TSPDT Top 1000 Films: 2014 Edition

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

TSPDT Top 1000 Films: 2014 Edition

Post by JimmyJazz »

TSPDT has updated the Top 1000. Nothing too radical compared to last year's colossal shake up following the Sight & Sound poll, but thanks to the inclusion of a number of Chinese ballots, Asian cinema continues to rise, which is quite nice! Yet, something horrifying also happened in this update: Titanic returns to the Top 1000!?! :o
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: TSPDT Top 1000 Films: 2014 Edition

Post by Henrik »

Ha ha. I was also surprised to find Titanic in the critics' favorites section of Netflix a couple of days ago.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm surprised not a single change to the population of the top 100. Though I'm very pleased A Brighter Summer Day is one spot away from cracking the top 100. And it's very significant that Tokyo Story passed Rules of the Game for #4.

It is pretty surprising just how little the list changed. You have to go all the way down to 638 to find a film that moved more than 100 spaces. Makes me want to see Placido. It seems a very American mainstream-friendly update.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I was hoping that Yi Yi would crack the top 100 but I wasn't expecting A Brighter Summer Day by the same director to be just one spot away. And very pleasantly surprised, considering that that movie still doesn't have a decent home release yet, even on DVD. Eventually I hope to see both films in the top 100. Edward Yang was a genius and I can watch those two films over and over again.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Really high entrance of Titanic indeed. Quite surprising, and not in a very good way.

I hope to see A Brighter Sunny Day sometime soon, it's a pity it's not widely available. Not here at least.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I am looking forward to the 2013 update of the 2000s list. Changes tend to be bigger there and new films have a chance to actually make it to the list right away.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Gillingham wrote:I am looking forward to the 2013 update of the 2000s list. Changes tend to be bigger there and new films have a chance to actually make it to the list right away.
This is true. I want to see how high 12 Years A Slave makes it on. I'm guessing straight into the top 20. And I've been waiting for Borat to drop out of the top 100. It's not that I think it's a bad movie. I appreciate that it's a solid and even revolutionary comedy. But it definitely isn't one of the top 100 films of the 21st century, and I hope this will be the update that sets that right.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

21st Century list was updated today, and surprise of surprises, 12 Years a Slave not only did not crack the top 100 (I thought it would since it broke records for amount of EOY lists and #1 placements), it isn't even the top ranked 2013 film! Inside Llewyn Davis somehow beat it. Not bad for a movie that was completely snubbed by the Oscars.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Inside Llewyn Davis did much better on the Big Prestigious polls, like the Village Voice, Film Comment, and Indiewire, all of which are the end of year film polls to really pay attention to (along with Sight & Sound and Cahiers du Cinema outside of the USA). The snubbing at the Oscars for the Coens latest (in my opinion) masterpiece was absolutely criminal, but totally expected, as was for Before Midnight. I personally thought that 12 Years a Slave, as well, as most of McQueen's work, is very overrated, though I respect it if others disagree. I ultimately wasn't surprised at all by it not making either the 100 or the #1 of 2013. The Oscars have no effect on the TSPDT list, nor should they whatsoever, or else not just the 21st Century but also the all-time 1000 would look horrible.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”