Film Finds and Classic Cinema Corner (my new video series)

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Film Finds and Classic Cinema Corner (my new video series)

Post by BleuPanda »

Hey everyone, as I mentioned in another thread, I've been busy this weekend trying to start a new video series (after not having done anything of this sort since late 2010...). I figured I'd share the first episode here, since it might be of interest to some of you. I'd also like feedback if people would have suggestions (I'm always nervous about these kinds of things...).
Last edited by BleuPanda on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Re: Fabulous Films (my new video series)

Post by bonnielaurel »

The only Guy Maddin film I have seen is "The Saddest Music in the World", so I should try to see more.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

bonnielaurel wrote:The only Guy Maddin film I have seen is "The Saddest Music in the World", so I should try to see more.

I've seen four and loved them all; I haven't actually seen The Saddest Music in the World yet. My favorite so far is My Winnipeg. He's one of the more creative directors of the modern era, but I guess his style is niche enough that few are gonna bother.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

What a coincidence, saw this as the staff pick of the day at the allmovie website before stumbling on your review. I haven't seen this movie and allmovie provided no review (although it gave it 4 stars, which is not a must-watch on my part) but I'll make time for it in the future when I'm in the mood for a surrealist film. Great job on your review and great movie pick. No major suggestions apart from improving the lighting when you appear.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Very interesting video will a well articulated opinion and nice editing !
I think you could slow it down a bit though, leave more parts where a movie extract enhances your point. You do it twice but doing it more often would give us more time to digest your point of view, I felt it flowed pretty fast from one point to the next.
And that might be a silly remark and I'm sure it's due to the stress of facing the camera, but you do move your eyebrows a lot !
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Back when I did these in 2010, I never appeared on camera. And I'm already back to that in the second video that I'll be publishing tomorrow...I'm a bit camera shy.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Published the second episode, on It's Such a Beautiful Day.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Film Finds and Classic Cinema Corner (my new video series)

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm working on my third, doing a second series where I take more in-depth looks at films most people are already familiar with. My first is The Lion King, and it's nearly 19 minutes long...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

And now my third video. I'm happy I've been able to keep to my schedule plans so far; and I'll hopefully have some personalised thumbnails
Last edited by BleuPanda on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

And of course a bot immediately blocks it, so now I have to go through the dispute process...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Huzzah, The Lion King video is finally working.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've now done four more videos; I think the most important thing at this point is to simply ensure I can keep to a schedule. I'm doing my main videos every Sunday, plus I plan to do reviews whenever I watch new movies in the theater.

It's funny, because of the situation with Channel Awesome, I'm essentially getting sympathy subscribers. I'm already at 78 after only a few weeks, but my most recent videos (beside one talking about the events) aren't even at 30 views...
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I see you're fond of animated films. Have you seen Skazka Skazok (Tale of Tales) by Yuri Norstein? It's my fifth favorite film of 1979.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I have - I should probably watch it again sometime. I remember liking it. At this point, I've seen around 3/4th of the TSPDT list, and I think I've gotten through all the shorts.

I didn't mean to seem so focused on animation - but now my next video is also on Grave of the Fireflies because I wanted to continue talking about the works of Isao Takahata.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

BleuPanda wrote:I have - I should probably watch it again sometime. I remember liking it. At this point, I've seen around 3/4th of the TSPDT list, and I think I've gotten through all the shorts.

I didn't mean to seem so focused on animation - but now my next video is also on Grave of the Fireflies because I wanted to continue talking about the works of Isao Takahata.
I think it was your "Princess Kaguya" video where I found out Isao Takahata passed away (I had no idea). He made a lot of cool movies with Studio Ghibli. He had a weirder edge than Hayao Miyazaki, and though I don't like any of his films as much as Miyazaki's, I appreciate that he went outside the box.
Besides "Kaguya" and "Grave," I think "Pom Poko" is pretty entertaining (and lets you in on some Japanese culture), and the pineapple scene in "Only Yesterday" is legendary.
Anyways, I'm looking forward to your "Grave" video. I watched it when I was maybe a little too young to admire it artistically or understand its historical context, but there is one image (central to the plot, so I can't spoil it) that involves going to the doctor, that is seared into my brain, which to me represents, as best as a single animated image can, real-life impoverishment.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Here are my two most recent main videos. I'm worried about coming off as spam by posting these, but hopefully people view these more as me trying to do what people like Rob do on the other forum but in video form (and hopefully eventually to a wider audience) - we don't really have many topics here where we highlight singular films, and that's pretty much my goal with this project, so I feel it fills a certain niche.

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

BleuPanda wrote:Here are my two most recent main videos. I'm worried about coming off as spam by posting these, but hopefully people view these more as me trying to do what people like Rob do on the other forum but in video form (and hopefully eventually to a wider audience) - we don't really have many topics here where we highlight singular films, and that's pretty much my goal with this project, so I feel it fills a certain niche.

Classic Cinema Corner: Grave of the Fireflies
A+ review! It is not possible to cover this film's themes any better. :romance-kisscheek:

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”