Daft Punk break up

Nassim
Full of Fire

Daft Punk break up

Post by Nassim »

Big news of the day !
https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/

A band that just needed 4 albums to get to AM top 100 artists ! (well, they needed only 3 but had a big misstep inbetween).
(personal opinion though, Homework is their only great album)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Daft Punk break up

Post by BleuPanda »

After 8 years, I wasn't really expecting a follow-up to Random Access Memories, but it's still weird having confirmation.

This has really been a rough year regarding my favorite electronic artists.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 pm (personal opinion though, Homework is their only great album)
Worst hommage ever :D
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Homework is better for people who are more into house music and Discovery appeals more to the indie pop side.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Well that’s depressing, I remember it was like 8 years between Human After All And RAM so I figured another album might be just around the corner...
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

What was the last big band break up? R.E.M.? The White Stripes?
There is No More Firmament.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

ordinaryperson wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 am What was the last big band break up? R.E.M.? The White Stripes?
I was just thinking about that, I think it was R.E.M. or at least that’s the most recent one that felt super significant to me

I guess in terms of a band ending this has to be the best way to go out, rather than band infighting or a band member passing away.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

Was thinking maybe Fleetwood Mac recently, but they kept going, in their own way. [cough]

Sonic Youth maybe? Both they and REM broke in 2011, wow almost a decade without a major breakup? Do bands know it's best they should stay together for the money? Are they better at talking things out? Or are there just no bands anymore...

Bummed we'll get no more Daft Punk, but I also assumed things were slowing down after we never got an Alive 2017.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Don't forget LCD Soundsystem and their totally longstanding breakup that also started in 2011!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

ordinaryperson wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 am What was the last big band break up? R.E.M.? The White Stripes?
I know it's only tangentially related to what you said, but I think some of the reason why the Daft Punk breakup seems like such a big deal in music circles is because we don't really have bands like we used to. Of the top 10 albums of the year on AM from 2016-2020, only 14 were by bands. The other 36 were all by solo artists. And some of those bands are really vehicles for one guy (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, LCD Soundsystem).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Out of curiosity, here's Daft Punk very first release, the The New Wave EP. Of the tracks on it, only "Alive" made it on future releases and it's not hard to see why, the two other tracks exclusive to this EP, "The New Wave" and "Assault" are classic minimalistic house music like there was a lot back then and IMO they're not bringing anything particularly new to the scene of then. Their main interest is to showcase the band's roots.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I also think it is worth noting My Chemical Romance. I was never huge on them other than Three Cheers but they were without a doubt a major influence in emo-pop and pop-punk. On top of that, they had one of the largest young fanbases as well. However, they are back together, though because of COVID they haven't been able to really do anything.
Edre the Depeche Head
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Pierre wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm
Nassim wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 pm (personal opinion though, Homework is their only great album)
Ok, I've been a bit mean... I actually like half of Discovery and a few tracks on Robots After All (Random Access Memories might be my 2nd least favorite album in AM500 though... bottom 10 in any case)
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nassim wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm
Pierre wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 pm
Ok, I've been a bit mean... I actually like half of Discovery and a few tracks on Robots After All (Random Access Memories might be my 2nd least favorite album in AM500 though... bottom 10 in any case)
Not trying to derail but now I've got to know your #1.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Possible hot take: RAM is the best Daft Punk album. Discovery is close, but it’s just a bit too front-loaded.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Holden wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 pm
Nassim wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm Ok, I've been a bit mean... I actually like half of Discovery and a few tracks on Robots After All (Random Access Memories might be my 2nd least favorite album in AM500 though... bottom 10 in any case)
Not trying to derail but now I've got to know your #1.
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs !
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm Possible hot take: RAM is the best Daft Punk album. Discovery is close, but it’s just a bit too front-loaded.
I'm just done relistening to all of Daft Punk's albums (as a tribute) - including Human After All and Tron: Legacy - and nah, you're right. RAM is their best album.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

Front loaded indeed! They even knew it, releasing the first four songs as the first four singles, in order -- though part of the reasoning was an event-style release with a continuing music video narrative, that became Interstella 5555. Was exciting times.

I wonder if they front loaded in order to increase the chances of completing the film, which wasn't finished for two years. Just a guess.

Trying to think of other front-loaded albums. I remember Side 1 of The Guess Who's greatest hits having all their best songs and would always fast-forward side 2. The "Apple Jams" section of "All Things Must Pass" also comes to mind, for falling from such heights. Though over the years I've appreciated the rest of Discovery more, especially their versions on Alive 2007.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

Another appreciation: in RAM, putting a nearly ten minute spoken word song as the third track. Usually such a digression is left for the end as an afterthought, but they made it work!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

poorpete wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am Trying to think of other front-loaded albums.
Hot Fuss is the ultimately front-loaded album. Just check out the first 5 tracks:

1. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
2. Mr. Brightside
3. Smile Like You Mean It
4. Somebody Told Me
5. All These Things That I've Done

Hit after hit after hit
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Nick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm Possible hot take: RAM is the best Daft Punk album. Discovery is close, but it’s just a bit too front-loaded.
I wish that wasn’t a hot take, I’ve always felt that RAM was the best!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Nick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 am
poorpete wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am Trying to think of other front-loaded albums.
Hot Fuss is the ultimately front-loaded album. Just check out the first 5 tracks:

2. Mr. Brightside
4. Somebody Told Me

Hit after hit after hit
The I always think of I think the rest is good too:

Joshua Tree-

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

FrankLotion wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:20 am
I wish that wasn’t a hot take, I’ve always felt that RAM was the best!
Same here!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Not sure why it's supposed to be a hot take. It is their best album.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Speaking of front-loaded albums, another one by a famous french electronic duo comes to mind:

Moon Safari

1. La Femme d'Argent
2. Sexy Boy
3. All I Need
4. Kelly Watch the Stars
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Nick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 am

2. Mr. Brightside
4. Somebody Told Me

Hit after hit after hit
It might be front loaded from a hit standpoint but I think side b is just as strong
Edre the Depeche Head
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Well I'll step in here and say it's not their best album so it's a hot take.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

A little bit of trivia: who had their last studio album win the Best Album Grammy?

Answers:
For sure: John Lennon, Ray Charles
For now: Simon & Garfunkel, Lauryn Hill, Daft Punk
Technically, but new album in progress: Adele, Bruno Mars, Billie Eilish

Update: Bruno Mars album announced, down to seven.
Last edited by poorpete on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

When it comes to Daft Punk, the hot-takes over their best studio album depends on who you're talking to. The only hot-take I can think of is; Human After All is by far their best/their only good album.

As for me, I flip between Homework and Discovery as my favourite. Both albums have a small stretch of songs in the middle that I'm not too fond of but are bookended by an amazing series of tracks.

Cheers for all the music Guy-Manuel and Thomas. :music-listening:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”