Complete & Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary Of Soul – Otis Redding
The Gilded Palace of Sin – Flying Burrito Brothers
Harder They Come – Jimmy Cliff
Excitable Boy – Warren Zevon
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Keith Richards 12 Favorite Albums

Post by Harold »

When you post lists like this, can you please indicate the source where you've found them? Good list, with maybe only Zevon being a somewhat unexpected choice for Richards.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Not that surprising that it’s all 60s and earlier but you’d kinda hope your favorite musicians would have kept exploring as they aged. Good albums though.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:50 pm Not that surprising that it’s all 60s and earlier but you’d kinda hope your favorite musicians would have kept exploring as they aged. Good albums though.
Most people Keith's age don't like more modern stuff. Keith has even said things like "All rap is shit." But that doesn't mean that he's not exploring. He explores like I do, looking for great old music that he is not yet familiar with. He's much more likely to like 1930s acoustic blues than he is to like something from the past 20-s0 years.

How often do you explore music from before 1960 that is not acclaimed here on the site?
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Harold wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:12 pm When you post lists like this, can you please indicate the source where you've found them?
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/keith-rich ... bums-list/
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 am
Jirin wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:50 pm Not that surprising that it’s all 60s and earlier but you’d kinda hope your favorite musicians would have kept exploring as they aged. Good albums though.
Most people Keith's age don't like more modern stuff. Keith has even said things like "All rap is shit." But that doesn't mean that he's not exploring. He explores like I do, looking for great old music that he is not yet familiar with. He's much more likely to like 1930s acoustic blues than he is to like something from the past 20-s0 years.

How often do you explore music from before 1960 that is not acclaimed here on the site?
Most people Keith’s age aren’t musicians.

If I don’t find a lot of old music not acclaimed here it’s cause I don’t know where else to get good recommendations.

I know most people decide what their taste is when they are 20 and then just decide they’re done, they have their music. I just don’t get that, especially for people great at music like Richards.

Frankly, if you’re deciding whether you like music based on the date, you’re a very closed minded listener.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10 am
If I don’t find a lot of old music not acclaimed here it’s cause I don’t know where else to get good recommendations.
Here you go, here's a start.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs40s.html

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_h ... ts_40.html (By year starting in 1940)

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... 1930s.html

This site reviews every rock and roll released starting in 1947. Right now they are halfway through 1950. Lots of things to check out if you are really interested.

https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/profe ... cury-8184/
Jirin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:10 am Frankly, if you’re deciding whether you like music based on the date, you’re a very closed minded listener.
Nobody does it based on the date. We do it based on the sound that we love, and the era usually leads us to the sound. Keith and I, and every other person who loves the older sound, we've all heard plenty of modern music, but it just doesn't do it for us. The fact that Keith is a musician doesn't mean that he's gonna like more modern music than a non musician.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

It's not that Keith doesn't like 'modern stuff': https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/d1 ... 5a91f4e8c3
Most of my expolaration of music from before 1960 is not from this site and quite often doesn't even appear on this site.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Richards hasn’t been afraid to shoot his mouth off about other artists, too. According to NME, the guitarist has described Prince as an “overrated midget” and Bob Dylan as a “nasty little b***er.” Even David Bowie wasn’t immune from Richards’ sharp tongue, with the hellraiser allegedly once claiming that the Thin White Duke was all about posing and “nothing to do with music.”
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Hymie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 pm Richards hasn’t been afraid to shoot his mouth off about other artists, too. According to NME, the guitarist has described Prince as an “overrated midget” and Bob Dylan as a “nasty little b***er.” Even David Bowie wasn’t immune from Richards’ sharp tongue, with the hellraiser allegedly once claiming that the Thin White Duke was all about posing and “nothing to do with music.”
Nothing could ever top the things he's said about Mick, though. My all-time favorite was when an interviewer asked Richards if he'd heard Jagger's then-current solo album (titled Goddess in the Doorway), and he replied, "You mean Dogshit in the Doorway?"
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Harold wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 pm
Hymie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 pm Richards hasn’t been afraid to shoot his mouth off about other artists, too. According to NME, the guitarist has described Prince as an “overrated midget” and Bob Dylan as a “nasty little b***er.” Even David Bowie wasn’t immune from Richards’ sharp tongue, with the hellraiser allegedly once claiming that the Thin White Duke was all about posing and “nothing to do with music.”
Nothing could ever top the things he's said about Mick, though. My all-time favorite was when an interviewer asked Richards if he'd heard Jagger's then-current solo album (titled Goddess in the Doorway), and he replied, "You mean Dogshit in the Doorway?"
I hadn't heard that one, but he was probably right.
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Hymie wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:34 pm
Harold wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 pm
I hadn't heard that one, but he was probably right.
Undoubtedly the funniest thing I have read all day 😁 and I rather like Prince !
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I explore music from before 1960 at least a few days each month. I very much appreciate your recommendations of songs from those earlier times. Thanks!!!
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

Hymie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am Keith's playlist of 302 songs

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/keith-rich ... -playlist/
Thank you for this link. Very interesting and I’ve added the playlist to my Spotify 😊
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”