Luis Alberto Spinetta

Ursus Stultus
The Only Way Is Up

Luis Alberto Spinetta

Post by Ursus Stultus »

Hi everybody, I wonder if any of you knows the music of the Argentinian Luis Alberto Spinetta and/or any of his bands (Pescado Rabioso, Spinetta Jade, Almendra, Spinetta y los Socios del Desierto, Invisible). I seem to remember that Henrik talked about considering more music in Spanish for inclusion on the site. It would be interesting to know what you guys think of Spinetta's music. However, if you don't understand Spanish you would be missing a very important aspect of his music. Ursus
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Luis Alberto Spinetta

Post by Harold »

Because of my explorations of the lists on Rate Your Music and Best Ever Albums, I have albums by several of Spinetta's bands (Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible). Fascinating music, although as you note my appreciation is limited by my inability to understand the lyrics.

Fun fact: most readers here may be familiar with at least one of Spinetta's songs even if they don't realize it - "Dis Generation," from A Tribe Called Quest's We Got It from Here...Thank You 4 Your Service, prominently samples "Ruido de magia" from Invisible's 1976 album El jardin de los presentes.
Ursus Stultus
The Only Way Is Up

Re: Luis Alberto Spinetta

Post by Ursus Stultus »

Hi Harold, I was really surprised to hear "Ruido de magia" in Dis Generation! I had never heard that song (Dis...) before and was amazed at the way styles, countries and diverse traditions can mix and nurture each other. As you say, I've also been exploring different styles and music from different countries and, thanks to AM!, I am getting to know excellent new music (and other not so much to my taste).

I hope I'm not a bore by repeating that the work done on this site is just extraordinary. It is not only my taste in music that is expanding, but my whole mind!! Thanks again Henrik and all!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”