Should we consider expanding the number of albums from 3000 to 5000?

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Should we consider expanding the number of albums from 3000 to 5000?

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

For quite some time now the songs list has been expanded from 6,000 to 10,000. Before that, the ratio between albums was very clear 3000 albums/6000 songs. I honestly think that made perfect sense. But now that there are 10,000 songs but still only 3,000 albums it opens the door to more songs making the list but the album list remains very limited. I honestly believe that if we expanded the album portion to 5,000 it would only make sense. If 4,000 new song spots have been opened up I think we should also open up 2,000 new album spots to keep the site balanced.

Obviously, there is no pressure but I just think that it is about time that this update comes. It seems that there is a ton of bubbling under albums that are still very acclaimed but have been knocked off the top 3,000 even though critical opinion hasn't shifted too much. I guess in my opinion it just makes for more balanced statistics if the number of albums increases along with side songs.
Edre the Depeche Head
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Should we consider expanding the number of albums from 3000 to 5000?

Post by Rob »

I don't know, many of the lower ranked albums and bubblers don't have that many lists. I suspect things good get rather meaningless after a certain point. Besides, I think the concept of a canon works better if it doesn't become too big.

Initially the song list was 3000 songs long too, by the way.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I think the rationale for not expanding the album list had something to do with the fact that Henrik hasn't had time to add a lot of the more recent all-time lists; an expansion based on the current database would add a lot of albums from recent years (because of EOY/EOD lists) but so many less from prior decades that the list would be unfairly skewed. Henrik has said, I believe, that if and when a more extensive update is possible, the album list may expand accordingly.
StyleItTakes
Are You Experienced?

Post by StyleItTakes »

3000 albums is probably too many as it is. Too often I find important records absent from the list. And average ones making the final cut.

Bill Fay's 2012 masterpiece Life Is People, one of the decade's masterworks, appears only bubbling under the list, and quite a way down, it may not have appeared in a list of 5000 albums anyway. If the list has to be expanded for one of the greatest albums of recent memory to be included, that's just insulting.

Maria McKee's 1996 classic Life Is Sweet is conspicuously absent from the list altogether. It's an album I consider to be among the greatest ever made, not only the year it was made, or the decade it came from.

Just a final note; I love the Acclaimed Music website, and the people who spend hours upon hours putting it together. It is a massive database of albums and songs and a constant source of reference and discovery for me. I understand the nature of the website is to accumulate and tally results from hundreds of lists using algorithms that would probably go right over my head. I am indebted to your hard work and dedication. Any disagreements or arguments should be taken as a show of passion and not an attack at Acclaimed Music or the people who make it.
Why don't you sit right over there
We'll do a movie portrait
I'll turn the camera on
And I won't even be there
A portrait that moves
You look great I think

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”