Who wants to summarise the albums lists?

Henrik
Site Admin

Who wants to summarise the albums lists?

Post by Henrik »

Many thanks to Harold who has summarised the EOY album lists into a spreadsheet for as long as I can remember! But I think Harold said that 2019 was the last time he did the job. Would someone else be willing to do this - quite extensive, to be honest - work? It’s not necessary that the same person add every list from beginning to end. For example, perhaps someone could sign up for this until Christmas and then someone else could continue?

In any case, quite a few lists have been posted already, so it’s time to get started.

I will post a template later in this topic, but I’m afraid I won’t have time to do the large amount of work myself.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Who wants to summarise the albums lists?

Post by Schüttelbirne »

It's only adding the lists into the spreadsheet, right? I don't mind the kind of stuff where not a lot of thinking is required and I just need to transfer numbers from a page to a document (it's quite relaxing, actually). But if I need to do anything with formulas or statistics, I wouldn't be much help.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:54 am It's only adding the lists into the spreadsheet, right? I don't mind the kind of stuff where not a lot of thinking is required and I just need to transfer numbers from a page to a document (it's quite relaxing, actually). But if I need to do anything with formulas or statistics, I wouldn't be much help.
First off: Thank you, Henrik, for posting this. I have indeed decided to step away from maintaining the EOY albums spreadsheet after doing it for 10 years (!!!), and I was going to post a reminder and request to that effect here as the lists started to multiply.

Whoever takes this on should realize that it does take a good deal of work, and attention to detail. You need to keep track of what albums have already been entered, to avoid duplicate entries (obviously not a problem for The Big Ones in any given year, but it's easy to lose track of the lesser-known titles). The formulas are built into the spreadsheet, so no complicated calculations are required.

One important thing to remember is that (I believe this is the case) in the Rest of the World section Henrik has set aside particular columns for national-only lists, and the formula is different in those columns. He can guide you through this, and through any other issues that may arise.

Huge thanks, in advance, to whoever takes over!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Schüttelbirne!

(And thanks once again Harold, for your tremendous job all these years!)

Here's a template. I have filled in a few lists that I hope explains most questions about how this works. Some comments:

- For unranked lists, the ”mid-place” (number of songs divided by 2, plus 0.5) should be entered into the spreadsheet, i.e. for a list of 50 unranked albums, 25.5 should be entered.
- International lists should be entered into columns GA-GZ.
- There's a formula in row 3. When adding a new list, copy the formula from a previous column.
- Oh, and the file becomes so large after the sorting buttons have been used that the file can not be posted in the forum... But re-open the file, press enter somewhere without changing anything and save again. Then the file becomes much smaller.

That's about it. :D

Well, as Harold also said, it's a lot of work. No worries if you change your mind, Schüttelbirne.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:00 pm
Well, as Harold also said, it's a lot of work. No worries if you change your mind, Schüttelbirne.
I've looked at it and I would really like to do it, but I can't for technical reasons.
I don't use the "real" Excel because an OpenSource program is mostly enough for my limited needs and I'm not really willing to pay any money for something I don't need.
Apparently, my program isn't intelligent enough to deal specifically with the sorting options. I also think that me uploading it leads to the same problems for Excel users.
Maybe I should have thought of that before, but my enthusiasm took my intelligence away for a bit. :angry-banghead:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I hope somebody else will kindly take over.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I don't know, I guess I'm making it difficult for everyone to help out by using excel rather than google spreadsheets. The sorting buttons are not important at all, and if the formulas can be transferred into another program, then perhaps that's the way to move forward with this.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:24 pm I don't know, I guess I'm making it difficult for everyone to help out by using excel rather than google spreadsheets. The sorting buttons are not important at all, and if the formulas can be transferred into another program, then perhaps that's the way to move forward with this.
It is possible to directly convert google sheets files to excel and vice versa through the programs themselves, if that allows someone to take it on. If no one else wants to, I could do it, though I wouldn't start until around December 20th (finals and all that jazz). Is there a list of all of the current album sources, like the song one that Sweepstakes Ron made?
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:27 pm
Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:24 pm I don't know, I guess I'm making it difficult for everyone to help out by using excel rather than google spreadsheets. The sorting buttons are not important at all, and if the formulas can be transferred into another program, then perhaps that's the way to move forward with this.
It is possible to directly convert google sheets files to excel and vice versa through the programs themselves, if that allows someone to take it on. If no one else wants to, I could do it, though I wouldn't start until around December 20th (finals and all that jazz). Is there a list of all of the current album sources, like the song one that Sweepstakes Ron made?
I just copied all the sources from last year's spreadsheet, so one could probably do the same for albums.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I can take the albums lists then, I've decided.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 pm I can take the albums lists then, I've decided.
Thanks Holden! But you will have A LOT to catch up on, if you start on Dec. 20. Maybe you would like someone to start before you take over?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 pm I can take the albums lists then, I've decided.
Thanks Holden! But you will have A LOT to catch up on, if you start on Dec. 20. Maybe you would like someone to start before you take over?
Thinking it over it shouldn't be that difficult, as I'm taking time off of work for finals, and during the pandemic I really haven't been doing much except pursuing the forum. If I fall too far behind I won't be afraid to ask for help.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Thinking it over it shouldn't be that difficult, as I'm taking time off of work for finals, and during the pandemic I really haven't been doing much except pursuing the forum. If I fall too far behind I won't be afraid to ask for help.
Ok, then! Thanks again!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Ok, then! Thanks again!
Two things:
One, what country is the Latin Grammys under?
Two, I see that you have added BBC Culture's list, but I believe that one is ineligible and only one critic?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Ok, then! Thanks again!
Two things:
One, what country is the Latin Grammys under?
Two, I see that you have added BBC Culture's list, but I believe that one is ineligible and only one critic?
Ok, haha. Delete that one then.

About Latin Grammys, perhaps among the "national" lists?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Alright, so for each list there are two cells of data, the top one is the 30+/2* the list length (with the formula) and the other is just a 1. What is the process for the unranked lists again? What goes into these two cells?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:09 pm Alright, so for each list there are two cells of data, the top one is the 30+/2* the list length (with the formula) and the other is just a 1. What is the process for the unranked lists again? What goes into these two cells?
Same formula in row 3.
http://acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewto ... 92#p133392

In that post I actually forgot to say that row 4 should always be the best value. That is, 1 for ranked lists and the number-of-songs/2 + 0.5 (same as what you enter for the albums) for unranked lists. That way 1000 will be the optimal score.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 pm
Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:09 pm Alright, so for each list there are two cells of data, the top one is the 30+/2* the list length (with the formula) and the other is just a 1. What is the process for the unranked lists again? What goes into these two cells?
Same formula in row 3.

In that post I actually forgot to say that row 4 should always be the best value. That is, 1 for ranked lists and the number-of-songs/2 + 0.5 (same as what you enter for the albums) for unranked lists. That way 1000 will be the optimal score.
Awesome, thanks!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Holden wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 pm
Same formula in row 3.

Awesome, thanks!
Louder Than War has a 51-250 (unranked) section. Should I include these albums in the spreadsheet? It explicitly states that each of those was only nominated by one of their writers.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Holden wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Same formula in row 3.

Awesome, thanks!
Louder Than War has a 51-250 (unranked) section. Should I include these albums in the spreadsheet? It explicitly states that each of those was only nominated by one of their writers.
Generally the adding of lists used to be more inclusive than exclusive, but it's a valid question. I'd like to know too.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Same formula in row 3.

Awesome, thanks!
Probably not.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Henrik wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Probably not.
Sounds good, thanks!
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/

Return to “EOY 2020”