Eligibility criteria for EOD lists

Critics’ lists published at the end of the decade.
Henrik
Site Admin

Eligibility criteria for EOD lists

Post by Henrik »

Here are the criteria for how to determine whether a new source is eligible for the EOD albums/songs spreadsheet:

1. The Alexa.com rank should be less than 1,000,000 and the number of sites linking in should be more than 100. Both these criteria should preferably be met, but if one of the numbers is really strong that might be ok too. Printed magazines that are devoted to music are always eligible.

2. It should be clear that the list was compiled by several people (minimum three) from the staff, or represents the whole staff somehow.

3. The source needs to publish at least 10 album reviews per month, and not just recommendations with a couple of sentences per album.

4. A radio or TV channel is eligible if it is a "main station" of a country (typically a public broadcasting service with a focus on music). The staff team requirement needs to be fulfilled but not the number of reviews.

5. No record stores.

6. No genre lists from non-genre sources, unless they together cover all genres.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Eligibility criteria for EOD lists

Post by Donchano »

Based on the criteria given above, Albumism, Artwood Magazine and The Young Folks all are eligible for EOD list :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm not sure about Genius, the site ranked at #348 globally but they are not critic site to begin with :?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I don't want to be that guy, but what about music albums reviews online channels? Any chances? Any minimum required?
alexmu
The Only Way Is Up

Post by alexmu »

panam wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm I don't want to be that guy, but what about music albums reviews online channels? Any chances? Any minimum required?
Most of them would fail the “compiled by several people (minimum three) from the staff” criteria.
Even if Cal Chuchesta counts as a needledrop staff member, he still doesn’t have three.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Happy to never see melon included in these lists. Can't stand him.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

No genre lists from non-genre sources
Hey, what does this mean?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Monte wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 am
For example, a list of the best R&B albums from Rolling Stone.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Henrik wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am
Monte wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 am
For example, a list of the best R&B albums from Rolling Stone.
Ahh ok, thanks.

Like this:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... 2010s.html
Librarian1979
Debut

Post by Librarian1979 »

Hi there! Just discovered this site today - its a life changer (I can stop compiling my own 2010s aggregate song list!). I have a question though - how are points awarded to songs/albums, in order to decide the aggregated EOD list? I can’t seem to find an answer, though I’m guessing its here somewhere.

Thank you so much for this great work.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

Henrik wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:10 pm Here are the criteria for how to determine whether a new source is eligible for the EOD albums/songs spreadsheet:

1. The Alexa.com rank should be less than 1,000,000 and the number of sites linking in should be more than 100. Both these criteria should preferably be met, but if one of the numbers is really strong that might be ok too. Printed magazines that are devoted to music are always eligible.

2. It should be clear that the list was compiled by several people (minimum three) from the staff, or represents the whole staff somehow.

3. The source needs to publish at least 10 album reviews per month, and not just recommendations with a couple of sentences per album.

4. A radio or TV channel is eligible if it is a "main station" of a country (typically a public broadcasting service with a focus on music). The staff team requirement needs to be fulfilled but not the number of reviews.

5. No record stores.

6. No genre lists from non-genre sources, unless they together cover all genres.
What if the list doesn't meet one of the criteria but the others are overwhelming?
Example :

- TIME magazine's list was prepared by only one staff (need at least three as stated above) but they are one of the most prestige/popular publications in the world.

Will you consider to include it?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I’m not planning to include the TIME list, Having said that, there might be other examples where I would include a list that doesn’t meet every criteria.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

Henrik wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 pm I’m not planning to include the TIME list, Having said that, there might be other examples where I would include a list that doesn’t meet every criteria.
Mind sharing it with us the exceptions?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Donchano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:59 am
Henrik wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 pm I’m not planning to include the TIME list, Having said that, there might be other examples where I would include a list that doesn’t meet every criteria.
I haven’t seen any yet! ;)

Edit: A couple of years ago I decided to include eoy lists from the very popular site Gorilla vs. Bear, although they were only two staff members.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:31 am

Edit: A couple of years ago I decided to include eoy lists from the very popular site Gorilla vs. Bear, although they were only two staff members.
What about Diario Critico and Rock en las Americas Critics Poll?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:58 pm

What criteria are they missing and what are the exceptions that should make them eligible?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:31 pm
panam wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:58 pm

What criteria are they missing and what are the exceptions that should make them eligible?
Regarding Diario Critico, the only problem is that we do not know if it is printed. Big problem and I understand that.

With respect to Rock in the Americas, previous lists of that source have been included, in the same format. Apart from that it is interesting to have results from critics and musicians of the Americas (from Chile to the United States alltogether). There is not much of that, in my opinion.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Any major poll among critics/musicians/artists (maybe at least 20 voters?) should probably be eligible too.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:38 pm Any major poll among critics/musicians/artists (maybe at least 20 voters?) should probably be eligible too.
So, Rock en las Américas and Scream & Yell are eligible. Cool!

Return to “EOD 2010s”