Albums of 2013

Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: Albums of 2013

Post by Matski »

Nassim wrote:Burial's new EP is on Youtube. And it is pretty great, it keeps looking for new sounds and ways to express himself through his music. It's not Kindred great (but what is) but still a fantastic record to top such a rich year.
Given it a few spins now and I have to agree with you Jirin. The first track feels particularly noteworthy but it then all becomes a bit too fractured for me. In the end it doesn't quite hold up at the same level as either Street Halo/Kindred or his two albums but it's such there's such notable evolution between each release that he'll kept me interested.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Matski wrote:
Nassim wrote:Burial's new EP is on Youtube. And it is pretty great, it keeps looking for new sounds and ways to express himself through his music. It's not Kindred great (but what is) but still a fantastic record to top such a rich year.
Given it a few spins now and I have to agree with you Jirin. The first track feels particularly noteworthy but it then all becomes a bit too fractured for me. In the end it doesn't quite hold up at the same level as either Street Halo/Kindred or his two albums but it's such there's such notable evolution between each release that he'll kept me interested.
;)

Personally haven't heard the new Burial yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

My updated list. I've done a little reordering as I've let some albums sink in a little more.

Mind blown:
My Bloody Valentine- m b v
Julia Holter- Loud City Song
Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City

Great:
The National- Trouble Will Find Me
Arcade Fire- Reflektor
Laura Marling- Once I Was an Eagle
Arctic Monkeys- AM
Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
Deerhunter- Monomania
Kanye West- Yeezus
Savages- Silence Yourself
Bill Calahan- Dream River
Deafheaven- Sunbather
Tim Hecker- Virgins
Sigur Ros- Kveikur
Disclosure- Settle
Jon Hopkins- Immunity
Janelle Monae- Electric Lady
Danny Brown-Old
Julianna Barwick- Nepenthe
Jason Isbell- Southeastern
David Bowie- The Next Day

Really Good:
Phosphorescent- Mucacho
Queens of the Stone Age- …Like Clockwork
Kurt Vile- Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Haim- Days are Gone
The Knife- Shaking the Habitual
James Blake- Overgrown
Foals- Holy Fire
Darkside- Psychic
These New Puritans- Field of Reeds
Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
Matthew E. White- Big Inner
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Push the Sky Away
Neko Case- The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More
I Love You
Forest Swords- Engravings
Mikal Cronin- MCII
Kacey Musgraves- Same Trailer Different Park
Chance the Rapper- Acid Rap
CHVRCHES- The Bones of What You Believe
Rhye- Woman
Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold
Waxahtachee- Cerulean Salt
Autre Ne Veut- Anxiety
Volcano Choir- Repave
Earl Sweatshirt- Doris
Oneohtrix Point Never- R Plus Seven
Pusha T- My Name is My Name
Yo La Tengo- Fade

Good:
Drake- Nothing Was the Same
Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Part 1
King Krule- 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
Lorde- Pure Heroine
Unknown Mortal Orchestra- II
Tegan and Sara- Hearthrob
Iceage- You’re Nothing
Frightened Rabbit- Pedestrian Verse
Kvelertak- Meir
Foxygen- We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
Colin Stetson- New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See a Light
Ghostface Killah- 12 Reasons to Die
Mavis Staples- One True Vine
Ashley Monroe- Like a Rose
Eminem- Marshall Mathers LP 2

Ok:
Icona Pop- This is….Icona Pop
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Mosquito

Meh:
Jay-Z- Magna Carta Holy Grail
Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Part 2
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Mattceinicram wrote: Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the Weekend
Lol.

And on Burial's new EP, it's definitely not close to Kindred. Rival Dealer is unique in his catalog and Hiders is interesting...not a fan of Come Down to Us thus far.

Also, it's interesting how Burial's release strategy is kind of inadvertently sabotaging his standing at AM. Because his last few releases have been EPs (and either in January or December at that), the overwhelmingly positive reviews for his post-Untrue work haven't exactly translated into critical acclaim. Maybe critics will atone with end-of-decade recaps, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Jirin wrote:
Matski wrote:
;)

Personally haven't heard the new Burial yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Opps. :?

Apologies Jirin and Nassim. I've always had trouble telling your avatars apart. :P

In all sincerity, I should add that it is still a very good EP and one definitely worth listening to if you were a fan of Burial's previous work.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Jackson wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote: Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the Weekend

Huh. Thanks for pointing out my typo! haha. Must of been tired when typing this out. I'll fix that.
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

January would be cool for a 2013 poll, maybe after the final tour of the 80's poll? But I can't host it, I'm too busy now
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

nicolas wrote:January would be cool for a 2013 poll, maybe after the final tour of the 80's poll? But I can't host it, I'm too busy now
Don't forget the final AM Hall poll, for the year 2014, which will be held the second week of January!
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Did I just see Beyoncé scoring an 84 on Metacritic? Even higher than Burials new EP? She does ok and has great and acclaimed singles but I just never thought I'd ever see her scoring as high as her hubby.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

It makes some sense in a way. Burial's new EP is perhaps his most divisive work yet so it's not surprising his scores aren't as high as his previous releases. On the other hand, a lot of people have been saying this is possibly the best album Beyoncé has released. However, her score has been dropping quite fast and it could still end up behind Burial's.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Has anyone actually heard the Beyonce album? It doesn't stream anywhere.

Anyway, Burial blew me away with this ep. One of my favorite releases of the year.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

nicolas wrote:January would be cool for a 2013 poll, maybe after the final tour of the 80's poll? But I can't host it, I'm too busy now
I can't host again this year unfortunately, but will definitely vote. Even though the EOY excitement is going on now, I always like how we wait until January so I have more time to actually listen to picks from some of these critics.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film 8,5/10 A new Divine Comedy album? NO! But I'm happy to find this kind of album this year.
The Computers - Love Triangles Hate Squares 8,5/10 Move your booty, move your bbooootyyy ! Oh yeah !
Minks - Tides End 7/10 I pass a good time with this album. A serious work with a lack of soul maybe?
Keziah Jones - Captain Rugged 7/10 Not his best album, maybe the worst, but nonetheless a pleasant album.
The Fratellis - We Need Medicine 6,5/10 A good start with great songs but in the middle of the album, the songs become less and less good.
Lorde - Pure Heroin 1/10 And i'm generous. Exactly the kind of music I dislike.

Chateau Marmont - The Maze 9/10
Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends 9/10
Crocodiles - Crimes of Passion 9/10

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet Of Curiosities 8,5/10
Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 8,5/10
David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10
Mendelson - Mendelson 8,5/10
The Computers - Love Triangles Hate Squares 8,5/10
Willis Earl Beal - Nobody Knows 8,5/10
Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film 8,5/10
Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter 8,5/10
Deerhunter - Monomania 8,5/10
Babyshambles - Sequel to the Prequel 8,5/10
Suede - Bloodsports 8,5/10
La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin 8,5/10
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 8,5/10
The Strokes - Comedown Machine 8,5/10
Atom For Peace - Amok 8,5/10
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action 8,5/10
The Virgins - Strike Gently 8,5/10

Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Woodkid - The Golden Age 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts 8/10
Sigur Ros - Kveikur 8/10
Bill Callahan - Dream River 8/10
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine 8/10
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away 8/10
Matthew E. White - Big Inner 8/10
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork 8/10
Stromae - Racine Carree 8/10
Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace and Magic 8/10
Savages - Silence Yourself 8/10
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City 8/10
Laura Mvula - Sing To The Moon 8/10
Albin de la Simone - Un homme 7,5/10
Devendra Banhart - Mala 7,5/10
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious 7,5/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 7,5/10
Alex Beaupain - Après Moi, le Déluge 7,5/10
Anna Calvi - One Breath 7,5/10
Junip - Junip 7,5/10
The Black Angels - Indigo Meadow 7,5/10
Mavis Staples - One True Vine 7,5/10
Brigitte Fontaine - J’ai l’honneur d’être 7,5/10
Buddy Guy - Rhythm and Blues 7,5/10
The National - Trouble Will Find Me 7/10
Sweet Baboo - Ships 7/10
Granville - Les voiles 7/10
Paul Mccartney - New 7/10
Arman Méliès - AM IV 7/10
Minks - Tides End 7/10
Iggy and The Stooges - Ready to Die 7/10
Arcade Fire - Reflektor 7/10
MGMT - MGMT 7/10
Keziah Jones - Captain Rugged 7/10
Black Sabbath - 13 7/10
Foals - Holy Fire 6,5/10
Julien Doré - Love 6,5/10
Daft Punk - Random Access Memory 6,5/10
Endless Boogie - Long Island 6,5/10
Mick Harvey - Four [Acts Of Love] 6,5/10
The Fratellis - We Need Medicine 6,5/10
Phoenix - Bankrupt 6/10
Arctic Monkeys - AM 6/10
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10
Rachid Taha - Zoom 6/10
Cage the Elephant - Melophobia 6/10
Beady Eye - BE 6/10
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict 5,5/10
Camera Obscura - Desire Lines 5,5/10
Editors - The Weight of Your Love 5/10
Villagers - Awayland 5/10
Yuck - Glow and Behold 5/10
The Knike - Shaking The Habitual 5/10
My Bloody Valentine - M B V 4,5/10
Darwin Deez - Song for imaginary people 4/10
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady 4/10
Jamie Lidell - Jamie Lidell 3,5/10
Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull 3/10
Jagwar Ma - Howlin 3/10
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10
These New Puritans - Field of Reeds 2/10
Lorde - Pure Heroin 1/10
Kanye West - Yeezus 0/10
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain, you should give a listen to Étienne Daho's last album, "Les Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée". It's an incredibly good surprise. His precedent album, "L'Invitation" was already very good, and this one only confirms that Étienne is in a new winning streak! :music-listening:
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

I loooved the Rival Dealer EP. It's amazing how Burial never seems to make an error to me.

And what do you guys think of the new Beyoncé album? It's incredible to see a mainstrem artist release such a perfect and adventurous album. I bet that, had it been released earlier in the year, that it would have at least a Top 50 placement on EoY charts.
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

guigs2910 wrote:And what do you guys think of the new Beyoncé album?
Do you American people know if there's a reason for it not being on Spotify yet? Does she plan to never release it there, like My Bloody Valentine with mbv and Radiohead with In Rainbows?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Pierre wrote:
Do you American people know if there's a reason for it not being on Spotify yet? Does she plan to never release it there, like My Bloody Valentine with mbv and Radiohead with In Rainbows?
iTunes is marketing it as an exclusive. A major US retailer just announced they would not be carrying the album because it was released electronically prior to its physical release.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm intrigued by a Beyonce album that was recorded in secret and then received critical acclaim but I do not want to put down money on it before sampling it first, because, it's a Beyonce album.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

DocBrown wrote:
Pierre wrote:
iTunes is marketing it as an exclusive. A major US retailer just announced they would not be carrying the album because it was released electronically prior to its physical release.
Well, I had to ask a big groovey fish to help me then :mrgreen: And I don't regret it, this album is tremendously good! I don't find the opening song very good, but from the second track onwards it becomes a fascinating musical journey. There are a few exceptions of course, a couple of songs could have been left off the album, but I'm still a big fan of the album. "XO" jumped directly in my top 10 tracks of the year. :music-listening:

She could have streamed it on Spotify, I'm still sure to buy a physical copy of the album! Artists puzzle me sometimes.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Pierre wrote: Well, I had to ask a big groovey fish to help me then :mrgreen: And I don't regret it, this album is tremendously good! I don't find the opening song very good, but from the second track onwards it becomes a fascinating musical journey. There are a few exceptions of course, a couple of songs could have been left off the album, but I'm still a big fan of the album. "XO" jumped directly in my top 10 tracks of the year. :music-listening:

She could have streamed it on Spotify, I'm still sure to buy a physical copy of the album! Artists puzzle me sometimes.
Man good find! I see it all on grooveshark under the name Lunch 'N' Leftovers
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just heard the new Beyonce album. It's good, with some great pop songs ("XO" is already on my top songs of 2013 list), but generally speaking I found it to be overly long. The album is 66 minutes long and it really shouldn't have been that long. It could have been a whole 20 minutes shorter and it would've been much more cohesive and not as much of a drag. Overall, a good solid pop record, but after reading all of the glowing reviews that it got, I was expecting something a little more sonically adventurous and exciting.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Nick wrote:Just heard the new Beyonce album. It's good, with some great pop songs ("XO" is already on my top songs of 2013 list), but generally speaking I found it to be overly long. The album is 66 minutes long and it really shouldn't have been that long. It could have been a whole 20 minutes shorter and it would've been much more cohesive and not as much of a drag. Overall, a good solid pop record, but after reading all of the glowing reviews that it got, I was expecting something a little more sonically adventurous and exciting.
I agree with this. I was also expecting something more adventurous. I appreciate that Beyonce didn't take the road she was expected to this year; perform at the Super Bowl, then drop a single, promote a record that'd send her back to the charts on fire after the underperformance of 4. Instead, she decided to drop an album solely by the strength of her name and image. People are saying that the songs are the main factor for this album's first-week commercial success, but I think the media hype caused by the surprise release and the music video concept were more responsible for the promotion than word of mouth about the music. I'm glad she didn't record an EDM record just to prove herself once again. This album is cohesive, consistent indeed, especially because she cut what used to drag her records down: the over sung cliched ballads. For the first time Beyoncé is actually sexy rather than a sex-talker; she also sounds more comfortable with her brand of feminism than on previous material. That being said, it's not as adventurous as I thought it would be. For an instance, plenty of those songs lack the peculiarity of Countdown from 4. If one were to compare with other artists, it doesn't contain the amount of ideas packed in recent records by the likes of Janelle Monaé and Frank Ocean. Beyonce take risks that pay off beautifully; The Janet Jackson-ish Blow and XO, for example, are pop music at their best; Pretty Hurts is the Beyoncé people learnt to love sophisticating her sound and subjects; The ballads are much more organic, with Blue being her tenderest yet. Then we have material like the misguided Flawless, that doesn't work its sample creatively, instead opting for a more safe route, never developing into something interesting -- if anything, it only enhanced my appreciation for M.I.A.'s recent work in Matangi. Also, Drunk in Love is further evidence of Jay-Z's lameness and it sounds remotely familiar, something Beyoncé could have recorded previously, last decade even. A friend of mine said that this record will only sell because of her name, since it's not for the masses. Beyoncé might not share the same trendy sounds of its contemporaries Miley Cyrus' Bangerz, Katy Perry's Prism, Rihanna's Unapologetic -- she should apologize for this one -- or Lady Gaga's Artpop, but it doesn't challenge the audiences in a way Kanye West's Yeezus did after the major My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, for example. It's great to see a huge pop star, a living legend actually, take some of the risks she does here and release this record in such a bold way never seen before on the other side of Radiohead, Death Grips and Angel Haze, but I think the music doesn't justify the glowing reception this has been receiving.

Happy Holidays, everyone! It's always good to listen to music; Always better when there's great company to speak about it with. Thank you and see you guys in the 2014!
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

HRS, I wish I had your talent for writing. Damn, you can write very well and cohesively. Just wanted to say that sometimes I don't get why some records receive the critical praise they do (Kacey Musgraves being my biggest example this year), but I do understand why Beyoncé's "Beyoncé" has. It's something hard to explain, because it really isn't this adventurous, but it has some magic in the air, some sparkle, and it has its brilliant, different production moments. I was just completely overblown. Of course not in a "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" or "Channel Orange" way, but you got me.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I'm so so so so late to the party, but I've fallen in love with Vampire Weekend. They seem like they should be annoying, but they're just....not.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Here is the last list of the year. A strong year for sure. As usual, my favorites are not the favorites of the critics, except for Vampire Weekend), but whatever. A lot of pleasure in all these albums.

Money - The Shadow Of Heaven 9/10 I like a lot these songs. It's a night album, perfect in a car when you have a long road. One of the best album of the year for sure.
Etienne Daho - Les Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée 9/10 Whoah, a very strong album. These little touch of Gainsbourg in the orchestration are superb (thanks Pierre).
Jay-Jay Johanson - Cockroach 8,5/10 His best album. A very good surprise.
Public Service Broadcasting - Inform Educate Entertain 7/10
P'tit Fantôme - Stave 6,5/10 Not bad. Not bad at all. The three first songs are excellents.
Mazzy Star - Seasons Of Your Day 5,5/10 Zzzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzz Beautiful but…not exciting at all.
Beyoncé - Beyoncé 0,5/10 I just can not understand, like Channel Orange last year or Yeezus this year, I can't.

Chateau Marmont - The Maze 9/10
Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends 9/10
Etienne Daho - Les Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée 9/10
Money - The Shadow Of Heaven 9/10

Crocodiles - Crimes of Passion 8,5/10
Jacco Gardner - Cabinet Of Curiosities 8,5/10
Asaf Avidan - Different Pulses 8,5/10
David Bowie - The Next Day 8,5/10
Mendelson - Mendelson 8,5/10
The Computers - Love Triangles Hate Squares 8,5/10
Willis Earl Beal - Nobody Knows 8,5/10
Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film 8,5/10
Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter 8,5/10
Deerhunter - Monomania 8,5/10
Jay-Jay Johanson - Cockroach 8,5/10
Babyshambles - Sequel to the Prequel 8,5/10
Suede - Bloodsports 8,5/10
La Femme - Psycho Tropical Berlin 8,5/10
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 8,5/10
The Strokes - Comedown Machine 8,5/10
Atom For Peace - Amok 8,5/10
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action 8,5/10
The Virgins - Strike Gently 8,5/10

Allah-Las - Allah-Las 8/10
Woodkid - The Golden Age 8/10
Aline - Regarde Le Ciel 8/10
Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts 8/10
Sigur Ros - Kveikur 8/10
Bill Callahan - Dream River 8/10
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine 8/10
Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away 8/10
Matthew E. White - Big Inner 8/10
Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork 8/10
Stromae - Racine Carree 8/10
Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace and Magic 8/10
Savages - Silence Yourself 8/10
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City 8/10
Laura Mvula - Sing To The Moon 8/10
Albin de la Simone - Un homme 7,5/10
Devendra Banhart - Mala 7,5/10
Eels - Wonderful, Glorious 7,5/10
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II 7,5/10
Alex Beaupain - Après Moi, le Déluge 7,5/10
Anna Calvi - One Breath 7,5/10
Junip - Junip 7,5/10
The Black Angels - Indigo Meadow 7,5/10
Mavis Staples - One True Vine 7,5/10
Brigitte Fontaine - J’ai l’honneur d’être 7,5/10
Buddy Guy - Rhythm and Blues 7,5/10
Sweet Baboo - Ships 7/10
Granville - Les voiles 7/10
Paul Mccartney - New 7/10
Arman Méliès - AM IV 7/10
Minks - Tides End 7/10
Iggy and The Stooges - Ready to Die 7/10
Arcade Fire - Reflektor 7/10
MGMT - MGMT 7/10
Public Service Broadcasting - Inform Educate Entertain 7/10
Keziah Jones - Captain Rugged 7/10
Black Sabbath - 13 7/10
Foals - Holy Fire 6,5/10
Julien Doré - Love 6,5/10
Daft Punk - Random Access Memory 6,5/10
Endless Boogie - Long Island 6,5/10
P'tit Fantôme - Stave 6,5/10
Mick Harvey - Four [Acts Of Love] 6,5/10
The Fratellis - We Need Medicine 6,5/10
Phoenix - Bankrupt 6/10
Arctic Monkeys - AM 6/10
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast 6/10
Rachid Taha - Zoom 6/10
Editors - The Weight of Your Love 6/10
Cage the Elephant - Melophobia 6/10
Beady Eye - BE 6/10
The Virginmarys - King of Conflict 5,5/10
Mazzy Star - Seasons Of Your Day 5,5/10
Camera Obscura - Desire Lines 5,5/10
Villagers - Awayland 5/10
Yuck - Glow and Behold 5/10
The Knike - Shaking The Habitual 5/10
My Bloody Valentine - M B V 4,5/10
Darwin Deez - Song for imaginary people 4/10
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady 4/10
Jamie Lidell - Jamie Lidell 3,5/10
Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull 3/10
Jagwar Ma - Howlin 3/10
Toro y Moi - Anything in return 3/10
Suuns - Images du futur 3/10
The Flaming Lips - The Terror 2,5/10
These New Puritans - Field of Reeds 2/10
Lorde - Pure Heroin 1/10
Beyoncé - Beyoncé 0,5/10
Kanye West - Yeezus 0/10
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote: Etienne Daho - Les Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée 9/10 Whoah, a very strong album. These little touch of Gainsbourg in the orchestration are superb (thanks Pierre).
You're welcome! I was not expecting much from this album, and I was floored. I should have known better: his last solo album, "L'Invitation" in 2007 was already an unexpected surprise. I hope Daho has not finished to astound us.

Fun fact: Nile Rodgers is here on the album, just like he was with Daft Punk, although not on the singles this time. It looks like France was a good bet for Nile this year, he contributed to two French albums, and both have turned into gold (literally).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Pierre wrote:
Romain wrote: Etienne Daho - Les Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée 9/10 Whoah, a very strong album. These little touch of Gainsbourg in the orchestration are superb (thanks Pierre).
You're welcome! I was not expecting much from this album, and I was floored. I should have known better: his last solo album, "L'Invitation" in 2007 was already an unexpected surprise. I hope Daho has not finished to astound us.

Fun fact: Nile Rodgers is here on the album, just like he was with Daft Punk, although not on the singles this time. It looks like France was a good bet for Nile this year, he contributed to two French albums, and both have turned into gold (literally).
Sorry to writing in French : Pierre, sincèrement, c'est la plus belle surprise de l'année ce Daho... et je ne suis pas un fan de l'artiste, j'aime une partie de ses albums mais n'ai jamais cherché a aller en profondeur dans ses chansons.
Cet album m'a sauté à la gorge immédiatement. C'est un "classique" instantanée pour moi. Il a tout pour lui, les textes, les mélodies et surtout une orchestration d'orfèvre imparable. Cela faisait longtemps que je n'avais pas entendu ça, de plus, la qualité est présente du premier au dernier morceau, sans temps faible. Un vrai gros plaisir et je te remercie pour me l'avoir conseillé, je ne suis pas sûr que je l'aurais écouté sinon.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Aren't we going to have a 2013 AMF best albums/songs of the year poll? I'm missing that!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:Sorry to writing in French : Pierre, sincèrement, c'est la plus belle surprise de l'année ce Daho... et je ne suis pas un fan de l'artiste, j'aime une partie de ses albums mais n'ai jamais cherché a aller en profondeur dans ses chansons.
Cet album m'a sauté à la gorge immédiatement. C'est un "classique" instantanée pour moi. Il a tout pour lui, les textes, les mélodies et surtout une orchestration d'orfèvre imparable. Cela faisait longtemps que je n'avais pas entendu ça, de plus, la qualité est présente du premier au dernier morceau, sans temps faible. Un vrai gros plaisir et je te remercie pour me l'avoir conseillé, je ne suis pas sûr que je l'aurais écouté sinon.
Sorry to other AMers as well: Je suis d'accord, cet album a quelque chose, une sorte de feu sacré que je n'avais pas entendu depuis la mort de Bashung, de la part d'un artiste que je n'attendais pas là. Personnellement, ça m'a donné envie de me replonger dans sa discographie, car j'ai du mal à croire qu'un album pareil ait pu sortir de nulle part. Peut-être le meilleur disque en français de l'année, je dois réécouter celui de La Femme pour mieux les juger, mais il occupera dans tous les cas une bonne place dans mon top 10 de 2013.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Pierre wrote: Sorry to other AMers as well: Je suis d'accord, cet album a quelque chose, une sorte de feu sacré que je n'avais pas entendu depuis la mort de Bashung, de la part d'un artiste que je n'attendais pas là. Personnellement, ça m'a donné envie de me replonger dans sa discographie, car j'ai du mal à croire qu'un album pareil ait pu sortir de nulle part. Peut-être le meilleur disque en français de l'année, je dois réécouter celui de La Femme pour mieux les juger, mais il occupera dans tous les cas une bonne place dans mon top 10 de 2013.
"Bleu Pétrole" de Bashung, voilà le dernier album à m'avoir exactement procuré de telles sensations. Je suis 100% d'accord avec toi. Pour ma part, il y avait les Biolay qui me titillaient quelque part mais là.. paf dans la gueule. Et quand on ne l'attend pas, c'est encore bien meilleur. C'est album est tout simplement somptueux. Et puis cette sensation d'approcher, de toucher du doigt l'esprit, le talent, de Gainsbourg (chanson n°3 notamment) et Bashung, quel pied !
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:
Pierre wrote: Sorry to other AMers as well: Je suis d'accord, cet album a quelque chose, une sorte de feu sacré que je n'avais pas entendu depuis la mort de Bashung, de la part d'un artiste que je n'attendais pas là. Personnellement, ça m'a donné envie de me replonger dans sa discographie, car j'ai du mal à croire qu'un album pareil ait pu sortir de nulle part. Peut-être le meilleur disque en français de l'année, je dois réécouter celui de La Femme pour mieux les juger, mais il occupera dans tous les cas une bonne place dans mon top 10 de 2013.
"Bleu Pétrole" de Bashung, voilà le dernier album à m'avoir exactement procuré de telles sensations. Je suis 100% d'accord avec toi. Pour ma part, il y avait les Biolay qui me titillaient quelque part mais là.. paf dans la gueule. Et quand on ne l'attend pas, c'est encore bien meilleur. C'est album est tout simplement somptueux. Et puis cette sensation d'approcher, de toucher du doigt l'esprit, le talent, de Gainsbourg (chanson n°3 notamment) et Bashung, quel pied !
Daho a frappé fort ici, c'est certain. Je le répète, tu devrais essayer son album de 2007, "L'Invitation", avec le recul, l'évolution vers ces "Chansons de l'innocence retrouvée" était déjà clairement amorcée mais je n'avais pas saisi qu'on assistait à l'éclosion de quelque chose de génial.

BACK IN ENGLISH OK, sorry folks. As you may have understood, me and Romain have found a French album that is so good, it made us lose our English. I can only recommend it to any francophile/phone person here!
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

This is what I got to this year

Mind blown:
My Bloody Valentine- m b v
Julia Holter- Loud City Song
Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City

Great:
The National- Trouble Will Find Me
Arcade Fire- Reflektor
Laura Marling- Once I Was an Eagle
Arctic Monkeys- AM
Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
Kanye West- Yeezus
Deafheaven- Sunbather
Deerhunter- Monomania
Savages- Silence Yourself
Bill Calahan- Dream River
Jon Hopkins- Immunity
Sigur Ros- Kveikur
Disclosure- Settle
Tim Hecker- Virgins
Janelle Monae- Electric Lady
Danny Brown-Old
Julianna Barwick- Nepenthe
Jason Isbell- Southeastern
David Bowie- The Next Day

Really Good:
Phosphorescent- Mucacho
CHVRCHES- The Bones of What You Believe
Queens of the Stone Age- …Like Clockwork
Boards of Canada- Tomorrow’s Harvest
Kurt Vile- Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Chance the Rapper- Acid Rap
Haim- Days are Gone
The Knife- Shaking the Habitual
James Blake- Overgrown
Youth Lagoon- Wondrous Bughouse
Foals- Holy Fire
Darkside- Psychic
Torres- Torres
These New Puritans- Field of Reeds
Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels
Matthew E. White- Big Inner
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Push the Sky Away
Fuck Buttons- Slow Focus
Neko Case- The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
Rhye- Woman
Beyonce- Beyonce
Forest Swords- Engravings
Mikal Cronin- MCII
Dj Koze- Amyglada
Haxan Cloak- Excavation
Kacey Musgraves- Same Trailer Different Park
Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold
Waxahtachee- Cerulean Salt
Autre Ne Veut- Anxiety
John Grant- Pale Green Ghosts
Jagwar Ma- Howlin
Earl Sweatshirt- Doris
Oneohtrix Point Never- R Plus Seven
Pusha T- My Name is My Name
King Krule- 6 Feet Beneath the Mon
Yo La Tengo- Fade

Good:
Daughter- If You Leave
Drake- Nothing Was the Same
M.I.A.- Matangi
Laura Mvula- Sing to the Moon
Lorde- Pure Heroine
Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Part 1
Iceage- You’re Nothing
Foxygen- We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
Volcano Choir- Repave
Frightened Rabbit- Pedestrian Verse
Factory Floor- Factory Floor
Colin Stetson- New History Warfare Vol 3: To See More Light
Unknown Mortal Orchestra-II
Blood Orange- Cupid Deluxe
65daysofstatic-Wild Light
Pet Shop Boys- Electric
AlunaGeorge- Body Music
Paul McCartney-New
Kvelertak-Meir
Hookworms- Pearl Mystic
Phoenix- Bankrupt!
Sky Ferreira- Night Time, My Time
Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer- Child Ballads
Jenny Hval- Innocence is Kinky
Tegan and Sara- Heartthrob
Atoms for Peace- AMOK
Ghostface Killah- 12 Reasons to Die
Mavis Staples- One True Vine
Ashley Monroe- Like a Rose
Caitlin Rose- The Stand-In

Ok:
Dean Blunt- The Redeemer
Eminem- Marshall Mathers LP 2
Paramore- Paramore
Icona Pop- This is….Icona Pop
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Mosquito

Meh:
Jay-Z- Magna Carta Holy Grail
Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Part 2
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is anyone running best of 2013 forum polls here this year?
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Haven't noticed one yet either. Funny because I was a lot more ready for it this year. :(
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm not sure I've ever had quite so mixed feelings about an album as I do for Danny Brown - Old.

Musically it sounds awesome, but some of the lyrics are unlistenably misogynistic and disgusting. The worst example among many is "Puts peanut butter on her *****, lets his pits lick it off". But the word 'Ho' also comes up about a zillion times, usually in reference to commanding sexual acts to them.

I can't believe these kinds of lyrics actually make the album more marketable.
drewcannon3
Start Me Up

Post by drewcannon3 »

Y'all - Angel Haze's album is a monster.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I don't mean to shamelessly plug myself here, but I just had to share my final list here with commentary. I'm just too proud of it :D
http://mattandmusic.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... -2013.html

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”