Gravity

Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Gravity

Post by Mattceinicram »

Has anyone else seen this? Went to check it out last night and I was completely blown away. The cinematography and stunning visuals might be some of the best I've ever seen. I highly recommend.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: Gravity

Post by JimmyJazz »

I saw it last weekend. The visuals are truly outstanding, but the plot and dialogue did not impress me nearly as much. I prefer director Alfonso Cuaron's previous work much more.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I would like to see it as well.

Do you guys recommend it in 2D or 3D?
Generally I like 2D much better.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

I haven't seen it myself yet but I've heard a couple of people who usually are not overly keen on 3D either calling it the first time that the use of 3D has actually enhanced a film.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I saw it a week or two ago in 3D. I'm not a huge movie buff, but I don't think any other movie left me in more suspense. In that moment when there was a first-person view of Sandra Bullock was tumbling through space, I felt a bit sick to my stomach.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Great film, I agree the 3D enhances it but it is not necessary for enjoyment of the film.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Probably gonna see it tomorrow, in 3D too. Still not sure about the 3D, but I guess I have to get more used to it anyway.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Saw it yesterday and I was generally pleased with what I saw. Even in 3D! The visuals were really nice and the setting was cool too. But I do agree that the script could and should have been better.

Anyway, it was worthwhile.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Yeah I did see the film in 3D, and thought it was one of the first times where the 3D was actually effective and not just a gimmick to raise ticket prices.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Here in Mexico, when this movie comes to conversation, is often said that although it is a great movie, it will not receive much attention in foreign awards because of the nationality of the director and his team. I hope this does not happen, because it really is an excellent movie.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Blanco wrote:Here in Mexico, when this movie comes to conversation, is often said that although it is a great movie, it will not receive much attention in foreign awards because of the nationality of the director and his team. I hope this does not happen, because it really is an excellent movie.
Blanco, I am not sure how anyone in your country thinks it won't have any chances at awards, at least in here in Hollywood. It has two major Hollywood superstars (George Clooney and Sandra Bollock), and a massive budget behind it. It has been appearing on all of the major critics lists and polls, and has been being nominated in the various awards that run-up to the Oscars. In fact, it is generally agreed that the Best Picture competition at the Oscars will be between Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave and the Cuaron film. And, frankly, this kind of irritates me, because, as per usual, a foreign filmmaker will only be recognized by Hollywood because he made a movie that appeals to, and in many ways flatters, Hollywood, in spite that he has made many better, smaller movies IMO. But, to each their own.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

You're right. I rather meant that the aspects of the film that will be highly rated in these awards are those that usually has a Hollywood movie. One realizes that it's Hollywood rewarding herself. There are exceptions, of course; but the trend is clear. So somehow resembles what you think.

Well, I guess one as a Mexican can not complain too much about the awards made ​​in the United States, because in the end, they are made in the United States. Haha. But somehow it ends up affecting the film culture of this country. I remember a case in which a Mexican director had two years working on a movie, and when the movie finally came out in theaters, it was only for a couple of weeks. And not for the low audience, but because space for "Ice Age" was needed. With things like that, the film industry of any country ends up stuck. A vicious circle is created, and only those that end up surrendering to the largest industry eventually succeed. As Cuarón. Favorably, he carries with him a lot more people who are also talented, so hopefully they will begin to be acclaimed as well, and that will affect the industry in this country. I hope that maybe someday there will be a truly international awards. There are many people just as talented as Cuarón, but no one to give them a chance or recognize what they do. I mean, I have seen Korean films with actors who deserve all the Oscars in the world! :D
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Mostly because American movies have the biggest budgets, and bigger budgets translate to flashier production, which is what gets a majority of people into theaters regardless of nationality.

It's easier to promote a movie with big stars and flashy special effects than a wonderfully written smart drama with no star power.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I agree that that happens, but we all know that a movie with a lot of publicity does not necessarily mean it's a good movie. And I understand that film companies are only interested in selling more. To each his own. What bothers me is that the same thing happens in the film awards. They should be interested in good movies, not only in marketable movies.

What you say about that American movies have more budget, I think only in the U.S., because from here to Chile there are not many people willing to invest in movies. Probably for the same fear that the investment is lost by not being able to compete with U.S. movies. Still, there are good movies in these countries. Probably no fighting aliens with laser swords; but there are good scripts, good performances, good directors, etc. and I guess it happens more or less the same with the other continents.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I'm not so sure that it is just Hollywood who falls into this trend, as there are many producers or talented directors and actors from other regions (although usually in Europe and East Asia, the so-called "developed" world) that jump on the band wagon and try to reap success by joining Hollywood on international productions. I frankly feel that Cuaron, talented a director as he is, sometimes falls into this trend. His fellow Mexican auteur friend Guillermo del Toro does as well. I have also seen some pretty shamelessly commercial and idiotic works from other countries that are pretty bad and dull films as well, so the USA alone is not solely guilty of this, but these still don't have the largest budgets so they aren't heard of as much. I feel that, generally, the most aesthetically interesting films in many countries, including here in the US, almos never get the awards they deserve. For example, Inside Llewyn Davis, directed by the Coen Brothers, and Before Midnight, directed by Richard Linklater, are probably the two best American movies of this year, but both were shunned by the Oscars and Hollywood in spite of their massive critical success.

About that comment about how they should award good movies, Blanco, well, you would think so, but most of the time, it is just not the case. Even worse is when you run into cheesy "prestige pictures" designed for winning awards. These types of movies, usually produced by Harvey Weinstein and his ilk, are boring, drab, and static, filmed theater almost, with no deep personal expression from the filmmakers. They are filled with all-star casts almost always, and make the audience think they have seen something "important". Meanwhile the truly great, more indie American films, as well as foreign films, get ignored to to their lack of name brand recognition.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

rudischubert wrote:Hello, you can save your energy with gravity of earth and make your future safely.
lol wut?
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

JimmyJazz wrote:
rudischubert wrote:Hello, you can save your energy with gravity of earth and make your future safely.
lol wut?
I'm never sure what it is exactly these spammers are trying to achieve.. either way, I deleted his account and all his posts.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”