2016 Academy Awards

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

2016 Academy Awards

Post by BleuPanda »

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/osc ... d=36271826

Two years in a row now where all the actors are white. Also Carol didn't get a best picture nomination, but at least Mad Max did.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: 2016 Academy Awards

Post by bootsy »

I am happy for Mad Max, The Martian, Sicario, Ex Machina, Creed, Straight Outta Compton, The Hateful 8, The Revenant all getting noms in key categories. Disappointed with no Idris Elba or Beasts Of No Nation getting any recognition and Del Toro in Sicario not getting a BSA nom.
Last edited by bootsy on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I'm also glad that Mad Max: Fury Road got nominated for Best Picture and I hope it wins. But sadly I think that this year its going to be The Revenant v. Spotlight and it seems The Revenant might win. Although I did like The Revenant more than Spotlight I don't want to see the same director win Best Picture two times in a row.
There is No More Firmament.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Saw All Eight.

I think I liked this selection better than last year's. The Top six really stand out.

1) Mad Max: Fury Road
2) The Big Short
3) Spotlight
4) Room
5) The Martian
6) Brooklyn
7) Bridge of Spies
8) The Revenant

Tiebreak for Spotlight-Room was the casting of Spotlight.

It is very rare that my favorite film of the year gets nominated for Best Picture, and rarer still that it wins (2011's The Artist was the last such film for me). While I'm sure it will go to Spotlight based on the Academy's tastes, I just love how Mad Max is up this year.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

bootsy wrote:I am happy for Mad Max, The Martian, Sicario, Ex Machina, Creed, Straight Outta Compton, The Hateful 8, The Revenant all getting noms in key categories. Disappointed with no Idris Elba or Beasts Of No Nation getting any recognition and Del Toro in Sicario not getting a BSA nom.
I haven't seen all the best picture nominees yet, but Ex Machina and Sicario were my favorite two movies of the year and I was hoping they'd sneak into the list. At least they got some recognition. Room is my favorite of the actual nominees that I've seen but MMFR would be an awesome winner. It'll at least sweep most of the technical categories (I bet Star Wars gets shut out because of it).
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Haven't seen a lot of the nominated films, but will see some more of them in the next weeks.
Still, I really liked the Revenant and in my opinion it's better than all the winning movies since No Country for Old Men.

Oh well... it's just the Oscars...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm rooting for Mad Max as well but fully expect The Martian to be the winner. Wouldn't be too upset about that. I'd take overly sentimental over 'Another glib issue film' any day. But I haven't seen most of the nominees yet. The only other one I'm that interested in is The Revenant.

I don't think the Academy voters are racist, but I think the process that gets films funded as racist. If a black director has a great idea he's passionate about but isn't necessarily the kind of movie that makes box office, it's a lot more difficult for him to get his film made. And I think most people who disagree with the nominations have thought for years that more films they've seen should be nominated and will seize onto whatever popular criticism of the nominees is going on at the time.

I've never cared for the Oscars more because most of the films that get nominated are issue films and sentimental films, and films that are more contemplative or cinematography oriented don't have a chance. Also you limit your choices too much if you only look at english language films.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I say given studio politics and the Oscar's tastes, it is a three-horse race between the Revenant, Spotlight, and The Big Short.

Fivethirtyeight says The Revenant, but it doesn't seem likely that Inarritu wins twice. To me at least.

Mad Max has an outside chance and would be my pick, but I say they give it to Spotlight, Inarritu and DiCaprio win for The Revenant (although Director could go to Miller), and Mad Max wins all the technical categories.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

People aren't predicting Martian? To me it fits the bill of an AA winner. Effects ridden sentimental crowd pleaser that makes people feel good about the USA and human race.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Jirin wrote:People aren't predicting Martian? To me it fits the bill of an AA winner. Effects ridden sentimental crowd pleaser that makes people feel good about the USA and human race.
Okay, I'll throw in a few dimes in this hat... and some lint.

While I do think it is one of the better films of last year, it isn't one of Ridley Scott's best films ("The Duellists", "Alien", "Blade Runner" all being slightly better). Nonetheless it achieves a strange balance between "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Apollo 13" that somehow works... a lot. However its direct similarities to "Apollo 13" (a movie seeped in sentimentalism) ruins the movie a little bit for me. The performances of Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain (and a not-so-hot dramatic performance from Kristen Wiig) were equal to that of Tom Hanks and company, which helped hurt it.

Now, like "2001: A Space Odyssey", it is a movie that takes special advantage of its settings and special effects. Maybe "The Martian" will be groundbreaking as time wears on, but we'll see. What is it though? A good movie of the moment. How long that moment lasts, we'll see.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don't think Martian is the best film of the year, but I think it's good in the ways that win Oscars.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Finally saw all 8 of the Best Picture nominees, here's how I'd rank them from best to worst

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Revenant
3. The Big Short
4. Brooklyn
5. The Martian
6. Bridge of Spies
7. Spotlight
8. Room

I also tried to see every film in all categories. Sadly I was unsuccessful.

Completed
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Editing
Best Visual Effects
Best Make-Up & Hairstyling
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Live Action Short Film
There is No More Firmament.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Spotlight won! Many people are calling it a repeat of Chariots of Fire's big upset, but to me it was a bit expected as it seems like the type of film designed to win Oscars. My big surprise was how it won only one other award for Screenplay.

This is not to say Spotlight was unworthy. It was okay. But I thought it would clean house. I consider Rylance for Bridge of Spies to be the bigger upset.

Not a fan of DiCaprio. Never have been. But at least his fans can rest easy now.

Pretty glad Mad Max won 3x the awards of any film on the night. If you watch the film, you can see all the awards were earned.

All the animated nominees were pretty great. Though I was rooting for Anomalisa, at least it lost to another film in my Top 10 this year.

Weak nominees, but ultimately no real complaints with what won.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

The Oscars are to movies what the Grammys are to music.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

luney6 wrote:The Oscars are to movies what the Grammys are to music.
Comparable and in the same league, definitely.

Still, if I had to choose, I'd go for the Oscars. But both very disappointing, almost every year.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Gillingham wrote:
luney6 wrote:The Oscars are to movies what the Grammys are to music.
Comparable and in the same league, definitely.

Still, if I had to choose, I'd go for the Oscars. But both very disappointing, almost every year.
You're right. But anyways, the concept of having an yearly award show is flawed in itself. The most effective judge of the quality of a movie is time, and not a small community of old men.

Besides, Leonardo DiCaprio isn't really a good actor.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

luney6 wrote:Besides, Leonardo DiCaprio isn't really a good actor.
Finally copped one though Image
I feel like that

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”