Albums and Songs of 1960 Polls

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Albums and Songs of 1960 Polls

Post by Holden »

AM Links: Albums, Songs

That's right, it's time! Time for the 1960s poll to begin! First up is 1960! I will be tallying the albums, and Schüttelbirne will be tallying the songs. If you want to participate, please post a list of your favorite songs and/or albums from that year in this thread. Only the top 20 will be given points, but larger lists are always welcomed and encouraged. On the other end of the spectrum, you need to list at least 5 songs/albums in order for your list to count towards the tabulation.

The top 10 albums and songs from each year will automatically qualify for the final decade poll. Additionally, there will be 50 wild card spots available to the songs and albums that miss the top 10. Wild cards will be determined using the points received in the yearly polls, with the point totals normalized by the number of lists that are submitted in that year. Wild cards also allow songs and albums with unclear release years to receive votes in both years. Points are awarded using this system:

Code: Select all

Rank Points
1	50
2	45
3	40
4	36
5	32
6	28
7	25
8	22
9	19
10	16
11	14
12	13
13	12
14	11
15	10
16	9
17	8
18	7
19	6
20	5
The deadline to vote is midnight (UTC aka Forum Time) on February 28th.

Compilations are not allowed. If you're unsure about a release date, consult RateYourMusic.com and AcclaimedMusic.net.

Thanks to Listyguy for running last years 1970s poll from which I have stolen pretty much this whole intro and format.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Albums and Songs of 1960 Polls

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Let me start by saying that this is the first time I really spent time exploring 1960, so both my albums and songs list are very surface-level. But it's been a lot of fun discovering lots of great stuff.
I commented on my top 50. If this is a difficult format for you, Holden, please tell me and I'll send you a PM with a "normal" list.

ALBUMS

1 | Max Roach | We Insist! (Candid)

This is more than just a statement. It‘s an unique artistic expression concerning repression and emancipation put into tension-filled music with expressive percussion by Roach and Michael Olatunji and the incredible vocals by Abbey Lincoln who sings and screams her way through these songs. Without a doubt the best album of 1960.
For the playlist: „Driva‘ Man“, „Freedom Day“, „Triptych“, „All Africa“, „Tears for Johannesburg“

2 | Oscar Brown Jr. | Sin & Soul (Columbia)

The cover features people like Steve Allen or Nina Simone declaring their admiration of this young aspiring newcomer, Oscar Brown Jr. Among the voices on that cover is also Max Roach; Brown actually wrote the lyrics for We Insist! and deserves all the admiration he gets for that. But he also released his very own debut album the same year where he got to demonstrate not only his lyrical abilities but his musical ones as well. He composed most of the songs here himself; for some songs he took other artists‘ instrumental jazz pieces (for example, Bobby Timmons‘s „Dat Dere“) and wrote lyrics for them that fit incredibly well. The political stance he takes on Max Roach‘s album is also present here; the album features a song about a female slave auction („Bid ‚Em In“). His performance on all of these tracks is exemplary and makes this an absolute masterpiece I‘m glad to have discovered.
For the playlist: „Work Song“, „But I Was Cool“, „Signifyin‘ Monkey“, „Somebody Buy Me a Drink“, „Rags and Old Iron“, „Dat Dere“, „Brown Baby“, „Humdrum Blues“, „Afro-Blue“

3 | Ahmed Abdul-Malik | East Meets West | 1960

A fusion of jazz with traditional Arabic music. There‘s a few instruments not commonly used in American jazz music like the kanoon, the darabeka or the oud (although the oud is probably the most well-known instrument of the Arabic region), but a lot of the background players are well-known jazz musicians like Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller or Benny Golson playing their usual instruments. This may sound like a mess, but the result is brilliant and the players obviously had a lot of fun. The mission of fusing two distinct musical styles into one has definitely succeeded here.
For the playlist: „El-lail (The Night)“, „La Ibky (Don‘t Cry)“, „Searchin‘“, „Isma‘a (Listen)“, „Mahawara (The Fugue)“, „El Ghada (The Jungle)“

4 | Charlie Mingus | Blues & Roots (Atlantic)

Bassist Charles Mingus leads a nonet featuring two alto, a tenor and a baritone saxophone, two trombones, drums and a piano. As the title states, they‘re interested in going back to the roots, namely blues and gospel. But what they make out of these influences is powerful music full of raw force, never backing down, with the rhythm section randomly shouting, while the group jams on. Listening to this is just pure joy.
For the playlist: „Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting“, „Cryin‘ Blues“, „Moanin‘“, „Tensions“, „E‘s Flat Ah‘s Flat Too“

5 | Miles Davis | Sketches of Spain (Columbia)

Miles Davis collaborated with pianist Gil Evans on multiple different albums, but this is definitely the best of them. Evans‘ contributions for this record lie not only in the composition of two original pieces but also in the arrangement of classical works and folk songs for jazz orchestra. The orchestra consists of 27 different musicians, including Paul Chambers from the First Great Quintet. Despite the big orchestra, the songs are very calm and mellow, with Davis providing the main melodies. It‘s a wonderfully pleasant sound and stands as the best album Davis had done at that point.
For the playlist: „Concierto de Aranjuez“, „Will O‘ the Wisp“, „The Pan Piper“, „Saeta“, „Solea“

6 | Tina Brooks | True Blue (Blue Note)

Brooks was mainly working as a sideman for other musicians, but he also got to record five studio albums in a span of four years (three of which in 1960). The downside is that only one of these albums was actually released during Brooks‘s lifetime. After 1961 he didn‘t record anything, struggling with heroin addiction and general health problems. The remaining four albums were released years after his death. Apparently, Blue Note didn‘t promote True Blue to focus on Freddie Hubbard‘s debut album Open Sesame (see below). I do feel like that was the wrong choice. I have nothing against Hubbard (he actually plays trumpet on this album too), but Brooks was a great saxophonist and a great composer. All the songs here are wonderful examples of catching melodies and interesting improvisation. A real gem.
For the playlist: „Good Old Soul“, „Up Tight‘s Creek“, „Theme for Doris“, „True Blue“, „Miss Hazel“, „Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You“

7 | Jimmy Giuffre | Western Suite (Atlantic)

An album with a very unique sound, certainly rooted in the country music the title hints at, but becoming far more than just that. Giuffre plays clarinet, tenor sax and baritone sax on this album, while Jim Hall plays guitar and Bob Brookmeyer the trombone. You may notice there‘s no rhythm section, so the music has a rather free-flowing quality. The three musicians perfectly support one another even in the solos. Overall, the sound is incredibly pleasant and relaxing while also providing one of the most unique musical experiences of 1960. I prefer the B-side with the most country-like Thelonious Monk has ever been played.
For the playlist: „Western Suite“, „Topsy“, „Blue Monk“

8 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps (Atlantic)

Coltrane was part of Miles Davis‘s First Great Quintet for a while, making masterpieces like Cookin‘… and he had also recorded multiple albums as band leader previous to this one. But Giant Steps still stands as a singular achievement, perfecting his playing techniques such as the so-called „sheets of sound“ and the Coltrane changes. He had developed an unique way of playing that went up and down the entire register of the tenor saxophone and yet made it seem easy.
His rapid cascades of notes and the swift style of playing make this a rather upbeat, enjoyable listening. There‘s just this one track, „Naima“ that sticks out: It was recorded almost half a year later with a different line-up and the mood it invokes is completely different from the rest of the album. But that‘s not enough to refrain me from declaring this an absolute masterpiece.
For the playlist: „Giant Steps“, „Cousin Mary“, „Countdown“, „Syeeda‘s Song Flute“, „Mr. P.C.“

9 | Wes Montgomery | The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery (Riverside)

Jazz guitar has a wonderfully pleasant sound. As a string instrument it sounds completely different from the often wind-oriented jazz of the time. Wes Montgomery is a master of guitar and is often regarded as one of the best in his respective genre. Here he teams up with Tommy Flanagan (piano) and the brothers Percy and Albert Heath (bass and drums, respectively). Half of the songs are covers, the other half are originals composed by Montgomery. Beautiful music not focused on solos with a nice dose of blues influence mixed in.
For the playlist: „D-Natural Blues“, „Polka Dots and Moonbeams“, „In Your Own Sweet Way“, „Gone with the Wind“

10 | Olatunji! | Drums of Passion (Columbia)

Not only did Babatunde Olatunji work with Max Roach on We Insist!, he also released his very own debut album. He plays drum-heavy songs with a call-and-response pattern in the vocals. Despite the music being clearly African, most musicians playing on the album (with the exception of Olatunji himself, who‘s Nigerian) are Americans. The songs are energetic and full of power.
For the playlist: „Akiwowo“, „Odun De! Odun De!“, „Kiyakiya“, „Baba Jinde“, „Shango“

11 | The Harold Land Quintet | The Fox (HiFi)

It‘s hard to describe what makes this exceptional because from the line-up you would simply expect a normal Hard Bop album. In a way it really is a normal Hard Bop album, but it features beautiful melodies and catching hooks and inventive solos to a degree that also seems different from „normal“ Hard Bop at the time. The entire quintet is tied together very closely and work with each other while also giving space to each other to do their own thing. Land himself plays the tenor saxophone, while Dupree Bolton plays the trumpet. The highlight, in my opinion, is the rhythm section that normally takes a back position, but proves itself invaluable here: The grooviness of Herbie Lewis‘s bass, the melodic flourishes of Elmo Hope‘s piano and the extrovert drumming by Frank Butler make this a wonderful record, especially the B-side.
For the playlist: „The Fox“; „Sims A-Plenty“, „Little Chris“, „One Down“

12 | Miriam Makeba | Miriam Makeba (RCA Victor)

Makeba‘s debut album and it presents her as a brilliant vocalist who is able to perform in multiple styles. There‘s songs here that are slower and calmer (but none that are sad), then there‘s songs that are upbeat and danceable and then there‘s novelty songs that are actually quite funny (I confess to adoring „One More Dance“, quite specifically because of Charles Coleman‘s behavior). Overall a great album.
For the playlist: „Suliram“, „The Click Song“, „Holilili“, „Mbube“, „House of the Rising Sun“, „One More Dance“

13 | Art Blakey, Bud Powell, Barney Wilen and The Jazz Messengers | Paris Jam Session (Fontana)

Recorded in Paris on December 18th, 1959, this is an amazing performance by seven talentend musicians. Art Blakey plays the drums, The Jazz Messengers, his backing band, consist of Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, Lee Morgan on trumpet, Walter Davis Jr. on piano and Jimmy Meritt on bass. Pianist Bud Powell and alto saxophonist Barney Wilen are sitting on the A-side. It‘s fast-paced, joyous Hard Bop with impressive solos and exciting chemistry. A wonderful live album worthy of more acclaim.
For the playlist: „Dance of the Infidels“, „Bouncing with Bud“, „The Midget“, „A Night in Tunisia“

14 | Ornette Coleman | Change of the Century (Atlantic)

Following 1959‘s masterpiece The Shape of Jazz to Come and preceding the genre-defining Free Jazz, this album sees Coleman moving away from traditional jazz to create something rather new (and he was totally aware of that, just look at the title). I can‘t really explain what is different, because I don‘t have extensive knowledge in music theory, but I can hear it and the way jazz normally sounds in the 50s is different from the way Coleman does it. Here he teams up with Don Cherry on trumpet, Charlie Haden on bass and Billy Higgins on drums for seven tunes that – despite them being signified „avant-garde“ - groove with the best of them. Every one of them gives their best – Haden even gets his own tune, „The Face of the Bass“. Worth noting is the stereo mix which has Coleman on the left side and Cherry on the right.
For the playlist: „Ramblin‘“, „Free“, „The Face of the Bass“, „Una Muy Bonita“

15 | George Russell and His Orchestra | Jazz in the Space Age (Decca)

George Russell is one of the most influential jazz musicians of all time. In 1957 he released a book called Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization which served as the foundation for Modal Jazz. I won‘t get into the theory behind it, largely because I don‘t really understand it (there is a reason you can study music theory), but Modal Jazz is a concept Miles Davis took up in 1958 with „Milestones“ and perfected with 1959‘s Kind of Blue, which happens to be one of the most well-known and -liked jazz albums ever.
But make no mistake: This album sounds nothing like Kind of Blue. Russell was way more experimental than Davis was at this point. Russell, who was a trained pianist, doesn‘t play a single instrument on the album, he composed, arranged and conducted the music that was played by a big band including people like Bill Evans, Paul Bley and Bob Brookmeyer. The songs consist of a three-part suite called „Chromatic Universe“ split over the record and three longer compositions that show a lot of free solos and rather experimental percussion.
For the playlist: „Dimensions“, „The Lydiot“, „Chromatic Universe, Part 3“

16 | The Modern Jazz Quartet & Guests | Third Stream Music (Atlantic)

Third stream music refers to a certain sub-genre of jazz that uses a lot of classical elements. The Modern Jazz Quartet consisted of pianist John Lewis, bassist Percy Heath, drummer Connie Kay and vibraphonist Milt Jackson. Many people don‘t like the vibraphone, because they say it sounds like elevator music, but they‘re wrong. They team up with the Jimmy Giuffre 3 on two tracks, with a variety of different musicians on „Exposure“ (including a bassoonist, a harpist and a cellist) and the Beaux Arts String Quartet on the B-side. This results in layered, comforting music.
For the playlist: „Finé“, „Exposure“, „Sketch“

17 | Wayne Shorter | Introducing Wayne Shorter (Vee Jay)

Not the first album featuring Shorter, but the first one with him as a band leader. And what a leader he is! Shorter‘s compositions here are rather standard but the quintet fills them with life and the solos are simply amazing. The rhythm section (Paul Chambers on bass and Jimmy Cobb on drums) are especially worth noting. There‘s also an instrumental jazz version of „Mack the Knife“, one of those songs where you can rarely go wrong. A really good debut and a sign for the great stuff to come.
For the playlist: „Harry‘s Last Stand“, „Down in the Depths“, „Mack the Knife“

18 | Art Pepper Quintet | Smack Up (Contemporary)

Alto saxophonist Pepper teams up with Jack Sheldon (trumpet), Pete Jolly (piano), Frank Butler (drums) and Jimmy Bond (bass) to play six compositions written by saxophonists, one of them an original by Pepper himself. It‘s upbeat, joyful jazz. The absolute standout is Bond on bass.
For the playlist: „Smack Up“, „Las Cuevas de Mario“, „A Bit of Basie“, „How Can You Lose“, „Tears Inside“

19 | Hank Mobley | Soul Station

Tenor saxophonist Mobley has a very smooth sound to his saxophone and plays it with passion and joy. He leads a quartet with Art Blakey, Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers, who happens to be one of my favorite bassists ever. Mobley is the band leader in a very literal sense of the word; I would like to hear more of the rhythm section, but only Mobley and Blakey get solos. The solos they do have are very pleasant and enjoyable though.
For the playlist: „Remember“, „This I Dig of You“, „Dig Dis“, „If I Should Lose You“

20 | Charles Mingus | Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (Candid)

Mingus teams up with Ted Curson (trumpet), Dannie Richmond (drums) and Eric Dolphy (woodwinds) to play four longer pieces. The album pretends to be a live record by having Mingus tell the audience not to clap and not to make any sound at all, so as not to disturb the recording. It‘s not really necessary, but it does contribute to the feeling of a live performance in a jazz club. The pieces are all rather fast-paced and a lot of fun.
For the playlist: „What Love“, „All the Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud‘s Wife Was Your Mother“ (what a title!)

21 | Muddy Waters | Muddy Waters at Newport 1960 (Chess)

As far as I can tell (and I only have the information the Internet offers me, which might be wrong), this is only the second album Muddy Waters released. It‘s a live album featuring versions of well-known classics. Especially the performance of „Got My Mojo Working“ in two parts (the second one serving as a kind of encore) is great.
For the playlist: „I Got My Brand on You“, „Soon Forgotten“ (I think these are originally from 1960, at least this document seems to imply as much)

22 | Nino Rota | La Dolce Vita (RCA)

The movie is clearly a masterpiece, but the score can stand on its own and doesn‘t really need the music to work. Rota mixes his jazzy lounge themes with popular music like marching bands and „Jingle Bells“ in the same song. These medleys do feel disjointed, but that‘s the point. It‘s not about the creation of a consistent mood; Rota is far more interested in exploring how completely different tunes can complement each other.
For the playlist: „La Dolce Vita / Arrivederci Roma / Caracalla‘s la Bersagliera“, „Patricia / Canzonetta / Entrata Dei Gladiatori / Parlami Di Me (Valzer)“, „Lola (Yes Sir, That‘s My Baby) / Parlami Di Me (Valzer) / Stormy Weather“, „Blues / La Dolce Vita Dei Nobili“, „La Dolce Vita Nella Villa di Fregene / Can Can / Jingle Bells / Blues / La Dolce Vita / Why Wait“, „La Dolce Vita – Finale“

23 | Eric Dolphy Quintet | Outward Bound (New Jazz)

Dolphy plays three different woodwinds on this album that all have a very different, but distinct sound: On three tracks he plays the alto saxophone which is probably the most well-known of the three, but he also plays bass clarinet on two tracks and flute on another. He‘s supported by Jaki Byard on piano, George Tucker on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. Freddie Hubbard joins him on five of the six tracks playing the trumpet. The result is a good Hard Bop album with interesting changes in style.
For the playlist: „On Green Dolphin Street“, „Les“, „Glad to Be Unhappy“

24 | Charles Mingus and His Jazz Groups | Mingus Dynasty (Columbia)

Mingus is basically trying to create a cohesive whole out of different approaches. The groups in the title refer to a smaller sextet (piano – bass – drums – two saxes – trombone) that makes up the core group; you can only find that line-up on „New Now Know How“. But he incorporates different instruments where they seem to fit the composition, including a baritone saxophone, a flute, a vibraphone, two cellos and trumpets. Additionally, the players aren‘t the same in the different tracks. This makes for a very adventurous album with different songs; not every one of them is great but you have to admire the dedication.
For the playlist: „Diane“, „Gunslinging Bird“, „Far Wells, Mill Valley“, „Mood Indigo“

25 | The Horace Silver Quintet | Horace-Scope (Blue Note)

The bright yellow color of the cover indicates the tone of the album: It‘s joyful, happy Hard Bop, beautifully composed by Silver and performed admirably by the quintet (Horace Silver on piano, Blue Mitchell on the trumpet, Junior Cook on tenor saxophone, Gene Taylor on bass and Roy Brooks on drums). The structure steps away from the „rhythm section provides background and wind instruments do solos“ way and instead sees saxophone and trumpet weaving their way through solos and periods of joint playing. „Without You“ is not composed by Silver and works a bit differently, but is still pretty enough for me not to find fault in that.
For the playlist: „Where You At?“, „Without You“, „Yeah!“, „Me and My Baby“

26 | Nat Adderley | Work Song (Riverside)

The line-up here is interesting and unusual. Next to Adderley‘s cornet, there‘s Montgomery‘s guitar and Sam Jones on cello (and occassionally on bass). Timmons plays piano as usual and Percy Heath is responsible for the bass. The title and the red-heavy cover may imply an album of critical songs, but it‘s more or less a straightforward Hard Bop album with a mixture of original compositions and standards. That‘s not really a criticism, because the artistry on display here is wonderful, especially on the title track.
For the playlist: „Work Song“, „Mean to Me“, „Fallout“, „My Heart Stood Still“

27 | Duke Ellington | Blues in Orbit (Columbia)

According to producer Teo Macero‘s liner notes this album is primarily a blues album. The music is indeed firmly rooted in the blues style, but the approach (as it seems to me) is primarily a jazz one. The album primarily features compositions by Ellington, but there‘s one by Jimmy Hamilton and one by Billy Strayhorn (and multiple ones where Ellington collaborated with someone else). Some of these tracks are jazz standards, like „C Jam Blues“ which had already been recorded by Ellington previously. The special thing about this album is the big band instrumentation. Occasionally it is very squawking, but that gives it a nice tone. It‘s not as orchestral as Miles Davis‘s collaborations with Gil Evans, but it‘s also not as powerful as many more modern big band albums. The general tone remains rooted in the blues, so the music stays subdued even in its louder moments.
For the playlist: „Sweet & Pungent“, „Blues in Blueprint“, „The Swingers Get the Blues, Too“, „The Swinger‘s Jump“

28 | Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | The Unexpected (Top Rank)

This is a weird one. The backing band, „The Secret 7“ was actually secret and nobody knew who the people were who played on the album (later it was revealed by Jean Thielemans who besides him played on the album). The instrumentation (piano, harmonica, trumpet, guitar, saxophone, bass, organ, drums) implies a jazz record, but certainly an uneven one. The result is certainly „jazz“, but it‘s unlike other records from the genre that were around at the time. It‘s playful and experiments with sped-up vocals (blasphemy for purists!). I have no idea about the continuity of this idea, but it really sounds like a precursor of what Frank Zappa would later do in the ‚60s; even the melodies and the way of singing on the vocal tracks remind me of his Mothers of Invention albums. An unexpected pleasure.
For the playlist: „And the Cow Jumped Over the Moon“, „In the Beginning“, „March of the Diddles“, „And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon“

29 | The Modern Jazz Quartet | Pyramid (Atlantic)

For any jazz combo that includes a vibraphone, there‘s a certain danger that it overtakes all the other instruments with its clear, high-pitched sound and, in moments this is almost the case here. But the other members of the quartet are skilled enough to keep this album from becoming a Jackson solo show. It‘s very cool jazz, so don‘t look for complicated solos or rhythm-focused dance tracks. The songs are mostly calm and quiet, but feature a lot of interesting ideas.
For the playlist: „Pyramid“, „How High the Moon“, „Romaine“

30 | Duke Ellington and His Orchestra | Piano in the Background (Columbia)

I adore big bands mostly for the power they‘re able to infuse into musical material. When there‘s four trumpets, four trombones and five woodwind players it will be loud of course, but Ellington manages his band very well, making everything seem consistent. The title makes it seem like he has a small role, which is not really true. The piano is not in the background (it is more quiet than the winds, but that‘s normal) and he leads the orchestra while he‘s playing. So the title seems like false modesty. Anways, it‘s really a lot of fun.
For the playlist: „What Am I Here For“, „Kinda Dukish / Rockin‘ in Rhythm“, „Mid-Riff“

31 | Bobby Timmons | This Here Is Bobby Timmons (Riverside)

Pianist Timmons plays four original compositions and five covers of well-known and not-so-well-known standards with Jimmy Cobb on drums and Sam Jones on bass. The focus is clearly on Timmons though; his playing is not subdued, but confident and decorated (in „My Funny Valentine“ maybe a bit too much). The songs on here are all rather short for a jazz album which enables him to put nine tracks on a 37-minute-long album. The strong pieces are the fast ones where the rhythm section provides the propelling rhythm, and Timmons plays his embellishing melodies.
For the playlist: „This Here“, „Moanin‘“, „The Party‘s Over“, „Dat Dere“, „Come Rain or Come Shine“, „Joyride“

32 | Joan Baez | Joan Baez (Vanguard)

Interpretations of traditional folk songs with very sparse instrumentation; in most cases it‘s just Baez singing and accompanying herself with the acoustic guitar. On a few tracks, John Hellerman joins her with his acoustic guitar. This mostly works because of Baez‘s unique voice, so if you have problems with that you will certainly not get into this album.
For the playlist: „Silver Dagger“, „House of the Rising Sun“, „All My Trials“, „Donna Donna“

33 | Freddie Hubbard | Open Sesame (Blue Note)

I haven‘t had time to listen to Hubbard, but I love 1971‘s Sing Me a Song of Songmy. This is not in that vein. It‘s a fairly standard Hard Bop album with originals and standards played by a quintet. Next to Hubbard‘s trumpet, there‘s Clifford Jarvis on drums, Sam Jones on bass, Tina Brooks on tenor sax and McCoy Tyner on piano. Tyner would of course go on to do enormously great things. The title track is the most interesting one.
For the playlist: „Open Sesame“, „But Beautiful“, „One Mint Julep“

34 | Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster | Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster (Verve)

A meeting of two saxophones: Mulligan plays the baritone and Webster the tenor. They bring out the best in each other, making beautifully smooth cool jazz.
For the playlist: „Chelsea Bridge“, „Sunday“, „Who‘s Got Rhythm“, „Go Home“

35 | Etta James | At Last! (Argo)

This album consists mostly of covers of well-known standards, but each of these versions is unique by James‘s great wonderful vocal performances that range from quiet crooning to powerful shouting. The orchestrals stay support her vocals and stay in the background, which is a very good thing, because music like this with a lot of orchestra runs the high risk of being cheesy. But that danger is fortunately averted. James makes these songs her own and creates a consistent album. The biggest problem is the weird chorus in „Tough Mary“, but that‘s just one of ten songs.
For the playlist: „Trust in Me“, „I Just Want to Make Love to You“, „At Last“

36 | Yusef Lateef | The Centaur and the Phoenix (Riverside)

Lateef plays four different woodwind instruments on this album: the tenor saxophone, the flute, the oboe and the arghul, a traditional instrument from Egypt. He‘s supported by a band of piano, bass, drums, three brass and two woodwinds. The music is beautiful, but the big band character is missing a bit for me. It just seems like he didn‘t need a larger ensemble to play these songs in this fashion.
For the playlist: „Ev‘ry Day (I Fall in Love)“, „The Centaur and the Phoenix“, „Iqbal“, „The Philanthropist“

37 | Ray Charles | Ray Charles in Person (Atlantic)

A live album recorded on May 28th, 1959 in the Alonzo Herndon Stadium in Atlanta. Considering its live nature (and the recording date) the sound quality here is astounding. Charles‘s vocals, the background singers and the instruments sound very clear. Of course it features „What‘d I Say“ in a very good version, but the highlights for me are the two completely instrumental tracks in the middle that have a jazz-y nature I didn‘t expect from Charles.
For the playlist: „The Spirit-Feel“ (apparently released for the first time in 1960)

38 | Bill Evans Trio | Portrait in Jazz (Riverside)

Bill Evans was the pianist on Miles Davis‘s famous album Kind of Blue, released in 1959. He also co-wrote „Flamenco Sketches“ and „Blue in Green“; a rendition of the latter can be found on this album, but with much sparser instrumentation. The Bill Evans Trio consisted of himself at the piano, of course, Scott LaFaro on bass and Paul Motian on drums. Evans is not a very playful pianist, meaning he doesn‘t feel the need to show off, but the way he carries these songs (almost all of which are covers of well-known standards) deserves recommendation. LaFaro also gets a few solos, but Motian seems to stay in the background (in my opinion maybe a bit too much). The selection of songs is quite good and interesting; apparently Evans decided to cover the Snow White song „Someday My Prince Will Come“ before Miles Davis had the same idea the year later. Overall, a pleasant piano trio but not very surprising.
For the playlist: „Witch Craft“, „Peri‘s Scope“, „Blue in Green“

39 | Georges Brassens | N° 7 [Les funérailles d‘antan] (Philips)

Considering that I can barely understand any of the lyrics, this works very well for me.
For the playlist: „Les funérailles d‘antan“, „Embrasse-les tous“, „L‘orage“

40 | The Jazztet | Meet the Jazztet (Argo)

A sextet consisting of Art Farmer on trumpet, Benny Golson on tenor saxophone (both are explicity mentioned on the cover as well), Curtis Fuller on trombone, Addison Farmer on bass, Lex Humphries on drums and the great McCoy Tyner on piano. Half the tracks were composed by Golson, the other half are standards. The highlight here are the solos, especially by Humphries and Tyner (especially the latter).
For the playlist: „Serenata“, „Avalon“, „Blues March“, „Mox Nix“, „Easy Living“

41 | Ben Webster & Oscar Peterson | Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (Verve)

Webster‘s playing style on the tenor saxophone is one of the smoothest I‘ve heard. The entire cool mood is supported by the Oscar Peterson Trio, here complete with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen. They only play standards, but their versions are very nice and the musicians complement each other well.
For the playlist: „When Your Lover Has Gone“, „How Deep Is the Ocean (How High Is the Sky)“, „Sunday“

42 | Bernard Herrmann | Psycho (Unicorn-Kanchana)

Technically this is a 1975 release, but I think I can justify its inclusion by the release date of the movie. The score is a significant part of the movie and gives it a chilling atmosphere. The piercing violins are legendary of course, but the best part for me is the foreboding atmosphere prevalent in tracks like „Prelude“.
For the playlist: „Prelude“, „Temptation“, „The Bathroom / The Murder / The Body“

43 | Curtis Fuller‘s Quintet | Blues-ette (Savoy)

The trombone is certainly not the instrument anyone immediately thinks about when talking about jazz instruments. Indeed there‘s quite a number of trombonists in jazz music. Fuller being on eof the most famous. Joining him here are Tommy Flanagan on piano, Jimmy Garrison on bass, Al Harewood on drums and Benny Golson on tenor saxophone. Fuller and Golson would later be part of Art Blakey‘s Jazz Messengers. The stereo mix doesn‘t really work here, at least not on headphones. The trombone is on the left side, the saxophone on the right side, but they firmly stay there even during longer solos which is quite unnerving. But the moments when Fuller and Golson play the exact same melody, that only sounds different because of the instruments, are very interesting. Golson and Garrison are the MVPs here.
For the playlist: „Undecided“, „Minor Vamp“

44 | Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers | The Big Beat (Blue Note)

Another album by Art Blakey, but this one is not quite as good as the live album from Paris. It‘s a studio album featuring a quintet of notable musicians. There‘s the band leader Blakey himself of course, but we also have Jymie Merritt on basss, Lee Morgan on trumpet, Wayne Shorter on tenor sax and Bobby Timmons on the piano. Shorter provided three of the six compositions on the album, there‘s also a standard and Timmons‘s „Dat Dere“, making this the third album of 1960 I‘ve heard featuring some version of that song. It seems to have been quite popular. Timmons and Blakey have the most notable solos, on „Dat Dere“ and „Sakeena‘s Vision“, respectively.
For the playlist: „Sakeena‘s Vision“, „Politely“

45 | João Gilberto | O amor, o sorriso e a flor (Odeon)

This album has the reputation of being an important step in popularizing Brazilian music outside of Brazil, specifically Bossa nova that would stay relevant during the coming years. It features twelve songs in just twenty minutes, meaning that each song is incredibly short which in itself wouldn‘t be a problem, but I do think that the length of the songs does not benefit them at all. Instead it feels like song ideas that could turn into great songs were recorded and they just left it at that. The music itself is basically the classic bossa nova sound with very emphasized string arrangements, but the individual songs fail to make an impact for me.
For the playlist: „Só em teus braços“, „Meditação“

46 | Eden Ahbez „Nature Boy“ | Eden‘s Island: The Music of an Enchanted Isle (Del-Fi)

I won‘t use this space here to talk about the exploitative nature of Exotica that certainly exists, but this album is a bit different from the rest of the genre. The name „Nature Boy“ on the cover comes from his most famous composition, which was made popular by Nat „King“ Cole. There‘s also a photograph of Ahbez with Brian Wilson during the recording sessions for Smile. Ahbez was sort of a forefather of the hippie movement despite him basically just copying ideas that were around for far longer („back to nature“ has always been a trend). This album features instrumentals that evoke the feeling of being on an isolated, peaceful island, complete with fitting sound effects. Ahbez recites some rather generic „all is one“ poetry, but the result is actually rather pleasant. There‘s also a pretty horrible song called „Mongoose“ which is unfortunate at best. I don‘t like saying people are „ahead of their time“, because I believe that isn‘t possible. It‘s the other way around: Mass movements have their roots in smaller movements or even individuals. I do think Ahbez can be seen as one (of many) roots for the second half of the ‚60s, showing that what happened there, didn‘t just appear from thin air.
For the playlist: „Eden‘s Cove“, „Full Moon“, „The Old Boat“

47 | Gene Ammons | Boss Tenor (Prestige)

Ammons leads a quintet consisting of himself, Tommy Flanagan on piano, Doug Watkins on bass, Arthur Taylor on drums and Ray Barretto on congas. This means that there‘s a rather large rhythm section mostly focused on providing him the background so he can show that he‘s the boss of the tenor saxophone. Problem is, he‘s not. He‘s good, but he‘s not the boss. But the album isn‘t bad.
For the playlist: „Hittin‘ the Jug“, „My Romance“, „Canadian Sunset“

48 | Elvis Presley | Elvis Is Back! (RCA Victor)

After Presley came back from the army on March 2 and was discharged on March 5, he recorded these twelve songs in just four days over two weeks (March 20 & 21, April 3 & 4) and four days after the last session (April 8), the album was already released. That‘s incredibly fast work but the result doesn‘t seem rushed. The production is smooth and the songs sound good. The album goes a bit more into the pop direction, which works very well with the instrumentation and Presley‘s improved vocals. But to me, it‘s mostly fine; there are only few tracks that I really like and the rest mostly leaves me cold. But it‘s certainly a nice album.
For the playlist: „Fever“, „Thrill of Your Love“, „Like a Baby“

49 | Mel Tormé & The Marty Paich Orchestra | Swings Shubert Alley (Verve)

Jazz versions of famous Broadway songs with orchestral backing. The comparison to Sinatra, who is probably more well-known than Tormé is not too far off, but I feel like this album relies more on the orchestra than most Vocal Jazz albums do. It‘s one of those cases where an occasional song from the album works better for me than the entire thing at once, not because it gets repetitive, which it doesn‘t, but rather because this style just seems better suited for „song listening“ (at least to me).
For the playlist: „Too Close for Comfort“, „All I Need Is a Girl“, „Old Devil Moon“

50 | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella Fitzgerald Sings Songs from the Soundtrack of „Let No Man Write My Epitaph“ (Verve)

I haven‘t seen the movie but I doubt that matters because what this boils down to is a rather typical album of standards. The mood is maybe a bit too consistently mellow.
For the playlist: „Angel Eyes“, „I Cried for You“, „September Song“, „One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)“
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

With songs I took a different approach. I could rank all of the songs I like but I don't really like ranking all that much and it's far more difficult with songs than albums. So below you'll find my Top 20 and an unranked alphabetical list of the songs I specifically put on my playlist. Again, this is all very on the surface.

1 | Tarheel Slim & Little Ann | "Can't Stay Away"
2 | Rosco Gordon | "Sit Right Here"
3 | Oscar Brown Jr. | "But I Was Cool"
4 | Max Roach | "Triptych"
5 | The Bikinis | "Crazy Vibrations"

6 | The Highway Men | "Michael Row the Boat Ashore"
7 | Édith Piaf | "Non, je ne regrette rien"
8 | Olatunji! | "Kiyakiya"
9 | Bernard Herrmann | "Prelude"
10 | Charlie Mingus | "Moanin'"

11 | Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | "And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon"
12 | Duke Ellington & His Orchestra | "Kinda Dukish / Rockin' in Rhythm"
13 | Larry Verne | "Mr. Custer"
14 | Ella Fitzgerald | "Mack the Knife (Live)"
15 | Billy Miranda | "Go Ahead"

16 | Howlin' Wolf | "Spoonful"
17 | Lambert, Hendricks & Ross | "Everybody's Boppin'"
18 | Ornette Coleman | "Ramblin'"
19 | Miriam Makeba | "Mbube"
20 | Tina Brooks | "Miss Hazel"

SONGS

Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „El Ghada (The Jungle)“
Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „El-lail (The Night)“
Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „Isma‘a (Listen)“
Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „La Ibky (Don‘t Cry)“
Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „Mahawara (The Fugue)“
Ahmed Abdul-Malik | „Searchin‘“
Nat Adderley | „Fallout“
Nat Adderley | „Mean to Me“
Nat Adderley | „My Heart Stood Still“
Nat Adderley | „Work Song“
Eden Ahbez | „Eden‘s Cove“
Eden Ahbez | „Full Moon“
Eden Ahbez | „The Old Boat“
Gene Ammons | „Canadian Sunset“
Gene Ammons | „Hittin‘ the Jug“
Gene Ammons | „My Romance“
Sonny Anderson | „Yes, I‘m Gonna Love You“
Winifred Atwell | „Silver Shoes“
Charles Aznavour | „Je M‘voyais Déjà“
Joan Baez | „All My Trials“
Joan Baez | „Donna Donna“
Joan Baez | „House of the Rising Sun“
Joan Baez | „Silver Dagger“
Elmer Bernstein | „The Magnificent Seven: Main Title and Calvera“
Chuck Berry | „Too Pooped to Pop“
Richard Berry | „Have Love Will Travel“
The Bikinis | „Crazy Vibrations“
Mister Acker Bilk | „Acker‘s Away“
Mister Acker Bilk | „Summer Set“
Umberto Bindi | „Il nostro concerto“
The Black Dynamites | „Brush Those Tears“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ft. Barney Wilen & Bud Powell | „Bouncing with Bud (Live)“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ft. Barney Wilen & Bud Powell | „Dance of the Infidels (Live)“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers | „The Midget (Live)“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers | „A Night in Tunisia (Live)“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers | „Politely“
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers | „Sakeena‘s Vision“
Bobby „Blue“ Bland | „Cry, Cry, Cry“
The Blonde Bomber | „I Am to Blame“
Georges Brassens | „Embrasse-les tous“
Georges Brassens | „Les funérailles d‘antan“
Georges Brassens | „L‘orage“
Jacques Brel | „Le moribond“
Tina Brooks | „Good Old Soul“
Tina Brooks | „Miss Hazel“
Tina Brooks | „Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You“
Tina Brooks | „Theme for Doris“
Tina Brooks | „True Blue“
Tina Brooks | „Up Tight‘s Creek“
The Brothers Four | „The Green Leaves of Summer“
The Brothers Four | „Greenfields“
James Brown & The Famous Flames | „I‘ll Go Crazy“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Afro-Blue“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Brown Baby“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „But I Was Cool“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Dat Dere“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Humdrum Blues“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Rags and Old Iron“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Signifyin‘ Monkey“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Somebody Buy Me a Drink“
Oscar Brown Jr. | „Work Song“
The Cadets | „Car Crash“
Ray Charles | „Georgia on My Mind“
Ray Charles | „The Spirit-Feel (Live)“
Petula Clark | „I Love a Violin“
James Clay | „New Delhi“
Ornette Coleman | „The Face of the Bass“
Ornette Coleman | „Free“
Ornette Coleman | „Ramblin‘“
Ornette Coleman | „Una Muy Bonita“
John Coltrane | „Cousin Mary“
John Coltrane | „Countdown“
John Coltrane | „Giant Steps“
John Coltrane | „Mr. P.C.“
John Coltrane | „Syeeda‘s Song Flute“
Perry Como | „I Know What God Is“
Sam Cooke | „Chain Gang“
Sam Cooke | „Wonderful World“
The Crickets | „I Fought the Law“
The Crickets | „More Than I Can Say“
Celia Cruz | „Oyeme Aggayu“
Bobby Darin | „Beyond the Sea“
Miles Davis | „Concierto de Aranjuez“
Miles Davis | „The Pan Piper“
Miles Davis | „Saeta“
Miles Davis | „Solea“
Miles Davis | „Will O‘ the Wisp“
Eric Dolphy Quintet | „Glad to Be Unhappy“
Eric Dolphy Quintet | „Les“
Eric Dolphy Quintet | „On Green Dolphin Street“
Fats Domino | „Country Boy“
Fats Domino | „Walking to New Orleans“
Diana Dors | „April Heart“
Diana Dors | „The Point of No Return“
The Drifters | „I Count the Tears“
Duke Ellington | „Blues in Blueprint“
Duke Ellington | „Sweet and Pungent“
Duke Ellington | „The Swinger‘s Jump“
Duke Ellington | „The Swingers Get the Blues, Too“
Duke Ellington and His Orchestra | „Kinda Dukish / Rockin‘ in Rhythm“
Duke Ellington and His Orchestra | „Mid-Riff“
Duke Ellington and His Orchestra | „What Am I Here For“
Eloise Trio | „Coconut Woman“
Bill Evans Trio | „Blue in Green“
Bill Evans Trio | „Peri‘s Scope“
Bill Evans Trio | „Witch Craft“
The Everly Brothers | „Cathy‘s Clown“
The Everly Brothers | „Just in Case“
The Everly Brothers | „Love Hurts“
The Everly Brothers | „That‘s What You Do to Me“
Ella Fitzgerald | „Angel Eyes“
Ella Fitzgerald | „I Cried for You“
Ella Fitzgerald | „Mack the Knife (Live)“
Ella Fitzgerald | „One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)“
Ella Fitzgerald | „September Song“
The Frantics | „Werewolf“
Curtis Fuller‘s Quintet | „Minor Vamp“
Curtis Fuller‘s Quintet | „Undecided“
Billy Fury | „Baby How I Cried“
Serge Gainsbourg | „L‘eau à la bouche“
João Gilberto | „Só em teus braços“
João Gilberto | „Meditação“
Jimmy Giuffre | „Blue Monk“
Jimmy Giuffre | „Topsy“
Jimmy Giuffre | „Western Suite“
Rosco Gordon | „Sit Right Here“
Wilbert Harrison | „1960“
Bernard Herrmann | „The Bathroom / The Murder / The Body“
Bernard Herrmann | „Prelude“
Bernard Herrmann | „Temptation“
The Hi-Tombs | „Sweet Rockin‘ Mama“
The Highway Men | „Michael Row the Boat Ashore“
Roscoe Holcomb | „Graveyard Blues“
Roscoe Holcomb | „Stingy Woman“
John Lee Hooker | „Canal Street Blues“
John Lee Hooker | „Dusty Road“
John Lee Hooker | „Run On“
Johnny Horton | „Sink the Bismark“
Howlin‘ Wolf | „Spoonful“
Howlin‘ Wolf | „Who‘s Been Talking?“
Freddie Hubbard | „But Beautiful“
Freddie Hubbard | „One Mint Julep“
Freddie Hubbard | „Open Sesame“
Jackie & The Starlites | „Valerie“
Elmore James | „The Sky Is Crying“
Etta James | „At Last“
Etta James | „I Just Want to Make Love to You“
Etta James | „Trust in Me“
The Jazztet | „Avalon“
The Jazztet | „Blues March“
The Jazztet | „Easy Living“
The Jazztet | „Mox Nix“
The Jazztet | „Serenata“
Little Willie John | „You Hurt Me“
George Jones | „One Is a Lonely Number“
B.B. King | „Sweet Sixteen“
Ben E. King | „Spanish Harlem“
Lambert, Hendricks & Ross | „Everybody‘s Boppin‘“
The Harold Land Quintet | „The Fox“
The Harold Land Quintet | „Little Chris“
The Harold Land Quintet | „One Down“
The Harold Land Quintet | „Sims A-Plenty“
Yusef Lateef | „The Centaur and the Phoenix“
Yusef Lateef | „Ev‘ry Day (I Fall in Love)“
Yusef Lateef | „Iqbal“
Yusef Lateef | „The Philanthropist“
Little Richard | „I Got It“
John D. Loudermilk | „Midnight Bus“
John D. Loudermilk | „Tobacco Road“
Ewan MacColl | „Go Down Ye Murderers“
Miriam Makeba | „The Click Song“
Miriam Makeba | „Holilili“
Miriam Makeba | „House of the Rising Sun“
Miriam Makeba | „Mbube“
Miriam Makeba ft. Charles Coleman | „One More Dance“
Miriam Makeba | „Suliram“
Dean Martin | „Ain‘t That a Kick in the Head“
Skeets McDonald | „Where You Go (I‘ll Follow)“
Charles Mingus | „All the Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud‘s Wife Was Your Mother“
Charles Mingus | „What Love“
Charles Mingus and His Jazz Groups | „Diane“
Charles Mingus and His Jazz Groups | „Far Wells, Mill Valley“
Charles Mingus and His Jazz Groups | „Gunslinging Bird“
Charles Mingus and His Jazz Groups | „Mood Indigo“
Charlie Mingus | „Cryin‘ Blues“
Charlie Mingus | „E‘s Flat Ah‘s Flat Too“
Charlie Mingus | „Moanin‘“
Charlie Mingus | „Tensions“
Charlie Mingus | „Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting“
Billy Miranda | „Go Ahead“
Hank Mobley | „Dig Dis“
Hank Mobley | „If I Should Lose You“
Hank Mobley | „Remember“
Hank Mobley | „This I Dig of You“
The Modern Jazz Quartet | „How High the Moon“
The Modern Jazz Quartet | „Pyramid“
The Modern Jazz Quartet | „Romaine“
The Modern Jazz Quartet & Beaux Arts String Quartet | „Sketch“
The Modern Jazz Quartet & Jimmy Giuffre 3 | „Finé“
The Modern Jazz Quartet & Guests | „Exposure“
Wes Montgomery | „D-Natural Blues“
Wes Montgomery | „Gone with the Wind“
Wes Montgomery | „In Your Own Sweet Way“
Wes Montgomery | „Polka Dots and Moonbeams“
Muddy Waters | „I Got My Brand on You (Live)“
Muddy Waters | „Soon Forgotten (Live)“
Muddy Waters | „When I Get to Thinking“
Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster | „Chelsea Bridge“
Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster | „Go Home“
Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster | „Sunday“
Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster | „Who‘s Got Rhythm“
Johnny O‘Keefe | „She‘s My Baby“
Olatunji! | „Akiwowo“
Olatunji! | „Baba Jinde“
Olatunji! | „Kiyakiya“
Olatunji! | „Odun De! Odun De!“
Olatunji! | „Shango“
Roy Orbison | „Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)“
Buck Owens | „Above and Beyond“
Gino Paoli | „Il cielo in una stanza“
Art Pepper Quintet | „A Bit of Basie“
Art Pepper Quintet | „Las Cuevas de Mario“
Art Pepper Quintet | „How Can You Lose“
Art Pepper Quintet | „Smack Up“
Art Pepper Quintet | „Tears Inside“
Édith Piaf | „Non, je ne regrette rien“
The Platters | „Sleepy Lagoon“
Elvis Presley | „Fever“
Elvis Presley | „Like a Baby“
Elvis Presley | „Thrill of Your Love“
Max Roach | „All Africa“
Max Roach | „Driva Man“
Max Roach | „Freedom Day“
Max Roach | „Triptych“
Nino Rota | „Blues / La Dolce Vita Dei Nobili“
Nino Rota | „La Dolce Vita / Arrivederci Roma / Caracalla‘s la Bersagliera“
Nino Rota | „La Dolce Vita – Finale“
Nino Rota | „La Dolce Vita Nella Villa di Fregene / Can Can / Jingle Bells / Blues / La Dolce Vita / Why Wait“
Nino Rota | „Lola (Yes Sir, That‘s My Baby) / Parlami Di Me (Valzer) / Stormy Weather“
Nino Rota | „Patricia / Canzonetta / Entrata Dei Gladiatori / Parlami Di Me (Valzer)“
George Russell and His Orchestra | „Chromatic Universe, Part 3“
George Russell and His Orchestra | „Dimensions“
George Russell and His Orchestra | „The Lydiot“
Sabu | „The Oracle“
Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | „And the Cow Jumped Over the Moon“
Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | „And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon“
Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | „In the Beginning“
Raymond Scott & The Secret 7 | „March of the Diddles“
The Shadows | „Apache“
The Shirelles | „Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow“
Wayne Shorter | „Down in the Depths“
Wayne Shorter | „Harry‘s Last Stand“
Wayne Shorter | „Mack the Knife“
The Horace Silver Quintet | „Me and My Baby“
The Horace Silver Quintet | „Where You At?“
The Horace Silver Quintet | „Without You“
The Horace Silver Quintet | „Yeah!“
Nina Simone | „If Only For Tonight“
Nina Simone | „Nobody Knows You When You‘re Down and Out“
Nina Simone | „Since My Love Has Gone“
Tarheel Slim & Little Ann | „Can‘t Stay Away“
The Staple Singers | „Pray On“
Steve & Eydie | „The Facts of Life“
Bobby Timmons | „Come Rain or Come Shine“
Bobby Timmons | „Dat Dere“
Bobby Timmons | „Joyride“
Bobby Timmons | „Moanin‘“
Bobby Timmons | „The Party‘s Over“
Bobby Timmons | „This Here“
Mel Tormé & The Marty Paich Orchestra | „Too Close for Comfort“
Mel Tormé & The Marty Paich Orchestra | „All I Need Is a Girl“
Mel Tormé & The Marty Paich Orchestra | „Old Devil Moon“
Ike & Tina Turner | „A Fool in Love“
Larry Verne | „Mr. Custer“
Dinah Washington | „This Bitter Earth“
Ben Webster & Oscar Peterson | „How Deep Is the Ocean (How High Is the Sky)“
Ben Webster & Oscar Peterson | „Sunday“
Ben Webster & Oscar Peterson | „When Your Lover Has Gone“
Mary Wells | „Bye Bye Baby“
Link Wray & The Wraymen | „Comanche“
Link Wray & The Wraymen | „Hand Clapper“
Link Wray & The Wraymen | „Raw-Hide“
Link Wray & The Wraymen | „Rendezvous“
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Finally, regarding your song lists: I won't even pretend that I'm an expert on release dates or actually care about whether something was released on 29 December 1960 or 2 January 1961. It's important for this poll nonetheless, so please try to pay attention when the song you put in was originally released. I will also try to check the songs from the individual Top 20s. If I find information that suggests a song was not released in the specific year of the month, I will tell you and ask you, if it's okay for me to exclude it from consideration (and move everything below it up). If you have a different source, you can tell me and I will immediately shout up. I'm really not the person to tell which sources are reliable and which aren't. And we will definitely have cases where there's different sources (especially for the early '60s).
If you don't want me to change your list, I won't. At the end of the day, it's your list and you get to decide what's on it and what isn't.

I think that's everything I wanted to mention. If I forgot something, I'll make a new post.

Now I'll shout up and wish a lot of fun to everyone and lots of great discoveries. :romance-kisscheek:
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Much in the same way as Schüttelbirne, I don't plan to put too much stock in release years. I'll make sure to check and see with each year to see if there is any overlap on votes received, especially because the 1960s (especially early 1960s) can be so complicated with release dates. I'll personally be using RYM as the final say on release years, so I recommend your all check out RYM as well before submitting lists. But if it's on your list, it's on your list! Thanks! Excited for this!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

SONGS

1 ¦ Spoonful ¦ Howlin' Wolf
2 ¦ Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
3 ¦ New Orleans ¦ Gary U.S. Bonds
4 ¦ Madison Blues (unreleased master) ¦ Elmore James
5 ¦ My Girl Josephine ¦ Fats Domino
6 ¦ Finger Poppin' Time ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
7 ¦ Let's Do The Cha-Cha ¦ Magnificents
8 ¦ Suddenly There's A Valley ¦ Drifters
9 ¦ Sweet Rockin' Mama ¦ Hi-Tombs
10 ¦ Doggin' Around ¦ Jackie Wilson
11 ¦ Who's Been Talking ¦ Howlin' Wolf
12 ¦ Please Come Home For Christmas ¦ Charles Brown
13 ¦ Baby You're Right ¦ James Brown
14 ¦ Honky Tonky ¦ Drifters
15 ¦ A Rockin' Good Way ¦ Brook Benton & Dinah Washington
16 ¦ Big Boy Pete ¦ Olympics
17 ¦ I'll Go Crazy ¦ James Brown
18 ¦ I Got To Know ¦ Five Royales
19 ¦ Back Door Man ¦ Howlin' Wolf
20 ¦ Sugar Bee ¦ Cleveland Crochet
21 ¦ (I Wanna) Love My Life Away ¦ Gene Pitney
22 ¦ Blue Angel ¦ Roy Orbison
23 ¦ He Will Break Your Heart ¦ Jerry Butler
24 ¦ Rebecca ¦ Joe Turner
25 ¦ She's Tough ¦ Jerry McCain
26 ¦ Only The Lonely ¦ Roy Orbison
27 ¦ Walking To New Orleans ¦ Fats Domino
28 ¦ Let It Rock ¦ Chuck Berry
29 ¦ I'm Shakin' ¦ Little Willie John
30 ¦ Turn My Back On You ¦ Billy Fury
31 ¦ Found A Woman ¦ Jack Scott
32 ¦ Temperature 110 ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
33 ¦ Stay ¦ Maurice Williams & Zodiacs
34 ¦ Kiddio ¦ Brook Benton
35 ¦ I Count The Tears ¦ Drifters
36 ¦ Baby (You Got What It Takes) ¦ Brook Benton & Dinah Washington
37 ¦ When Will I Be Loved ¦ Everly Brothers
38 ¦ The Madison Time ¦ Ray Bryant
39 ¦ Scoop Scoobie Doobie ¦ Jessie Hill
40 ¦ Darling Honey Angel Child ¦ Earl King
41 ¦ Get In Touch ¦ Jessie Hill
42 ¦ Daddy's Gonna Tell You No Lie ¦ Cosmic Rays
43 ¦ That Makes It Tough ¦ Buddy Holly
44 ¦ Many Tears Ago ¦ Connie Francis
45 ¦ Cathy's Clown ¦ Everly Brothers
46 ¦ Georgia On My Mind ¦ Ray Charles
47 ¦ Spanish Harlem ¦ Ben E. King
48 ¦ Chain Gang ¦ Sam Cooke
49 ¦ Shop Around ¦ Miracles
50 ¦ What To Do ¦ Buddy Holly
51 ¦ Since You're Gone ¦ Diablos
52 ¦ Shoppin' For Clothes ¦ Coasters
53 ¦ Dr. Brown ¦ Buster Brown
54 ¦ Too Close Blues ¦ Lightnin' Slim
55 ¦ Stand By Me ¦ Little Junior Parker
56 ¦ Santa Claus ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
57 ¦ Wild Weekend ¦ Rockin' Rebels
58 ¦ People Will Say We're In Love ¦ Spaniels
59 ¦ Buzz Me Baby ¦ Slim Harpo
60 ¦ Walking Dr. Bill ¦ B.B. King
61 ¦ You Talk Too Much ¦ Joe Jones
62 ¦ Shakin' All Over ¦ Johnny Kidd & Pirates
63 ¦ Stuck On You ¦ Elvis Presley
64 ¦ The Wind ¦ Jesters
65 ¦ Don't Dog Me ¦ Clyde McPhatter (Drifters)
66 ¦ Three Nights A Week ¦ Fats Domino
67 ¦ I Know It's True ¦ James Brown
68 ¦ I Don't Know Why (But I Do) ¦ Clarence Henry
69 ¦ Heartbreak (It's Hurtin' Me) ¦ Jon Thomas
70 ¦ A Fool In Love ¦ Ike & Tina Turner
71 ¦ Dance By The Light Of The Moon ¦ Olympics
72 ¦ You're The Boss ¦ LaVern Baker & Jimmy Ricks
73 ¦ I Got To Find My Baby ¦ Chuck Berry
74 ¦ Knocking At Your Door ¦ Elmore James
75 ¦ Let's Have A Ball ¦ Wee Willie Wayne
76 ¦ Look What You've Done ¦ Muddy Waters
77 ¦ Big Boss Man ¦ Jimmy Reed
78 ¦ Tell Me ¦ Howlin' Wolf
79 ¦ Walk Don't Run ¦ Ventures
80 ¦ Wonderful World ¦ Sam Cooke
81 ¦ Ooh Poo Pah Doo (part 1) ¦ Jessie Hill
82 ¦ Rendezvous With You ¦ Desires
83 ¦ Go Wild Little Sadie ¦ Jack Scott
84 ¦ Good Man Gone Bad ¦ B.B. King
85 ¦ The Twist ¦ Chubby Checker
86 ¦ Bewildered ¦ James Brown
87 ¦ Mind Your Own Business Babe ¦ Arthur Gunter
88 ¦ Little Bitty Boy ¦ T.K. Hulin
89 ¦ My Love Is ¦ Little Willie John
90 ¦ Tonight's The Night ¦ Shirelles
91 ¦ Rip Van Winkle ¦ Devotions
92 ¦ Cause I Love You ¦ Carla and Rufus
93 ¦ Angel Baby ¦ Rosie & Originals
94 ¦ Close Together ¦ Jimmy Reed
95 ¦ Tell Me A Tale ¦ Charm Kings
96 ¦ Sheila ¦ Tommy Roe (Judd version)
97 ¦ Pony Time ¦ Goodtimers
98 ¦ Pinegrove Blues ¦ Nathan Abshire & Pinegrove Boys
99 ¦ Stop Your Crying ¦ Five Keys
100 ¦ To Be Loved (Forever) ¦ Pentagons
101 ¦ Patsy ¦ Jack Scott
102 ¦ I'm Glad You Reconsidered ¦ Lowell Fulson
103 ¦ The Sky Is Crying ¦ Elmore James
104 ¦ The Big Time Spender ¦ Cornbread & Biscuits
105 ¦ What Am I Gonna Do ¦ Smokey Smothers
106 ¦ It's You I Need ¦ Billy Fury
107 ¦ Volare ¦ Bobby Rydell
108 ¦ I Didn't Do It ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith
109 ¦ I Love My Baby ¦ Melvin Simpson
110 ¦ Bayou Drive ¦ Clifton Chenier
111 ¦ I Done Got Wise ¦ Muddy Waters
112 ¦ Rocket To The Moon ¦ Chris Kenner
113 ¦ Lorraine ¦ Buddy Covelle
114 ¦ Tutti Frutti ¦ Lawrence Shaul with the Aristocats
115 ¦ Twistin' USA ¦ Chubby Checker
116 ¦ When We Dance ¦ Marveliers
117 ¦ Satellite Baby ¦ Roosevely Sykes
118 ¦ Double Trouble ¦ Muddy Waters
119 ¦ There Is Something On Your Mind ¦ Bobby Marchan
120 ¦ White Silver Sands ¦ Bill Black's Combo
121 ¦ Queen From Bowling Green ¦ Art Buchanan
122 ¦ Bye Bye Johnny ¦ Chuck Berry
123 ¦ My Baby ¦ Ray Charles
124 ¦ Come On Home ¦ Eddie Boyd & Daylighters
125 ¦ Everyday ¦ Aaron Neville
126 ¦ That's All You Gotta Do ¦ Brenda Lee
127 ¦ I Gotta Know ¦ Elvis Presley
128 ¦ Once Upon A Time ¦ Rochell & Candles
129 ¦ I'm Worried ¦ Elmore James
130 ¦ I Can't Hold Out ¦ Elmore James
131 ¦ The Hoochi Coochi Coo ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
132 ¦ The Madison ¦ Al Brown's Tunestoppers
133 ¦ Hey Little Girl ¦ Roosevelt Lee
134 ¦ After I've Done The Best That I Can ¦ Hightower Brothers
135 ¦ Meanest Woman ¦ Muddy Waters
136 ¦ Don't Come Back ¦ Little Mac
137 ¦ Gonna Be Too Late ¦ Five Keys
138 ¦ Greenfields ¦ Brothers Four
139 ¦ Over You ¦ Aaron Neville
140 ¦ Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes) ¦ Carla Thomas
141 ¦ I Fought The Law ¦ Crickets
142 ¦ Oh, Little One ¦ Jack Scott
143 ¦ Cry, Cry, Cry ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
144 ¦ Come On ¦ Earl King
145 ¦ This Magic Moment ¦ Drifters
146 ¦ Here Come My Gal ¦ Ben Harper
147 ¦ I'm Your Doctor ¦ Muddy Waters
148 ¦ Baby Come On Home ¦ Calvin Spears
149 ¦ Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That ¦ Mable John
150 ¦ Natural Born Lover ¦ Fats Domino
151 ¦ You've Got To Love Her With A Feeling ¦ Freddy King
152 ¦ Ain't That A Kick In The Head ¦ Dean Martin
153 ¦ Last Date ¦ Floyd Cramer
154 ¦ Clementine ¦ Bobby Darin
155 ¦ Learning The Game ¦ Buddy Holly
156 ¦ Nobody But Me ¦ Drifters
157 ¦ Howlin' For My Darling ¦ Howlin' Wolf
158 ¦ A Good Man ¦ Irma Thomas
159 ¦ Ain't No Business ¦ Peppermint Harris
160 ¦ Don't Dog Your Woman ¦ Buster Brown
161 ¦ Young Lady (alternate) ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
162 ¦ Found Love ¦ Jimmy Reed
163 ¦ Switchin' In The Kitchen ¦ Joe Turner
164 ¦ Cool Down Baby ¦ Lightnin' Slim
165 ¦ Wang Dang Doodle ¦ Howlin' Wolf
166 ¦ Ride On Josephine ¦ Bo Diddley
167 ¦ Let's Take A Walk ¦ Crescendos
168 ¦ Too Poor ¦ Detroit Jr.
169 ¦ 1960 ¦ Wilbert Harrison
170 ¦ Lonesome Cabin ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
171 ¦ I Know ¦ Ray Washington
172 ¦ My Heart's Desire ¦ Jiving Juniors
173 ¦ I Know ¦ Spaniels
174 ¦ Chills And Fever ¦ Ronnie Love
175 ¦ Wild One ¦ Bobby Rydell
176 ¦ This Old Heart ¦ James Brown
177 ¦ My Advice ¦ Billy Fury
178 ¦ It's Now Or Never ¦ Elvis Presley
179 ¦ Diamonds And Pearls ¦ Paradons
180 ¦ One Week From Today ¦ Shep & Limelites
181 ¦ I Feel So Good ¦ Muddy Waters
182 ¦ Good Timin' ¦ Jimmy Jones
183 ¦ Hush Hush ¦ Jimmy Reed
184 ¦ Everybody's Somebody's Fool ¦ Connie Francis
185 ¦ Trouble In Paradise ¦ Crests
186 ¦ My Woman Has A Black Cat Bone ¦ Poppa Hop
187 ¦ Stormy Monday Blues ¦ Elmore James
188 ¦ A Woman, A Lover, A Friend ¦ Jackie Wilson
189 ¦ Who's Lovin' You ¦ Miracles
190 ¦ Are You Lonesome Tonight ¦ Elvis Presley
191 ¦ Open Road ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
192 ¦ I'm Thinking of You ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
193 ¦ Life Goes On ¦ Johnny Cash
194 ¦ Leavin' Tennessee ¦ Al Garner
195 ¦ I Only Want You ¦ Passions
196 ¦ I Idolize You ¦ Ike & Tina Turner
197 ¦ I Burned Your Letter ¦ Five Keys
198 ¦ The Watusi ¦ Vibrations
199 ¦ Baby Sweets ¦ Spaniels
200 ¦ Lonely Weekends ¦ Charlie Rich
201 ¦ Shu Rah ¦ Fats Domino
202 ¦ Because They're Young ¦ Duane Eddy
203 ¦ Once In Awhile ¦ Chimes
204 ¦ All In My Mind ¦ Maxine Brown
205 ¦ Workin' Again ¦ Robert T. Smith
206 ¦ Such A Night ¦ Elvis Presley
207 ¦ Carnival Time ¦ Al Johnson
208 ¦ Mule Skinner Blues ¦ Fendermen
209 ¦ Going To The City ¦ Bobby Mathis & Sevilles
210 ¦ Sleigh Bell Rock ¦ Three Aces & A Joker
211 ¦ Lonesome Road Blues ¦ Muddy Waters
212 ¦ True Love Ways ¦ Buddy Holly
213 ¦ You've Got The Power ¦ James Brown
214 ¦ Lonely Lover ¦ Heartbeats
215 ¦ Nothin' But The Devil ¦ Lightnin' Slim
216 ¦ Four Winds ¦ Bobby Charles
217 ¦ Before I Grow Too Old ¦ Fats Domino
218 ¦ King of Lovers ¦ Ray Frazier & Blenders
219 ¦ Sadie My Lady ¦ Drifters
220 ¦ Confessin' The Blues ¦ Chuck Berry
221 ¦ Your Teeth And Your Tongue ¦ Five Keys
222 ¦ Everybody Does Wrong Some Time ¦ Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
223 ¦ Yogi ¦ Ivy Three
224 ¦ It's All Right (With Me) ¦ Heartbeats
225 ¦ I Done Woke Up ¦ Louisiana Red
226 ¦ Rock Me Easy ¦ Jerry Crutchfield
227 ¦ Calendar Girl ¦ Neil Sedaka
228 ¦ Long John Silver ¦ Sammy Griggs & Coronets
229 ¦ I'll Never, Never Let You Go ¦ James Brown
230 ¦ Money Fever ¦ Sticks McGhee
231 ¦ Across The Tracks ¦ Robert Parker
232 ¦ A Mess Of Blues ¦ Elvis Presley
233 ¦ Do What I Say ¦ Bo Diddley
234 ¦ Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport ¦ Rolf Harris
235 ¦ Just A Dream ¦ Muddy Waters
236 ¦ Cradle of Love ¦ Johnny Preston
237 ¦ Dizzy ¦ Pete Peters & Rhythmmasters
238 ¦ Perfidia ¦ Ventures
239 ¦ Twistin' Pneumonia ¦ Genies
240 ¦ Shimmy Time ¦ Orioles
241 ¦ Hot Rod Lincoln ¦ Johnny Bond
242 ¦ Come Dance With Me ¦ Eddie Quinteros
243 ¦ Ain't That Love ¦ Four Tops
244 ¦ Outa Tune ¦ Big Four
245 ¦ Tee-Na-Na ¦ Dicky Williams
246 ¦ Memories (Of My Mother) ¦ Fairfield Four
247 ¦ Rumbun' Tumbun' Baby ¦ Emeralds
248 ¦ That's All I Want Baby ¦ Memphis Slim & Willie Dixon
249 ¦ Crazy About You Baby ¦ Sam Baker
250 ¦ Have Love, Will Travel ¦ Richard Berry & Pharaohs
251 ¦ Gee Baby ¦ Joe & Ann
252 ¦ Next Christmas ¦ Beale Street Boys
253 ¦ You've Got To Pass This Way Again ¦ Fenton Robinson
254 ¦ Oh My Mojo ¦ Volcanos
255 ¦ Mean Woman ¦ Freddie Fender
256 ¦ Rockin' Up ¦ Ronnie Molleen
257 ¦ So Blue ¦ Vibrations
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Most sources have 'We Insist' as a 1961 release. Wikipedia says 1960, but that seems to be based on list of planned December releases published part way through the month, which may have been inaccurate. So no real evidence of a 1960 release that I can find.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

ALBUMS

1. The Buddy Holly Story, Volume 2 - Buddy Holly
2. Think! - James Brown & The Famous Flames
3. Big Joe Rides Again - Joe Turner
4. Mr. Rhythm & Blues / Fingerpoppin' Time - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters
5. A Lot Of Dominos - Fats Domino
6. The Spaniels - The Spaniels
7. Rockin' With Wanda - Wanda Jackson
8. Brenda Lee - Brenda Lee
9. Found Love - Jimmy Reed
10. New King Of The Blues - Buster Brown
11. Elvis Is Back - Elvis Presley
12. What Am I Living For - Jack Scott
13. Rockin' At The Hops - Chuck Berry
14. Bo Diddley Is A Gunslinger - Bo Diddley
15. The Sound Of Fury - Billy Fury
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

DaveC wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:02 pm Most sources have 'We Insist' as a 1961 release. Wikipedia says 1960, but that seems to be based on list of planned December releases published part way through the month, which may have been inaccurate. So no real evidence of a 1960 release that I can find.
The Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture has it as a 1960 release: https://nmaahc.si.edu/object/nmaahc_2015.103.3ab

There's other sources as well, but I admit the actual release date is not clear. I'd prefer to stay with 1960, but it's Holden's call.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:33 pm
DaveC wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:02 pm Most sources have 'We Insist' as a 1961 release. Wikipedia says 1960, but that seems to be based on list of planned December releases published part way through the month, which may have been inaccurate. So no real evidence of a 1960 release that I can find.
The Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture has it as a 1960 release: https://nmaahc.si.edu/object/nmaahc_2015.103.3ab

There's other sources as well, but I admit the actual release date is not clear. I'd prefer to stay with 1960, but it's Holden's call.
I plan to consider all votes, so this doesn't matter to me. Any votes for this album in the 1961 poll will go for the same album when considering the finals. However, should this album make the finals it will be listed under 1961 in the rollout, as that is the RYM year.

But like I said, no need to change it!
Last edited by Holden on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

My list unfortunately is very surface-level, I just haven’t found much time to delve into the early 60’s even though most of these albums below were in my All-Time list last year.

Hopefully I can discover some gems from y’all!

Albums:

1. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
2. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
3. Etta James - At Last!
4. Muddy Waters - Muddy Waters at Newport 1960
5. Elvis Presley - Elvis is Back!
6. Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite
7. Bobby Timmons - This Here is Bobby Timmons
8. Bill Evans - Portrait of Jazz
9. Babatunde Olatunji - Drums of Passion

Songs:

1. Etta James - At Last
2. Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind
3. John Coltrane - Spiral
4. Bobby “Blue” Bland - Cry, Cry, Cry
5. Etta James - A Sunday Kind of Love
6. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
7. Miles Davis - Will O’ the Wisp
8. Miles Davis - Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio
9. Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World
10. Howlin’ Wolf - Spoonful
11. Etta James - Stormy Weather
12. Babatunde Olatunji - Jin-Go-La-Ba
13. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
14. John Coltrane - Mr. P.C.
15. Elvis Presley - Make Me Know It
16. Bill Evans - Blue in Green
17. Bobby Timmons - This Here
18. John Coltrane - Cousin Mary
19. John Coltrane - Countdown
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Songs

1. Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
2. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
3. Etta James - At Last
4. The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
5. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
6. Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - Shop Around
7. John Coltrane - Spiral
8. Joe Jones - You Talk Too Much
9. Chubby Checker - The Twist
10. Wes Montgomery - Four On Six
11. Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight?
12. Buddy Holly & The Crickets - More Than I Can Say
13. Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
14. Elmore James - The Sky Is Crying
15. Elvis Presley - It's Now or Never
16. Crests - Step by Step
17. Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans
18. John Coltrane - Syeeda's Song Flute
19. Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs - Stay
20. Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind

21. The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
22. John Coltrane - Bye, Bye Blackbird
23. Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Let's Go, Let's Go, Let’s Go
24. John Coltrane - The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
25. Nina Simone - Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Hair
26. John Coltrane - Mr. P.C.
27. Jerry Butler - He Will Break Your Heart
28. John Coltrane - 26-2
29. The Drifters - Save the Last Dance for Me
30. Patsy Cline - Lovesick Blues
31. The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
32. The Shadows - Apache
33. The Everly Brothers - Love Hurts
34. The Drifters - I Count the Tears
35. The Brothers Four - Greenfields
36. The Shirelles - Tonight's the Night
37. Johnny Kidd and The Pirates - Shakin' All Over
38. John Coltrane - Countdown
39. John Coltrane - Naima
40. Jackie Wilson - Night
41. Elvis Presley - A Mess of Blues
42. Ella Fitzgerald - Medley: We Three Kings Of Orient Are/O Little Town Of Bethlehem
43. Buddy Holly & The Crickets - True Love Ways
44. B.B. King - Rock Me Baby
45. Johnny Burnette - You’re Sixteen
46. Marty Robbins - Don't Worry
47. Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
48. Patsy Cline - Crazy Dreams
49. Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
50. Stan Getz - The Look of Love

51. The Drifters - This Magic Moment
52. Roy Orbison - Uptown
53. Johnny Tillotson - Poetry in Motion
54. Floyd Cramer - Last Date
55. Eddie Cochran - Three Steps to Heaven
56. Duane Eddy - Because They're Young
57. Charlie Rich - Lonely Weekends
58. Bobby Bland - Lead Me On
59. Brenda Lee - That's All You Gotta Do
60. Dion - Lonely Teenager
61. Bo Diddley - You Know I Love You
62. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
63. Buddy Holly & The Crickets - Learning the Game
64. Charles Aznavour - Je m'voyais deja
65. Edith Piaf - Mon Dieu
66. Ella Fitzgerald - Mack the Knife
67. Elvis Presley - Reconsider Baby
68. George Jones - The Window Up Above
69. Joan Baez - Silver Dagger
70. The Safaris - Image of a Girl
71. The Ventures - Walk - Don't Run

BU Bo Diddley - Road Runner
BU Bob Moore - My Three Sons
BU Chuck Berry - Bye Bye Johnny
BU Chuck Berry - Confessin' the Blues
BU Chuck Berry - I Got To Find My Baby
BU Etta James - All I Could Do Is Cry
BU Hank Ballard and the Midnighters Finger Poppin' Time
BU Ike and Tina Turner A Fool in Love
BU John Coltrane - Satellite
BU Little Willie John Let Them Talk
BU Little Willie John Sleep
BU Patsy Cline How Can I Face Tomorrow
BU Patsy Cline There She Goes
BU Paul Anka Puppy Love
BU Paul Anka Adam and Eve
BU Randy Van Horne Singers Meet the Flinstones
BU Rosie and The Originals Angel Baby
BU Spencer-Hagen Orchestra The Andy Griffith Show
BU The Everly Brothers What Kind of Girl Are You
BU The Everly Brothers Sleepless Nights
BU The Everly Brothers Always It's You
BU The Highwaymen Michael (Row the Boat Ashore)
BU The Soul Stirrers I'm a Pilgrim
BU The Soul Stirrers Listen to the Angels Sing
BU The Soul Stirrers Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone
Last edited by Henry on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Albums

1. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
2. Sam Cooke - The Wonderful World of Sam Cooke
3. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
4. Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!
5. Etta James - At Last!
6. Ray Charles - Ray Charles in Person
7. The Everly Brothers - A Date with The Everly Brothers
8. Chuck Berry - Rockin' at the Hops
9. Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
10. Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz
11. John Coltrane - Lush Life
12. Frank Sinatra - Nice 'N' Easy
13. Charles Mingus - Blues and Roots
14. João Gilberto - Brazil's Brilliant/Gilberto and Jobim
15. Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
16. Art Pepper - Smack-Up
17. The Everly Brothers - It's Everly Time
18. Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook
19. Dizzy Gillespie - Gillespiana
20. Charles Mingus - Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Henry wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 am
6. John Coltrane - Body and Soul

17. John Coltrane - Central Park West

19. John Coltrane - Liberia
All three of these were indeed recorded in 1960, but from what I can gather, they were first released on 1964's Coltrane's Sound. Since we're going with release dates, these would be considered 1964. I can keep them in or take them out, but it's your decision.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Glad to see this starting up, I'm looking forward to exploring the decade (especially some of the early years) more! An album that I heard for the first time last month that I'd recommend to anyone who's into the Robert Johnson-style blues is Country Negro Jam Sessions. It's not strictly acoustic guitar blues (there's also a lot of fiddle tracks), but it's all pretty great music as far as I'm concerned.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

1960: an exciting mixture of folk, instrumental and vocal jazz, soul and chanson.

Top 30 Albums:
  1. Joan Baez - Joan Baez
  2. Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
  3. Ray Charles - The Genius Hits the Road
  4. João Gilberto - O Amor, o Sorriso e a Flor
  5. Brenda Lee - Brenda Lee
  6. Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
  7. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
  8. Etta James - At Last!
  9. The Everly Brothers - A Date with the Everly Brothers
  10. Betty Carter - The Modern Sound of Betty Carter
  11. The Ventures - Walk Don’t Run
  12. Melba Liston - Melba Liston and Her ‘Bones
  13. Charlie Mingus - Blues & Roots
  14. Mina - Il Cielo in una Stanza
  15. Olatunji! - Drums of Passion
  16. Roy Orbison - Roy Orbison Sings Lonely and Blue
  17. The Shirelles - Tonight’s the Night
  18. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley Is a Gunslinger
  19. Julie London - Around Midnight
  20. Georges Brassens - N° 7 [Les Funérailles d’antan]
  21. Pete Seeger - The Rainbow Quest
  22. Chubby Checker - Twist with Chubby Checker
  23. Joanie Sommers - Positively the Most!
  24. The Crickets - In Style with The Crickets
  25. Etta Jones - Don’t Go to Strangers
  26. Oscar Brown Jr. - Sin & Soul
  27. Connie Francis - Sings Spanish and Latin American Favorites
  28. Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich - The Drum Battle at JATP
  29. Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back!
  30. Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
Top 80 Songs:
  1. Ray Charles - Georgia on My Mind
  2. Joan Baez - Donna Donna
  3. The Shadows - Apache
  4. Édith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien
  5. Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely
  6. Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight
  7. The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
  8. Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
  9. Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
  10. Wes Montgomery - West Coast Blues
  11. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
  12. João Gilberto - Samba di una nota só
  13. Ben E. King - Spanish Harlem
  14. Joan Baez - Silver Dagger
  15. The Everly Brothers - Cathy’s Clown
  16. The Ventures - Walk Don’t Run
  17. Charlie Mingus - Moanin’
  18. Mina - Il Cielo in una stanza
  19. The Drifters - Save the Last Dance for Me
  20. Georges Brassens - Les Funérailles d’antan
  21. Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
  22. Harry Belafonte & Odetta - There’s a Hole in the Bucket
  23. Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz (Look at His Eyes)
  24. Elvis Presley - It's Now or Never
  25. John Coltrane - Giant Steps
  26. Etta James - At Last
  27. Melba Liston - Pow!
  28. Bo Diddley - Doing the Crawdaddy
  29. Olatunji! - Jin-Go-Lo-Ba (Drums of Passion)
  30. Bill Evans Trio - Autumn Leaves
  31. Joanie Sommers - I Like the Likes of You
  32. Pete Seeger - Oh, Had I a Golden Thread
  33. Chubby Checker - The Twist
  34. Joan Baez - The House of the Rising Sun
  35. Connie Francis - Malagueña
  36. Elvis Presley - Such a Night
  37. Julie London - Around Midnight
  38. Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
  39. The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
  40. Betty Carter - On the Alamo
  41. B. B. King - I’ve Got a Right to Love My Baby
  42. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
  43. Mina - Serafino campanero
  44. João Gilberto - Meditação
  45. The Everly Brothers - Love Hurts
  46. Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich - The Drum Battle
  47. Wes Montgomery - Gone with the Wind
  48. Melba Liston - “What’s My Line” Theme
  49. The Crickets - More Than I Can Say
  50. Oscar Brown, Jr. - Rags and Old Iron
  51. The Shirelles - Tonight’s the Night
  52. Etta Jones - Don’t Go to Strangers
  53. Johnny Kid & The Pirates - Shakin’ All Over
  54. Freddy Quinn - Melodie der Nacht
  55. Bo Diddley - Road Runner
  56. Connie Francis - Tzena Tzena
  57. Ray Charles - Moonlight in Vermont
  58. Johnny Burnette - You’re Sixteen
  59. Freddie King - Sen-Sa-Shun
  60. Shirley Horn - Like Someone in Love
  61. The String-A-Longs - Wheels
  62. Connie Francis - Everybody’s Somebody’s Fool
  63. Damita Jo - I’ll Save the Last Dance for You
  64. Nelson Pinedo - El Vaquero
  65. The Everly Brothers - So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go So Bad)
  66. Cliff Richard & The Shadows - I’m Gonna Get You
  67. Hank Mobley - Remember
  68. Annette Funicello - Pineapple Princess
  69. Maxine Brown - All in My Mind
  70. Mary Wells - Bye Bye Baby
  71. Muddy Waters - Tell Me Baby
  72. Bert Kaempfert - Wonderland by Night
  73. Bessie Jones - Sometimes
  74. Julie London - Lonely Night in Paris
  75. Bourvil - La Tactique du gendarme
  76. Johnny Tillotson - Poetry in Motion
  77. Etta James - All I Could Do Was Cry
  78. Bob Azzam - Mustapha
  79. The Miracles - Who’s Loving You
  80. Dean Martin - Ain’t That a Kick in the Head
My Albums of 1960 on RYM
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

This decade will be tough.

I expect 1960-1963 to be the easiest years for me to rank but even so I have a list of 127 tunes to go through for 1960.

And I expect 1965-1968 to be darn near impossible to rank the Top 20.

A lot of surface listening as far as albums go though. I'll probably have a solid Top 3 and the rest will be new discoveries.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Songs:
1. Billy Fury - Wondrous Place
2. Etta James - I Just Want To Make Love To You
3. The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
4. Dean Martin - Ain't That A Kick In The Head
5. The Everly Brothers - Love Hurts
6. The Olympics - Shimmy Like Kate
7. The Miracles - Shop Around
8. Barry Humphries - That's Your Funeral
9. Chubby Checker - The Twist
10. Johnny Kidd & The Pirates - Shakin' All Over
11. Elvis Presley - A Mess Of Blues
12. Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
13. Etta James - At Last
14. Lavern Baker - Bumble Bee
15. Ron Moody - Reviewing The Situation
16. Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
17. Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love
18. Eddie Cochran - Three Steps To Heaven
19. Rolf Harris - Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport
20. Elmer Bernstein - Main Title from The Magnificent Seven
21. Bo Diddley - Road Runner
22. The Shadows - Apache
23. The Brothers Four - Greenfields
24. Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely
25. The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
26. Hollywood Argyles - Alley Oop
27. Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
28. The Shadows - Man Of Mystery
29. Jessie Hill - Ooh Poo Pah Doo
30. Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind
31. Martin Horsey & Keith Hampshire - Consider Yourself
32. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
33. Keith Hamshere - Where Is Love?
34. Elvis Presley - Black Star
35. Chubby Checker - The Hucklebuck
36. James Brown & The Famous Flames - Think
37. Lonnie Donegan - My Old Man's A Dustman
38. Andy Stewart - Donald, Where's Your Troosers?
39. Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs - Stay
40. Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
41. Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' For My Baby
42. Bernard Herrmann - Prelude from Psycho
43. The Staple Singers - Pray On
44. Little Willie John - I'm Shakin'
45. Elvis Presley - Stuck On You
46. Dmitri Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110: Allegro molto
47. Mary Wells - Bye Bye Baby
48. Elmore James - Knocking At Your Door
49. Buddy Holly - True Love Ways
50. Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas
51. Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful
52. Edith Piaf - Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
53. Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
54. Ben E. King - Spanish Harlem
55. The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
56. Johnny Burnette - You're Sixteen
57. Ike & Tina Turner - I Idolize You
58. The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
59. Chuck Berry - Jaguar And Thunderbird
60. Johnny Preston - Running Bear
61. Arthur Alexander - She's The Girl That Radiates That Charm
62. Johnny Kidd & The Pirates - Restless
63. Arthur Alexander - Sally Sue Brown
64. Ricky Valance - Tell Laura I Love Her
65. Ron Moody - You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two
66. Dick Van Dyke - Put On A Happy Face
67. Billy Bland - Let The Little Girl Dance
68. Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
69. Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
70. Jimmy Jones - Good Timin'
71. Lonnie Donegan - Lorelei
72. Fats Domino - My Girl Josephine
73. The Coasters - Shoppin' For Clothes
74. Nina Simone - Nobody Knows You If You're Down And Out
75. Chuck Berry - Let It Rock
76. Elmore James - I Can't Hold Out
77. Hank Ballard - Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go
78. Ella Fitzgerald - Mack The Knife
79. Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Pistol Packin' Mama
80. Chuck Berry - I Got To Find My Baby
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

#1 The Shirelles- Will You Love Me Tomorrow
#2 Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs- Stay
#3 Ray Charles- Georgia On My Mind
#4 Sam Cooke- Wonderful World
#5 Buddy Holly- True Love Ways
#6 The Drifters- Save Last Dance for Me
#7 Elvis Presley- It's Now or Never
#8 Etta James- At Last
#9 Elvis Presley- Are You Lonesome Tonight?
#10 Sam Cooke- Chain Gang

#11 The Everly Brothers- Cathy's Clown
#12 The Miracles- Shop Around
#13 Elvis Presley- It Feels So Right
#14 Ben E. King- Spanish Harlem
#15 The Drifters- I Count the Tears
#16 The Ventures- Walk--Don't Run
#17 Roy Orbison- Only the Lonely
#18 Chubby Checker- The Twist
#19 Elvis Presley- Reconsider Baby
#20 Jerry Butler- He Will Break Your Heart

#21 Jimmy Jones- Good Timin'
#22 Johnny Kidd & The Pirates- Shakin' All Over
#23 Jackie Wilson- Doggin' Around
#24 The Drifters- This Magic Moment
#25 Ike & Tina Turner- A Fool in Love
#26 Brenda Lee- I'm Sorry
#27 Joe Jones- You Talk Too Much
#28 Howlin' Wolf- Spoonful
#29 The Everly Brothers- When Will I Be Loved
#30 Elvis Presley- A Mess of Blues

#31 Elvis Presley- Such A Night
#32 Chuck Berry- Let It Rock
#33 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters- Finger Poppin' Time
#34 Billy Bland- Let the Little Girl Dance
#35 James Brown- Think
#36 Neil Sedaka- Calendar Girl
#37 Johnny Burnette- Dreamin'
#38 Fats Domino- Walking To New Orleans
#39 Charlie Rich- Lonely Weekends
#40 The Miracles- Way Over There

#41 Dinah Washington & Brook Benton- Baby (You Got What It Takes)
#42 Paul Evans- Happy-Go-Lucky Me
#43 Marty Robbins- Don't Worry
#44 Kathy Young & The Innocents- A Thousand Stars
#45 The Miracles- Who's Lovin' You
#46 Johnny Burnette- You're Sixteen
#47 Bobby Bland- Cry, Cry, Cry (Single Version)
#48 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters- Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go
#49 Dinah Washington & Brook Benton- A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall in Love)
#50 Chuck Berry- Bye Bye Johnny
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Very nice list Stonie!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

ALBUMS:

1. Bo Diddley -- Bo Diddley Is a Gunslinger
2. Etta James -- At Last
3. Frank Sinatra -- Nice 'n' Easy
4. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers -- The Big Beat
5. Buddy Holly -- The Buddy Holly Story Vol. 2
6. Link Wray & The Wraymen -- Link Wray & The Wraymen
7. The Everly Brothers -- It's Everly Time
8. Roy Orbison -- Lonely and Blue
9. John Coltrane -- Giant Steps
10. Lightnin' Slim -- Rooster Blues
11. Freddie Hubbard -- Open Sesame
12. Otis Spann -- Otis Spann Is the Blues
13. James Brown -- Think!
14. Jimmy Reed -- Found Love
15. Dean Martin -- This Time I'm Swinging
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

SONGS:

1. Dean Martin -- Ain't That A Kick In The Head
2. Sam Cooke -- Wonderful World
3. Otis Redding & The Pinetoppers -- Shout Bamalama
4. Etta James -- At Last
5. Little Willie John -- I'm Shakin'
6. Howlin' Wolf -- Spoonful
7. Ella Fitzgerald -- One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
8. Johnny Kidd & The Pirates -- Shakin' All Over
9. Elmore James -- The Sky Is Crying
10. Nolan Strong & The Diablos -- Since You're Gone
11. The Shirelles -- Will You Love Me Tomorrow
12. The Everly Brothers -- Love Hurts
13. Bo Diddley -- Roadrunner
14. The Crickets -- I Fought The Law
15. Ben E. King -- Spanish Harlem

16. The Miracles -- Shop Around
17. Black Ace -- I Am The Black Ace
18. Roy Orbison -- Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
19. Billy Bland -- Let The Little Girl Dance
20. Ray Charles -- Georgia On My Mind
21. Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs -- Stay
22. Jimmy Reed -- Big Boss Man
23. Dean Martin -- You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You
24. Charles Mingus -- Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
25. Bobby Vee -- Rubber Ball
26. Edith Piaf -- Non, je ne regrette rien
27. Etta James -- I Just Want To Make Love To You
28. Joan Baez -- House Of The Rising Sun
29. The Rockin' Rebels -- Wild Weekend
30. Charles Brown -- Please Come Home For Christmas

31. Neil Sedaka -- Calendar Girl
32. Hank Thompson -- A Six Pack To Go
33. Otis Spann -- I Got Rambling On My Mind
34. The Hollywood Argyles -- Alley Oop
35. Nina Simone -- Trouble In Mind
36. James Brown -- Bewildered
37. Frank Sinatra -- Embraceable You
38. Junior Wells -- Messin' With The Kid
39. The Shadows -- Apache
40. Dorival Caymmi -- Dora
41. John Coltrane -- Giant Steps
42. Carla & Rufus -- 'Cause I Love You
43. Sam Cooke -- I Fall In Love Everyday
44. Grand Kalle et l'African Jazz -- Independent Cha Cha
45. B.B. King -- Got A Right To Love My Baby
46. The Drifters -- Save The Last Dance For Me
47. Lloyd Price -- Lady Luck
48. The Platters -- Harbor Lights
49. Buddy Guy -- I Got My Eyes On You
50. The Everly Brothers -- When Will I Be Loved
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

slick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 pm ALBUMS:

10. Lightnin' Slim -- Rooster Blues
I did not include this because it's not an "album." Other then the title track it's a collection of older singles.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Hymie wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:24 pm Very nice list Stonie!
Thanks!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

slick wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:30 am SONGS:

3. Otis Redding & The Pinetoppers -- Shout Bamalama
5. Little Willie John -- I'm Shakin'
10. Nolan Strong & The Diablos -- Since You're Gone
42. Carla & Rufus -- 'Cause I Love You
45. B.B. King -- Got A Right To Love My Baby
Very impressive list, especially with these lesser known items.
SL3
Different Class

Post by SL3 »

Albums:
1 | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella In Berlin: Mack the Knife
2 | Etta James | At Last!
3 | Link Wray | Link Wray and the Wraymen
4 | June Christie | The Cool School
5 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps
6 | Odetta | At Carnegie Hall
7 | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas
8 | Muddy Waters | Live At Newport 1960
9 | Miriam Makeba | Miriam Makeba
10 | Dinah Washington & Brook Benton | The Two of Us

Songs:
1 | Everly Brothers | When Will I Be Loved
2 | Ventures | Walk Don't Run
3 | Etta James | At Last
4 | The Shirelles | Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
5 | Ben E. King | Spanish Harlem
6 | Elvis Presley | It's Now Or Never
7 | Marty Robbins | Five Brothers
8 | Lee Hazlewood with Duane Eddy & His Orchestra | The Girl On Death Row
9 | Nina Simone | Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
10 | Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs | Stay
11 | Little Willie John | I'm Shakin
12 | The Shadows | Man Of Mystery
13 | Howlin' Wolf | Spoonful
14 | Link Wray | Ain't That Lovin' You Baby
15 | Duke Reid & His Group | Duke's Cookies
16 | Edith Piaf | Non Je Ne Regrette Rien
17 | Etta James | I Just Want To Make Love To You
18 | Ray Charles | Georgia On My Mind
19 | Johnny Kidd & the Pirates | Shakin' All Over
20 | Jerry Butler | He Will Break Your Heart
21 | Sam Cooke | Wonderful World
22 | Everly Brothers | Cathy's Clown
23 | Roy Orbison | Only The Lonely
24 | Gary U.S. Bonds | New Orleans
25 | Marty Robbins | Ballad Of The Alamo
26 | Duane Eddy | Because They're Young
27 | The Shadows | Apache
28 | Dinah Washington & Brook Benton | Baby, You've Got What It Takes
29 | Al Caiola & His Orchestra | The Magnificent Seven
30 | Doris Day | Anyway The Wind Blows
31 | Ike & Tina Turner | A Fool In Love
32 | Bo Diddley | Road Runner
33 | Little Dippers | Forever
34 | Blossom Dearie | Rhode Island Is Famous For You
35 | John Barry 7 | Hit & Miss
36 | Jimmy Reed | Big Boss Man
37 | J.D. Loudermilk | Tobacco Road
38 | Ray Charles | Sticks And Stones
39 | The Delicates | Too Young To Date
40 | Mance Lipscomb | Ella Speed
41 | Sam Cooke | Chain Gang
42 | Capris | There's A Moon Out Tonight
43 | Fats Domino | Walking to New Orleans
44 | Brenda Lee | I'm Sorry
45 | Fendermen | Mule Skinner Blues
46 | The Miracles | Shop Around
47 | Freddie King | Hide Away
48 | Charles Brown | Please Come Home For Christmas
49 | The Folkes Brothers | Oh Carolina
50 | Drifters | Save The Last Dance For Me
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

SL3 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:30 am
Songs:

42 | Capris | There's A Moon Out Tonight
47 | Freddie King | Hide Away
The Capris is from 1958 and the Freddie King is 1961.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

This was recorded in 1960 but definitely not released until 1961.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Hymie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:44 pm
This was recorded in 1960 but definitely not released until 1961.
Both Discogs and RYM have the album it's from listed as 1960.

This discography does have it listed as a 1961 release, but since the sources are not in agreement, I'll keep it in.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:14 pm 1 | Max Roach | We Insist! (Candid)
This is listed as a 1961 album on both AM and RYM. I want to check it out, but not sure if I should wait until next month.
carlos74
Wannabe

Post by carlos74 »

Albums:

01 | Etta James | At Last!
02 | Muddy Waters | Muddy Waters at Newport 1960
03 | Joao Gilberto | O amor, o sorriso e a flor
04 | The Everly Brothers | A Date with the Everly Brothers
05 | Ray Charles | Ray Charles in Person
06 | Muddy Waters | Muddy Waters Sings "Big Bill"
07 | Roy Orbison | Roy Orbison Sings Lonely and Blue
08 | Wanda Jackson | Rockin' With Wanda
09 | Miles Davis | Sketches of Spain
10 | Miriam Makeba | Miriam Makeba
11 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps
12 | Hank Mobley | Soul Station
13 | Elvis Presley | Elvis Is Back!
14 | Chuck Berry | Rockin' at the Hops
15 | B.B. King | King of the Blues
16 | Bill Evans | Portrait in Jazz
17 | Otis Spann | Otis Spann Is the Blues
18 | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella in Berlin: Mack the Knife
19 | Oscar Brown | Sin & Soul
20 | Wes Montgomery | The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jackson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Schüttelbirne wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:14 pm 1 | Max Roach | We Insist! (Candid)
This is listed as a 1961 album on both AM and RYM. I want to check it out, but not sure if I should wait until next month.
Points will get counted no matter which year you put it on. I suspect several of these debatable release dates from the early sixties.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Songs:

1. Cannonball Adderley – Jeannine
2. Ornette Coleman – Ramblin
3. Chubby Checker – The Twist
4. Joao Gilberto – Samba De Una Nota So
5. Reverend Gary Davis – Death Don’t Have No Mercy
6. John Coltrane – Giant Steps
7. Miles Davis – Concierto de Aranjuez
8. Elmore James – The Sky Is Crying
9. Etta James – At Last
10. Joan Baez – El Preso Numero Nueve
11. Joan Baez – Silver Dagger
12. Charles Mingus – Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
13. Howlin‘ Wolf – Spoonful
14. Jimmy Guiffre – Western Suite
15. George Russell – Chromatic Universe Part 3
16. Charles Mingus – Moanin
17. Bye Bye Birdie Cast – The Telephone Hour
18. Miles Davis – Solea
19. Elvis Presley – Stuck On You
20. John Coltrane – Mr. P.C.
21. The Modern Jazz Quartet – Sketch
22. Joan Baez – Donna Donna
23. Babatunde Olatunji – Shango (Chant To The God Of Thunder)
24. Ray Charles – Georgia on My Mind
25. Otis Spann – Otis In The Dark
26. Otis Spann – Great Northern Stomp
27. Charles Mingus – E‘s Flat Ah‘s Flat Too
28. Hank Mobley – Remember
29. Roy Orbison – Only The Lonely
30. The Wes Montgomery Trio – Yesterdays
31. Charles Mingus – Far Wells, Mill Valley
32. Donald Byrd – Here I Am
33. Charles Mingus – Gunslinging Bird
34. The Horace Silver Quintet – Nica’s Dream
35. Jackie McLean – Francisco
Last edited by Fred on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 am, edited 16 times in total.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Holden and Schüttelbirne, looking forward to this year's journey through the sixties!

Last time we had the 60s poll, I guess about 5 or 6 years ago, I did join, but for sure there is much more to learn and discover for me. Can't wait to start listening to all the goodies.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 pm 1. Bobby Darin – Beyond the Sea
Great song, but I think it's from the 1959
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Jackson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm
The release date for the album is fairly split in two. RYM, AM and Discogs all say 1961, but Wikipedia (which has a source) and All About Jazz (which is a pretty reliable source for jazz albums) say 1960. I decided to go with 1960 because I found the entry in the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture (linked in a post above) and if there's a scientific source and a popular media source I tend to go with the scientific one. But you can certainly wait until next month, as the votes will be counted together. I really hope the album makes it because it's definitely deserving.
Listyguy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm
Fred wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:58 pm 1. Bobby Darin – Beyond the Sea
Great song, but I think it's from the 1959
I put it on my extended list, based on this single release, but apparently it was released in 1958 already as the B-side to "Mack the Knife": https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Darin-Mac ... ter/347786
I think it's not eligible, but will be in the pre-60's poll. Unless somebody says different...

Hymie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 pm SONGS

I think you're pretty well versed in release dates (certainly way better than I am), so if you say this is a 1960 release, I will accept that. I just found on Discogs, RYM, Wikipedia and this discography (No. 1777) that it is deemed a 1961 release.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:25 pm
Hymie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 pm SONGS

I think you're pretty well versed in release dates (certainly way better than I am), so if you say this is a 1960 release, I will accept that. I just found on Discogs, RYM, Wikipedia and this discography (No. 1777) that it is deemed a 1961 release.
It's listed on this box set as a 1960 release as is the flip side (Wang Dang Doodle).

SL3
Different Class

Post by SL3 »

Thanks Hymie for the date corrections on my list.
Craig
Wannabe

Post by Craig »

Albums
1 | Joan Baez | Joan Baez
2 | Etta James | At Last!
3 | Charles Mingus | Blues & Roots
4 | Muddy Waters | Muddy Waters At Newport 1960
5 | Elvis Presley | Elvis Is Back!
6 | The Everly Brothers | It's Everly Time
7 | Wes Montgomery | The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
8 | Miles Davis | Sketches of Spain
9 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps
10 | Charles Mingus | Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus
Craig
Wannabe

Post by Craig »

Songs
1. Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel) – Roy Orbison
2. Georgia On My Mind – Ray Charles
3. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow – The Shirelles
4. Cathy's Clown – The Everly Brothers
5. At Last – Etta James
6. The Twist – Chubby Checker
7. Walk, Don't Run – The Ventures
8. Apache – The Shadows
9. Shakin' All Over – Johnny Kidd & The Pirates
10. Spanish Harlem – Ben E. King
11. Save the Last Dance for Me – The Drifters
12. Wonderful World – Sam Cooke
13. I'm Sorry – Brenda Lee
14. Stay – Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs
15. Sweet Sixteen – B.B. King
16. Chain Gang – Sam Cooke
17. Walking To New Orleans – Fats Domino
18. Non, je ne regrette rien – Édith Piaf
19. Alley Oop – Hollywood Argyles
20. When Will I Be Loved – The Everly Brothers
21. Three Steps To Heaven – Eddie Cochran
22. Shop Around – The Miracles
23. He Will Break Your Heart – Jerry Butler
24. I Just Want To Make Love To You – Etta James
25. Spoonful – Howlin' Wolf
26. Road Runner – Bo Diddley
27. Tonight's the Night – The Shirelles
28. This Magic Moment – The Drifters
29. Lonely Weekends – Charlie Rich
30. The Sky Is Crying – Elmore James
31. A Fool In Love – Ike & Tina Turner
32. Doggin' Around – Jackie Wilson
33. Poetry In Motion – Johnny Tillotson
34. Oh Carolina – The Folkes Brothers
35. Giant Steps – John Coltrane
36. Good Timin' – Jimmy Jones
37. Lonely Teenager – Dion
38. I Count The Tears – The Drifters
39. Stuck on You – Elvis Presley
40. Angel Baby – Rosie & The Originals
41. Love Hurts – The Everly Brothers
42. Last Date – Floyd Cramer
43. Lead Me On – Bobby "Blue" Bland
44. Ooh Poo Pah Doo – Jessie Hill
45. True Love Ways – Buddy Holly
46. It's Now or Never – Elvis Presley
47. Gee Whiz, Look at His Eyes – Carla Thomas
48. Calendar Girl – Neil Sedaka
49. New Orleans – Gary U.S. Bonds
50. Think – James Brown
51. You Talk Too Much – Joe Jones
52. Mack the Knife – Ella Fitzgerald
53. A Mess of Blues – Elvis Presley
54. Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini – Brian Hyland
55. Are You Lonesome Tonight? – Elvis Presley
56. Puppy Love – Paul Anka
57. Wild One – Bobby Rydell
58. First Time I Met The Blues – Buddy Guy
59. Finger Poppin Time – Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
60. A Six Pack To Go – Hank Thompson
61. Messing with the Kid – Junior Wells
62. Ain't That A Kick In The Head – Dean Martin
63. Blue In Green – Bill Evans
64. Bye Bye Baby – Mary Wells
65. You Hurt Me – Little Willie John
66. More Than I Can Say – The Crickets
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Songs

1. Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
2. Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
3. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
4. Etta James - At Last
5. The Drifters - Save the Last Dance for Me
6. Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely
7. Everly Brothers - Cathy’s Clown
8. Jimmy Smith - Sonnymoon for Two
9. Marty Robbins - Big Iron
10. Ben E King - Spanish Harlem
11. Brenda Lee -- That's All You Gotta Do
12. The Ventures - Walk Don’t Run
13. The Shadows - Apache
14. Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind
15. Jimmy Reed - I Aint Got You
16. Connie Francis - Where The Boys Are
17. Elmore James - The Sky Is Crying
18. The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
19. Etta James - I Just Want To Make Love To You
20. Connie Francis - Everybody's Somebody's Fool
Last edited by Zombeels on Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Zombeels wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:50 am Songs

16. Marv Johnson - You've Got What It Takes
This is 1959, it entered the Billboard Hot 100 on !!-2-59
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Songs

1. Ray Charles / Georgia On My Mind
2. Shirelles / Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
3. Etta James / At Last
4. Connie Francis / My Heart Has A Mind of Its Own
5. Everly Brothers / Cathy's Clown
6. Sam Cooke / Wonderful World
7. Roy Orbison / Only The Lonely
8. Chubby Checker / The Twist
9. Connie Francis / Everybody's Somebody's Fool
10. The Drifters / Save The Last Dance For Me
11.Ben E. King / Spanish Harlem
12.Brenda Lee / I'm Sorry
13.Elvis Presley / It's Now Or Never
14.Edith Piaf / Non, je regrette rien
15.The Ventures / Walk Don't Run
16.Elvis Presley / Stuck on You
17.Etta James / I Just Want To Make Love To You
18.Miracles / Shop Around
19.Elvis Presley / Are You Lonesome Tonight?
20.Floyd Cramer / Last Date
21.The Shadows / Apache
22.Jerry Butler / He Will Break Your Heart
23.John Coltrane / Giant Steps
24.Johnny Kidd and the Pirates / Shakin' All Over
25.Hank Locklin / Please Help Me I'm Falling
26.Jackie Wilson / Doggin' Around
27.Stanley Brothers / Rank Stranger
28.Charles Brown / Please Come Home for Christmas
29.Everly Brothers / When Will I Be Loved
30.Brook Benton / Kiddio
31.Highwaymen / Michael
32.Jimmy Jones / Good Timin'
33.Shirelles / Tonights The Night
34.Elmore James / The Sky is Crying
35.Brook Benton/Dinah Washington / Baby (You've Got What It Takes)
36.Howlin' Wolf / Spoonful
37.Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs / Stay
38.Sam Cooke / Chain Gang
39.Howlin' Wolf / Back Door Man
40.Fats Domino / Walking To New Orleans
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

1960 Songs

1) Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful
2) Etta James - At Last
3) Little Willie John - You Hurt Me
4).The Phantom - Love Me
5) The Shadows - Apache
6) Nina Simone - Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair
7) Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind
8).The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
9) Hank Ballard & the Midnighters - Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go
10) John Coltrane - Naima
11) Otis Redding - Shout Bamalama
12) Etta James - I Just Want To Make Love To You
13) Ben E. King - Spanish Harlem
14) Junior Wells - Messin' With The Kid
15) Little Willie John - I'm Shakin'
16) Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs - Stay
17) The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
18) Tarheel Slim & Little Ann - Can't Stay Away
19).Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
20) The Staple Singers - This May Be The Last Time
21) Charles Mingus - Moanin'
22) Johnny Kidd & the Pirates - Shakin' All Over
23) The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues
24) Nina Simone - Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
25) The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
26) Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
27) Miles Davis - Saeta
28) The Drifters - This Magic Moment
29) Mary Wells - Bye Bye Baby
30) Sonny Burgess - Sadie's Back In Town
31) Bobby "Blue" Bland - Lead Me On
32) The Fendermen - Torture
33) Slim Harpo - Blues Hangover
34) The Staple Singers - Don't Drive Me Away
35) Elmore James - Rollin' & Tumblin'
36) Cleveland Crochet - Sugar Bee
37) Billy Fury - Wondrous Place
38) Dean Martin - Ain't That A Kick In The Head
39) Nolan Strong & the Diablos - Since You're Gone
40) Danny Dell - Froggy Went A Courting
41) Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
42) Dinah Washington & Brook Benton - Baby (You've Got What It Takes)
43) Elmore James - I Can't Hold Out
44) Howlin' Wolf - Back Door Man
45) Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
46) The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
47) Elmore James - The Sky Is Crying
48) The Frantics - Werewolf
49) Miles Davis - Will O' The Wisp
50) John Lee Hooker - Tupelo
51) Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely
52) Bo Diddley - Spanish Guitar
53) The Drifters - I Count The Tears
54) The Miracles - Shop Around
55) Jerry Butler - He Will Break Your Heart
56) The Everly Brothers - Love Hurts
57) James Brown - Think
58) John Coltrane - Giant Steps
59) Jimmy Reed - Found Love
60) Vince Taylor & His Playboys - I'll Be Your Hero
61) Rosie & the Originals - Angel Baby
62) Oscar Brown Jr. - But I Was Cool
63) Etta James - Trust In Me
64) John D. Loudermilk - Tobacco Road
65) The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved
66) Jessie Hill - Ooh Poo Pah Doo
67) Chuck Berry - Let It Rock
68) Jackie Wilson - Doggin' Around
69) Buddy Holly - True Love Ways
70) Eddie Cochran - Cut Across Shorty
71) Elvis Presley - Stuck On You
72) Nat Adderley - Work Song
73) Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love
74) Maxine Brown - All In My Mind
75) Bo Diddley - Road Runner
76) Sugar Pie DeSanto - I Want To Know
77) Sonny Boy Williamson II - Temperature 110
78) Serge Gainsbourg - L'eau à la bouche
79) The Stanley Brothers - Rank Stranger
80) John Coltrane - Cousin Mary
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Cup, that's a very strong song list. And we have the same number one.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

CupOfDreams wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm 1960 Songs

6) Nina Simone - Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair
As far as I'm able to tell this was originally released in 1959?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

If this thread were an ATM, it'd read 'insufficient funds' because there's a distinct shortage of Cash! I'll see myself out...JC would feature even more prominently on my 1960 lists, had Ride This Train been made a spoken word album as the social history-based vignettes at the start of each track are fascinating, the songs themselves not so much:

Albums
1 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps*
2 | Babatunde Olatunji | Drums of Passion*
3 | Etta James | At Last!
4 | Charles Mingus | Blues & Roots
5 | Georges Brassens | Et sa guitarre N°7/Les funérailles d'antan
6 | Johnny Cash | Now There Was a Song!
7 | Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers | The Big Beat
8 | Karlheinz Stockhausen | Kontakte*
9 | Marty Robbins | More Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs
10 | Muddy Waters | At Newport 1960*
11 | Miles Davis | Sketches of Spain
12 | Johnny Kidd & the Pirates | Shakin' All Over EP
13 | The Shirelles | Tonight's the Night
14 | Wes Montgomery | And His Incredible Guitar*
15 | Tina Brooks | True Blue
16 | Ornette Coleman | Change of the Century
17 | Ray Charles | Ray Charles in Person
18 | James Brown and the Famous Flames | Think!
19 | Jackie McLean | Capuchin Swing
20 | Joan Baez | Joan Baez
21 | Johnny Cash | Ride This Train
22 | Chuck Berry | Rockin' at the Hops
23 | Bo Diddley | In the Spotlight
24 | Bill Evans Trio | Portrait in Jazz*
25 | Billy Fury | The Sound of Fury

Songs
1 | Babatunde Olatunji | Shango (Chan-go)*
2 | John Coltrane | Countdown*
3 | Etta James | At Last
4 | Bo Diddley | Roadrunner
5 | Johnny Cash | Transfusion Blues (a.k.a. Cocaine Blues)
6 | The Shirelles | Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
7 | Billy Fury | Wondrous Place
8 | The Shadows | Apache
9 | Georges Brassens | L'orage
10 | Ike & Tina Turner | A Fool in Love
11 | Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers | Sakeena's Vision
12 | Tina Brooks | Miss Hazel
13 | Johnny Kidd and the Pirates | Shakin' All Over
14 | Miles Davis Quintet | Salt Peanuts
15 | John D. Loudermilk | Tobacco Road*
16 | Singin' Sammy Ward & Sherri Taylor | Oh Lover
17 | Barrett Strong | I'm Gonna Cry (If You Quit Me)
18 | Marty Robbins | Prairie Fire
19 | James Brown & the Famous Flames | Bewildered
20 | Muddy Waters | Tiger in Your Tank*
21 | Aretha Franklin | Today I Sing the Blues
22 | Etta James | Anything to Say You're Mine
23 | Charles Mingus | E's Flat Ah's Flat Too
24 | Ornette Coleman | Free
25 | Johnny Cash | My Shoes Keep Walking Back to You
26 | Jackie McLean | Capuchin Swing
27 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps*
28 | Georges Brassens | Le verger du roi Louis
29 | Babatunde Olatunji | Oya (Aw-Yah)*
30 | Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers | It's Only a Paper Moon
31 | Charles Mingus | Moanin'
32 | Marty Robbins | Streets of Loredo
33 | Tina Brooks | True Blue [Alternate Take]
34 | Ornette Coleman | Change of the Century
35 | The Shirelles | Oh, What a Waste of Love
36 | Miles Davis with Joaquin Rodriguo & Gil Evans | Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio
37 | James Brown & the Famous Flames | So Long
38 | Wes Montgomery | West Coast Blues*
39 | Johnny Cash | Dorraine of Ponchartrain
40 | Billy Fury | Don't Say It's Over

*Discovered through AM(F)
All I got inside is vacancy!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Zombeels wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:50 am 9. Marty Robbins - Big Iron
A landmark song but one released in 1959.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

mileswide wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:35 am
14 | Miles Davis Quintet | Salt Peanuts
This is from Steamin' ... and should therefore be 1961 (unless you have a different source). Do you want to change it?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:54 am This is from Steamin' ... and should therefore be 1961 (unless you have a different source). Do you want to change it?
I've got what was coming to me! Could you nudge everything from Tobacco Road up one place?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”