Running Up That Hill

Re: Kurt Cobain's 50 Favorite Albums

Post by Hymie »

Only 3 albums from before 1970.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

He's got this on his list. It's terrible IMO. Like a bad joke.

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Hymie wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:13 am He's got this on his list. It's terrible IMO. Like a bad joke.
Oh, I see. You're looking for recommendations out there. Yes, the Shaggs has endured as a joke or as a one-of-a-kind novelty. Part of Shaggs legend is that the producer essentially asked if everyone should come back after more practice, and the girls' dad (not exactly the Jackson family or Marsalis family patriarch type) waved it off and said, "I want to get them while they're hot!"
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 am Yes, the Shaggs has endured as a joke or as a one-of-a-kind novelty.
Definitely one of a kind. A lot of people have championed Philosophy of the World as a brilliant piece of "outsider art," but it's hard to listen to all the way through (even though it's a short album) because it's just so mind-bogglingly terrible. If you've never heard the Shaggs but have (probably) heard about them, the best/worst tracks are even worse than you can possibly imagine; there are moments where it sounds like the three sisters are all playing different songs at the same time. A band consciously trying to make bad art couldn't do a "better" job.

(By the way, citing Joe Jackson as a model patriarch is a bit dubious, isn't it?)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

The Shaggs original album is on over 1,000 want lists on Discogs, and the site has never had a copy for sale. I imagine it would go for big money if a clean copy was for sale.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Harold wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:37 am
(By the way, citing Joe Jackson as a model patriarch is a bit dubious, isn't it?)
Oh, I suppose, though his iron hand did get much better results (and also got himself written out of Michael's will, even as a "backup guardian," which went to Diana Ross instead).
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Hymie wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 am Only 3 albums from before 1970.
fine by me
Edre the Depeche Head
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Another great artist whose entire tastes come from a 15 year window.

It’s amazing to me how many people who love music pen themselves in to 5% of the music universe.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm Another great artist whose entire tastes come from a 15 year window.

It’s amazing to me how many people who love music pen themselves in to 5% of the music universe.
Yes, very interesting. But then again if you claim to like all kinds of music, do you really LOVE any of it.

Sometimes you can be a jack of all trades, but master of none.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Jirin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm Another great artist whose entire tastes come from a 15 year window.

Not trying to sound rude, but what exactly is the point you're trying to make here (if there is one)?

Ok, I see that Hymie was faster than me. I am inclined to agree with him here. Maybe having a strong personality and knowing exactly what you like and what you want helps you become a global superstar in the first place.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

One of the Shaggs actually has a 2010s album
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

He did basically end his career on a Lead Belly song
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 pm

He did basically end his career on a Lead Belly song
Its almost as if many people on this planet are not obsessive music listeners like all of us. I find the best musical artists tend to have a limited music taste to a certain time or genre
Edre the Depeche Head
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Krurze wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 pm

Not trying to sound rude, but what exactly is the point you're trying to make here (if there is one)?

Ok, I see that Hymie was faster than me. I am inclined to agree with him here. Maybe having a strong personality and knowing exactly what you like and what you want helps you become a global superstar in the first place.
I think it’s a fair question, I honestly don’t understand how a professional chef could eat one good hamburger then decide hamburgers are all they ever need to eat again.

I don’t see it as having a string personality so much as confusing your self with your brand. You decide you’re the kind of guy who likes this sort of stuff and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that you automatically dismiss anything outside the category of things a guy with your brand would like.

Whereas every person I know who has ventured out and tried to expand their taste with an open mind and no preconceptions has successfully expanded their pallet.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 am Whereas every person I know who has ventured out and tried to expand their taste with an open mind and no preconceptions has successfully expanded their pallet.

I've done a lot of venturing out, but not that much expanding. For instance, I've found SOME jazz that I can listen to, but I have never heard any jazz that would be in the 9-10 territory. A few 8s, some 7's, and a lot of 6's and 5's. I listen to the "Biggest Fan Songs" in Rob's threads every day, but it's rare when anything from the past 30 years gets more than a 5 from me. Most things get between 2 and 4 (4 stands for "okay" in my system). I've yet to find anything in the alternative genre that I think is good (a 6) or better.

Believe me, I wish there were lots more records that I thought were great. I've been interested in music for over 50 years now. I know what I like.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Not sure what the use is of lecturing very famous musicians on their music listening. At my age, any number of big acts starting out heard a fraction of what I've now heard, but the important thing was that they were off and running before long, in some cases because they had heard "the new religion" (Elvis and the like in the '50s, or the Sex Pistols and the like in the '70s, for instance, much less than even a 15-year window of crucial listening). Sure, the longer that acts stick around, the more they might pick up some extra influences.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 am Sure, the longer that acts stick around, the more they might pick up some extra influences.
Perhaps if Curt had lived he might have eventually started going back to earlier years and discovering things he liked, we'll never know.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Jirin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 am I think it’s a fair question, I honestly don’t understand how a professional chef could eat one good hamburger then decide hamburgers are all they ever need to eat again.

I don’t see it as having a string personality so much as confusing your self with your brand. You decide you’re the kind of guy who likes this sort of stuff and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that you automatically dismiss anything outside the category of things a guy with your brand would like.

Whereas every person I know who has ventured out and tried to expand their taste with an open mind and no preconceptions has successfully expanded their pallet.
I just think there is no right or wrong. If someone wants to expand his musical taste, sure, go ahead. If someone wants to stick to things she/he already knows she'll/he'll like, good for her/him. I just don't want to judge people based on their approach to listening to music.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Krurze wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:16 am I just think there is no right or wrong. If someone wants to expand his musical taste, sure, go ahead. If someone wants to stick to things she/he already knows she'll/he'll like, good for her/him. I just don't want to judge people based on their approach to listening to music.
I'd much rather have someone who is passionate about their music....even if I think that they listen to shite....than someone for who music is just a casual thing.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”