Bill of TSPDT replied to my e-mail

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Bill of TSPDT replied to my e-mail

Post by BleuPanda »

JimmyJazz and I had previously gotten in a heated discussion over the methods TSPDT uses to rank films. He suggested I e-mail Bill if I felt so strongly about these issues. While I avoided actually doing so in regards to that topic, it did inspire me to send a different sort of suggestion. I'm hoping this does end up getting implemented. Decided to post it here since this exchange only happened due to my interactions with people on this site.

My message:
I've been using your site for quite a while now, slowly making my way through the top 1000 films as well as the 21st century list. My only problem is, while trying to get as wide of range as possible of film's history, the quantity is lacking in certain decades, such as the 90s. Even the later years in the 21st century list are getting fewer and fewer entries.

You have previously made a poll asking if people would like to see the 21st century list expanded to the top 500, but many people brought up the issue that the line between films gets increasingly microscopic the further back it gets. I was wondering, instead of updating either of the main lists, if it would be possible to make pages for the individual years that included something like a top 25 or so. That way, people can reference the website for all decades while the big list itself remains as is. If the information doesn't exist I understand the trouble it would be, but I feel giving a wider scope of less acclaimed years would have a great benefit for the referential purposes of the site. Even if it's simply the titles of the films, I would find it very useful.
His response:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email, and sorry for my late reply.

You make some good suggestions. Maybe a top 50 for each year - clearly identifying what is in the 1,000 Greatest Films section, and what is not.

I might sort something out for the next update.

Best Regards,
Bill
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Re: Bill of TSPDT replied to my e-mail

Post by Gillingham »

Well done BluePanda. A list like that would be nice, especially for the more recent years.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Bill is indeed implementing this feature for this years update, so that's exciting! The biggest changes on the meta-list this year are going to come from a Brazilian poll from a few years ago, and the big documentary poll that Sight & Sound did last year. So Asian films and documentaries are most going to benefit Bill told me in an email.

I am actually going to be one of the featured contributors this year, he told me!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

That's awesome news! Also, what's a featured contributor?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

BleuPanda wrote:That's awesome news! Also, what's a featured contributor?
"Featured contributor" is the wrong word. I am going to be one of the contributors he mentions at the end of the Intro for the all-time update, because I submitted a lot of lists to him. I was the one who found the Nolan, Lars von Trier, and William Wyler ballots that he recently added, for example. My name on the website is my real name, Wesley Weaver.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”