04. Bob Dylan - 'Rough and Rowdy Ways'
03. Bad Bunny - 'YHLQMDLG'
02. Fiona Apple - 'Fetch The Bolt Cutters'
01. Taylor Swift - 'folklore'
Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: EOY 2020 - Rolling Stone (US)

Post by Jackson »

Further evidence that Rolling Stone is now no different than the other mainstream critics. It wouldn't be that surprising if Pitchfork has a nearly identical top ten; when was the last time you could say that? There are a few eye rolling inclusions further down the list but they also included Kelly Lee Owens and Four Tet, who probably wouldn't have had a chance at RS five years ago.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Donchano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:36 pm Albums list : https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1096815/
Thanks for all your work transcribing these lists, Donchano.
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

All that poptimism and they did not include Rina in the end :( Some of the choices are so clearly Twitter-bait that they are comical.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

songs

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 0-1097442/

1. Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion, 'WAP'
2. Bob Dylan, 'Key West (Philosopher Pirate)'
3. Christine and the Queens, 'People, I’ve Been Sad'
4. The Weeknd, 'Blinding Lights'
5. Taylor Swift, 'August'
6. Dua Lipa, 'Don’t Start Now'
7. BTS, 'Dynamite'
8. Fiona Apple, 'Ladies'
9. Harry Styles, 'Adore You'
10. The Chicks, 'Gaslighter'
11. Miley Cyrus, 'Midnight Sky'
12. Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyonce, 'Savage Remix'
13. Blackpink, With Selena Gomez, 'Ice Cream'
14. DaBaby feat. Roddy Rich, 'Rockstar'
15. Bad Bunny feat. Jowell & Randy x Ñengo Flow, 'Safaera'
16. Lady Gaga, 'Stupid Love'
17. Phoebe Bridgers, 'Kyoto'
18. Perfume Genius, 'Describe'
19. Selena Gomez, 'Cut You Off'
20. Rina Sawayama, 'STFU!'
21. Mac Miller, 'Good News'
22. Caribou, 'You and I'
23. Oxlade, 'Away'
24. Drake, feat. Lil Durk, 'Laugh Now, Cry Later'
25. Hailey Whitters, 'Janice at the Hotel Bar'
26. Curtis Waters, feat. Harm Franklin, 'Stunnin'
27. Jhené Aiko, 'Pussy Fairy (OTW)'
28. Frances Quinlan, 'Your Reply'
29. Moodymann, 'Taken Away'
30. RMR, 'RASCAL'
31. Halsey, '3am'
32. Róisín Murphy, 'Murphy’s Law'
33. 24KGoldn, 'Mood'
34. Roddy Ricch, 'The Box'
35. Tyler Childers, 'Long Violent History'
36. Westside Gunn feat. Armani Caesar, 'Lil Cease'
37. Morgan Wallen, 'Seven Summers'
38. The 1975, 'If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)'
39. Fennec, 'Boy-U'
40. Pretenders, 'You Can't Hurt a Fool'
41. John Prine, 'I Remember Everything'
42. J. Balvin, 'Azul'
43. Doja Cat feat. Nicki Minaj, 'Say So'
44. Trace Mountains, 'Lost in the Country'
45. Charli XCX, 'Claws'
46. Bill Callahan, 'Pigeons'
47. Jarvis Cocker & Jarv Is, 'House Music All Night Long'
48. Sam Hunt, 'Hard to Forget'
49. Caroline Rose, 'Feel the Way I Want'
50. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams'????
Last edited by JohnnyBGoode on Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

JohnnyBGoode wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:55 pm 50. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams'????
I get why they did that, but c'mon, that's cheating.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

It is really hard to make an awful list. Congratulations RS! You did it, AGAIN!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:40 pm It is really hard to make an awful list. Congratulations RS! You did it, AGAIN!
I dunno. I think it's a pretty great list! All stuff I like or can appreciate acknowledging. But to each their own!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

It's alright. I like that they are chosing a less common choice for Fiona Apple's top song, and many of their picks from top albums are well deserved. I think that the inclusion of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" is abundantly strange, though.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:40 pm I think that the inclusion of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" is abundantly strange, though.
It's because of that viral Tiktok video with the smiling middle-aged guy on the skateboard chuggin' Sunny D and singing along like he doesn't have a care in the world. The song definitely had a resurgence because of that, but it doesn't justify including it on a "Best Songs of 2020" list. That's just an "ain't we cute?" move.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:27 pm
Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:40 pm It is really hard to make an awful list. Congratulations RS! You did it, AGAIN!
I dunno. I think it's a pretty great list! All stuff I like or can appreciate acknowledging. But to each their own!
K-pop, Latin music, Drake, Halsey, WAP (Stupid song), Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez are the reasons why I consider both lists awful. Lack of rock is also another reason I don't like them. 1 or 2 entries for rock (excluding AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac, btw what are they doing in EOY lists? It's time to go!) No Porridge Radio, No Deftones,… .

At least, They put Paul McCartney. Paul is different, He should be on all the EOY lists.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:55 pm
Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:40 pm I think that the inclusion of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" is abundantly strange, though.
It's because of that viral Tiktok video with the smiling middle-aged guy on the skateboard chuggin' Sunny D and singing along like he doesn't have a care in the world. The song definitely had a resurgence because of that, but it doesn't justify including it on a "Best Songs of 2020" list. That's just an "ain't we cute?" move.
Yeah, happy as that video makes me and happy as I am to see a song as great as "Dreams" make a resurgence, it'd be like calling "Never Gonna Give You Up" one of the best songs of 2008, or "Africa" one of the best songs of 2018.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:13 pm
K-pop, Latin music, Drake, Halsey, WAP (Stupid song), Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez are the reasons why I consider both lists awful. Lack of rock is also another reason I don't like them. 1 or 2 entries for rock (excluding AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac, btw what are they doing in EOY lists? It's time to go!) No Porridge Radio, No Deftones,… .

At least, They put Paul McCartney. Paul is different, He should be on all the EOY lists.
Why do you hate Latin music?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Feel like you're limiting yourself quite a bit. There's a lot of good to be found in all the artists and genres you mentioned. Not everything has to be rock, y'know. I get mixed signals by you both decrying modern pop music while also questioning the inclusion of AC/DC. Gotta be careful or (and I say this with nothing but love) you'll start sounding like Hymie.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

panam wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:18 pm

It all started when I heard "Despacito". I think Latin music is overrated nowadays.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

(Also, I wasn't a Miley fan for a while, but I really liked this new album, and based on what I've gathered about your tastes I feel like you would too. So I don't know if you're bashing her inclusion because you didn't like it or if you just have a bias against former Disney/Nick stars)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:21 pm

It all started when I heard "Despacito". I think Latin music is overrated nowadays.
Saying you dislike Latin music because of "Despacito" is like saying you dislike reggae because of "Informer." One song doesn't sum up an entire genre that spans a whole load of countries and territories. That's a song from Puerto Rico, which is different from music in Chile, Cuba, Mexico, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru...
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

As a Latin American that loves Latin Music I think you're opinion is based only in the mainstream media. There are to many good things beyond Despacito.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

The Rolling Stone albums list is honestly better than I expected. I didn't even know that Four Tet released an album this year. I think that RS is getting a little better in the album category with each passing year. I don't think folklore is the album of the year, but it's not a bad choice (and certainly not an uncommon one) and after that there are some really great choices in the Top 50.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Feel like you're limiting yourself quite a bit. There's a lot of good to be found in all the artists and genres you mentioned. Not everything has to be rock, y'know. I get mixed signals by you both decrying modern pop music while also questioning the inclusion of AC/DC. Gotta be careful or (and I say this with nothing but love) you'll start sounding like Hymie.
Actually I am not limiting myself. My playlist is full of Rap and Pop. OutKast, Eminem, Public Enemy, I enjoy listening to them. I even like John Cena's rap songs!! I also enjoy listening to Adele, Lorde and Madonna. Music used to be more passionate and beautiful. I was thinking about the last great rock band and My answer was Arctic Monkeys! I think I should stop comparing new stuff to old stuff. The truth is we will never hear a song as good as Smells Like Teen Spirit ever again. I am glad that you guys like modern music but I just can't like them.

I am not a fan of AC/DC, Steviefan.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:47 pm The truth is we will never hear a song as good as Smells Like Teen Spirit ever again.
lol
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

panam wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:24 pm

As a Latin American that loves Latin Music I think you're opinion is based only in the mainstream media. There are to many good things beyond Despacito.
I like "Rhythm Divide" and "Bailamos" by Enrique Iglesias. I don't know if you like them.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:49 pm
Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:47 pm The truth is we will never hear a song as good as Smells Like Teen Spirit ever again.
lol
Will we?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:51 pm
lol
Will we?
I could easily name a hundred songs I like more than Smells Like Teen Spirit released since it came out; I'm not even sure I consider it the best song on Nevermind anymore.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

In my humble opinion, music peaked with "We Are Number One".
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:54 pm

lol
Will we?
I could easily name a hundred songs I like more than Smells Like Teen Spirit released since it came out; I'm not even sure I consider it the best song on Nevermind anymore.
I'd have to definitely agree with BleuPanda. I think that the only good attitude to have towards music is the idea that the best album of all time could drop tomorrow, and that religating oneself to the idea that music peaked in 1991 is very reductive. Hell, this year we saw an album come out that may be the best album in over 15 years! SLTS is a great song and all, but the idea that it will never be topped is an attitude that only stops the one who has it from finding new music. Also Lithium is 100% the best song on Nevermind.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

lol
Will we?
Could you tell me the name of those songs? I am curious to know.

I sometimes think CAYA is better than SLTS but I change my mind immediately after listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit again.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm In my humble opinion, music peaked with "We Are Number One".
Nah, man. It was all downhill after "Mans Not Hot."
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Will we?

I sometimes think CAYA is better than SLTS but I change my mind immediately after listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit again.
Both are great, but I'd pick "All Apologies" over either of them.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Will we?

I'm not going to derail this thread further; I think our next songs of all time poll is next year, so I'll be posting it then if you really want to know (but my favorite song, All My Friends, is from 2007).

But like Holden said, "Lithium" is at least comparable, and that's the same album. "All Apologies" also competes for my top Nirvana spot - and none of those cracked my most recent top 200.

Which, none of this discussion has anything to do with the Rolling Stone list, but neither does "Dreams" have anything to do with the best songs of 2020.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Will we?
I'd have to definitely agree with BleuPanda. I think that the only good attitude to have towards music is the idea that the best album of all time could drop tomorrow, and that religating oneself to the idea that music peaked in 1991 is very reductive. Hell, this year we saw an album come out that may be the best album in over 15 years! SLTS is a great song and all, but the idea that it will never be topped is an attitude that only stops the one who has it from finding new music. Also Lithium is 100% the best song on Nevermind.
Lithium is a fantastic song.

I'm retro-minded, I'm not gonna crack.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm not going to derail this thread further; I think our next songs of all time poll is next year, so I'll be posting it then if you really want to know (but my favorite song, All My Friends, is from 2007).

But like Holden said, "Lithium" is at least comparable, and that's the same album. "All Apologies" also competes for my top Nirvana spot - and none of those cracked my most recent top 200.

Which, none of this discussion has anything to do with the Rolling Stone list, but neither does "Dreams" have anything to do with the best songs of 2020.
Let's continue talking about Nirvana. It's more interesting.
fabrizioalbertini
Superunknown

Post by fabrizioalbertini »

this take is so bad its just funny.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

fabrizioalbertini wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:18 pm

I know, lol. In fact, I just listened to the 100 most popular Latin songs and guess what? I still don't like it. They basically sound the same as another in my point of view, maybe I am wrong. Don't hate me guys but I just don't like Latin music.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 pm

I know, lol. In fact, I just listened to the 100 most popular Latin songs and guess what? I still don't like it. They basically sound the same as another in my point of view, maybe I am wrong. Don't hate me guys but I just don't like Latin music.
You just hate reggaeton and some Latin pop. Latin music includes much more genres and variety.
fabrizioalbertini
Superunknown

Post by fabrizioalbertini »

Arsalan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Yes. you are wrong.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

JohnnyBGoode wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:55 pm 22. Caribou, 'You and I'
That song should have appeared in more lists !
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Something funny I noticed on these US-American lists:

It's only American and British songs, with a few K-Pop tracks, but only if they feature or were written/produced by American or British artists.
This is the USA telling the rest of the world: "Once again, the 50 best songs of the year were American or British productions. We really are the best in the field of music." :D
And then they go on to say that nationalism is bad...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:43 pm Something funny I noticed on these US-American lists:

It's only American and British songs, with a few K-Pop tracks, but only if they feature or were written/produced by American or British artists.
This is the USA telling the rest of the world: "Once again, the 50 best songs of the year were American or British productions. We really are the best in the field of music." :D
Albums/songs from Latin America are now also on most critics' lists (not to mention artists from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, though I assume those countries were implicitly included in "American or British"). But overall your point is valid. The thing that interests me is that the critics from continental Europe typically have very similar taste to US/UK critics, often just slipping in a couple of entries from their home country in an otherwise English-dominated list. Spotify "top played" lists from many other countries contain lots of English language songs at the top. So it's more than "nationalism" that accounts for this.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:43 pm Something funny I noticed on these US-American lists:

They also include Puerto Rico and Latin diaspora. Latin American artists based at South of the Border rarely are mentioned.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:20 pm

i died when i read ''you'll start sounding like Hymie.'' :happy-partydance:
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Hymie do you want to make a statement before the decision of the supreme court ?
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

Their K-pop selections are terrible because they could have picked two musically superior cuts from those two artists: "UGH!" by BTS and perhaps "How You Like That?" by BLACKPINK

As for the others, I do love the diversity displayed here: "Murphy's Law" by Roisin Murphy is certainly excellent and so are "If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)" by The 1975 and "You and I" by Caribou. And hooray for the inclusion of Four Tet and Moodymann
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Vacantjoy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 am Hymie do you want to make a statement before the decision of the supreme court ?
He’s gotta deliver it, like all his other posts, via homing pigeon.
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

1 or 2 entries for rock (excluding AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac, btw what are they doing in EOY lists? It's time to go!) No Porridge Radio, No Deftones,… .
Porridge Radio's Sweet is definitely top 10 in my book, and a sad omission for sure. I was also expecting Deftones to show up.

But I feel like 2020 overall was not too kind on rock music. We did get some records early in the year, but as the pandemic happened, it became harder for bands to meet and practice, let alone the logistics of having all these people in a studio. And I can see that trend continue at least until a few months after Covid is completely gone. Unlike hip-hop, electronic music or even pop, rock can't really be done on a laptop. Some bands have tried it for years, bouncing files online where everyone records their parts at home, but it never sounds as good as a band locking in, in the studio.

Personally, I'm looking at my own list right now and it is at an all-time low for rock records. :(

Return to “EOY 2020”