Films of the '70s: Results

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Films of the '70s: Results

Post by Moonbeam »

Great job, Stephan! I look forward to watching a lot of these films.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot Stephan!
Great winner.

I don't think it's very surprising that our tastes get more similar as we move further back in time, since the classics of those decades are well established and there are some films almost everybody has seen and a lot of films that almost nobody has seen.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Thank you Stephan. Great show!

I expected to see three Coppola films in top 5 (and fourth in top 20) but three in top 3 is a huge achievement.
But what happened to Fancis Ford after Apocalypse Now. I remember that I've read something like he and half of the cast almost lost their mental health during the shooting and editing of AN. At least it seems he lost the capability to direct masterpieces (I like his Dracula version though).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I had a feeling the top three would be all Coppola. I like the 6-20 stretch more than the top five.

I don't have a problem if you prefer films with traditional linear narrative structure, but I just think if you do, you should state that as a personal preference without making claims like 'The film has no story'.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Petri wrote: I expected to see three Coppola films in top 5 (and fourth in top 20) but three in top 3 is a huge achievement.
But what happened to Fancis Ford after Apocalypse Now. I remember that I've read something like he and half of the cast almost lost their mental health during the shooting and editing of AN. At least it seems he lost the capability to direct masterpieces (I like his Dracula version though).
Yes, it's puzzling.
It's definitely worthwhile to watch the documentary 'Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse', about the making of (of course it's not a typical 'making of') Apocalypse Now. Actually, the title implies that it would be the end of Coppola's filmmaking carreer...

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”