Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 7th/8th Gen and 2006-

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 7th/8th Gen and 2006-

Post by JimmyJazz »

FINAL POLL BEFORE ALL-TIME VOTE!!!

Welcome, fellow AM gamers, as we celebrate the best that gaming has had to offer, from the early days of the Atari and the golden age of arcades, to the massive open worlds and innovative indie games of today.

The way that this poll will be run is as so:
There will be six mini, generational polls, focused on the 1970s-1984, 1985-1990, 1991-1995, 1996-2000, 2001-2005, and 2006-present (more specific details regarding consoles and PC games will be explained in their respective polls), to find the Top 20s of each period in gaming. Every poll will be held for entire week, opening Sunday mornings and closing Saturday by midnight. After the six weeks, there will be a month (roughly five weeks) of voting to rank the final 120 games, to create an all-time list.

You can have a ballot of any size, but it must have at least five games, and no more than 15 will be factored in.

The point formula is as follows:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 30
4. 20
5. 15
6. 10
7. 9
8. 8
9. 7
10. 6
11. 5
12. 4
13. 3
14. 2
15. 1

Also, you can feel free to allot less points for smaller lists, but not more points.

The final 20 will be compiled from the vote.

For this poll, we will be focusing on all Nintendo Wii, Wii U, DS, and 3DS, Playstation 3 and 4 (PS3/PS4) and PSP and Vita, and XBOX 360 and XBOX One games, as well as computer arcade and iOS games, released from 2006 onwards.

Here is a page for references to games released in this period: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ye ... ideo_games

Let the voting, and inevitable nostalgia for some, begin!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 7th/8th Gen and 2

Post by Pierre »

Now I'm totally out of my ground. I'm not even sure I've played fifteen games on those last ten years. Here's the top 5 of the ones I played:

1. Portal 2
2. Mirror's Edge
3. Child of Light
4. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
5. Portal
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

This is such a big span of time, especially in regards to handhelds.

1. Bioshock
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Portal 2
4. The World Ends With You
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (can I vote for the whole trilogy here?)
6. Uncharted 2
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Dark Souls
9. Virtue's Last Reward
10. The Walking Dead
11. Super Mario Galaxy 2
12. Hotline: Miami
13. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
14. Bioshock Infinite
15. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Regarding Phoenix Wright, sure thing Blue.

1| Dark Souls
2| Portal 2
3| BioShock
4| Mass Effect 2
5| Super Mario Galaxy 2
6| The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7| The Last of Us
8| Hotline Miami
9| Red Dead Redemption
10| The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
11| Demon's Souls
12| Shovel Knight
13| Limbo
14| Batman: Arkham City
15| Fallout 3
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

1. Mass Effect 2

The Mass Effect trilogy has to be one of the biggest triumphs in gaming.

2. Catherine

I hope everyone gives Catherine a chance. It's easily my favorite puzzle game ever. It's got a story about commitment and infidelity where men who are unfaithful to women are forced into a dream world at night where they have to push blocks around to create paths up a tower while the ground crumbles away, and if you die in the dream you die in real life.

3. Super Mario Galaxy

Maybe the last great Mario platformer before they decided to make the levels less 3d, everything more straightforward and simple, and generally abandon star collection. This game might have some of the best level design in the series.

4. Arkham City

This is a game I was surprised how addictive I found it. Also I like this simple comic book styled reimagining of Batman more than recent movie adaptations. Comicky without being campy. They really pulled off letting the player do everything Batman should be able to do, which is hard to do.

5. Braid

A simple 2d indie puzzle platformer where you send time backwards and forwards, with some great puzzles and possibly the coolest last level ever.

6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7. Mass Effect
8. Mass Effect 3
9. Mario Kart 7
10. Valkyria Chronicles

Maybe the last great console JRPG.

11. Shovel Knight

A throwback game that's nostalgic without being derivative. Most games that try to be nostalgic for this period fail to capture the things that made the period fun in the first place. It's even worse with games that try to be Nostalgic for 16 bit Final Fantasy. They throw in things that were in those games like elemental crystals and turn based mechanics, but make everything just kind of silly. Shovel Knight culls the best ideas from games like Megaman and DuckTales while still doing something unique and original without being derivative of the games it was influenced by.

Zelda: Link Between Worlds is also on the list of games that focused on nostalgic appeal but missed the mark because the dungeon design is streamlined and dumbed down.

12. Demon's Souls
13. Super Meatboy
14. Tales of Hearts R
15. Tales of Graces

Tales is good at churning out like a game a year, and now we actually get most of them in the US, and most of them fall somewhere in the B+ range.

Others:
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Xillia
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
Limbo
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Radiant Historia
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Ok, pretty sure i'm forgetting a big one :

1) Borderlands 2 : funniest game ever, I laughed through most of it... all kinds of humor really : gross, black, witty, absurd, referential... Doesn't hurt that the gameplay is great, playing through takes a lot of time, coop is great, story is interesting etc. etc. etc. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is one of the best DLC ever, completely justify buying it... plus Tiny Tina is a hilarious character. I'd say the best skill tree are on the other two game (Mordecai's eagle and Athena's shield) but those on this game are all solid, except the disappointing Zer0 (though my fav, the Mechromancer, is a DLC)
2) Mario Kart DS : my favorite Mario Kart, controls are perfect. Unlike the following games, and especially the one on Wii, you can't win just by having the best items. If you're good enough, a blue shell won't beat you (heck, I remember winning after 3 blue shells)
3) Batman : Arkham City : the game has ton of gameplay qualities but it's all about how perfectly Gotham is created, thanks among other once again to Mark Hamill's joker interpretation
4) The Walking Dead : Season 1 : most heartbreaking moment in videogame history... wouldn't work without the 2 fantastic lead characters, Lee is the perfect role model and Clementine is the greatest kid character ever (sorry Tiny Tina)
5) Portal 2
6) No More Heroes : not as hilarious as Borderlands 2, but still a lot of fun... damn that silly censorship though, game lost some style in Europe
7) Limbo
8) Left 4 Dead
9) Marvel : Avengers Alliance : yes, a facebook game. Even worse, a freemium. But that's one I have been playing for more than 2 years now (3 ?) and still have fun with thanks to numerous updates. The thing is that you don't have to pay to have fun and go far, pretty much anything in the game is doable if you play enough, no need to pay. I guess the highest level PVP players paid quite a lot, but you can unlock any character you want with patients or hardwork. Furthermore if you pay, you actually get something worse your money, unlike some other games were there are stuff you can't get without paying and where the price of anything is egregious (I'm looking at you Simpsons Tapped Out). In the end I think I have spent about the price of a normal game in it which I did happily since it's not that much over a 2 year span, while I never did and never will pay for Tapped Out or Candy Crush or pretty much any other freemium.
10) Marvel vs Capcom 3
11) ????
12) Red Dead Redemption : even as one of its few supporters, I completely forgot to vote for Red Dead Revolver last week. Red Dead Redemption is the superior game (not much of a sequel) but Revolver had some fun qualities and antics that would have been welcome in the game
13) Rogue Legacy : talking about games with a retro vibe, that's a fairly great one. That's the only "rogue like" I have played so far (I'd like to try Faster than Light sometimes) but a pretty damn fine one
14) Fable 2
15) Deathspank : another very fun game by the creator of Monkey Island, funniest moment is when after minutes of random quotes an old wise men decides to tell you the secret of Monkey Island but you can't put with his rambling anymore and tell him to shut up
16) Super Smash Bros Brawl
17) Portal
18) VVVVVV
19) Fire Emblem Awakening
20) Borderlands
21) Batman : Arkham Asylum
22) South Park : the Stick of Truth
23) Bioshock Infinite
24) Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
25) GTA V
26) Plants vs Zombies
27) The Professor Layton serie
28) Might & Magic : Clash of Heroes
29) Gears of War
30) The Stanley Parable

I'm currently playing the Last Remnant, good surprise so far despite the complete lack of charisma of the lead character (almost as annoying as the one from the Catcher in the Rye... almost)
Biggest regret : I haven't played The World Ends With You

Favorite music moment is when you reach Mexico for the first time in Red Dead Redemption :
Last edited by Nassim on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote: 11) Portal

17) Portal
Nassim, you voted twice for Portal :)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Pierre wrote:
Nassim wrote: 11) Portal

17) Portal
Nassim, you voted twice for Portal :)
Dammit... pretty sure my #11 was something else but can't remember what... something nobody else voted for yet, that's all I'm sure of ><
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Before I make my list I have a question regarding Smash Bros 4. The Pokémon games are always taken together as one game per generation and I feel like the same goes for the new Smash Bros, considering the 3DS game and WiiU edition seem part of a whole. I don't want to vote for them separately so I hope it's alright if I take them as one entry. BluePanda voted only for WiiU, by the way.

I didn't pay much attention when these polls where set-up, so probably I'm asking something stupid, but why are the seventh and eighth generation taken together. I know the 8th isn't complete yet, but this feels as a lot of ground to cover for one list. I may not have played as many games on a yearly basis as I did in the period from 2002 and 2005. in fact, I hardly played any games from roughly 2006 to 2008, but over the course of 10 years I still played far more that would qualify for a list. It's going to be tough making choices here (I have no idea how to tackle the Brawl/ Smash Bros 4 difference). Not that I demand a change, mind. I'm just curious why this isn't two five year periods as before?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'd be for combining Smash Bros. 3DS and WiiU, they are sister games.

And other than handhelds, the 8th gen has barely even started. Gen 7 is just really freaking long. The PS4 and Xbox One are barely over a year old, the WiiU 2 (and it always takes a year or so before relevant games come out). I think the only thing adding the 8th Gen by itself would do is overrepresent the 3DS and Wii U.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I got around the problem of covering ten years by only allowing one entry per series (though I see Super Mario Bros and Mario Galaxy as separate series). A concession, but it works so I can cover more ground. Again, it's heavily Nintendo-centric; sorry for that:

1. Super Smash Bros. for WiiU/ for 3DS.
So, which Super Smash Bros has to be #1 during this period? Brawl has given me six years of satisfaction, but it is also probably the least balanced edition yet. Super Smash Bros 4 has its flaws. The choice to make two versions is the main reason: it seemed that most original ideas for stages went to the 3DS, where the WiiU has mostly more of the same. Conversely, the extra modes are far better (but still somewhat flawed) on the WiiU, which is also more the go-to version for multiplayer. But flaws hardly seem to matter, because the core gameplay gets perfected here and the best thing about it is how extremely well balanced it is and how tight the gameplay has become. It’s surely going to last 6 years.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles.
Smash Bros is number one by default, I’m afraid. Officially Xenoblade counts as the #2, but I consider it a shared first place. Maybe I have played too few games on other systems, but even than I doubt that there will be too many games that come with such an expansive world as this one. It has about 200 hours worth of gameplay and world-exploring. It’s a imaginatively designed world and the greatest game soundtrack I have yet encountered (sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAW4xlbyu28). Even the story is compelling. One nice touch that actually boring side missions (gather so much of this item, defeat so many of these enemies, etc.) are interesting because they usually go together with a nice backstory. It’s divine. It’s a somewhat overlooked masterpiece (though main character Shulk is playable in Smash Bros), but keep your eyes out for the 3DS-port that’s coming, if you missed it.

3. Pokémon X & Y.
I missed Black & White, but did play Diamond & Pearl. Maybe skipping one generation of Pokémon made me miss significant changes, but to me it felt as if Pokémon X & Y finally got it completely right in terms of presentation and especially online play (something Nintendo doesn’t usually excel in). I’ve always liked this game series a lot, but after a while I thought it could use some polish and it happened here. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but extends its basis in such a way it feels fresh again. Also extra point for full, extensive animation for the Pokémon themselves. About time.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Only the second Fire Emblem I’ve played (the other being Shadow Dragon), but I’ve quickly become a fan of the series. Great campaigns, tons of content, an interesting story, lots and lots of fun characters and a lot of depth. This is probably also the first strategy game that doubles as a dating same. As a lot of games in my list it isn’t really revolutionary, but mostly a perfection and extension of an existing series.

5. Little King’s Story.
This one is actually very original. Probably the most original one on this list actually. Hands up if you knew this existed. It’s a strange mix between Pikmin and something like Age of Empires, about a little kid who conquers the world and captures a lot of princesses. Really. It looks like the most childish game ever, has sweet music, but carries a sly dark streak of humour with it. It’s also pretty tough. And try to get that ending out your head.

6. Super Mario Galaxy 2.
In the line of the games that polish more than innovate, I chose part 2 of Mario Galaxy over the superb first edition, since it does everything better. It’s hard to imagine a game that just builds on the basis of its predecessor to feel more original than its example, but Galaxy 2 just manages that. It’s a constant stream of clever gameplay ideas.

7. The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass.
The toughest choice was choosing which Zelda I was going to add. Most of them deserve a spot (and that’s excluding spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors - which I disliked - and Link’s Crossbow Training – which I never played). Luckily I already voted for Twilight Princess last time, though it wouldn’t be my pick for this generation anyway. Like A Link Between Worlds it’s a great game, almost perfect in its execution, but it plays it safe, building on the solid base of earlier Zelda’s. Skyward Sword dared to be more innovative. That worked well in some ways and I liked the game a lot, but sadly the game felt less as a whole, because the world is not continues, something I think is bad for a Zelda.
So I went for The Phantom Hourglass. It’s actually the most fun of the bunch, but also the one whose innovations work best. The touch-screen and the dual screens of the DS where never used better and more intuitively. The central dungeon to which you keep returning has been a divisive element among players, but I’m a fan. Phantom Hourglass seems overlooked nowadays, but I’ll keep defending it. Not its predecessor Spirit Tracks however, which only lets you explore the world on rails in a train. Ugh!

8. Mario Kart 8.
I’ve said it before, but this is my favourite Mario Kart. Never felt the controls more accurate and the wider circuits are a nice addition. The gravity thing is a gimmick which impressed more graphically than gameplay-wise, but it doesn’t hinder the game either. Also, the online element is handled very well.

9. Donkey Country Returns.
So starts my run of 3 2D platformers, a genre that seemed extinct the previous genre, but has been resurrected almost to a fault. The ranking is somewhat arbitrary, but Donkey Kong gets the highest placement, if only because it is tough as nails (a problem with too many platformer nowadays is that they are easy) and keeps finding a lot of variety in its stages. It’s consistently entertaining and infuriating. It also makes you worship Diddy Kong, because without him you’ll probably go crazy.

10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
When New Super Mario Bros. came out for the DS it was a welcome return to the series’ roots, even if the game itself isn’t all that memorable. New Super Mario Bros. Wii also seems somewhat of a watered down version of the legendary classics for NES and SNES, but it has one ace to play: its multiplayer. Play this with four persons at the same time and this ordinary Mario game transforms into a pile of madness and feels truly imaginative.

11. Rayman: Origins.
This may actually be the most satisfying of this trilogy of platformers of mine, but it ranks lowest, because it really steels from the both of them. The gameplay and level design is almost identical to Donkey Kong Country Returns and the multiplayer is taking form New Super Mario Bros. Yet it greatly realized in every way and its look and sound are truly unique and inspired. A great return to form of a child hero of mine, after the okay Rayman 3 and the uninteresting Raving Rabid games.

12. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
Like part 2, Metroid Prime 3 suffers only for one reason: part 1 did everything so perfectly, there is nowhere to go from there. All the sequels could try to do was just keeping on par with it. Corruption does it slightly better and has an attempt at more story thrown in, which is nice. It holds up as well as one, which is an achievement in itself.

13. The Wonderful 101.
A weird action game, with a wacky sense of humour, in which you control 100 superheroes at the same time! It’s hilarious, unpredictable and the way it keeps making the final boss battle bigger and bigger is something you have to see to believe it. Maybe a bit hard to get into, but if you do it is well worth the ride.

14. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies.
The only version I ever played of this series. Big, unwieldy and a very satisfying RPG in a somewhat old-fashioned mould with a lot of interesting subplots.

15. Pikmin 3.
Could rank higher, but after waiting for 9 years on a new entry of this series I hoped on something a bit more innovating. It’s more of the same, but executed very well and I guess after 9 years I just needed a new fix of Pikmin.

As said, I miss some entries of series that are already represented here, but besides that 15 covers exactly the ground I wanted to cover. Nonetheless, I enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Super Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Tetris DS and Nintendo Land. The biggest disappointment was Metroid: Other M. The gameplay isn't bad (though not up to par with Prime either), but it lacks atmosphere and it made Samus into a whining high school type girl...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Sorry for not consistently responding to the posts lately. Been enjoying my spring break with family and friends. As far as the Smash Bros. entry Rob, its perfectly fine by me.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote:
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2.
In the line of the games that polish more than innovate, I chose part 2 of Mario Galaxy over the superb first edition, since it does everything better. It’s hard to imagine a game that just builds on the basis of its predecessor to feel more original than its example, but Galaxy 2 just manages that. It’s a constant stream of clever gameplay ideas.
I'm not sure I agree that Galaxy 2 is an improvement over the original. The levels are far less 3d than the original. Usually you're either moving along a single plane, or you're sliding down a corridor at a constant rate, or you're running around in a plane with a purely overhead perspective. The more 3d levels of the original are far more interesting to me. Running around on a sphere, the inside of a cylinder, hitting switches on one side of a plate that affect the other side, much better area design. I hear they intentionally dumbed down the 3d-ness of the levels to make it more accessible to the younger part of the Japanese audience.

Also in Galaxy 2, every time you die a few times not only does it offer hints and cheats without the ability to turn it off, it has the guy try to comfort you with that "We all know you've been fighting hard for us!" thing. Also whenever you've been playing 45 minutes it intrusively tells you to take a break. It kind of feels like the game is treating you like a six year old and you can't turn any of it off.

Galaxy 2 does a far better job with comets, I guess.

I may have unfairly dismissed Tropical Freeze because I was mad they removed the tag team mechanic from the SNES games.

@JimmyJazz

Did you see my comment in the 6th gen thread? I think you didn't count my first place vote.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote:
Rob wrote:
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2.
I'm not sure I agree that Galaxy 2 is an improvement over the original. The levels are far less 3d than the original. Usually you're either moving along a single plane, or you're sliding down a corridor at a constant rate, or you're running around in a plane with a purely overhead perspective. The more 3d levels of the original are far more interesting to me. Running around on a sphere, the inside of a cylinder, hitting switches on one side of a plate that affect the other side, much better area design. I hear they intentionally dumbed down the 3d-ness of the levels to make it more accessible to the younger part of the Japanese audience.

Also in Galaxy 2, every time you die a few times not only does it offer hints and cheats without the ability to turn it off, it has the guy try to comfort you with that "We all know you've been fighting hard for us!" thing. Also whenever you've been playing 45 minutes it intrusively tells you to take a break. It kind of feels like the game is treating you like a six year old and you can't turn any of it off.
I never experienced it like that, although I hardly died in it outside of the extra missions (I never died much in part 1 either). In fact, every time I had a chance I played as Luigi, which makes the game a little bit tougher. A few exceptions aside, I find most Nintendo games from Nintendo 64 on-wards rather easy, though.

I do agree about the game telling you to take a break. It's silly. And it has extended to some other Nintendo games as well, including even Fire Emblem, which is not a game for little kids I think.
I may have unfairly dismissed Tropical Freeze because I was mad they removed the tag team mechanic from the SNES games.
I haven't gotten around playing Tropical Freeze yet, so I can't judge that. I did like the tag team thing a lot in the old Donkey Kong games, but if the system of Tropical Freeze is anything like in the first Donkey Kong Country Returns, with Diddy Kong becoming a temporary extension of Donkey Kong, I actually think it's a change that adds much tension. Instead of Diddy Kong just being sort of an extra life with minor variations in moves he now opens up new possibilities. Both systems work, but I like the variation.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

One thing I hated in DKCR is how they smatter the collectible stuff in just random corners of every level instead of cleverly hiding them in interesting places like they did in DKC2.

I dislike the star coins in new 2d Mario games for the same reason. Having to search every random nook and cranny of a level to collect stuff you need to complete the game = Boring. Having optional bonus stuff hidden around in clever places = Fun.

To me the most fun part of DKC2 was using the animals or using throwing your buddy to access weird places. They pretty much took out both in the DKCR.

The only levels in the Galaxy games I had a lot of deaths on were some of the comets at the very end. Like the Luigi purple coin level. But if there is a level like that, I don't want it offering hints to me if I can't turn it off in some options menu. If you want to offer hints and cheats to younger players who get frustrated if they die a few times, have an options menu where you can set 'HINTS: ON'. Don't just leave it on for everyone.

There hasn't been a truly hard Mario game since the Lost Levels, but the star collecting ones tend to have a few challenging parts.

Also Super Luigi U has a few very hard levels in world 9, but unfortunately you're forced to collect every star coin in the entire world to access them, which is a rather tedious thing to do since some of the secret levels you will only find on your own by ground pounding every square in the game.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The tally in the 6th Gen poll has been fixed, Jirin.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: The only levels in the Galaxy games I had a lot of deaths on were some of the comets at the very end. Like the Luigi purple coin level. But if there is a level like that, I don't want it offering hints to me if I can't turn it off in some options menu. If you want to offer hints and cheats to younger players who get frustrated if they die a few times, have an options menu where you can set 'HINTS: ON'. Don't just leave it on for everyone.
Alright, but nobody is forcing you to actually use this help system. It's there, but you can just walk right past it, which is what I did in the rare instances it appeared. I can't get to worked up by something you can simply choose to ignore.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote:
Jirin wrote: The only levels in the Galaxy games I had a lot of deaths on were some of the comets at the very end. Like the Luigi purple coin level. But if there is a level like that, I don't want it offering hints to me if I can't turn it off in some options menu. If you want to offer hints and cheats to younger players who get frustrated if they die a few times, have an options menu where you can set 'HINTS: ON'. Don't just leave it on for everyone.
Alright, but nobody is forcing you to actually use this help system. It's there, but you can just walk right past it, which is what I did in the rare instances it appeared. I can't get to worked up by something you can simply choose to ignore.
I'm not 'Worked up' so much as 'Irked'. It's one small negative. It's insulting for games to offer unrequested cheats. It's more a sad sign of the direction of the video game industry in general: Games aren't supposed to be hard, winning isn't supposed to be an achievement, you shouldn't have to earn your victories.

It's kind of like, if I was outside playing basketball, and every time I missed a shot my opponent asked me "Sorry you missed that shot, want me to lower the basket for you?" I can just say no, but the offer is still insulting.

I'm more annoyed that they toned down the three dimensionality of the game so most of the time you're only walking in a 2d plane. Less walking on the surface of oddly shaped objects, less variable gravity, more just walking around in 2d planes.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: It's more a sad sign of the direction of the video game industry in general: Games aren't supposed to be hard, winning isn't supposed to be an achievement, you shouldn't have to earn your victories.
I can get behind that. What I mostly don't get is why the old-fashioned choice of difficulty has been available less and less in games. Perhaps it's too much work to make stages different for new difficulties?
I'm more annoyed that they toned down the three dimensionality of the game so most of the time you're only walking in a 2d plane. Less walking on the surface of oddly shaped objects, less variable gravity, more just walking around in 2d planes.
In my memory it was well balanced between 3D and 2D, but perhaps it's been too long and my memory is playing tricks on me.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

This is an overall fascinating discussion of games and difficulty gentlemen (not necessarily one I fully agree or disagree with on either side), but I would like to take the time to remind potential other voters to vote, as this thing closes at midnight tonight!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

5 is the minimum for a list, right? This is the only era I'd be able to conceivably vote in, but looking back, I've probably played less than I thought... I may have to vote for both Brawl and Sm4sh.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Go ahead. 5 is the minimum.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Okay. So my gaming experience doesn't expand beyond Nintendo and little beyond Smash Bros. I've still yet to play a Donkey Kong Country game (except Barrel Blast... *shudder*), or Metroid, or Star Fox, or even Animal Crossing. And the only Zelda game I played was when i button-mashed through half a level of Hyrule Warriors.

1. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (the only game on which I proudly boast 100%)
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. Mario Kart Wii (I'd much rather play Mario Kart 8, but I've poured hours into Wii and only played 8 twice)
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

1. Rock Band
2. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
3. Bioshock
4. Portal
5. Guitar Hero II
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Here I am.

I took so long not because I didn't play a lot of games this gen, but more that I couldn't decide which games were on the level that I'd vote for them.

1) Halo 3
2) The Last of Us
3) Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V)
4) Portal II
5) Empire: Total War
6) Pokemon Gen VI
7) Bioshock
8) Smash Bros 4
9) Borderlands
10) Fallout 3
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

EDIT: Ooops, sorry that this went on for so long, I guess I got overzealous...

Like a good number of people here, my gaming experience is pretty scant outside of the wonderful world of Nintendo (had I been able to come up with 5 games for the 6th Gen., I would have given Cave Story some love, but that's about it), and my knowledge is mediocre at best even in that regard (no Metroid, no Zelda outside of Ocarina 3DS, no Megaman, etc.), but hopefully I can rustle up a half-way decent list :D

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, 2008)
I will admit to being sentimental with this one. I recognize that Sm4sh (Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS) is undoubtedly a superior game in nearly every way, both in respect to the balance of the game (*cough cough* Brawl Ganondorf is god-awful *cough cough*) and the sheer volume of content, and that it is going to get harder and harder to go back with each passing day. However, more than any other game that I can recall, Brawl truly and deeply entertained me. Over the course of (no doubt) thousands of hours, I poured my heart and soul into this game, and for that simple reason, it earns my top spot... Plus, Subspace Emissary was the bomb (literally and metaphorically).

2. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS, 2009)
For better or for worse, I tend to value mechanics over narrative in my games. I have been unable to get into a load of fantastic games with top-notch narratives simply due to not connecting with the underlying mechanics (see the Games I haven't given a Fair Shake section), while I love a great many games with next to nothing in terms of a story (ie, every platformer on this list). As such, it seems strange that the number 2 spot would go to a Visual Novel, a game that consists entirely of story sequences (and a few relatively straightforward puzzles) - However, in this case, the story (General Premise: 9 "complete strangers" are trapped aboard a sinking ship, and are forced to play the twisted games of a madman (or madmen perhaps?) in order to escape) is simply too damn good to pass up. If it sounds intriguing, I would highly recommend checking it out - Be warned though, the some of those endings can be tear-jerkers of the highest proportion (I can confirm from personal experience) ;)

3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2007)
Simply put, this was the first video game that ever made me cry; I won't spoil anything (though it's a Mario game, there isn't much to spoil in the first place), but the Luma scene following the final boss was just too much for my 10 year old self to manage. Now you could argue that this might have been more of a testament to my emotional state as a 10 year old, and less of a testament to the narrative prowess of Nintendo, but thankfully the game is fantastic on its own terms. This is the closest I have ever come to being truly immersed in the world of Mario, not just the platforming, and it truly captures a certain spirit of exploration that hearkens back to Super Mario 64, and sadly just wasn't captured in its sequel.

4. Pokemon X and Y (3DS, 2013)
This'll give me probably the best opportunity to credit Pokemon, which was my first introduction to video games ("way back" with FireRed on GBA) and to this day is probably my favorite series. Regardless of X & Y's relatively barebones nature by the standards of previous entries (the main story was brief, to put it lightly, and there was next to no postgame outside of Looker's arc and Kiloude City), but the technical advances that the 6th Generation of Pokemon brought with it was more than enough. Hell, I could spend all day talking about the 3D models of the Pokemon vs Sprite animations, and not even cover having a full array of movement options (as opposed to 4 directional), Mega-Evolutions, gorgeous 3D environments, fully realized Wi-Fi functionality, "Customizable" outfits, etc.

5. Mario Kart DS (DS, 2005)
No questions asked, this is my favorite Mario Kart game. Everything is executed excellently, from the controls (as Nassim mentioned earlier) to the item balance (also as Nassim mentioned :D ), from the course selection to the character roster (RIP Dry Bones), even the alternate modes like Battle Mode and Mission Mode were top-notch.

6. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS, 2010)
Probably the best traditional JRPG I have played, this one is special less for its main game (it still has an excellent and very engaging storyline to it while keeping the old drop down combat menus fresh) than for the massive quantity of postgame options it features (I particularly enjoy the randomized dungeon creation system).

7. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS, 2013)
A turn-based strategy game par excellence + A masterful and often heartbreaking narrative of loss, loyalty and perseverance + A low scale relationship simulator for the inner romantic?
Yes please.

8. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (2014)
Purely on the basis of quality, these would be near the top of the list, but as it stands, it seemed a little foolhardy to put a 6 month old game that high... Nevertheless, I foresee these aging really, really well, for the reasons I addressed in the Brawl blurb.

9. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS, 2012)
If you can get past the frankly awful control scheme, this is the best rail-shooter/action game hybrid with RPG style weapon drops and Sakurai's insane level of polish that money can buy.

10. Pokemon Black and White (DS, 2011)
The 5th Generation of Pokemon had arguably the best non-legendary Pokes, as well as the best storylines (mostly thanks to N, the most fleshed out character Game Freak has pulled off, at least in the main series games)... Sure, the starters were pretty terrible, but other than that, they had it all.

11. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, 2013)
This represents an excellent middle ground between the creative but underwhelming efforts of 3D Land and the polished and well executed, yet formulaic efforts of the NSMB series; Some downright challenging platforming in the later worlds, 4 Player support, and the wonder that is the Cat Suit are just icing on the cake (literally and metaphorically again).

12. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS, 2008)
If you are ever in need of fulfillment for your Kirby fix, this is probably the meatiest source of satisfaction you can hunt down (though Sweepstakes, I'm more than willing to hear your side of the story :D )

13. Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story (DS, 2009)
I have not played Superstar Saga nor Dream Team, so I cannot pass full judgement in the context of the Mario & Luigi series, but this game was a marked improvement over Partners in Time, featuring more creative humor, a more cohesive storyline and far more polished combat mechanics than its predecessor.

14. Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)
While Mario Kart DS is the best the series got from a single player perspective, and I have heard that Mario Kart 8 is a good deal better overall, this is the tried and true multiplayer kart racing game.

15. Shovel Knight (2014)
A charming nostalgia soaked platformer with a devilish level of difficulty, this also offers a good deal of replay-ability (albeit more along the "oh my god, how am I going to do a checkpoint-less run of this?" face-melting difficulty approach, as opposed to a great deal of varied options).

16. Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow (DS, 2005)
17. Plants Vs. Zombies (2009)
18. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2009)
19. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS, 2013)
20. Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3DS, 2014)
21. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS, 2011)
22. Little King's Story (Wii, 2009)
23. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010)
24. Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga (2007)
25. Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS, 2011)

Games I Haven't Given a Fair Shake:
Little King's Story
Elite Beat Agents
Chrono Trigger (DS Remake)
The World Ends with You
Scribblenauts
Super Street Fighter IV (3DS port)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I am actually probably going to leave this thing open for one more day, by midnight tomorrow. Jeff, Rocky Raccoon, and Stephan, three regular voters, haven't submitted any lists yet, and I do feel it would be a little unfair to leave them out after consistently voting previously.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Luke, have you played Virtue's Last Reward? It's the sequel to 999.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

BleuPanda wrote:Luke, have you played Virtue's Last Reward? It's the sequel to 999.
I have not, unfortunately. I was very interested in VLR when it first came out, but other games got in the way (I tend to play for completion the first time through, so each game takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month) and I never got around to it... The Prisoner's dilemma-esque mechanic certainly seems like it would make for an intriguing scenario, though I'm not sure how I feel about the 3D models and voice acting.

Would you recommend looking into it :D ?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Definitely. I found it a great improvement over 999, which is already a pretty excellent game.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

A short and dirty list since this era is definitely out of my area of expertise. Mostly I only play sports games and games with the kids now, with the occasional adventure thrown in. These are all from PS3 and Wii, I don't own anything later.

1. Uncharted 2
2. Little Big Planet 2
3. FIFA 10
4. Resident Evil 5
5. Borderlands
6. Boom Blox
7. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
9. Uncharted
10. Dead Space
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Can I still vote tomorrow? I was away without internet the entire weekend. :(
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Stephan wrote:Can I still vote tomorrow? I was away without internet the entire weekend. :(
Feel free to, today or tomorrow :)
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks, 2006)
2. Dragon Age: Origins (BioWare, 2009)
3. Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian Entertainment, 2010)
4. BioShock (2K Games, 2007)
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks, 2011)
6. Mass Effect (BioWare, 2008)
7. Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar Games, 2008)
8. Medieval II: Total War (Creative Assembly, 2006)
9. Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks, 2008)
10. Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks, 2012)
11. Minecraft (Mojang Specifications, 2011)
12. Bioshock Infinite (Irrational Games, 2013)
13. Trials 2: Second Edition (Redlynx, 2008)
14. Mark of the Ninja (Klei Entertainment, 2012)
15. Company of Heroes (Relic, 2006)
16. Titan Quest (Iron Lore Entertainment, 2006)
17. Portal (Valve Software, 2007)
18. Mass Effect 2 (BioWare, 2010)
19. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady Studios, 2009)
20. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Starbreeze, 2013)
21. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Eidos Montreal, 2011)
22. Bastion (Supergiant Games, 2011)
23. Torchlight 2 (Runic Games, 2012)
24. BioShock 2 (2K Games, 2010)
25. Borderlands (Gearbox Software, 2009)
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

BleuPanda wrote:Definitely. I found it a great improvement over 999, which is already a pretty excellent game.
In that case thank you for the recommendation BleuPanda, I'll be sure to look into it if/when I have some cash to spare :music-rockon:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I'm going to tentatively leave this thing open for Jeff to get his ballot in, since we don't have that many voters in these things it begin with, and he has been consistent previously. Hopefully he got my PM.

The all-time poll, when started, will probably run all the way to the end of April at this point, thus giving people a month and a half to get their rankings prepared, and maybe even check out some games, too.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Anyone else excited about Bloodborne? It will probably make me get a PS4.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

I apologize again for my delayed vote. For me, this broad time frame coincides with graduate school and the beginnings of professional life. I do not own any of the consoles from these generations save for a Nintendo DS. Honestly, I cannot imagine myself ever purchasing another console. These days, I mostly find myself playing games on my phone or tablet. Usually, I do not feel like I have the time and/or energy to devote to longer, grand strategy type games (although my #7 would fall under that category). Instead, I like games that play quickly; ones that can divert me for 30 minutes while taking a train or waiting for a meeting.

1. Frozen Synapse
2. VVVVVV
3. Portal
4. Mario Kart DS
5. 80 Days
6. Braid
7. Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords
8. World of Goo
9. FTL: Faster than Light
10. New Super Mario Bros.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I think its about right to close this poll now, the largest turn out we've had! Expect results soon, and the all-time vote to open up.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:Anyone else excited about Bloodborne? It will probably make me get a PS4.
I am absolutely hyped for Bloodborne. The Souls series is one of my favorite franchises, and From easily one of the best developers out there. So, basically, this game has me hyped in a way many games don't usually do these days. Much as I want this game, I'm still hesitant about buying a console for one game, though, which I never do. Plus, college expenses currently anyways, so... Maybe later this year...

Most anticipated games for the year (or coming future) to my eyes:

Bloodborne
Zelda Wii U
MGS 5
Persona 5
No Man's Sky
Batman Arkham Knight
Kojima and Del Toro's new Silent Hill (that demo, man...)

Most hyped/wary at same time:

Star Fox Wii U (could be the first great Star Fox game since 64, but could be just as bad as the last ones...)

Really hoping for to be announced... some day... keep the faith...:
New Metroid game (3D or 2D)
The Last Guardian
Half-Life 3
Beyond Good and Evil 2
...And yes, I realize that other than the first option, the other three games are probably never going to be released, but I guy can still dream!

Also, Okami is getting a sequel, apparently! So there's that to be excited about, too!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote: Beyond Good and Evil 2
That's almost the only game I've been waiting for during the last twelve years. However, Michel Ancel has since then co-founded an independent studio, and last week, an Ubisoft employee called Yoan Fanise who worked on BG&E left Ubisoft criticizing their new policy of concentrating on big licences, harming the development of more arty projects. So the future doesn't look bright for BG&E2, and I guess it's a miracle that a game like "Child of Light" could see the light of day at Ubisoft.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Games I'm anticipating with high expectations:

Bloodborne
Persona 5
Tales of Zesteria
Arkham Knight

Games I'm anticipating with mixed expectations:

Final Fantasy XV
Xenoblade Chronicles X
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

[imgsize 240x280]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... 2cover.jpg[/imgsize]

1| Portal 2 / 155 points / 5 votes
2| BioShock / 139 / 5
3| Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS / 119 / 5
4| Mass Effect 2 / 110 / 3
5| Super Smash Bros. Brawl / 90 / 2
6| Mario Kart DS / 75 / 3
7| Portal / 65 / 3
8| The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim / 60 / 4
9| Pokemon X & Y / 60 / 3
10| Super Mario Galaxy / 60 / 2
10| Uncharted 2 / 60 / 2
12| Dark Souls / 58 / 2
13| Batman: Arkham City / 52 / 3
14| Borderlands 2 / 50 / 1
14| The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion / 50 / 1
14| Frozen Synapse / 50 / 1
14| Halo 3 / 50 / 1
14| Rock Band / 50 / 1
19| The Last of Us / 49 / 2
20| Mirror's Edge / 40 / 1 (placement determined via a tie)
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

LBP 2
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Catherine, as this is possibly the most addictive puzzle game I've ever played.

I'm surprised only one Mass Effect game made it, I would have expected the whole trilogy.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Dragon Age: Origins!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

999, since Virtue's Last Reward didn't make it.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Mirror's Edge, please
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I'm a little iffy about voting for my own selection, but eh, since I'm not the only one, 999 please :happy-partydance:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Mirror's Edge.

Return to “General Discussion”