Show tunes

poorpete
Strange Fruit

Show tunes

Post by poorpete »

I did a quick search and didn't see this topic mentioned, at least recently. So I was wondering y'alls thought on Broadway music and show tunes on this list and in general?

I'm not a show tune stan, but a little surprised there are minimal on critic lists. Good to see Hamilton on here, but very surprised there is no "Let it Go" -- a top 10 hit, award winning, that wikipedia says received "critical acclaim", but is nowhere to be seen on here. (I know technically it's a film song, but it comes from a broadway singer and writers an has all the trappings of one) I do think it's inevitable that it will appear on lists, as the song's biggest fans are still growing up...

I did come across this list of best broadway songs of all time, but dunno if it'd count towards this list.
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater ... f-all-time
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Re: Show tunes

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I listened to more than my fair share of musicals during my time at ASU. You could attend a couple of modest productions a year, you could audition for them, watch old productions if you dared on VHS from the music library; the Lyric Opera Theatre would also post its new season well in advance, so you could spend the months ahead preparing an audition or just making yourself acquainted with an old cast recording on CD or vinyl at the music library. It wasn't Broadway but it still represented a sort of tradition of activities that Frozen just isn't part of.

“Rose’s Turn” from Gypsy... I listened to Gypsy but I really don't even remember this song. I don't think about musicals that much anymore, but I imagine that something is going to make my 1900-1950s lists, this year or next year depending on how that works out. The stuff that's made my '50s and '60s lists includes My Fair Lady, Camelot, "My Favorite Things," and an obscure instrumental of Greenwillow. The stuff from my preliminary 1900-1949 list includes Ol' Man River, Anything Goes, Blue Skies, and Too Darn Hot. My favorite cast recordings from my all-time album list are The Phantom of the Opera (which didn't even make the TimeOut list), My Fair Lady, and Les Misérables.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”