (Quadiophiliac, 2004)
74. Sexual Harassment in The Workplace (Guitar, 1988)
75. Can’t Afford No Shoes (One Size Fits All, 1975)
76. Flower Punk (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
77. It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal (Waka/Jawaka, 1972)
78. Twenty Small Cigars (Chunga’s Revenge, 1970)
79. The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (Freak Out, 1966)
80. Welcome to the United States (Yellow Shark, 1993)
81. Bobby Brown Goes Down (Sheik Yerbouti, 1979)
82. G-Spot Tornado (The Yellow Shark, 1993)
83. Joe’s Garage (single version) (Joe’s Garage, 1979)
84. Motherly Love (Freak Out, 1966)
85. WPLJ (Burnt Weeny Sandwich, 1970)
86. I Promise Not To Come (Zappa In New York, 1976)
87. The Torture Never Stops (Zoot Allures, 1978)
88. Plastic People (Absolutely Free, 1967)
89. Little Umbrellas (Hot Rats, 1969)
90. I Ain't Got No Heart (Freak Out, 1966)
91. Jumbo Go Away (You Are What You Is, 1981) (female choir is the best)
92. Apostrophe (‘) (Apostrophe (‘), 1974)
93. Concentration Moon (We're Only In It For The Money, 1968)
94. Dirty Love (Overnite Sensation, 1973)
95. For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitchhikers) (The Grand Wazoo, 1973)
96. Cosmik Debris (Apostrophe, 1974)
97. Doreen (You Are What You Is, 1981)
98. Easy Meat (Tinseltown Rebellion, 1981)
99. Po-Jama People (One Size Fits All, 1975)
100. Your own inner voice (2013)
Last edited by Fred on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

This is amazing. I can't wait to go through these. I really do love the silly ones though. WPLJ is seriously the stupidest song I've ever heard, and I absolutely love it.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

jamieW wrote: It has inspired me to dig deeper into the discographies of certain artists (especially Slint, Spiritualized, and the United States of America).
It's funny because for Slint I only know Spiderland, for Spiritualized only Ladies and Gentlemen (and to some extent Lazer Guided Melodies) and for the USA of course, I've only heard the USA. Tell me about your findings! Tweez in particular is an album I'd love to listen to, but just haven't.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to get into Zappa hardcore, I found this thing on the internet which has proved super useful! http://i.imgur.com/6RY1t.jpg
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Many thanks Zorg (and many many thanks JamieW for your kind words about my comments on World Cup Poll, especially because these comments on Round 2 and 3 pretended to be brief and minimalistic while I worked much more on the comments on Round 1 when you were not still around).
Zorg, by no means I'm a Zappa hater, simply I'm not too fond of his weirdest material. In fact I like quite a lot most of Zappa's music, including many of the links you provided (for instance the outstanding "Trouble Every Day"). My Zappa's collection includes only 6 albums, "Freak Out!" (1966), "We're only in It for the Money" (1968), "Hot Rats" (1969), "Overnite Sensation" (1973), "Zoot Allures" (1976) and "Joe's Garage" (1979). I'm aware I'm commiting sacrilege but... I prefer the 1970s ones! Well, I dared to tell it, I feel much better now...
Only joking, here's my Top 5 of Zappa songs (all of them on Fred's list but the ones from these 70s albums on lower positions):
1. The Torture Never Stops (1976), link
2. Peaches en Regalia (1969).
3. Dirty Love (1973), link, some friends of mine named their band, Amor Sucio, after this song.
4. Trouble Every Day (1966)
5. Joe's Garage (1979), link
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Zorg wrote:This is amazing. I can't wait to go through these. I really do love the silly ones though. WPLJ is seriously the stupidest song I've ever heard, and I absolutely love it.
Ah, it's just word without meaning...if your native language isn't english...

PS. There is a cocktail party "version" of "Take Your Clothes Of" from 1962! good.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”