AM Foreign World Cup: Round 3 - Europe (Part 2)

Stephan
Site Admin

AM Foreign World Cup: Round 3 - Europe (Part 2)

Post by Stephan »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul
Georges Brassens - La Marine

Bracket 3.4.6
Jacques Brel - Les bourgeois
Edith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste

Bracket 3.4.7
Jaume Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol
Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterraneo
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: AM Foreign World Cup: Round 3 - Europe (Part 2)

Post by Honorio »

Four Frenchies and four Spaniards (yes, I know Brel was from Belgium but he developed most of his career in France). Chanson, cançó and flamenco. It seems that the nationality of some voters got some influence here, lol. And we will have on Round 5 a great final with France against Spain. Es-pa-ña, ra-ra-ra, Es-pa-ña, ra-ra-ra!!

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul (Belgium, 1968)
Georges Brassens - La marine (France, 1953)
Wow, what a killer pairing. Brel against Brassens, both brilliant artists, both fabulous songs. I usually don't vote strategically but I would like to have Brassens against Brel again on next round. Moreover "La marine" got the sentimental factor on its side, it will always remind me of the cover I recorded with nicolas. Taken from french-places.com: "It happens all at once, but it's all there, the giggles and the pouting, the quarrels and next morning the cries of "come back soon!", in these one-day romances, just like in the great loves that last forever."

Bracket 3.4.6
Jacques Brel - Les bourgeois (Belgium, 1962)
Édith Piaf - L'accordéoniste (France, 1940)
Tragicomedy. The tragic story of the sad prostitute and the accordionist of Edith Piaf against the comic story of Jojo-Voltaire, Pierre-Casanova and Grand Jacques caught in the act of becoming bourgeois going from chez la Montalant to the Hôtel des Trois Faisans. Another duel at the top between two of the greatest perfomers ever, just see how they lived their songs, accompanying the words with the movements of their hands and the expressions on their faces, both Brel and Piaf. Am I voting strategically chosing Brel? Nah, this comic number hides a deep rumination about the accomodation and the giving up of the youth ideals that comes with age...

Bracket 3.4.7
Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol (Spain, 1975)
Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas (Spain, 1973)
Strategies. Which pairings I prefer for next round? A duel at the top of the "nova cançó" style between the critics-darling Sisa and the audience-darling Serrat? A duel at the top of flamenco guitar between the solid past (Montoya) and the brilliant present (De Lucía)? Or a duel between the best Spanish instrumentalist (Paco de Lucía) and the best Spanish songwriter (Joan Manuel Serrat)? Mmm, difficult (but gripping) questions. Paco for me.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá (Spain, 1936)
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterráneo (Spain, 1971)
I love Montoya's "Soleá" (many thanks, nicolas!) but Joan Manuel Serrat was (I told it in previous rounds) my mom's favourite artist ever, the soundtrack of my childhood.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Well, if that France vs. Spain could end like the Valencia-Paris we 've just had tonight... :D
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Ouch, nicolas, this hurts... But there are still 90 minutes left. We will see who laughs last (probably you again, :D).
On a side note, here they are three other impressive samples of the expressiveness of Brel performing live: Amsterdam, Ne me quitte pas and specially his amazing performance of Ce gens-là
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul

Bracket 3.4.6

Bracket 3.4.7
Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol

Bracket 3.4.8
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterráneo
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul 5 (all-time #21)
Georges Brassens - La Marine 5 (all time #13)
Wow! What a game! Both songs are absolute favorites of mine, in fact my second favorite songs of Brassens and Brel (behind "Le Gorille" and "Amsterdam"). "La Marine" wins with its simple melody and fantastic lyrics (not by Brassens but by French poet Paul Fort).

Bracket 3.4.6
Jacques Brel - Les bourgeois 5 (#107)
Edith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste 5 (92)
Again, a very tight match. Although Brel's lyrics are superior, the singing and melody in "L'Accordéoniste are better IMO. A live version, btw.

Bracket 3.4.7
Jaume Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol 5 (428)
Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas 5 (198)
Two fantastic songs again. The great guitar playing and modern flamenco of Paco wins against the beautiful songwriting of Sisa. Thanks Honorio for introducing that song ("Qualsevol...") to me.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá 4.5
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterraneo 4.25
Well, yes, it's a second Flamenco song but I've decided not to vote too strategically. Again two great songs. What a bracket!!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul 9.25
Georges Brassens - La marine 9.25

“La marine”: it’s both a chanson and an oldie, two of my favourite things in music. I loved its unpretentious simplicity the first time I heard it, and I love it even more now. The passionate performance of “Vesoul” by my favourite chanteur is great too!

Bracket 3.4.6
Jacques Brel - Les bourgeois 9.5
Édith Piaf - L'accordéoniste 9.25

The link to “Les bourgeois” doesn’t seem to work. Here is another link. “Amsterdam” is my all-time #2 song and my favourite song not sung in English, but I decided to nominate “Les bourgeois” as an example of how Brel could formulate humorous social commentary without compromising his distinctive sound. I’m more familiar with the older studio recording of “L'accordéoniste,” but I definitely prefer this splendid live recording from 1955!

Bracket 3.4.7
Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol 8.5
Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas 9.25

Two lovely songs that have grown on me a lot since the first round of this game, especially Paco de Lucía’s very impressively performed flamenco song.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá 8
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterráneo 9

I like the rawness of Ramón Montoya’s 1930’s flamenco, but my vote goes to the delightful sound of Honorio’s childhood.
...will keep us together.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

It’s getting more and more difficult to pick these, since most of them already feel like they should be champions…

Bracket 3.4.5
Winner: Jacques Brel - Vesoul
You know we’ve reached the later rounds when we have a matchup like this between musical geniuses in peak form. Since I can’t resist frenetic, passionate Brel performances, I’m going with “Vesoul” over the melodic “La Marine.”

Bracket 3.4.6
Winner: Edith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste
To be honest, this one probably should be a tie. I still love the ironic storytelling of “Les bourgeois” (since I again looked up the lyrics in a live performance). However, Piaf’s voice is equally amazing, and she gets the edge because it’s a coin-flip and I’ve already voted for Brel in the first bracket.

Bracket 3.4.7
Winner: Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas
Last time, I voted for Sisa, although I said that I wasn’t “blown away” by it. I was much more impressed by the beautiful, almost bedtime story-like, melody this listening. However, last time I voted against “Entre dos aguas,” my second favorite of that week, only because it was up against my favorite. This time the remarkable guitar of Lucia easily gets my vote.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá
Winner: Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterraneo
Two more winners for me last time, and another painfully close vote. The guitar-playing in “Solea” still sounds so impressively ahead of its time, but I love the exotic, tropical “Mediterraneo” even more.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - ‪Vesoul‬

Bracket 3.4.6
Edith Piaf - ‪L'Accordéoniste‬

Bracket 3.4.7
Paco de Lucía - ‪Entre dos aguas‬

Bracket 3.4.8
Joan Manuel Serrat - ‪Mediterraneo‬
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - ‪Vesoul‬

Bracket 3.4.6
Edith Piaf - ‪L'Accordéoniste‬

Bracket 3.4.7
Pass. I would prefer to vote for both of these, so I won't vote against either.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul

Bracket 3.4.6

For me all these songs are just behind the very best of each artist, and since I think Brel has a deeper catalogue this means he takes a double.

Bracket 3.4.7

"Entre dos aguas" might be the most beautiful to my ears, but it feels more replaceable (not that I want to) compared to the totally unique "Qualsevol..."

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá

Another great flamenco song. I really don't think that vocals are needed to make a great song, but "Mediterraneo" is my favourite of this week's awesome batch.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

I must admit that French week was one of my least favourite in the previous round. It must have been a bad day of mine - same songs sound so much better today!

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul
Amazing performer, indeed; Amsterdam is one of the greatest songs I discovered in this forum. Maybe this is not so powerful, but, well, what is? Still pretty great.

Bracket 3.4.6

Bracket 3.4.7
I usually go with good songwriting rather than with good instrumental performance; Paco de Lucía's playing is pure joy, but there is something beautiful and innocent about Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol, something that makes me smile tenderly.

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá
Great arrangement wins it for Mediterraneo.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

My votes are for Brassens, Brel, Paco and Ramón.

Bracket 3.4.5
Jacques Brel - Vesoul - 6
Georges Brassens - La Marine - 4

Bracket 3.4.6
Jacques Brel - Les bourgeois - 5 [3]
Edith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste - 5 [2]

Bracket 3.4.7
Jaume Sisa - Qualsevol nit pot sortir el sol - 3
Paco de Lucía - Entre dos aguas - 6

Bracket 3.4.8
Ramón Montoya - Soleá - 3
Joan Manuel Serrat - Mediterraneo - 7
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Au revoir, Georges

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”