Somebody better be dying
Sick of the questions I keep asking you
They make you live in the past
But I can count on you to tell me the truth
When you've been drinking and you're wearing a mask"

2. Phoebe Bridgers | Punisher
2871.835 Points | 39 Votes
Critics' List: 2
AMF Top 300 Songs: Kyoto (#1), I Know the End (#2), Garden Song (#44), Graceland Too (#98), Savior Complex (#99), ICU (#178), Chinese Satellite (#248), Moon Song (#297)
Biggest Fan(s): Craig, JohnnyBGoode, schaefer.tk (#1), Chambord, Chris K., Jirin (#2), andyd1010, BleuPanda, LunarPiper (#3), kendon, M24, SL3 (#4), acroamor, cetamol, Edre Peraza, FrankLotion, panam, sonofsamiam (#5), Nassim (#6), Future Critic, prosecutorgodot, SafetyCat, whuntva (#7), Holden, Wezzo (#8), Gillingham (#9), slick (#11), Listyguy, Nick, notbrianeno (#13), Matski (#15), styrofoamboots (#17)
"We now live in a world that gets scarier and more fucked up year on year. But if there is one thing we can be thankful for, it’s that people are much more open and honest than they’ve ever been, and are now being actively encouraged to speak their minds and express the troubling things in their lives as a means of catharsis to improve mental health and well-being. Perhaps this ethos has had a knock on effect to 21st century contemporary folk music, which feels more evolved and involved than ever before. We have Sufjan Stevens revisiting sad childhood memories, Bon Iver comprehending heartache out in a woodland cabin, Mount Eerie coming to terms with the death of his wife, and Mark Kozelek trying to make sense of the death of… Well damn, it seems like everyone in his life is dying tragically… But the point being, indie folk is a genre of music that really involves the listener, allowing the artists to share something deeply personal with them. Bridgers may even be alluding to this herself with the immortal chorus, “I feel like I know you, but we never met” – A sentiment the listener can easily reflect back to the artist.

Enter the midst of a global pandemic and Californian newcomer Phoebe Bridgers drops a sophomore album so raw, genuine, direct and loaded with feelings, that it becomes that massive cuddle that we’ve been craving. Even with Punisher dominating our stereo since release date, there is still this otherworldly quality that we just can’t quite explain when it comes to Phoebe Bridgers. Her voice is so distinct and smooth, yet fragile, with songs that are accessible and with so much depth, it’s genuinely a struggle to fully explain exactly why this record is so affecting, but every track really speaks for itself. From the slow shuffle of ‘Garden Song’ to the apocalyptic trumpet blasts and frenzied screams that close ‘I Know The End’, every song here is well defined and memorable. The explosive guitar driven ‘Kyoto’ and ‘Chinese Satellite’ are the perfect antitheses to the low-key melancholy of the title track, which takes melodic cues from The Goo Goo Dolls’ ‘Iris’, and the brittle ‘Halloween’ that lets Bridgers’ voice gently soar over what sounds like a warped music box melody. But arguably the most cutting song is ‘Moon Song’; a simplistic, lightly strummed three-chord wonder with a chorus that never emerges. Bridgers’ lyrics are half-sung, half-whispered almost like she is recalling a dream wrapped in sadness and longing; “I’m dreaming that you’re singing on my birthday / And I’ve never seen you smiling so big” and “You might be dying / But you’re holding me like water in your hands” are enough to make you well up and could leave a lump in your throat.

Thinking about Punisher on a deeper level, it feels like it could be a spiritual successor to a beloved album we consider a classic, Bright Eyes’ 2005 masterpiece I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning – And it’s no coincidence that Bright Eyes’ mastermind Conor Oberst is credited in the liner notes of both of Bridgers’ albums. The structural similarities are there, with Bright Eyes’ merging elements of alt-country, indie folk and alternative rock into one sphere. The male and female vocal duets, the juxtaposition of bombastic trumpet laden songs like ‘Another Travellin’ Song’ with bare ballads such as ‘Lua’ and ‘Poison Oak’, which sounds like Oberst is playing solo with an acoustic guitar right in your living room. Both albums even use a bird as a lyrical motif that tie together multiple songs. Hell, I’m Wide Awake ends with manic screams, squawking trumpets and thundering guitars too! And though it could be possible that Bridgers has been inspired by those blueprints, she manages to transcend and make an album equally as astonishing but done in her own commanding way.

Of course, you can hear her other influences too; the double tracked vocal takes popularised by Elliott Smith, and Sun Kil Moon’s diary-like lyrical honesty (Bridgers finished her debut album with a remarkable cover of Kozelek’s ‘You Missed My Heart’). But whilst this album is playing, all of those comparisons melt away. Punisher becomes more than an album listening experience and feels like one of those great deep conversations with someone you care deeply about at 3am, and your throat is sore from a drunken night’s combination of singing, shouting, laughing and crying. We’re not going to stand here and tell you that Phoebe Bridgers is the most original or groundbreaking musician out there, but she has made a subtle and nuanced modern masterpiece, one that reveals further depths with each listen to become one of the most pure and moving records of recent times.

-frenchie"

I didn't smile, because a smile always seemed rehearsed...

"And I've been used so many times
I've learned to use myself in kind
I try to drum, I try to write
I can't do either well but
Oh well, that's fine, I guess
'Cause I know how to spend my time"

1. Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters
3341.460 Points | 41 Votes
Critics' List: 1
AMF Top 300 Songs: Shameika (#5), I Want You to Love Me (#10), Heavy Balloon (#20), Cosmonauts (#29), Under the Table (#33), Newspaper (#81), For Her (#125), Relay (#153), Ladies (#240), Fetch the Bolt Cutters (#249), On I Go (#289)
Biggest Fan(s): BleuPanda, Brad, Chris K., Cold Butterfly, FrankLotion, Jackson, Jirin, Listyguy, LunarPiper, M24, Matski, phil, Rocky Raccoon, whunvta (#1), acroamor, andyd1010, Dan, Nick (#2), cetamol, Gillingham, notbrianeno, panam, sonofsamiam (#3), Chambord, Craig, Holden (#4), Father2TheMan (#8), Future Critic, SL3 (#10), bonnielaurel (#12), schaefer.tk, slick (#12), Nassim, nicolas (#13), JohnnyBGoode (#18)
"Given the extensive waits between her releases, I had only ever heard tell of Fiona Apple, her name heard whispered among some of the art pop greats I have idolised my whole life - Björk, Kate Bush et al. The lack of big hits, however, and me hitting my KB phase after the release of The Idler Wheel... had prevented me from ever biting the apple if you pardon the awful metaphor. With the release of Fetch The Bolt Cutters, I had an opportunity to finally give her a go and I dived right in.

...and I hated it. My first few listens to FTBC, perhaps frustrated at all my friends and every media outlet and the whole of twitter hailing it as the second coming of Christ, I couldn't find a single redeeming quality. Why would anyone listen to these abrasive pianos, barely produced beats and voice that most of the time doesn't even pretend to be carrying a tune.

Reader, these exacts things I hated are now the things I love.

More so than any other record I have heard thus far in my life, on FTBC Fiona Apple harnesses the power of sound to transmit every ounce of emotion she has. The songs are rarely pretty (although the chorus on Drumset; the piano work on opener I Want You To Love Me , and the dense layers of harmonies on For Her) but are hyper charged with feeling.

Take for example Shameika, the stand out of the record. The piano line is frantic and anarchic, feeling as though it could cave in on itself at any moment; the drums are twitchy and ever so slightly syncopated; the vocal line goes from straight-forward narration to impassioned screams and back again. It really shouldn't work, yet somehow the combination of all the elements drags you right into the moment, seeing and feeling exactly how Apple saw and felt.

Similar feats are pulled off all over the record to staggering effect - Cosmonauts's descent from a fairly traditional pop song structure into a cacophony of vocalisations only to finish with a single hummed melody; the near absence of melodic instrumentation yet inclusion of dog barks on Newspaper; the primal chanting of closer On I Go.

In this sense it really does feel like an event of an album - a mythic songwriter and performer emerges from her layer to provide us with a record stuffed with more ideas than some artists manage over their entire careers. Its true impact remains to be seen in the months and years to come, but certainly 7 months on from its release Fiona Apple still has me hanging from every dog bark, piano stab and door slam on this incredible achievement of a record.

-maximilian_bd"
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Re: AMF Favorite Albums of 2020 - RESULTS

Post by Holden »

The spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The final Top 100:
1 | Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters
2 | Phoebe Bridgers | Punisher
3 | Run the Jewels | RTJ4
4 | Jessie Ware | What's Your Pleasure?
5 | Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
6 | Perfume Genius | Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
7 | Taylor Swift | folklore
8 | The Strokes | The New Abnormal
9 | Fleet Foxes | Shore
10 | Laura Marling | Song for Our Daughter
11 | Waxahatchee | Saint Cloud
12 | Yves Tumor | Heaven to a Tortured Mind
13 | Bob Dylan | Rough and Rowdy Ways
14 | Adrianne Lenker | songs / instrumentals
15 | Sault | Untitled (Black Is)
16 | Sault | Untitled (Rise)
17 | Charli XCX | How I'm Feeling Now
18 | Sufjan Stevens | The Ascension
19 | Haim | Women in Music Pt. III
20 | Rina Sawayama | Sawayama
21 | Grimes | Miss Anthropocene
22 | Tame Impala | The Slow Rush
23 | Soccer Mommy | Color Theory
24 | Porridge Radio | Every Bad
25 | The Avalanches | We Will Always Love You
26 | 青葉市子 [Ichiko Aoba] | アダンの風 (Adan no kaze) [Windswept Adan]
27 | Fontaines D.C. | A Hero's Death
28 | Taylor Swift | evermore
29 | Róisín Murphy | Róisín Machine
30 | The Microphones | Microphones in 2020
31 | clipping. | Visions of Bodies Being Burned
32 | Moses Sumney | Græ
33 | Idles | Ultra Mono
34 | Caribou | Suddenly
35 | Kelly Lee Owens | Inner Song
36 | The Weeknd | After Hours
37 | Gorillaz | Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez
38 | Lianne La Havas | Lianne La Havas
39 | The Beths | Jump Rope Gazers
40 | Bruce Springsteen | Letter to You
41 | The Flaming Lips | American Head
42 | The 1975 | Notes on a Conditional Form
43 | Dan Deacon | Mystic Familiar
44 | Lido Pimienta | Miss Colombia
45 | Pearl Jam | Gigaton
46 | Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit | Reunions
47 | Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist | Alfredo
48 | Natalia Lafourcade | Un canto por México vol. 1
49 | U.S. Girls | Heavy Light
50 | Dogleg | Melee
51 | Jeff Rosenstock | NO DREAM
52 | Against All Logic | 2017-2019
53 | Protomartyr | Ultimate Success Today
54 | Deftones | Ohms
55 | The Killers | Imploding the Mirage
56 | Bright Eyes | Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was
57 | Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever | Sideways to New Italy
58 | Hum | Inlet
59 | Destroyer | Have We Met
60 | Oranssi Pazuzu | Mestarin kynsi
61 | Mac Miller | Circles
62 | Lady Gaga | Chromatica
63 | Moor Mother | Circuit City
64 | Matt Berninger | Serpentine Prison
65 | The Soft Pink Truth | Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
66 | Angel Olsen | Whole New Mess
67 | Bad Bunny | YHLQMDLG
68 | Gard Nilssen's Supersonic Orchestra | If You Listen Carefully the Music is Yours
69 | Poppy | I Disagree
70 | Clarice Jensen | The Experience of Repetition as Death
71 | Drive-By Truckers | The Unraveling
72 | Annie | Dark Hearts
73 | Katie Gately | Loom
74 | Thundercat | It Is What It Is
75 | BC Camplight | Shortly After Takeoff
76 | Beatrice Dillon | Workaround
77 | Hayley Williams | Petals for Armor
78 | Neil Young | Homegrown
79 | Kashiwa Daisuke | Program Music III
80 | Keleketla! | Keleketla!
81 | Doves | The Universal Want
82 | Shabaka and the Ancestors | We Are Sent Here By History
83 | Slift | Ummon
84 | Agnes Obel | Myopia
85 | Chloe x Halle | Ungodly Hour
86 | Makaya McCraven / Gil Scott-Heron | We're New Again: A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven
87 | Sevdaliza | Shabrang
88 | Sages comme des sauvages | Luxe misère
89 | Neptunian Maximalism | Éons
90 | This Is the Kit | Off Off On
91 | Julianna Barwick | Healing Is a Miracle
92 | Nadine Shah | Kitchen Sink
93 | Bill Fay | Countless Branches
94 | Imperial Triumphant | Alphaville
95 | Moor Mother & Billy Woods | Brass
96 | Gösta Berlings Saga | Konkret musik
97 | Mary Lattimore | Silver Ladders
98 | Bartees Strange | Live Forever
99 | María José Llergo | Sanación
100 | R.A.P. Ferreira | Purple Moonlight Pages
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Only 2 points between 3 and 4 and then hundreds and hundreds between 3, 2, and 1!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

14 first place votes for Fiona Apple! I believe this is a record! (Blackstar had 11, To Pimp a Butterfly had 10)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

That has to be the most #1 votes ever in one of our EOY polls.

EDIT: Holden beat me to it. How many did MBDTF get?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the rollout, Holden!!

Here are our prior EOY albums winners...

2005 | Sufjan Stevens | Illinois
2006 | Belle & Sebastian | The Life Pursuit
2007 | LCD Soundsystem | Sound of Silver
2008 | Fleet Foxes | Fleet Foxes
2009 | Animal Collective | Merriweather Post Pavilion
2010 | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2011 | PJ Harvey | Let England Shake
2012 | Frank Ocean | Channel Orange
2013 | Vampire Weekend | Modern Vampires of the City
2014 | The War on Drugs | Lost in the Dream
2015 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly
2016 | David Bowie | ★
2017 | LCD Soundsystem | American Dream
2018 | Janelle Monáe | Dirty Computer
2019 | Weyes Blood | Titanic Rising

And now...

2020 | Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Welcome to the club, Fiona!!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Artists of the Decade - artists that have more than 1 album in the AMF EOY Top 10 in the 2020s:

Nobody!!
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Thank you for all the hard work Holden. Considering you've been the one collating all the EoY list data too, I hope it hasn't been too stressful.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Thank you for the amazing work Holden!
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm The Artists of the Decade - artists that have more than 1 album in the AMF EOY Top 10 in the 2020s:
Happy to see that my idea blossomed and other forum mates are taking it further.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Chambord wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm The Artists of the Decade - artists that have more than 1 album in the AMF EOY Top 10 in the 2020s:
Happy to see that my idea blossomed and other forum mates are taking it further.
Thanks! I remember when you'd show that information after every EOY poll and I decided to take up the task myself. I hope you don't mind!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I had no idea Clarence Clarity did the music for Sawayama until I read that quote! That makes a lot of sense for XS in particular.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Also thanks for the fantastic polls Holden and Acroamor, the presentation for both were phenomenal!
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 pm
Chambord wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 pm
Thanks! I remember when you'd show that information after every EOY poll and I decided to take up the task myself. I hope you don't mind!
Don't mind at all. I'm glad it's being continued as my scarce spare time for the last couple of years didn't allow me to regularily check in and handle it myself. Thank you for doing it.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Nobody said it but it must be the AOY with most countries of origin by artists. I have no proof but i have no doubt.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Aoba's album must be the highest placing Japanese language album in AMF history.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

On a side note, is this the most albums we've ever had in a top 20 by women? 13 out of 20 including the top 2.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks, Holden and acroamor, for the flawless presentation. Some of my favorites have placed higher than expected.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Excellent presentation, Holden and acroamor! Thank you very much!!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Yes, great presentation!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jackson wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 am Aoba's album must be the highest placing Japanese language album in AMF history.

Don’t Boris and Boredoms switch between languages?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”