33. Shamir: “On My Own”
32. Taylor Swift: “the last great american dynasty”
31. Waxahatchee: “Lilacs”
30. Amaarae: “FANCY”
29. Lil Uzi Vert: “POP”
28. The 1975: “If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)”
27. Dehd: “Loner”
26. Drake: “Laugh Now Cry Later” [ft. Lil Durk]
25. 100 gecs: “hand crushed by a mallet (remix)” [ft. Fall Out Boy, Craig Owens, and Nicole Dollanganger]
24. The Weather Station: “Robber”
23. The Weeknd: “Blinding Lights”
22. Jessie Ware: “What’s Your Pleasure?”
21. India Jordan: “For You”
20. Jazmine Sullivan: “Lost One”
19. Adrianne Lenker: “anything”
18. Jayda G: “Both of Us”
17. Grimes: “Delete Forever”
16. Fiona Apple: “Fetch the Bolt Cutters”
15. Chloe x Halle: “Do It”
14. U.S. Girls: “4 American Dollars”
13. Soccer Mommy: “circle the drain”
12. Moses Sumney: “Cut Me”
11. Lady Gaga / Ariana Grande: “Rain on Me”
10. Waxahatchee: “Fire”
09. Phoebe Bridgers: “Garden Song”
08. Perfume Genius: “Describe”
07. Yves Tumor: “Gospel for a New Century”
06. Bob Dylan: “Murder Most Foul”
05. Bad Bunny: “Safaera” [ft. Jowell & Randy and Ñengo Flow]
04. Megan Thee Stallion: “Savage Remix” [ft. Beyoncé]
03. Fiona Apple: “I Want You to Love Me”
02. Christine and the Queens: “People, I’ve been sad”
01. Cardi B: “WAP” [ft. Megan Thee Stallion]
Last edited by Donchano on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panam
Full of Fire

Re: EOY 2020 - Pitchfork (US)

Post by panam »

RS and Pitchfork have become two twin lists.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

So this is what it’s come down to, huh?

With the crowning of “WAP” as 2020’s single greatest piece of music, Pitchfork has finally completed their transition from pretentious indie rag to absolute, unsalvageable garbage. Maybe I’m just old and out of touch. Maybe the children are wrong. But I have no idea how a song with such a generic beat and such a generic flow and such generic, mindless lyrics like “WAP” is even considered a decent piece of music, much less some groundbreaking work of art.

It’s obvious at this point that Pitchfork has changed, and for the worse. This wouldn’t have happened even three years ago. Back then you could have critiqued Pitchfork for their writing or their attitude or their politics, but their lists? Their lists contained some genuinely forward thinking, boundary pushing music. When they made a list it felt as if they were really trying to reward the best music of the year. Don’t believe me? Their top three songs of 2017 were "Bodak Yellow", "DNA", and "Green Light", three songs that were unique, innovative, and overall well-crafted pieces of pop music. There’s no way, absolutely no way at all, that you can tell me that “WAP” deserves to be ranked among any of those songs.

So yeah, I’m getting older. What might have connected with me three years ago may not connect with me now. But Pitchfork has also changed. And in their attempt to gain a larger audience they’ve shed the bulk of the avant-garde music that might’ve scared off some of their potential audience (could you even imagine something as weird as the 4 minute long psychedelic odyssey that is “Bodak Yellow” cracking the top ten in 2020?) in favor of music that largely panders to the lowest common denominator.

Congratulations, Pitchfork. I hope all that extra ad revenue is worth it.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

That will never, ever get old. :mrgreen:
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Nick wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:56 pm So this is what it’s come down to, huh?

With the crowning of “WAP” as 2020’s single greatest piece of music, Pitchfork has finally completed their transition from pretentious indie rag to absolute, unsalvageable garbage. Maybe I’m just old and out of touch. Maybe the children are wrong. But I have no idea how a song with such a generic beat and such a generic flow and such generic, mindless lyrics like “WAP” is even considered a decent piece of music, much less some groundbreaking work of art.

It’s obvious at this point that Pitchfork has changed, and for the worse. This wouldn’t have happened even three years ago. Back then you could have critiqued Pitchfork for their writing or their attitude or their politics, but their lists? Their lists contained some genuinely forward thinking, boundary pushing music. When they made a list it felt as if they were really trying to reward the best music of the year. Don’t believe me? Their top three songs of 2017 were "Bodak Yellow", "DNA", and "Green Light", three songs that were unique, innovative, and overall well-crafted pieces of pop music. There’s no way, absolutely no way at all, that you can tell me that “WAP” deserves to be ranked among any of those songs.

So yeah, I’m getting older. What might have connected with me three years ago may not connect with me now. But Pitchfork has also changed. And in their attempt to gain a larger audience they’ve shed the bulk of the avant-garde music that might’ve scared off some of their potential audience (could you even imagine something as weird as the 4 minute long psychedelic odyssey that is “Bodak Yellow” cracking the top ten in 2020?) in favor of music that largely panders to the lowest common denominator.

Congratulations, Pitchfork. I hope all that extra ad revenue is worth it.
*shrugs* This list of BNM albums in 2020 hardly screams 'lowest common denominator' to me. Their songs list are always more commercial.

Fiona Apple - 10
Bob Dylan - 9.0
Perfume Genius - 9.0
Adrianne Lenker – 8.8
Phoebe Bridgers - 8.7
Waxahatchee - 8.7
Jay Electronica (Act II: The Patents of Nobility) – 8.7
Haim - 8.6
Moses Sumney - 8.6
Dogleg - 8.6
Gil-Scott Heron/Makaya McCraven - 8.6
The Microphones – 8.5
Yves Tumor - 8.5
U.S. Girls - 8.5
Bad Bunny - 8.5
Drakeo the Ruler - 8.5
Destroyer - 8.5
Special Interest – 8.4
Jyoti – 8.4
Medhane - 8.4
Amaarae – 8.4
Angel Bat Dawid/Tha Brothahood – 8.4
Jay Electronica (A Written Testimony) - 8.4
Porridge Radio - 8.4
Lil Uzi Vert - 8.4
Jeff Parker - 8.4
Fleet Foxes – 8.3
Run the Jewels - 8.3
Jessie Ware - 8.3
Blake Mills - 8.3
The Soft Pink Truth - 8.3
Beatrice Dillon - 8.3
Lomelda – 8.3
Fireboy DML – 8.3
Nubya Garcia – 8.3
Popcaan – 8.3
Dehd – 8.3
Julianna Barwick – 8.3
Grimes - 8.2
KeiyaA - 8.2
Lyra Pramuk - 8.2
Touche Amore – 8.2
Bartees Strange – 8.2
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:11 pm That will never, ever get old. :mrgreen:
It’s my only lasting contribution to the indieheads subreddit and I’m damn proud of it.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

In all seriousness, I think “WAP” is a 5/10 song. It’s funny and provocative and I like how over the top it is, but I never have any desire to listen to it. It’s okay.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Honestly? I'm happier we live in a world where songs like "WAP" and "Old Town Road" are contenders for SOTY than one in which I have to keep pretending Animal Collective and Sleigh Bells are the best things since sliced bread. And it's not as though Pitchfork hasn't been sneaking in contemporary pop songs on their EOY/EOD lists for years. It's just that back in the day there were the ones that were "OK" to like (i.e. "My Love," "Crazy in Love," "Since U Been Gone," etc.) and nowadays the field's more open. The fact of the matter is, I don't necessarily agree with everything Pitchfork and Rolling Stone tout from the world of modern pop, but I'll take this over their respective former elitism regarding indie and classic rock any day of the week.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

The fact that so many books still name Cardi B as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever...

Sorry, I'll stop there. :mrgreen:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I felt like "WAP" was destined to be Song of the Year the moment it dropped. I also like the minimalist design and think the lyrics are hilarious. I don't expect it to be the #1 song of 2020 in even a few years according to critics, but for the immediate reactions of the year itself, I can't think of another song that hit this hard culturally. It will certainly be in my top 50 for the year - so I'm in this annoying position where I think it's both overrated and underrated by specific groups. It exists in a void few artists are successfully hitting - though if we're going to be celebrating raunchy woman rappers, I wish "Duck Duck Goose" by CupcakKe got more attention a few years back...

I'm kinda hating the spread of Fiona Apple so far; no one's agreeing on which songs are the best when I have two, nearly three, songs by her in my personal top 10 (and those three aren't showing up nearly enough).

Also the lack of Jessie Ware's "Spotlight" when they gave it Best New Music really sucks.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 pm Honestly? I'm happier we live in a world where songs like "WAP" and "Old Town Road" are contenders for SOTY than one in which I have to keep pretending Animal Collective and Sleigh Bells are the best things since sliced bread.
Yeah but Animal Collective (and Sleigh Bells' debut album) are great though!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 pm Honestly? I'm happier we live in a world where songs like "WAP" and "Old Town Road" are contenders for SOTY than one in which I have to keep pretending Animal Collective and Sleigh Bells are the best things since sliced bread. And it's not as though Pitchfork hasn't been sneaking in contemporary pop songs on their EOY/EOD lists for years. It's just that back in the day there were the ones that were "OK" to like (i.e. "My Love," "Crazy in Love," "Since U Been Gone," etc.) and nowadays the field's more open. The fact of the matter is, I don't necessarily agree with everything Pitchfork and Rolling Stone tout from the world of modern pop, but I'll take this over their respective former elitism regarding indie and classic rock any day of the week.
My post was semi-tongue in cheek, but there’s a good amount that I really do believe in. For one, I definitely think music criticism is in a worse place today than it was 10 years ago, and that poptimism is largely to blame. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a rockist or an anti-pop snob, and I certainly think the best pop music is just as great as the best music of any other genre. But what poptimism has done is allow any song to reach the top of a list so long as that song has sufficient cultural impact. Sometimes this works out alright (“Old Town Road” is a fantastic song in my opinion), sometimes it doesn’t (“Bodak Yellow” is not a fantastic song in my opinion).

Under poptimism what makes a song “great” isn’t anything about the song itself, but the culture that surrounds a song. If “WAP” hadn’t been a phenomenon I can assure you that it would have never topped this list (or NPRs, or Rolling Stones). This also leads to my final complaint about the current state of music criticism, homogenization. With poptimism as the guiding principle, many critics have turned to the same source (popularity) for their EOY lists. This is how three very different institutions (Pitchfork, NPR, and Rolling Stone) are all able to place “WAP” as their song of the year. The end result of this is that a publication that started out with a specific niche (Pitchfork and indie music) becomes a publication just like any other, a Rolling Stone-lite.

Okay, now I’ll get off my soapbox.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nick wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:56 pm It’s obvious at this point that Pitchfork has changed, and for the worse. This wouldn’t have happened even three years ago. Back then you could have critiqued Pitchfork for their writing or their attitude or their politics, but their lists? Their lists contained some genuinely forward thinking, boundary pushing music. When they made a list it felt as if they were really trying to reward the best music of the year. Don’t believe me? Their top three songs of 2017 were "Bodak Yellow", "DNA", and "Green Light", three songs that were unique, innovative, and overall well-crafted pieces of pop music. There’s no way, absolutely no way at all, that you can tell me that “WAP” deserves to be ranked among any of those songs.
I don't disagree with you on WAP, but I don't understand your take that it is differentiated from Bodak Yellow topping this list in 2017.

There are a lot of songs I haven't heard on the bottom half of this list that seem interesting. As for the top part of the list, this is just the direction that P4K has been going ever since it was acquired by Conde Nast, so it's not really a surprise.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I love "WAP", but honestly I'm surprised at the traction the song has gotten with music publications. It should be WAYYY more polarizing, like Death Grips. In this respect, I actually agree with Nick's last statement that music pubs are just riding the cultural moment moreso than the song itself.

P.S. these lists came out too soon, because they're missing the Burial-Thom Yorke-Four Tet collaboration that just got released, which has "music pub bait" written all over it.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

I mean, does anyone remember This is America sweeping the Best Song of 2018 (or whatever year it was) lists because of its video more than the song itself? And then never being mentioned again afterwards. None of this is new really.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

charliepanayi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 pm I mean, does anyone remember This is America sweeping the Best Song of 2018 (or whatever year it was) lists because of its video more than the song itself? And then never being mentioned again afterwards. None of this is new really.
This Is America was ranked very high in EOD lists as well as EOY lists.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:18 pm
charliepanayi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 pm I mean, does anyone remember This is America sweeping the Best Song of 2018 (or whatever year it was) lists because of its video more than the song itself? And then never being mentioned again afterwards. None of this is new really.
I was clearly paying too much attention to the album lists to notice, though I'd say no. 17 for the decade still feels a touch low considering the amount of discourse on it in 2018.

On a side note, I thought some sites really liked Childish Gambino's album this year, but it's barely been mentioned at all in lists so far has it
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

charliepanayi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:22 pm
I was clearly paying too much attention to the album lists to notice, though I'd say no. 17 for the decade still feels a touch low considering the amount of discourse on it in 2018.

On a side note, I thought some sites really liked Childish Gambino's album this year, but it's barely been mentioned at all in lists so far has it
Actually, it was just mentioned for the first time so far! I don't remember what list it was, but it hadn't been mentioned on any lists until the ones I added today.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I think this is a good example actually - This is America finished #26 in the EOD list spreadsheet after easily sweeping song of the year in EOY 2018 lists, which feels like an underperformance. Also Kendrick Lamar's Humble has fallen off since its initial acclaim. Like WAP, those were both #1 singles whose familiarity may have led them to perform well on EOY lists.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:06 pm I don't disagree with you on WAP, but I don't understand your take that it is differentiated from Bodak Yellow topping this list in 2017.

There are a lot of songs I haven't heard on the bottom half of this list that seem interesting. As for the top part of the list, this is just the direction that P4K has been going ever since it was acquired by Conde Nast, so it's not really a surprise.
Jackson (and everyone else directly responding to Nick's post), please Google the first sentence of the post ("So this is what it's come down to, huh?") and you'll understand what's going on here. Things are not what they seem. (I confess that I didn't get it, either.)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:30 pm
I think this is a good example actually - This is America finished #26 in the EOD list spreadsheet after easily sweeping song of the year in EOY 2018 lists, which feels like an underperformance. Also Kendrick Lamar's Humble has fallen off since its initial acclaim. Like WAP, those were both #1 singles whose familiarity may have led them to perform well on EOY lists.
I think the situation is different :
I would guess Humble is still highly regarded, but when you make a decade list, it suffers against songs from GKMC and TPAB (and has to compete against DNA from the same album).
This is America came out in 2018 and looking at the songs list from that year, I don't see any HUGE critical darling, there are plenty good songs but none that screams "decade great" or at least that do it to a broader enough audience to build any kind of consensus. As much as I think it's a meh song, I'm not sure if you did today some kind of "pazz and jop" poll, it would get beaten as I don't see a song that would gather enough steam.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

The good reception of "WAP" just kind of proves how prude Western societies still are...
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Anyone want to take a guess at what their no. 2 album will be behind Fiona Apple? I'm going for Phoebe Bridgers. As for highest rated album to not make their albums list, Medhane got cancelled recently so maybe that one.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 pm Anyone want to take a guess at what their no. 2 album will be behind Fiona Apple? I'm going for Phoebe Bridgers. As for highest rated album to not make their albums list, Medhane got cancelled recently so maybe that one.
I can easily see an all-female top three (Apple, Swift, Bridgers). Maybe even top five (take your pick: Dua Lipa, Waxahatchee, Charli XCX, Jessie Ware).
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Swift didn't get BNM so though top 10 is a possibility I couldn't see her getting top 3. Ditto Dua Lipa/Charli XCX.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

I don't like Wap that much
But neither did I get into much of the drama of “People, I’ve been sad” which was the second position
so whatever...

I loved the choice of “Fetch the Bolt Cutters” to represent the album. In 2020 I didn't care much for the music releases BUT this composition ... so beautiful
These music critic sites are becoming more and more identical
If it continues like this, TreBBs has everything to take the place of the pitchfork.
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

Judging at their best songs list, it is most likely that Fiona (confirmed #1), Phoebe, Waxahatchee, Taylor, Haim and Bad Bunny will be in the Top 10.
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

I'm only down to #43 ("Murphy's Law" by Roisin Murphy is sublime!) and my favorite discovery is “Both of Us” by Jayda G. What a stunning song.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Harold wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:38 pm
The fact that so many books still name Cardi B as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever...

Sorry, I'll stop there. :mrgreen:
Now THAT'S a copypasta I haven't read in a long, long time. There was a time in my life when just reading the words "the fact that..." would send a chill down my spine.
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

Harold wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:44 pm
Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:06 pm I don't disagree with you on WAP, but I don't understand your take that it is differentiated from Bodak Yellow topping this list in 2017.

Jackson (and everyone else directly responding to Nick's post), please Google the first sentence of the post ("So this is what it's come down to, huh?") and you'll understand what's going on here. Things are not what they seem. (I confess that I didn't get it, either.)
Thank you very much for pointing to that (glorious) copypasta, so we don't make fools of ourselves replying.

Honestly, though, monoculture is all but dying. There are a lot of songs that hit number one this year that felt inconsequential, that I have probably never heard of and neither did my friends. On one hand, the internet gives potential for songs to go viral, but on the other, as people don't listen to the radio or MTV like we used to, it's hard to have songs that are genuine hits, especially if you don't hang out on TikTok or in the right Spotify playlists. We may be getting one or two per year, tops. This year, WAP feels like the one. Even my 57 year old dad, one with no interest in hip-hop whatsoever, had heard about it.

And honestly, as fun as the controversies and the Ben Shapiro memes were, I don't think this song would have had the impact it had if it wasn't an absolute bona fide banger. The song was controversial because it was a hit.

I don't want to enter a whole battle of the sexes here, so I won't go there. But I'll say this. The few times I've been allowed to hang out with friends, all of them were girls. And whenever that song came up on the speakers, we'd forget that we're just three broke girls stuck in an apartment, and had the most joyous time possible. The living room was a club, and everyone stopped what they were doing. It fills us up with pure glee. And for a song to do that in 2020, it has to be pretty good.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

Albums list : https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... bums-2020/

50. Mary Lattimore: Silver Ladders
49. Yaeji: What We Drew
48. Charli XCX: how i’m feeling now
47. Lil Baby: My Turn (Deluxe)
46. Burna Boy: Twice as Tall
45. Lyra Pramuk: Fountain
44. Freddie Gibbs / The Alchemist: Alfredo
43. Megan Thee Stallion: Good News
42. Kate NV: Room for the Moon
41. Rina Sawayama: SAWAYAMA
40. Arca: KiCk i
39. Dehd: Flower of Devotion
38. Duval Timothy: Help
37. Lomelda: Hannah
36. Special Interest: The Passion Of
35. Ka: Descendants of Cain
34. Dogleg: Melee
33. Beatrice Dillon: Workaround
32. Drakeo the Ruler: Thank You for Using GTL
31. The Soft Pink Truth: Shall We Go on Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
30. Bartees Strange: Live Forever
29. Taylor Swift: folklore
28. Chloe x Halle: Ungodly Hour
27. Kelly Lee Owens: Inner Song
26. Soccer Mommy: color theory
25. Nubya Garcia: Source
24. Grimes: Miss Anthropocene
23. Porridge Radio: Every Bad
22. KeiyaA: Forever, Ya Girl
21. Dua Lipa: Future Nostalgia
20. Fleet Foxes: Shore
19. Amaarae: The Angel You Don’t Know
18. Destroyer: Have We Met
17. Róisín Murphy: Róisín Machine
16. Run the Jewels: RTJ4
15. U.S. Girls: Heavy Light
14. Jay Electronica: Act II: The Patents of Nobility (The Turn)
13. The Microphones: Microphones in 2020
12. Lil Uzi Vert: Eternal Atake
11. Adrianne Lenker: songs / instrumentals
10. Bad Bunny: YHLQMDLG
09. Jessie Ware: What’s Your Pleasure?
08. Haim: Women in Music Pt. III
07. Yves Tumor: Heaven to a Tortured Mind
06. Bob Dylan: Rough and Rowdy Ways
05. Perfume Genius: Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
04. Phoebe Bridgers: Punisher
03. Moses Sumney: græ
02. Waxahatchee: Saint Cloud
01. Fiona Apple: Fetch the Bolt Cutters
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

SpankyRevolution wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:11 am
Harold wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:44 pm

Thank you very much for pointing to that (glorious) copypasta, so we don't make fools of ourselves replying.

Honestly, though, monoculture is all but dying. There are a lot of songs that hit number one this year that felt inconsequential, that I have probably never heard of and neither did my friends. On one hand, the internet gives potential for songs to go viral, but on the other, as people don't listen to the radio or MTV like we used to, it's hard to have songs that are genuine hits, especially if you don't hang out on TikTok or in the right Spotify playlists. We may be getting one or two per year, tops. This year, WAP feels like the one. Even my 57 year old dad, one with no interest in hip-hop whatsoever, had heard about it.

And honestly, as fun as the controversies and the Ben Shapiro memes were, I don't think this song would have had the impact it had if it wasn't an absolute bona fide banger. The song was controversial because it was a hit.

I don't want to enter a whole battle of the sexes here, so I won't go there. But I'll say this. The few times I've been allowed to hang out with friends, all of them were girls. And whenever that song came up on the speakers, we'd forget that we're just three broke girls stuck in an apartment, and had the most joyous time possible. The living room was a club, and everyone stopped what they were doing. It fills us up with pure glee. And for a song to do that in 2020, it has to be pretty good.
This is exactly how I feel about WAP. It’s such a fun and creative song (lyrically and production-wise) in general that it deserves these accolades. It was my favorite song of the year myself.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

As for P4K’s albums list; Deserving #1 of course, but I’m glad What’s Your Pleasure? has been showing up high on recent lists.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

BNMs that didn't make the list:

Gil-Scott Heron/Makaya McCraven - 8.6 (probably didn't regard it as a new album)
Jyoti – 8.4
Medhane - 8.4 (got cancelled)
Jay Electronica (A Written Testimony) - 8.4 (already had his other album in the list)
Jeff Parker - 8.4
Blake Mills - 8.3
Popcaan – 8.3
Fireboy DML – 8.3
Julianna Barwick – 8.3
Touche Amore – 8.2
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

SpankyRevolution wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:11 am Honestly, though, monoculture is all but dying. There are a lot of songs that hit number one this year that felt inconsequential, that I have probably never heard of and neither did my friends. On one hand, the internet gives potential for songs to go viral, but on the other, as people don't listen to the radio or MTV like we used to, it's hard to have songs that are genuine hits, especially if you don't hang out on TikTok or in the right Spotify playlists. We may be getting one or two per year, tops. This year, WAP feels like the one. Even my 57 year old dad, one with no interest in hip-hop whatsoever, had heard about it.
Believe it or not, I have been able to not hear about WAP until this week and only because it is starting to show up in these lists. I'm also sure my 64 year old dad doesn't know about it. Culture has become very strange in that regard, because I feel what makes a song a big hit at the moment is mostly memes and things like TikTok (which is a meme generator in a sense). I don't follow this part of culture at all and also never take a look at the Spotify biggest hit lists, so the song could have only come into my life from the outside... And well, 2020 wasn't a great year for the outside world, especially since friends and family I kept seeing this year aren't exactly the types to listen to trap rap (and neither am I). I found that Spotify and the internet in general has made it more easy than before to just pursue my own musical interests regardless of what is popular right now. Last year's Old Town Road only got on my radar through the end-of-year lists and Little Nas X even said he designed that song specifically to be a meme (I think the song is easy to like btw). But nowadays, I can even focus exclusively on new music released this year (and I really do think a lot of great music is still being made) and completely miss the hits. And I'm fine with that, as I was never a pop guy.

As for WAP, I'm afraid a completely beat-driven song is never going to work for me (I just so happened to have written about that yesterday in my review of Illmatic). The ladies have character for sure, which is cool, but it lacks a musical pull to grab me.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Rob wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:52 pm Believe it or not, I have been able to not hear about WAP until this week and only because it is starting to show up in these lists.
Same here. Hadn't just not heard the song, up until today I hadn't even heard about the song. And this comes from somebody who is really quite interested in (new) music, much more than the average Jane.

Probably says more about me than about the song and it's phenomenon, but anyway...
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Even with everything going on in the world and Pitchfork itself it’s weird that SAULT have totally passed Pitchfork by this year
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:42 pm Even with everything going on in the world and Pitchfork itself it’s weird that SAULT have totally passed Pitchfork by this year
I believe you meant to say ... that Pitchfork [puts on sunglasses] ... passed the SAULT.
[Roger Daltrey: YYYEEEAAAHHH!!!]
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

charliepanayi wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:43 pm BNMs that didn't make the list:

Gil-Scott Heron/Makaya McCraven - 8.6 (probably didn't regard it as a new album)
Jyoti – 8.4
Medhane - 8.4 (got cancelled)
Jay Electronica (A Written Testimony) - 8.4 (already had his other album in the list)
Jeff Parker - 8.4
Blake Mills - 8.3
Popcaan – 8.3
Fireboy DML – 8.3
Julianna Barwick – 8.3
Touche Amore – 8.2
I really enjoyed the Jeff Parker album and I would have put that in the Top 50 instead of the one by YAEJI which was just fine.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Pitchfork's reader poll is here (not eligible, just for interest): https://pitchfork.com/features/article/ ... l-results/

Feels like some BTS and Taylor Swift fans who probably aren't regular P4K readers crashed this poll.

Top 100 Songs:
100. Perfume Genius: “Nothing at All”
99. Dehd: “Loner”
98. BLACKPINK: “How You Like That”
97. Soccer Mommy: “yellow is the color of her eyes”
96. Jeff Rosenstock: “Scram!”
95. Lianne La Havas: “Bittersweet”
94. Car Seat Headrest: “Can’t Cool Me Down”
93. Adrianne Lenker: “dragon eyes”
92. Dua Lipa: “Don’t Start Now (Yaeji Remix)”
91. Fleet Foxes: “A Long Way Past the Past”
90. Mac Miller: “Good News”
89. Beyoncé: “BLACK PARADE”
88. Angel Olsen: “Whole New Mess”
87. Protomartyr: “Processed by the Boys”
86. Sufjan Stevens: “My Rajneesh”
85. Thundercat: “Dragonball Durag”
84. BLACKPINK: “Ice Cream” [ft. Selena Gomez]
83. The Chicks: “Gaslighter”
82. Róisín Murphy: “Murphy's Law”
81. Dua Lipa: “Levitating”
80. Phoebe Bridgers: “Halloween”
79. Dogleg: “Kawasaki Backflip”
78. Porridge Radio: “Sweet”
77. Megan Thee Stallion: “Savage”
76. Bob Dylan: “I Contain Multitudes”
75. Moses Sumney: “Me in 20 Years”
74. Taylor Swift: “august”
73. Destroyer: “Cue Synthesizer”
72. Fontaines D.C.: “A Hero’s Death”
71. Sufjan Stevens: “Video Game”
70. Tame Impala: “One More Year”
69. U.S. Girls: “4 American Dollars”
68. Run the Jewels: “yankee and the brave (ep.4)”
67. Jessie Ware: “Save a Kiss”
66. Sufjan Stevens: “The Ascension”
65. Charli XCX: “party 4 u”
64. Phoebe Bridgers: “I See You”
63. Rina Sawayama: “Bad Friend”
62. Bad Bunny: “Safaera” [ft. Jowell & Randy and Ñengo Flow]
61. Gorillaz: “Aries” [ft. Peter Hook and Georgia]
60. Rina Sawayama: “Comme des Garçons (Like the Boys)”
59. 070 Shake: “Guilty Conscience”
58. Lady Gaga: “Stupid Love”
57. Sufjan Stevens: “America”
56. Lady Gaga: “Sour Candy” [ft. BLACKPINK]
55. Moses Sumney: “Cut Me”
54. Chloe x Halle: “Ungodly Hour”
53. The Weeknd: “After Hours”
52. Fiona Apple: “Shameika”
51. Chloe x Halle: “Do It”
50. BTS: “Black Swan”
49. Tame Impala: “Breathe Deeper”
48. BTS: “ON”
47. Ariana Grande: “positions”
46. Haim: “I Know Alone”
45. Haim: “Gasoline”
44. Bob Dylan: “Murder Most Foul”
43. The Strokes: “At the Door”
42. Perfume Genius: “Describe”
41. The 1975: “If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)”
40. Tame Impala: “Lost in Yesterday”
39. Megan Thee Stallion: “Savage Remix” [ft. Beyoncé]
38. Run the Jewels: “ooh la la” [ft. Greg Nice and DJ Premier]
37. Miley Cyrus: “Midnight Sky”
36. Dua Lipa: “Break My Heart”
35. 100 gecs: “ringtone (remix)” [ft. Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kero Kero Bonito]
34. Charli XCX: “claws”
33. Run the Jewels: “walking in the snow”
32. Jessie Ware: “What’s Your Pleasure?”
31. Yves Tumor: “Gospel for a New Century”
30. Yves Tumor: “Kerosene!”
29. Christine and the Queens: “People, I’ve been sad”
28. Charli XCX: “forever”
27. Waxahatchee: “Lilacs”
26. Soccer Mommy: “circle the drain”
25. BTS: “Life Goes On”
24. Taylor Swift: “peace”
23. Fleet Foxes: “Sunblind”
22. Grimes: “Delete Forever”
21. Jessie Ware: “Spotlight”
20. Rina Sawayama: “XS”
19. Adrianne Lenker: “anything”
18. Haim: “The Steps”
17. Waxahatchee: “Fire”
16. Cardi B: “WAP” [ft. Megan Thee Stallion]
15. Taylor Swift: “mirrorball”
14. Taylor Swift: “invisible string”
13. Dua Lipa: “Physical”
12. Lady Gaga / Ariana Grande: “Rain on Me”
11. Phoebe Bridgers: “Garden Song”
10. Perfume Genius: “On the Floor”
9. Taylor Swift: “betty”
8. Fiona Apple: “Cosmonauts”
7. The Weeknd: “Blinding Lights”
6. Taylor Swift: “cardigan”
5. Fiona Apple: “I Want You to Love Me”
4. Phoebe Bridgers: “I Know the End”
3. BTS: “Dynamite”
2. Taylor Swift: “exile” [ft. Bon Iver]
1. Phoebe Bridgers: “Kyoto”
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's mind-blowing to me that "Cosmonauts" seems to be getting nowhere with critics. I thought it and "Heavy Balloon" were the obvious favorites for Fetch the Bolt Cutter with "Shameika" also being up there. Instead, "Heavy Balloons" is only fourth while "Cosmonauts" hasn't appeared at all outside of this readers' poll.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 pm It's mind-blowing to me that "Cosmonauts" seems to be getting nowhere with critics. I thought it and "Heavy Balloon" were the obvious favorites for Fetch the Bolt Cutter with "Shameika" also being up there. Instead, "Heavy Balloons" is only fourth while "Cosmonauts" hasn't appeared at all outside of this readers' poll.
I'd have to agree, I thought Cosmonauts was going to be the Critics' Favorite from FTBC. It's not even my favorite from the album, it just felt like the choice.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I also don't really get I Want You to Love Me doing so well; I like it (I think every track off FTBC excels on their own besides the closing two), but I guess I don't see what makes it stand out besides being the opener. When I first listened to the album, it was Shameika that really drove it into me that this album was going to be something special. At the same time, I feel like it's been an occasional trend for critics to favor the opener if it's good and a favorite is unclear. In the end, I think it's an album where every track could rightfully have a place in the AM list, so I can't complain too much (besides, specifically, the exclusion of Cosmonauts).
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:45 pm I also don't really get I Want You to Love Me doing so well; I like it (I think every track off FTBC excels on their own besides the closing two), but I guess I don't see what makes it stand out besides being the opener. When I first listened to the album, it was Shameika that really drove it into me that this album was going to be something special. At the same time, I feel like it's been an occasional trend for critics to favor the opener if it's good and a favorite is unclear. In the end, I think it's an album where every track could rightfully have a place in the AM list, so I can't complain too much (besides, specifically, the exclusion of Cosmonauts).
I agree with this. IWYTLM is a good opener but it also is the track that sounds most like it could be on The Idler Wheel. The run of tracks right after that begins to elevate the album into special territory. Cosmonauts seemed like a potential favorite, but obviously it's been overlooked in favor of other tracks in an album that is vote-splitting like crazy. Heavy Balloon is my personal favorite. I am glad that lists have focused on Shameika because that -- along with the Grammy nom and the P4K article on the real-life subject of the song -- has made me realize how great it is.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Yet again, "Physical" is the preferred Dua track.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I do feel like noting with the Pitchfork list, they had a long list you had to choose from - I believe those Fiona choices were the only options in the reader poll (which is completely insane, especially when those aren't even the two they included on their own list). Yet at least seven Taylor Swift tracks were given the opportunity...
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

they didn't include Ultra Mono at the top 50 :o
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:22 pm they didn't include Ultra Mono at the top 50 :o
They didn't really rate it (or indeed the last one which was a lot better anyway)
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

charliepanayi wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 pm
Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:22 pm they didn't include Ultra Mono at the top 50 :o
They didn't really rate it (or indeed the last one which was a lot better anyway)
What do you mean by this? (or indeed the last one which was a lot better anyway)
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s

Return to “EOY 2020”