A Note about the Albums Spreadsheet

Harold
Into the Groove

A Note about the Albums Spreadsheet

Post by Harold »

I've said this before but it bears repeating:

I do the EOY (and EOD currently as well) albums spreadsheet as a favor - to Henrik, to this forum, and to myself (because I always want to be the first one to know what the top albums are!). I genuinely love doing this work, but it does take a lot of time, of which I seem to have less and less lately, so I'm going to focus first and foremost on existing sources that I'm already familiar with. I try to be as complete as possible, but the spreadsheet is never going to capture every "eligible" list.

Once the EOY pace finally slows, around the first or second week of January, someone (Monte?) might want to compile a list of sources that have not yet been added to the spreadsheet, which I can then take the time to evaluate and possibly add on a case-by-case basis.

As I also indicated previously, this may be the last year that I do this. I intend to enjoy it. As always, I deeply appreciate everyone's help in making sure all information is posted here!
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: A Note about the Albums Spreadsheet

Post by Harold »

One additional note: I'll keep an eye on the EOY songs spreadsheet - any source that Ron includes will also be on my spreadsheet if there's a corresponding album list.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Thanks Harold for the great job you're doing !! :music-rockon:
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

First off, I just wanted to echo others' comments by saying thank you both for all the work on the album and songs lists.

Also, does anyone think it would be useful to come up with a standard format when transcribing the lists? If all the lists are transcribed identically, we could just paste the transcribed list into a tab in Excel and use equations to populate the spreadsheets.

Obviously, there would still be issues with spelling issues/etc and it would increase the work a bit on the transcribing side, but it seems like it would cut down the manual work in updating the spreadsheets a lot.

For example, maybe we could use the following format:

01 | Album/Song Title | Album/Song Artist

I could help with the equations, if needed.

Just a thought - curious what others think.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Future Critic wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm Also, does anyone think it would be useful to come up with a standard format when transcribing the lists? If all the lists are transcribed identically, we could just paste the transcribed list into a tab in Excel and use equations to populate the spreadsheets.
Henrik's the statistician, but I don't think there's any kind of standardized format or equation that would work in the way you're envisioning (for one thing, deleting duplicate album listings sounds like it would be a nightmare). Honestly, I do not mind the work of manually entering the numbers into the columns. That's part of the fun for me. What I'm putting off are the is-this-source-that-I've-never-heard-of-eligible questions.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Like others, I'm very grateful for the work you put into this, and am genuinely excited by it every year. At the moment I have a bit more time on my hands, so if there's any boring donkeywork you want to send my way I'm happy to help.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/

Return to “EOY 2019”