Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 6th Gen/2001-2005

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 6th Gen/2001-2005

Post by JimmyJazz »

Welcome, fellow AM gamers, as we celebrate the best that gaming has had to offer, from the early days of the Atari and the golden age of arcades, to the massive open worlds and innovative indie games of today.

The way that this poll will be run is as so:
There will be six mini, generational polls, focused on the 1970s-1984, 1985-1990, 1991-1995, 1996-2000, 2001-2005, and 2006-present (more specific details regarding consoles and PC games will be explained in their respective polls), to find the Top 20s of each period in gaming. Every poll will be held for entire week, opening Sunday mornings and closing Saturday by midnight. After the six weeks, there will be a month (roughly five weeks) of voting to rank the final 120 games, to create an all-time list.

You can have a ballot of any size, but it must have at least five games, and no more than 15 will be factored in.

The point formula is as follows:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 30
4. 20
5. 15
6. 10
7. 9
8. 8
9. 7
10. 6
11. 5
12. 4
13. 3
14. 2
15. 1

Also, you can feel free to allot less points for smaller lists, but not more points.

The final 20 will be compiled from the vote.

For this poll, we will be focusing on all Nintendo GameCube (GC), Playstation 2 (PS2), XBOX, Sega DreamCast (DC), Game Boy Advance, and other designated sixth generation console games, as well as computer and arcade games, released between the years 2001-2005, before the launching of the Nintendo Wii and XBOX 360 in 2006.

Here is a page for references to games released in this period: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ye ... ideo_games

Let the voting, and inevitable nostalgia for some, begin!
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 6th Gen/2001-2005

Post by JimmyJazz »

1| Shadow of the Colossus
2| Half-Life 2
3| The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (the HD version is definitely better, however, from little gameplay aspects)
4| Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (a tough toss up between this and Vice City...)
5| Metroid Prime
6| Star Wars: KotOR (I honestly believe that, with this game, BioWare came up with a story, lore, and characters that George Lucas only wished he could create)
7| The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
8| Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Golden is better version, again)
9| Ico
10| Silent Hill 2
11| Super Smash Bros. Melee
12| Okami
13| Beyond Good and Evil (Ubisoft will burn in hell for preventing the sequel from being made)
14| Skies of Arcadia
15| Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

My favorite generation:
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Psychonauts
9. Civilization IV
10. Half-Life 2
11. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
12. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
13. Silent Hill 2
14. Kingdom Hearts 2
15. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jimmy, I need to know if I must vote for Dreamfall: The Longest Journey now, as it was released in 2006 on Xbox and on Windows, and the version I'll be voting for is the Windows one.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Pierre wrote:Jimmy, I need to know if I must vote for Dreamfall: The Longest Journey now, as it was released in 2006 on Xbox and on Windows, and the version I'll be voting for is the Windows one.
Sure, Pierre. Go right ahead. :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Pierre wrote:Jimmy, I need to know if I must vote for Dreamfall: The Longest Journey now, as it was released in 2006 on Xbox and on Windows, and the version I'll be voting for is the Windows one.
Sure, Pierre. Go right ahead. :)
Thanks!

Beginning now, my playing time dramatically fell. Not only my family began traveling extensively, but my interests shifted. I have played relatively few games from this era, and this will be my last top 15.

1. Beyond Good and Evil
I'm overrating this one, but I'm not sure how many people will vote for this gem, and it's the one I have the strongest emotional attachment to.

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Emotional attachment aside, it's my real #1.

3. Half-Life 2
4. WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos
5. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Strange choice, huh? But that's the last MGS game I played.

6. Final Fantasy X
7. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
8. Super Smash Bros. Melee
9. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
As Jimmy put it, hard to choose with Vice City. But San Andreas was more immersive.

11. Super Mario Sunshine
12. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
13. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
14. Unreal Tournament 2003/2004
15. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
This game is flawed, with a clumsy fighting system, but the story is just as fascinating as the one from the first game.

Other good games I played: the two Prince of Persia sequels, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Soul Calibur II, Tekken 4, No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Luigi's Mansion, Max Payne I & II, Golden Sun
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Damn, I completely missed that this was going on. I can't believe nobody voted for Planescape: Torment! Oh well, at least I noticed in time to participate in my favorite decade. I'm pretty much a PC-exclusive gamer, so the games on my list(s) will also be pretty PC-heavy.

1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Bethesda Softworks, 2002)
2. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (BioWare, 2003)
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Rockstar Games, 2003)
4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Rockstar Games, 2005)
5. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Troika Games, 2004)
6. Half-Life 2 (Valve Software, 2004)
7. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (Obsidian Entertainment, 2005)
8. Grand Theft Auto III (Rockstar Games, 2002)
9. Commandos 2: Men of Courage (Pyro Studios, 2001)
10. Mafia (Illusion Softworks, 2002)
11. Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War (Relic, 2004)
12. Max Payne (Remedy, 2001)
13. Medieval: Total War (Creative Assembly, 2002)
14. Diablo II: Lord Of Destruction (Blizzard Entertainment, 2001)
15. The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal (Bethesda Softworks, 2002)
16. The Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (Starbreeze AB, 2004)
17. Baldur's Gate II: Throne Of Bhaal (BioWare, 2001)
18. Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault (2015, 2002)
19. Neverwinter Nights (BioWare, 2002)
20. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Gearbox Software, 2002)
21. Psychonauts (Double Fine Productions, 2005)
22. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Raven Software, 2002)
23. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (Remedy Entertainment, 2003)
24. Warcraft III: Reign Of Chaos (Blizzard Entertainment, 2002)
25. Return To Castle Wolfenstein (Gray Matter, 2001)
26. Rome: Total War (Creative Assembly (2004)
27. Black & White (Lionhead Studios (2001)
28. F.E.A.R. (Monolith Productions, 2005)
29. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Blizzard Entertainment, 2003)
30. Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory (Ubisoft Montreal, 2005)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Stephan wrote: 17. Baldur's Gate II: Throne Of Bhaal (BioWare, 2001)
Welcome in our little sect of gamers, Stephan! It doesn't matter much anyway, since only the first 15 games are taken into account for the vote, but Baldur's Gate II was actually a 2000 release :)
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Shadow Of Amn was, yes, but this is Throne of Bhaal. SoA would have been much higher on the list if it were a 2001 game. :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Stephan wrote:Shadow Of Amn was, yes, but this is Throne of Bhaal. SoA would have been much higher on the list if it were a 2001 game. :)
Ah, I see, I didn't notice it was Throne of Bhaal! There's no rule about it, but I personally chose not to vote for expansion packs when making my lists; in my mind they were "included" in the main entry, like, for instance, my vote for WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos is also for The Frozen Throne, and the one for Half-Life 2 also includes the Episodes I & II. Therefore, I consider that I "voted" for Throne of Bhaal with Shadows of Amn. But as long as Jimmy doesn't state otherwise, I guess there's no problem ;)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This period is somewhat of interest for me, because from about 2002 until 2005 I was a rather fanatical gamer. Before that I played quite a few games, but mostly things aimed at younger gamers or whatever I got for my birthday or something. Some of these games have become classics, like Rayman 2, Pokémon or Age of Empires, but most haven't. But around 2002 I got more into it. Somewhat oddly, after that phase, from about 2006 through 2008 I barely played any games at all and since 2008 I've become more casual, playing about 5 or 6 games a year, which I don't think is considered much.

So the period of this round is the one I know the most of, but I am still wary of voting, because pretty much all my experience has been from Nintendo systems. I have played a few hours on a friends Playstation 2 and similarly probably less than an hour on an Xbox, so there are not going to be any votes for those platforms for me. It's a problem I have faced during this whole poll: without an extensive knowledge of all systems I don't feel qualified to vote, because my choices will be extremely biased to one console, which is not something the final list should represent.

However, I want to give a shout-out to a few favorites of this period that tend to get overlooked: Pikmin 1 & 2, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Time Splitters: Future Perfect and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I don't expect any of them to make it, but I hope they have some fans.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Rob wrote:This period is somewhat of interest for me, because from about 2002 until 2005 I was a rather fanatical gamer. Before that I played quite a few games, but mostly things aimed at younger gamers or whatever I got for my birthday or something. Some of these games have become classics, like Rayman 2, Pokémon or Age of Empires, but most haven't. But around 2002 I got more into it. Somewhat oddly, after that phase, from about 2006 through 2008 I barely played any games at all and since 2008 I've become more casual, playing about 5 or 6 games a year, which I don't think is considered much.

So the period of this round is the one I know the most of, but I am still wary of voting, because pretty much all my experience has been from Nintendo systems. I have played a few hours on a friends Playstation 2 and similarly probably less than an hour on an Xbox, so there are not going to be any votes for those platforms for me. It's a problem I have faced during this whole poll: without an extensive knowledge of all systems I don't feel qualified to vote, because my choices will be extremely biased to one console, which is not something the final list should represent.

However, I want to give a shout-out to a few favorites of this period that tend to get overlooked: Pikmin 1 & 2, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Time Splitters: Future Perfect and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. I don't expect any of them to make it, but I hope they have some fans.
Rob, there's absolutely no problem with that! All of our lists are biased toward a system, and are more or less long according to our knowledge of the period. For instance, Romain voted only once for the Amiga system, and my lists have shown a bias toward Nintendo and PC. I've never even played a Sega game! If the voting system required us to all have at least one game per system for each generation, I guess the turnout would have been even lower :)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I have owned a Dreamcast, a Gamecube, an XBox and (fairly late) a PS2 so I cover lots of bases in there... not that many games I love compared with previous 2 generations though.
I also owned a Game Boy Advanced but I have almost no memories of that...
I regrouped some games of the same series that really feel like variations of the same game, but I put the one I'm voting for first.

1) Jet Set Radio Future
Sega took everything that was so great and fun about the first game but corrected all the drawbacks (controls and camera issues and game length mostly) to make it the coolest and funnest game ever... riding through Tokyo, tagging the streets and making crazy tricks to the sound of the coolest (well, 2nd coolest, original was better) soundtrack make a perfect gaming experience
2) Skies of Arcadia
I actually played Skies of Arcadia Legends, but the differences are minors. That's my 2nd favorite RPG ever, just beside Final Fantasy VII. The "normal" battle systems is nothing special and the story and characters are "only" good but the world (pirates on flying boats !), the ship combats and all the extra things you can unlock (wonders, crew, elite fights, your own island to fill...) gave the game so much depth and fun. Bust most of all it's go some "je ne sais quoi" that makes it specifically endearing.
3) SSX 3
Favorite racing game ever, perfect controls, crazy shortcuts everywhere, characters' coolness turned to 11 and a fantastic soundtrack (that N.E.R.D remix...). The follow up was a bit of a letdown but the recent XBox 360 version was a nice surprise (though multiplayer onlin only ? f*** that !)
4) Time Splitters 2
I also liked Future Perfect a lot but that wasn't much of an improvement. The solo story of Time Splitters 2 is the funniest and the challenges to unlock stuff were time consuming, but that would also rank very high in my favorite multiplayer games, taking everything you liked from Goldeneye and Future Perfect and refining it, with better bots AI, more game modes and one of the only level editors I actually used.
5) Guitar Hero 2 (Guitar Hero series from 1 to 3)
Why 2 ? Well first pull-ons and hammer-offs that were almost impossible to do in the 1st game became a 2nd nature while playing this one. But beside this technical point the game was longer, looked better, had cooler characters. And to top it off that's the one with the best tracklist (until more recent games where you can download more, you can't beat Rock Band 2 on that aspect) : specifically going through Free Bird's solo, Sweet Child o'mine intro (with pull ons and hammer offs only once you got used to it), blazing through Beast and the Harlot (tough one... though Psychobilly Freakout was the worst) or just unleashing the raw power of Search and Destroy. Some of the best moments are on the follow up (My Name is Jonas !) or the 1st game (Ziggy Stardust) but the 2nd had it all.
I beat 1 and 2 (and I think 3 but I have a doubt about Cult of Personality) on the hardest mode, I got to a point where it was all muscle memory so I was actually better if I didn't think I was playing a game... that's something I first noticed playing Bust a Move 2 where I would be better if I was talking with someone as playing than if I really tried to focus... that's a strange feeling but also a great one.
6) Jet Set Radio
As I said, the game had some defaults that actually hit me hard when replaying it recently on xbox 360. But still, it was so fun and endearing that it will always be one of my best video games memory ever. Plus best soundtrack ever.
7) Psychonauts
8) Fable
Tim Schafer > Peter Molyneux, if only because he seems much more sympathetic. But while Schafer always delivers, Molyneux promises too much. Still both those games are great, original, with cool stories and lots of cool gameplay ideas. Psychonauts wins on its wit and truckload of fun gameplay ideas, nothing has been remotely similar since.
Your decisions in Fable 1 did not impact the world around you as much in the great Fable 2 or the meh Fable 3 but it was still a very cool game. Big issue was that you get too overpowered at some point and the end of the game is too easy, it didn't spoil the game like it happened for Final Fantasy IX for instance, but it still is an issue you too often find in otherwise great game (see Grandia 2 below where I could kill pretty much everyone with Tio before anybody else could act... made the final fights a tad boring).
9) Marvel vs Capcom 2
10) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
I never enjoyed the Resident Evil games much so that's survival horror for me... the madness gauge (that you also find on Call of Ctuluh's paper role playing game) is a fantastic idea, breaking the 4th wall with talent : sometimes your character would go crazy and see horrible stuff, but sometimes the game would try to make you feel crazy : turning the volume up and down, disconnecting your controler or showing a blue screen...
The controls were a bit hectic but everything else was great : the story, the characters (it's actually great for a change never to know if the character you play in a chapter will survive or not) and the very accurate for the time depiction of real places : I invite you to visit Notre-Dame of Amiens after playing the game, that's quite striking (plus that's the best cathedral in France, and I'm not saying that because that's where I'm from)
11) Super Smash Bros Melee
Still my favorite iteration of the game, Falco FTW !!!
12) Dynasty Warriors 3/4/5
Dumb ? Yes ! Repetitive ? Yes ! Hours of fun ! Hell yeah !
13) Sega Soccer Slam
My favorite non Jet Set Radio Sega game is not a game for a Sega console, but to be fair Dreamcast is the only one I had. Anyway, 3 on 3 soccer with silly characters punching each other is much more fun that it should be allowed to.
14) Persona 3
I didn't play 4 and didn't have the courage to go that far in the 3, but still, the gameplay, story telling and art design is astonishing and not like much else I have seen.
15) Heroes of Might and Magic IV
That moment when electricity turns off after 4 hours of local arena game on a Heroes of Might and Magic game...
16) Donkey Konga 1 & 2
17) Grandia 2
18) Time Splitters 3 : Future Perfect
19) Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
20) Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance
21) Warcraft III
22) Baten Kaitos
23) Def Jam Vendetta
24) Fire Emblem : The Sacred Stones
25) Rayman 3
26) Civilization III/IV
27) Max Payne
28) Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
29) Tales of Symphonia
30) Kung Fu Chaos

I unfortunately haven't played (or at least not much) : Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, Zelda Wind Waker, Half Life 2, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
And I very strongly dislike Super Mario Sunshine, hands down the Super Mario game I like the least.

soundtrack :
I said it before and I'll say it again, Jet Set Radio has the perfect soundtrack, both fitting the game spirit, tempo and design perfectly and able to stand on its own.
Never been much of a dancer, but put Sneakman or Let Mom Sleep and I'll just go crazy moving around like a madman.
One of the best memory still is grinding toward the sunset to the sound of 'Bout the City... some feel good moment (even with the clock ticking as I wonder where the heck the last tagging spot is)
But really, Rock it On, Sweet Sould Brothers, Super Brothers, Magic Girl... so many awesome tracks.

I like the soundtrack of Jet Set Radio Future a bit less, most of the remixes making the songs more futuristic (which went fine with the more futuristic design of the game) but also less enjoyable.
Except maybe "The Concept of Love" :
[youtube]http://youtu.be/FXY7G14Qigk[/youtube]

Most of my other VG music memories of this era are not original music, whether I was hitting bongos to the sound of the William Tell overture, riding down a peak to The Chemical Brothers' Leave Home or learning to play Bulls on Parade on my plastic guitar without looking at the screen.
But unfortunately, this terrible character selection screen from Marvel vs Capcom 2 is also stuck in my brain...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Pierre wrote:
Stephan wrote:Shadow Of Amn was, yes, but this is Throne of Bhaal. SoA would have been much higher on the list if it were a 2001 game. :)
Ah, I see, I didn't notice it was Throne of Bhaal! There's no rule about it, but I personally chose not to vote for expansion packs when making my lists; in my mind they were "included" in the main entry, like, for instance, my vote for WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos is also for The Frozen Throne, and the one for Half-Life 2 also includes the Episodes I & II. Therefore, I consider that I "voted" for Throne of Bhaal with Shadows of Amn. But as long as Jimmy doesn't state otherwise, I guess there's no problem ;)
Actually, I need to clarify this. Stephan, I will probably take out the last two on your Top 15 and move the next two up, if that is okay with you. As Pierre mentioned, any expansion pacts I combine with the base game when it comes to PC games. Same with DLC in the next gen. Sorry about that.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Rob wrote:This period is somewhat of interest for me, because from about 2002 until 2005 I was a rather fanatical gamer. Before that I played quite a few games, but mostly things aimed at younger gamers or whatever I got for my birthday or something. Some of these games have become classics, like Rayman 2, Pokémon or Age of Empires, but most haven't. But around 2002 I got more into it. Somewhat oddly, after that phase, from about 2006 through 2008 I barely played any games at all and since 2008 I've become more casual, playing about 5 or 6 games a year, which I don't think is considered much.

Go ahead and vote, Rob! As Pierre mentioned, everyone here has there preferences and biases. This is typical of any good video game poll, and helps to make a more diverse Final 20!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

As I said in an earlier thread, I'm a pretty casual gamer, and the bulk of all games I've played have come from this time period. So here's ten games that helped define my preteen/teenage years.

1. Metroid Prime (2002)

Probably my favorite video game of all time.

2. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (2002/2004)

I'm a pretty big fan of the Pokemon games in general, but this generation is my favorite of the ones I've played. I skipped out on a lot of the DS ones until Nintendo released Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire last year, which I've been playing constantly since.

3. Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001)

Probably the greatest party game of all time. My friends hate me when I play it because all I do is spam Link's up + B attack, but hey, it wins games.

4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)

Not as good as the original, but still a great, great game.

5. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2002)

One of several PC games (another one being Age of Empires 2, which I couldn't include on this list due to it being released last generation) that defined my preteen/teenage years.

6. Halo 2 (2004)

I've never actually owned an Xbox, and I've barely played the campaign, but I've played this game so many times at various friends houses that I feel like not including it would be a huge mistake.

7. F-Zero GX (2003)
8. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003)
9. Age of Mythology (2002)
10. James Bond 007: Nightfire (2002)
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Actually, I need to clarify this. Stephan, I will probably take out the last two on your Top 15 and move the next two up, if that is okay with you. As Pierre mentioned, any expansion pacts I combine with the base game when it comes to PC games. Same with DLC in the next gen. Sorry about that.
I definitely agree that DLC should be excluded, but given its size I would say something like Episode 1 is incomparable to a horse armor DLC and deserving of its own entry. That being said, I will send in further lists without expansion packs. :)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Alright, here is an attempt at a list. As said, I simply have a limited knowledge of video games as a whole. I've got nothing against games from other systems than the GameCube, I just didn't play them (enough).

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Smash Bros games are the only ones I'm rather fanatical about, mostly because I share a love of the game with my closest friends. We played it more as a party game than in a "professional" style, but it never grows stale. A bit boring perhaps, but I probably can't help voting any new iteration at the top of my list for each new generation. Nothing comes close in topping the hours I've put in this series, mostly in multiplayer. My favorite of Melee was Young Link by the way.

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Perhaps my favorite single-player game ever. And yes, with that I fall under the cliche that your first Zelda is your favorite. Zelda games are about discoveries for me and actually sailing to various islands captures that feeling more than any other game in the series. It makes me think about old explorers like Columbus. It's a flawed game, because of the rushed and somewhat unfulfilling ending, but most of it captures a simple magic that has probably been the main reason I never since skipped a Nintendo console in favor of the competition, deserved or not.

3. Metroid Prime
Extremely atmospheric and very innovating. The feeling of exploring a hostile environment far away from any form of civilization couldn't have been captured better. The sequels are great too, but this one was so perfect it couldn't have been topped by any of them. This even survived the butchering of Samus' character in Other M. Besides, Ridley is one of the great villains of game history, if only for his design.

4. Ōkami
Alright, this apparently counts, though it's a game from 2006. And I actually played the Wii port of 2008, but since it's the same game, with just different controls, I best place it here. This is the best Zelda that isn't a Zelda and it's design keeps inspiring awe for it's long running time.

5. Time Splitters 3: Future Perfect
Time Splitters 2 is more of a classic and better remembered, because part 3 was mostly more of the same. I vote for part 3 for a somewhat lame reason: I never actually played part 2. I'm not too fond of shooters, but this wacky game is the closest any multiplayer game came to rivaling that of Smash Bros (meaning: still not very close). The fun modes, the crazy cast of characters (including everyone's favorite head-shot Hans and the evil Deerhaunter) and the brilliant map maker kept this fresh for a long time. The singleplayer is good to, but based on that this wouldn't have come near my top 10. The gold is in the multiplayer.

6. Pikmin 2
This is how you do sequels. All though the tense time limit of part 1 is gone, it adds so many new things it isn't a problem. In hindsight, the first Pikmin seemed almost like a demo (a great one though). This one expands on the ideas and gameplay of its predecessor in such ways that even about 10 years later Pikmin 3 hardly seemed to know how to make a next step. The multiplayer is fun too.

7. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Through the years I've worked my way backwards through the various Mario Games that came out before the GameCube. I've loved almost everything or at least enjoyed them. Still, my very clear favorite is perhaps oddly enough the second Paper Mario. Or maybe it isn't odd, because the rather few people I know who actually played it all seem to hold it close to their heart. Perhaps is the Earthbound of it's generation (I'll start my first run of Earthbound soon). It's funny, expansive, constantly surprising and just plain fun. Having the fights take place on a theater stage is also a nice touch. Place 7 feels way to low, but that goes to show that the game generation of 2001 to 2005 was "my generation" for gaming.

8. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Another game that feels somewhat overlooked nowadays, but this is one of the most challenging 2D-platformers in a generation that had very few of them. Also, you play it on bongo's. Sounds stupid, but is a wonderful experience, though my hands still remember the blisters very well.

9. Mario Kart: Double Dash
Perhaps a very nostalgic pick, because this isn't a game I feel like revisiting anymore, which can't be said by any above or below it. Mario Kart 8 set a new standard for me and I find it hard to get back to this one, which now feels imprecise. But I still remember the fun of the races with to drivers. I like my multiplayer most if they have a high fun factor and a lot of madness and this delivered.

10. Pikmin
The first Pikmin may be overshadowed by its sequel, but actually revisiting it shows it is still a tense game. Nintendo doesn't really make nail-biters much anymore, but this, with it's tight time schedule still had it.

11. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess
Does this one count? It's 2006, but came out on GameCube, though at the same time on the newly released Wii. I played the GameCube version. If it doesn't count move everything below up one place.
I played this after having worked through most of the Zelda back catalogue and was a little disappointed at the time, because it didn't feel as a step forward, but as more of the same. I thought it was good, mind you, but I also felt like it was more just another Zelda. However, through the years I've noticed this is a Zelda many fans in particular seem to remember. A few years later I played it again and perhaps the lowered expectation helped me appreciate it more. Sure, it treads familiar waters, but what waters they are. Not my favorite Zelda, but perhaps the most perfect one, despite being a bit easy.

12. Super Mario Sunshine
A very divisive game, see also Nassims comment. I get that, but at the same time I wished Nintendo would have at least tried one other game following the path set by this Mario. It has a more free feeling than any before or since. Playing it again two years ago I also noticed how well it held up, despite its reputation. Perhaps because it feels somewhat as a stand-alone game in the large series it also still feels unique.

13. Luigi's Mansion
Short but sweet. Being my first GameCube game makes me a bit nostalgic for it, but it holds up as an inspired adventure game. And surely, Luigi is a cooler hero than his brother.

14. Beyond Good & Evil
A bit of a cult game. I've always been on two minds about it. Partly it's a masterpiece, because of world building, characters, story and atmosphere. Based on those elements alone it should be top 5 at the very least. But judging on gameplay it is nothing remarkable. The fighting is repetitive, the puzzles forgettable and it is also way to short (not helped by the sequel that probably will never get made). Half of me is in love with this game and while the other half has made sure I've never played this a second time. Could have taken any place on my list outside of the top 3 really.

15. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
It's not the first Metroid Prime. The lack of surprise that one gave keeps this down, although it is mostly its equal.

16. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
I guess faithful remakes of older games still count? Anyway, this is a great update of a classic I never played. The only thing keeping it down somewhat is that despite playing through it 3 times and absolutely loving it I have curiously little memories of it.

There are enough games I liked a lot beyond these 15, but I wouldn't call any of them essential so I don't feel they deserve a vote. Nonetheless, here are some honorable mentions: Soul Calibur 2, Mario Party 4 & 5, Super Monkey Ball (would have somewhat liked to vote for it, but it simply hasn't aged all that well), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Rayman 3 and Geist. One GameCube classic I also played was Tales of Symphonia, but though I could still finish it I don't think I ever understood less of people's raves about a game than that one.

So yes, this really is a GameCube only list. At least in the next generations I can add games for the DS and 3DS for "variety".
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote: 9. Mario Kart: Double Dash
Perhaps a very nostalgic pick, because this isn't a game I feel like revisiting anymore, which can't be said by any above or below it. Mario Kart 8 set a new standard for me and I find it hard to get back to this one, which now feels imprecise. But I still remember the fun of the races with to drivers. I like my multiplayer most if they have a high fun factor and a lot of madness and this delivered.
That's my least favorite Mario Kart : the circuits, the 2 characters thing, the controls...
My ranking would be :
Utter perfection bracket :
Mario Kart DS
Great games :
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart 8
OK :
Super Mario Kart
Meh :
Mario Kart Wii
No thanks :
Double Dash
(haven't played the arcade game and the gba one)
Rob wrote:11. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess
Does this one count?
I guess it should, though I expected people to consider it more of a Wii game.
Rob wrote:12. Super Mario Sunshine
A very divisive game, see also Nassims comment. I get that, but at the same time I wished Nintendo would have at least tried one other game following the path set by this Mario. It has a more free feeling than any before or since. Playing it again two years ago I also noticed how well it held up, despite its reputation. Perhaps because it feels somewhat as a stand-alone game in the large series it also still feels unique.
That's strange because I actually felt like you lacked freedom compared to Mario 64, there are more things you HAVE to do in there.
My biggest complain is with the waterjet controls though... or anything related to the waterbackpack, don't think it added gameplay value.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nassim wrote: My ranking would be :
Utter perfection bracket :
Mario Kart DS
That is actually the one that mostly didn't work for me. It has some fun stages and the challenge mode is a great addition that I'm sad hasn't returned, but despite this I felt I didn't have as much control over my karts as in other editions. I haven't played Mario Kart 7 actually because the last DS iteration left such a bad taste in my mouth, though I probably should pick it up sometime. I also never played the Advance game and 64 only at a friends back in the nineties. 8 feels the most tight to me, with perfect controls.
That's strange because I actually felt like you lacked freedom compared to Mario 64, there are more things you HAVE to do in there.
I think we talk about a different kind of freedom here. I was more talking about how you could more freely explore the different areas, just minding your own business, looking for secrets or splashes unsuspecting bystanders with water. I would like a Mario that combines platforming with more open areas, instead of a more set path that you usually get (outside of the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series). I should add that this comes from a person who sometimes finds himself playing Zelda and catching himself with having spend half an hour just breaking pots, cutting grass and pestering cuccoos or pigs. Silly, but sometimes I'm in such a mood, apparently.

However, I wouldn't want to suggest Sunshine is on par with Mario 64 or the two Mario Galaxies. It has a handful of lame missions and only vary rarely delivers brilliant new ideas as those three titles show almost constantly. But it has held up very well to me as a summery game.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Now we're talking! My cousin was a real gamer, so I really got into games this gen.

1) Halo 2 (my absolute favorite game of all time)
2) Pokemon Gen III (Emerald is my #2 game of all-time)
3) Super Smash Melee (the best Smash game)
4) Super Mario Sunshine (first GameCube game I ever laid eyes on)
5) Rome: Total War (not my favorite TW game, but I respect it and it deserves to be on here)
6) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Probably holds up the best of the games here)
7) Metroid Prime (A game I only enjoyed marginally, but it's still good)
8) Pikmin (sheer, unadulterated fun)
9) Madden 05 (The game that defined Madden. More than just the same game with a different cover. This was the apex of its innovation)
10) BIONICLE: Maze of Shadows (BIONICLE games were hit-or-miss, but this is the best one)
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

My list is JRPG heavy. Absolute golden age for the genre. Also, this is my college years, so probably the years I spent the most time playing games.

I also want to take the opportunity to heavily recommend the Shin Megami Tensei games for those of you who voted for Persona games. They are the perfect dungeon crawlers. Nocturne is like dark twisted Pokemon, and Digital Devil Saga are very similar games only with fixed characters instead of monster recruitment and more story.

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Star Ocean 3
3. Persona 3
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
6. Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
7. Growlanser 2
8. Persona 4
9. Tales of Symphonia
10. Ninja Gaiden
11. Metal Gear Solid 2
12. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
13. Okami
14. Growlanser 4
15. Shadow Hearts: Covenant

To me the best Mario Kart games DS, Wii and 7. 4 of my top 5 are from the same series. 8 was a bit of a let down due to disappointing tracks and way too many character palette swaps.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

1. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Comes within a hair of being as good as the first one. A reimagining of the series that Capcom actually pulled off. Next time I’m visiting Europe, remind me not to go to this creepy village.
2. Madden 2005 (PS2)
The next step in the often incremental evolution of this game. It’s like combining a video game with fantasy football. What NFL fan could ask for more.
3. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (PS2)
Two elements made this a fantastic game. The controlling time element, and the acrobatic titular character.
4. Eternal Darkness (GC)
A really cool time-tripping storyline and intuitive controls made this a great game. Perhaps my wife’s favorite game of all time.
5. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
I find the climbing mechanics a little hard to master, but other than that it’s perfection.
6. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour (GC)
Perhaps the most fun golf game of all time. I won a visor from Nintento for having one of the best scores through a promotional competition they did when the game came out.
7. Mario Kart Double Dash (GC)
The second best Mario Kart game in my opinion.
8. Time Splitters 2 (PS2)
Two-player campaign mode is really what set this game apart at the time. Multiplayer was also awesome.
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
My daughters (8 and 5) dug this game out of the closet a few weeks ago and have been playing it a lot on the Wii. I guess it stands the test of time.
10. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
I didn’t mind the character change-up, the game play and graphics were awesome.
11. Myst III Exile (PC)
I enjoyed it more than II because I didn’t get stuck and was actually able to finish the game.
12. Mario Party 4 (GC)
The funnest of the series for me, hours of gameplay for the whole family or friends.
13. God of War (PS2)
Alternate title: Kicking ass with Kratos
14. FIFA 2002 (PS2)
Game was really starting to hit its stride around about now.
15. Onimusha (PS2)
One of the launch titles for the PS2, it was a lot of fun for those needing a Resident Evil fix and also in its own right.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

It's funny; this was probably the era I played video games the most (it overlaps with my undergrad days, so lots of dorm-room Madden mixed with PC games over summer break) yet I struggled to come up with a list of 15. It's not so much because there are too many games I liked, but rather that I can think of so few to which I would be willing to return (which is to say, I'm older now and certain games of my youth no longer have any appeal). I reckon that memory is also a factor, but looking at other people's lists helped a lot. At least I'm on time this week.

1| Civilization IV - I hate that I keep voting for Civ games, but they certainly hold up better than most anything else released during these eras. In any event, this one is probably the series' peak.
2| Katamari Damacy
3| Pathologic
4| Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
5| No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
6| Unreal Tournament 2004
7| Facade
8| Madden 2005 - I do not know if this was truly the best entry in the series, but it's the one the others are voting for. Really, I see this more as vote for this console-era of Madden. Newer versions never seemed to get the gameplay right after the PS2 generation; it was like they slowed down the game too much in pursuit of realism.
9| Super Smash Bros. Melee
10| World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 / Pro Evolution Soccer 5
11| Rome: Total War
12| Darwinia
13| Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Poll is closed gentlemen.

Here are the results:

[imgsize 300x280]http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/SonicMa ... er1024.jpg[/imgsize]

1| Super Smash Bros. Melee / 151 points / 9 votes
2| Metroid Prime / 144 / 5
3| The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker / 115 / 4
4| Half-Life 2 / 86 / 4
5| Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald / 80 / 2
5| Resident Evil 4 / 80 / 2
7| Shadow of the Colossus / 75 / 3
8| Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 / 66 / 3
9| Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic / 60 / 3
10| Halo 2 / 60 / 2
11| The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind / 59 / 2
12| Civilization IV / 57 / 2
13| Beyond Good and Evil / 55 / 3
13| Madden 2005 / 55 / 3
15| Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas / 50 / 4
16| Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne / 50 / 1
17| Jet Set Radio Future / 50 / 1
18| Skies of Arcadia / 42 / 2
19| Katamari Damacy / 40 / 1
19| Star Ocean 3 / 40 / 1
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If Star Ocean 3 got in on my one vote why didn't Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Nocturne should have 50 points.

Return to “General Discussion”